• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

I know I had it pre-ordered since the summer, but I had a bunch of friends pre-order the game the day before launch or just hours before it. I guess the hyped suddenly settled in for them. I'm not surprised by the server overloads considering how many people own or at least have played Torchlight 1 on Steam which only increased the excitement for the sequel more. It was a pretty solid game, but the TL2 has been getting great praise along with it now having online co-op (which we sadly cannot use yet). I'd say everything, aside from it releasing right next to Borderlands 2, was lining up Torchlight 2 to be a big success.

It appears that it's going to be that way judging from the site overloading too. I just want to play some with some buddies. :(

Shepard

I didn't care for Torchlight 1...it was pretty mediocre. Skills were straightforward. Loot was boring. Dungeon wasn't too varied. Enchanting was broken.

Torchlight 2 seems a lot better so far.

Well, Torchlight is one of my most played games this gen, I really liked it, so T2 felt like a natural evolution (think Diablo 1 -> Diablo 2). Even though it had it's fair share of problems, the core was solid enough, so much that T2 builds upon it, fixing the "other" stuff (like dungeon variety). I just can't see how you can go from "thinking T1 is the most disappointing game this gen" to liking T2, but that could just be me :\

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This felt polished in beta and it feels better even now.

This game is so great.

I'm sucked into Dark Souls right now, but I'll be back soon!

TheExodu5

Banned
Well, Torchlight is one of my most played games this gen, I really liked it, so T2 felt like a natural evolution (think Diablo 1 -> Diablo 2). Even though it had it's fair share of problems, the core was solid enough, so much that T2 builds upon it, fixing the "other" stuff (like dungeon variety). I just can't see how you can go from "thinking T1 is the most disappointing game this gen" to liking T2, but that could just be me :\

For me, the core to a loot game is the loot. If this loot is boring, not much can redeem it in my eyes. Combat can be fun, but loot game combat tends to be rather simplistic...loot is what keeps you coming back.

Carm

Anyone having issues with FPS????
It will randomly drop to 30 fps, then go back to 60. In huge battles it really prefers to be around 30. Also there is obvious stuttering (due to this frame rate fluctuation).

Aside from these issues, this is the best top-down RPG I've played in a long time. Perhaps the art-style is a bit too kiddy and thus not as immersive (D3 got the atmosphere right). It's about as fluid and well animated as diablo 3, and sound is excellent too. Clear advantages over D3 is the pet system, rares and uniques drop often, and there are lots of mini-bosses (or are they real bosses - I'm not clear on this - I'm at lvl 15 atm).

cheers

Framerate is horrible when the screen gets even a little bit busy. Earlier I had posted a 15 to 18 fps drop on one skill usage, and it's gotten far worse. I'm seeing dips into the low 20's during some fights, the big boss fight to save Commander Vale was fucking awful. Not only was the fps dipping that low, it felt like I was running around in molasses. Never had a game feel this way when its dropped that low before.

Turning shadows off, particles low, bloom off, aa off, turning weather off, has almost zero effect on the framerate for me. I also get the stuttering, even when at 60fps. I haven't tried different video drivers yet, but I doubt it will fix anything. This is pretty disappointing, this game isn't pushing hardware, why is it running so bad.

Blizzard

Banned
Sigh... is there going to be a single game that launches this year without an online clusterfuck at launch?
I sort of associate it with most any big release game. Valve for instance -- Portal 2 not even launching in singleplayer because their servers were so swamped.

*edit* Carm, what system specs do you have? If there's common performance problems, we might be able to isolate something.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I just beat the Act 1 final boss in about 3 minutes without a single death. Either Veteran is easier than I thought it would be or the Embermage is OP. That said, I will die in flash if I'm not constantly on the move.

Also, Burning Pillar (Embermage level 21 skill) is goddamn ridiculous. That's one skill I'm definitely maxing out. 7 pillars that track down the nearest enemies and deal a ton of fire damage each? Yes please.

zulux21

Sigh... is there going to be a single game that launches this year without an online clusterfuck at launch?

If I recall right Dragon Quest X in japan actually had a pretty smooth launch :p
So did Wanderlust Rebirth on steam lol

I know what you mean though. I got in last night to link my accounts so I can play online (just was) unfortunately for me no one I was going to play with got in... so I am just playing online solo ><:

Booter

playing on elite hardcore
ding 12, get ready for bed
open game up again for some dumb reason
go through teleport
all mobs have respawned because i quit and reopened
i die in 2 seconds
5 hour embermage lost
good lesson learned
time to try another class

RS4-

Ugh didn't realize that to remove gems you either destroy them (save the equipment) or you save the gems by destroying the equip.

Anyway got a 4 item set completed, one of the bonuses was 20% life stolen. I'll assume that's life on hit?

What about "convey?" For example "conveys 20 physical damage for 5 secs" or something like that. Just another way to describe damage over time?

TheExodu5

Banned
How many skill points do you get in total? Trying to plan out my build.

Or is there some option to respec entirely? All I've found so far is that I can respec my last 3 points.

