• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Adnor

Banned
Some quick noob questions, just turned level 2. The music is good and the pets are adorable. :)

1. Is there a way to kite, like in league of legends? As in, automatically attack enemies that are in range, so I can run away from an enemy, automatically turn and shoot once, then turn and keep running, etc.? I can click away, then click on the enemy, but for fast-moving enemies I could see this being a problem, when I'd like an autoattack option (also it'd be nice not to have to hold down the button potentially).

2. Do I need to worry a lot about my pet dying? Is it permanent if it does, or do you just lose it for a while?

1. I don't think so, at least I haven't seen it.

2. It will run of the battle for a while. You don't even lose money or items.

EDIT:
http://torchlight2armory.com/item?i=-9163287413027686395
This is the axe I found. 43 health steal <3

Blizzard

Banned
One more dumb question, what's Charge? I see stuff that mentions building charge but I don't see a description of how I use it. :p

Saprol

Some quick noob questions, just turned level 2. The music is good and the pets are adorable. :)

1. Is there a way to kite, like in league of legends? As in, automatically attack enemies that are in range, so I can run away from an enemy, automatically turn and shoot once, then turn and keep running, etc.?

2. Do I need to worry a lot about my pet dying? Is it permanent if it does, or do you just lose it for a while?

One more dumb question, what's Charge? I see stuff that mentions building charge but I don't see a description of how I use it. :p

Did they seriously add something like that in LoL? :/
Anyhow, I don't think there's something along the lines of lock-on targetting for skills.

Pet taking full damage just means it won't participate in the fight.

You can hover your cursor over your charge meter and it should tell you what your class gains from using it.

Adnor

Banned

It's the bar above the hotketys, every class has a different charge. The charge build up attacking enemies, at least with the engineer.

red13th

Berserker is fun. I have no idea how to build so I'm just prioritizing Dexterity/Strength/Vitality in this order. Especially Dexterity since I got a nice claw drop that required something like 47 Dexterity.

Blizzard

Banned
Did they seriously add something like that in LoL? :/
Anyhow, I don't think there's something along the lines of lock-on targetting for skills.

Pet taking full damage just means it won't participate in the fight.

You can hover your cursor over your charge meter and it should tell you what your class gains from using it.
In league of legends, you automatically attack the nearest (or most recently targeted) enemy unless you force your character to pause, which means kiting doesn't require double mouse movement.

And oooh thanks, I didn't realize the middle bar was the charge bar.

drkOne

1. Is there a way to kite, like in league of legends? As in, automatically attack enemies that are in range, so I can run away from an enemy, automatically turn and shoot once, then turn and keep running, etc.? I can click away, then click on the enemy, but for fast-moving enemies I could see this being a problem, when I'd like an autoattack option (also it'd be nice not to have to hold down the button potentially).

It's possible to kite, but I doubt there's an auto-attack option. Animation makes it harder to kite than Diablo 3, but you should have no problem doing it.

Your pet doesn't die, just stays out of combat for a while if it "dies".

In league of legends, you automatically attack the nearest (or most recently targeted) enemy unless you force your character to pause, which means kiting doesn't require double mouse movement.

Auto-attack is a double-edged sword in my opinion. More so in League actually. Also if you're playing Outlander (ranged class), between dodges, knock backs and a little kiting, you should have no problem keeping yourself out of melee range.

Saprol

And oooh thanks, I didn't realize the middle bar was the charge bar.

Oh, brain fart. I thought you wanted skills to magically fire at mobs. Characters don't really auto-attack in most ARPGs.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh, brain fart. I thought you wanted skills to magically fire at mobs. Characters don't really auto-attack in most ARPGs.
Gotcha, I'm pretty new to ARPGs, though I played Torchlight a little.

It looks like retrying account creation finally went through, so I should show up as GAFBlizzard (or the normal Steam stuff).

MrKaepora

Just entered a sidequest dungeon with references to
The Goonies. Including finding Chester Copperpot's corpse. And looting it gives you One Eyed Willy's Other Eye. A blue quality socketable gem.

Love this game.
Glad that someone else found this.

I only have 2 hours or so of play but I'm already in love with this. One of the things that I noticed from the first game, is that Torchlight II seem to be harder. The hordes of bad guys in some of the caves that I've been were imense and they certainly give a lot of fight. Graphics, menus, effects ( love when the enemies explode in a pool of blood), etc, are really great too. Glad that we can keep the pets and we can sent them to buy itens in shops.

Like many here, I was unable to create a runic account to try the online, but the single player campaign it's great and it seems we have an even bigger world than in the first game to cover.

Going to sleep now. Tomorrow will definitely play it again.

We're sorry, but something went wrong.

¬_¬

sorry-something-went-wrong.png

I'm at work for another few hours anyway >.>

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
We're sorry, but something went wrong.

¬_¬

Yeah, the whole login site exploded. It's a shame too, because I just need to associate my ID with Steam and I'm ready to play.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm still waiting on the last step, linking to Steam.

Also, framerate seems to drop for me (40-50) if I get around fire. I guess I'll try turning shadows to less than max. 1680x1050, 5850, e8400 3.0 GHz Windows 7 64-bit.

I'd like to play some co-op, but having fun playing solo. Whenever they get that online thing sorted out, I'll hop on. Admiring this Embermage I'm playing as. No unique drops yet...

