• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
For a spellcaster, how useful is it really to pump a few points into Strength here and there? Or should I just pretty much min/max Force?

Unless you want to meet some item stat requirements, want high critical damage, or are going for a melee mage build, it seems to be pretty useless. Mages almost exclusively deal in elemental damage, so just pump Focus. Make sure to drop some points in Dex and Vit, as those help you not die and meet stat requirements for items that tend to be more useful for mages.

I usually go 3 Focus, 1 Dex, and 1 Vit every level unless I'm close to meeting a stat requirement.

Lotto

I'm so happy right now. This game is just what I wanted. Granted I'm only level 13 right now, but man, progressing in this game just feels damn good. I'm grinning like an idiot right now. I love you Runic.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Since tunneling indeed works, we should get a game going and talk on steam chat. I'll set up hamachi in a sec.

My berserker needs blood.

Ceebs

I'm adding that to the OP

Just want to add, that I was having major issues playing with Tunngle earlier. The game would lose sync and one player would not track correctly on the other clients, players would vanish when changing zones, the player that lost sync would not aggro any of the monsters, and the load times jumped into the minute+ range.

I really hope it was Tunngle and not the actual multiplayer that was at fault.

Sye d'Burns

The only change I want to take back is the point in Wand Chaos. It's just not useful enough for me. I also have trouble figuring out good stat distribution, but item bonuses help out with that.

Sodalis
Engineer - 21

Strength 18
Dexterity 17
Focus 5
Vitality 23

Skill points remaining 100

blitz

Flame Hammer 3/15
Heavy Lifting 1/15

Construction

Healing Bot 6/15
Bulwark 1/15

Aegis

Shield Bash 1/15
Forcefield 1/15
Sword & Board 1/15
Aegis of Fate 1/15

Skill points remaining 11

Myyoy.png

I always hesitate when it comes to stat systems. I've got to be honest, it doesn't seem like stats make one whit of difference when playing in normal. I can't say that's a good thing.* I only took up using a cannon in the last 7 or so levels. Man, that thing is awesome.

*That's not to say that I haven't been having fun. But I anticipated hitting a wall a long time ago and I've yet to feel much of a challenge. The only reason the healing bot is at 6 is because a) he rocks and b) I wanted to see what, if anything, would happen when I hit tier 2.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I thought when Diablo III launched people couldn't play, or had lag in singleplayer, because of server issues? :/ I'm sorry you're having FPS issues. If anyone has tips feel free to share. I tried turning bloom off myself to see if it helps FPS.

Unrelated note, I'm in a dungeon now and skeletons jump down from ledges. My pet somehow jumped up and killed one, which dropped an item on a ledge I can't reach. There's no way to get my pet to pick up the item, right? It's an L-shaped ledge, no stairs or anything, and I think it was only meant to be temporary so monsters could jump off of it.

Shift+Left Click will send your pet out to grab an item, but if you cant reach he probably won't be able to either.

You had an excuse. I had a sunny day and things I could do.

clearly those things were less important than playing tl2.

god, I remember so much of my life suddenly disappearing into the ember mines when the first game came out. before it released I had a wife and kids and ran a fortune 500 company, now I'm on neogaf.

Just want to add, that I was having major issues playing with Tunngle earlier. The game would lose sync and one player would not track correctly on the other clients, players would vanish when changing zones, the player that lost sync would not aggro any of the monsters, and the load times jumped into the minute+ range.

I really hope it was Tunngle and not the actual multiplayer that was at fault.

yikes, I hope so too :\

sazzy

So I dunno I'm not having fun with game guys:(

Rolled Outlander, playing Veteran, 80mins in and Level 5.

Using Rapid Fire as primary and I keep running out of mana. Basic attack is too slow and boring.

Might re roll. Any suggestions???

Yeah, the fps drops when you get a bunch of enemies on the screen. Just died to a bunch of pirates because I couldn't jump all around the screen. That will teach me to play hardcore. Need to turn down some settings.

antitrop

The spell toolbar system makes Diablo III look like a work of genius.

Only having two spells to choose between, switching with Tab, am I missing something here?

Rokal

Using Rapid Fire as primary and I keep running out of mana. Basic attack is too slow and boring.