Zimbardo

after playing Diablo 3 for so long now, it feels so damn good to see skill trees and manual distribution of skill points again.

and the loot is way, way, way better in Torchlight 2. Blizzard should be embarrassed.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
How many skill points do you get in total? Trying to plan out my build.

Or is there some option to respec entirely? All I've found so far is that I can respec my last 3 points.

You get 5 stat points and 1 skill point per regular level. You get 1 skill point per fame level. Level cap is 100, but I don't know what the fame cap is.

There's no full respec for now, but there will be once the mod tools release.

Miker

Does anybody have worse performance in borderless window mode compared to normal fullscreen? Fullscreen is smooth as butter, but borderless window chugs for some reason, which is odd, because I use that on TF2, SC2, and other games with no appreciable hit to the framerate.

Kenaras

Can't see how you could be so disappointed with Torchlight, what were your expectations? If you didn't like T1, you'll probably don't like T2: they took T1's ideas and evolved all to the next level, but in its core, it's still T1 mechanics (should I say, ARPG mechanics). Seriously, what in T1 burned you so bad?

I can make a big, detailed list of minor issues if you're really interested, but that seems like it's straying a bit too off-topic in a thread about Torchlight II. What it really comes down to is I got bored very quickly. I tried to continue playing anyway - the stellar soundtrack and intensely nostalgic Diablo feel made me want to like the game. Eventually I just had to give up.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I can make a big, detailed list of minor issues if you're really interested, but that seems like it's straying a bit too off-topic in a thread about Torchlight II. What it really comes down to is I got bored very quickly. I tried to continue playing anyway - the stellar soundtrack and intensely nostalgic Diablo feel made want to like the game. Eventually I just had to give up.

I think TL1 is rather boring, but TL2 is just fantastic. It really has blown me away. Great loot table, awesome combat, great exploration, and some really fun dungeons with plenty of fresh scenery.

Also, you can have a ferret with goggles.

TheExodu5

Banned
Planning out an Engineer Tankish build:

Shield Bash
Overload
Sword and Board
Bulwark
Fire and Spark
Fire Bash
Rest into Supercharge or Charge Domination

Thoughts?

Wonder if I should drop something for healbot...

antitrop

Damn, this engine kind of sucks. I get tons of slowdown in certain areas on an overclocked i7-2600k (4.6ghz) and GTX 590. Seems absurd considering the graphics aren't that good.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Damn, this engine kind of sucks. I get tons of slowdown in certain areas on an overclocked i7-2600k (4.6ghz) and GTX 590. Seems absurd considering the graphics aren't that good.

I get a solid 60 all the time (dips down a bit when there's like 20 dudes on the screen). Phenom II X4 840 3.4ghz, 8 GB RAM, Radeon 6950.

Could this be the first game in existence that a Radeon runs better? :p

antitrop

I get a solid 60 all the time (dips down a bit when there's like 20 dudes on the screen). Phenom II X4 840 3.4ghz, 8 GB RAM, Radeon 6950.

Could this be the first game in existence that a Radeon runs better? :p
Maybe it's because I'm running in Windowed Fullscreen. But it's literally dropping down to the teens in certain areas. Other times it's smooth 60s.

Also it seems like it's barely using my GPU at all, only running 5c higher than idle. I'll try turning off V-Sync, I doubt this game needs it.

Also the online functionality of this game has a worse launch than Diablo III, wtf.

TheExodu5

Banned
I think I like the look of the game with Rim Lighting off better...

Rim Lighting On:
rlon.png

Rim Lighting Off:
rloff.png

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
My Embermage at the end of Act 1:

Xanthos
Embermage - Level 21

Strength - 18
Dexterity - 34
Focus - 89
Vitality - 30

Inferno
Magma Spear - 6/15
Burning Pillar - 1/15
Charge Mastery - 3/15
Fire Brand - 1/15

Frost
Frost Phase - 1/15
Ice Brand: - 1/15

Storm
Prismatic Bolt - 6/15
Thunder Locus - 5/15
Wand Chaos - 1/15
Lightning Brand - 1/15

embermage-endofact1-lz4uew.png

The only change I want to take back is the point in Wand Chaos. It's just not useful enough for me. I also have trouble figuring out good stat distribution, but item bonuses help out with that.

Blizzard

Banned
Also the online functionality of this game has a worse launch than Diablo III, wtf.
I thought when Diablo III launched people couldn't play, or had lag in singleplayer, because of server issues? :/ I'm sorry you're having FPS issues. If anyone has tips feel free to share. I tried turning bloom off myself to see if it helps FPS.

Unrelated note, I'm in a dungeon now and skeletons jump down from ledges. My pet somehow jumped up and killed one, which dropped an item on a ledge I can't reach. There's no way to get my pet to pick up the item, right? It's an L-shaped ledge, no stairs or anything, and I think it was only meant to be temporary so monsters could jump off of it.

thetrin

What? No it doesn't. If anything, it's slightly better purely because we can actually play the game in some form.