Saprol

I guess I should have brought more health pots to the boss fight. Lv10 Embermage versus Lv12 boss didn't end well when I specced frost spells and there's a bunch of frost-aligned mobs that use homing attacks. ;_;

Blizzard

Banned
Actually I can't figure out the framerate for sure. I suspect it might be particles, since turning the shadows nearly all the way off didn't seem to realy fix it...but then it started working for a while. So it might be something in the background on my computer, or it might be related to lots of monsters and flaming buildings, or it might be particle effects causing dips. Overall though I like the game so far. :)

Teknoman

It's awesome.
It's $20.
It's time to get it.

Oh, and lots of loots.

I'd tell you but something went wrong.

when it works, it works.

loot game of the forever

if you're on the fence, try the demo.

Had no idea there was a demo already, so thanks for the heads up. Its not that I was on the fence, just wanted to know if it was that big of an improvement over TL1...and trying to figure out how i'll bounce between that and Borderlands 2 and GW2 lol.

Absolutely loving this so far. The music, the style, everything is great. Got my Engineer to 13 so far, I like how it is a mix of a few different classes (paladin, warrior, pet summons). Really wish I could play more but I have work in the morning.

Had no idea there was a demo already, so thanks for the heads up. Its not that I was on the fence, just wanted to know if it was that big of an improvement over TL1...and trying to figure out how i'll bounce between that and Borderlands 2 and GW2 lol.

the hour I've played so far, it's a huge improvement on the first game. it's like they made a list of all the suggestions people made after torchlight and implemented them on top of dozens of other great little features, but still kept the core gameplay largely unchanged since it was already so damned fun.

Blizzard

Banned
For whomever was asking, pressing 'm' cycles through map overlay locations, including I think turning it off, and you can change the transparency in the settings menus.

Teknoman

the hour I've played so far, it's a huge improvement on the first game. it's like they made a list of all the suggestions people made after torchlight and implemented them on top of dozens of other great little features, but still kept the core gameplay largely unchanged since it was already so damned fun.

Probably going to go ahead and run through the demo, then snag the game. Soundtrack is amazing as expected, so I guess i'll just use the demo as a way of seeing what class I want to use.

TheExodu5

Banned
How's Elite difficulty? Is it fair, but challenging? I can handle a bit of grind...just not looking for launch Diablo 3 Inferno levels of smashing my face against the keyboard.

Hi there!

The Runic Account Manager is currently offline for maintenance as of 08:27 PM PDT.

Sorry for the inconvenience. We should be back shortly.

This does not affect your ability to play internet multiplayer Torchlight II if you have already linked your account. If you need to link your account, please come back in a little while.

If you have any customer service issues, please visit our support site at https://support.runicgames.com.

Thank you for your patience,
Runic Games

orly.

How's Elite difficulty? Is it fair, but challenging? I can handle a bit of grind...just not looking for launch Diablo 3 Inferno levels of smashing my face against the keyboard.

only way to play.

Boof

I don't get how they couldn't predict the server load with the amount of people that pre-ordered. Really frustrating that I can't play with my friends.

I don't get how they couldn't predict the server load with the amount of people that pre-ordered. Really frustrating that I can't play with my friends.

it's a fair complaint, perhaps they only really allocated for all the preorders and had a lot of overnight purchases? I know that my steam community feed has been awash with people who just bought it now.

inky

Does the highest difficulty have better drop rates or something, or is it simply the added challenge? Also, how spammy did the potions end up being, one of the things keeping me on the fence at full price.

Kenaras

Really not feeling the demo. It seems like a good game, I just can't get into it. I think it's a combination of being a little burned out on the genre, and the fact that it reminds me of the original Torchlight. (Torchlight was the most disappointing ARPG I've ever played.)

I'll wait for a Steam sale and see if my interest in the genre has returned.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Does the highest difficulty have better drop rates or something, or is it simply the added challenge? Also, how spammy did the potions end up being, one of the things keeping me on the fence at full price.

You dont really mash the potions they have a 8 second delay between each other, as they are heal over times. On the higher settings they do help a ton especially early on before you get life leach skills and weapons

Shepard

Really not feeling the demo. It seems like a good game, I just can't get into it. I think it's a combination of being a little burned out on the genre, and the fact that it reminds me of the original Torchlight. (Torchlight was the most disappointing ARPG I've ever played.)

I'll wait for a Steam sale and see if my interest in the genre has returned.

Can't see how you could be so disappointed with Torchlight, what were your expectations? If you didn't like T1, you'll probably don't like T2: they took T1's ideas and evolved all to the next level, but in its core, it's still T1 mechanics (should I say, ARPG mechanics). Seriously, what in T1 burned you so bad?

TheExodu5

Banned
Can't see how you could be so disappointed with Torchlight, what were your expectations? If you didn't like T1, you'll probably don't like T2: they took T1's ideas and evolved all to the next level, but in its core, it's still T1 mechanics (should I say, ARPG mechanics). Seriously, what in T1 burned you so bad?

I didn't care for Torchlight 1...it was pretty mediocre. Skills were straightforward. Loot was boring. Dungeon wasn't too varied. Enchanting was broken.

Torchlight 2 seems a lot better so far.

Max

I am not Max
How does difficulty in this game work? Is it like a ladder like in the Diablo games (normal, nightmare, hell)? And how does it translate into online play with someone using a higher set difficulty than you are?

Top Bottom