Carm

I sort of associate it with most any big release game. Valve for instance -- Portal 2 not even launching in singleplayer because their servers were so swamped.

*edit* Carm, what system specs do you have? If there's common performance problems, we might be able to isolate something.

AMD Phenom II 940 3Ghz
460GTX SC 1gb
Win 7 64bit
8gb memory
(DDR2 memory, 6 year old motherboad) Though that shouldn't have any bearing on this issue when I can run other games that are far more stressful to systems.

Edit: listed wrong cpu, not really much difference though.

Sye d'Burns

Put in a fair bit of time today. I've been enjoying playing the engineer.

I really should start over. Normal is way too easy so far. I'm level 21 and have around 100 stat points and something like 12 skill points that I've yet to allocate. I just haven't felt the need.

Two quibbles:

1) Items have defaulted to where a tag shows when they drop. I like this. I must have hit a button somewhere or something, because now I have to hit alt. I have no clue what I did but it sucks and I can't figure out how to change it back. Does anyone have any idea how to remedy this?

2) Everything was going fine. I had just beaten the
Regent - that battle lasted way too long, which made what happened next that much more insufferable
and had an over-abundance of stuff. So, I dumped off the valuable stuff that I wanted to spend time comparing and sent my hawk back to town with the more common fare. While he was gone, I had my pile of loot sitting on the ground waiting for the two minutes until it returned. I walked over to the unopened
boss chest
and, all of a sudden, the damned
Guardian of the Wild
decided to land on my ass. Causing 34K damage and killing me dead. It cost me 4k to res next to my loot. Senseless death - boooooo!

antitrop

I thought when Diablo III launched people couldn't play, or had lag in singleplayer, because of server issues? :/ I'm sorry you're having FPS issues. If anyone has tips feel free to share. I tried turning bloom off myself to see if it helps FPS.
Single player isn't online functionality. Sure, you couldn't play Diablo III for the first couple of hours at the midnight launch, but for about 90% of the time the day after it worked just fine.
I haven't been able to make a Torchlight II account all day, although yes, I am able to play Torchlight II offline. Big deal.
Also turning off V-Sync seems to have fixed FPS issues, it's not needed anyway.

And holy shit, the pathfinding in this game is pathetic. So frustrating.

I still like it though, but it's frustratingly unpolished in some areas. But hey, it's $20, I'm not expecting perfection here, but I just wished when dealing with tiered terran my character didn't bounce around like a fucking pinball trying to figure out which way my mouse cursor is trying to get him to go. Nitpicking on a solid budget title, though.

AMD Phenom II 945 3Ghz
460GTX SC 1gb
Win 7 64bit
8gb memory
(DDR2 memory, 6 year old motherboad) Though that shouldn't have any bearing on this issue when I can run other games that are far more stressful to systems.

something is up man. I have the same specs except for faster RAM and CPU and I didn't notice any serious slowdown, even with 32xCSAA.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
1) Items have defaulted to where a tag shows when they drop. I like this. I must have hit a button somewhere or something, because now I have to hit alt. I have no clue what I did but it sucks and I can't figure out how to change it back. Does anyone have any idea how to remedy this?

Click the magnifying glass next to the health globe. Green means items show automatically. You can also go to the options and control which items show. No more having to carefully click around the common loot to grab what you want.

tonight I'm going to get some "LAN" play happening using Tunngle or Hamaachi if the linking problems aren't sorted out, I'll explain how to get it set up in the 2nd post if it goes well.

sixghost

I wonder if it would be possible to play online via a tunneling service like Hamachi.

What are some skills I should focus on if I'm a 2-hand Engineer?

Sye d'Burns

Click the magnifying glass next to the health globe. Green means items show automatically. You can also go to the options and control which items show. No more having to carefully click around the common loot to grab what you want.

Gahhhhh! Thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you! It was driving me batty.

TheExodu5

Banned
Game is so much fun on Elite.

I'll hesitate to call this the best loot game ever, since I'm barely into it...but damn it leaves a good first impression.

I wasn't even going to buy the game since I wasn't really expecting much...thankfully a friend of mine gifted it to me. Thanks friend!

antitrop

For a spellcaster, how useful is it really to pump a few points into Strength here and there? Or should I just pretty much min/max Force?

thetrin

For a spellcaster, how useful is it really to pump a few points into Strength here and there? Or should I just pretty much min/max Force?

I would think VIT and DEX would be useful for health and crit chance.

Gattsu25

Banned
I wonder if it would be possible to play online via a tunneling service like Hamachi.

What are some skills I should focus on if I'm a 2-hand Engineer?
I posted this earlier:
If you want to use hamachi for LAN play with remote peoples:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Torchlight/comments/107d83/playing_lan_via_hamachi/c6b5bhi
Hamachi is working for me and my mates. Network and Sharing center -> Change adapter settings -> hamachi -properties -> tcp 4 -> advanced Metric : Default 9000 -> set to 1

I've been playing remote with my family in FL using this​

Top Bottom