Seems like people are lukewarm on Embermage and Outlander. Try Engineer or Berserker.

Rokal

The spell toolbar system makes Diablo III look like a work of genius.

Only having two spells to choose between, switching with Tab, am I missing something here?

Yes. You can bind spells to 1-9. You can change those hotkeys to Q,W, E, R etc. if you want too. You get more ability slots than Diablo 3, not less.

antitrop

What do you think that big bar at the bottom of your screen is for?
Ahhhhhhhh, the game makes it seem like you only have 2. Nevermind.

Wait, so what's the point of having an "Alternate Right Skill" that you switch with Tab? Seems redundant if you can just map skills to the numkeys.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Seems like people are lukewarm on Embermage and Outlander. Try Engineer or Berserker.

The Embermage gets better once the Level 14 skills open up, and level 21 seems to be when the class really kicks into gear. It's a slow burn, but it's rewarding for those who like mage classes.

----

I felt dumb when a loading screen tip told me there's no more combining gems. I was hoarding gems for nothing. I guess they took it out to encourage people to actually use them throughout the whole game.

Blizzard

Banned

I'm 120 minutes in, veteran outlander, level 6. I think I like it, but maybe that's just me. I am using dual-wield rapidfire pistols and/or wands instead of using double handed weapons or other slow weapons. I also try to use the glaive throw occasionally rather than rapidfire, since it hits waves of enemies and slows them. The rapidfire seems nice for knockback but I probably wouldn't want to use it all the time.

What happens if I die in a dungeon or overworld section? Do I lose inventory, gold, etc.?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Ahhhhhhhh, the game makes it seem like you only have 2. Nevermind.

Wait, so what's the point of having an "Alternate Right Skill" that you switch with Tab? Seems redundant if you can just map skills to the numkeys.

Choices?

Alright, I installed Hamachi. Do we have a network set up that I can join? I want to plaaay

"Just want to add, that I was having major issues playing with Tunngle earlier. The game would lose sync and one player would not track correctly on the other clients, players would vanish when changing zones, the player that lost sync would not aggro any of the monsters, and the load times jumped into the minute+ range.

I really hope it was Tunngle and not the actual multiplayer that was at fault."

Likely Tunngle. Played online for several hours with another person, didn't have any problems like that.

Fularu

Banned
45 mins later :

Music is incredibly bad, Torchlight levels of bad. Maybe I have bad tastes but I hope it picks up

Combat feels... how to put it... not very satisfying. I mean I barely feel like I'm hitting the mobs, there's little weight behind it (I'm using the dual wielding mele class, Enge I believe?)

I Like the control over my stats distribution even if, in the end, it all ends up in STR and DEX.

If there's a way to show enemy health above their head, I haven't found it (it annoys me to no end, after years of WoW and months of D3, this is a must have for me)

So far, it's better than TL I but I hope it picks up quickly.

Also call me crazy but I wish more than the first few words were voice acted :/

What? Really? The music is worthless, I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's definitely not good. I just turned it down to 0 and listen to a Podcast instead.

usually I listen to hipster scandinavian electro-pop when I play games so I don't care about the music myself, but the composer Matt Uelmen is the guy who did the original Diablo music and is pretty well regarded.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The music isn't bad (it's great, in fact), but I always find myself turning off music in games when it's overly ambient. I played WoW for 3 years and not once heard a single note of music. I'd rather listen to O&A or a podcast.

Fularu

Banned
usually I listen to hipster scandinavian electro-pop when I play games so I don't care about the music myself, but the composer Matt Uelmen is the guy who did the original Diablo music and is pretty well regarded.

45 mins in the game has nothing (absolutely nothing) on Diablo's score. As I said, I hope it picks up (as in, I'm only level 8, so it's the start of the game, but still)

Moaradin

I have the music louder than the sounds in this game. It's great all around.

45 mins in the game has nothing (absolutely nothing) on Diablo's score. As I said, I hope it picks up (as in, I'm only level 8, so it's the start of the game, but still)

45 mins into the game is like, 1 track lmao.

Get a shotgun, with it you have superior crowd control to anyone else early in the game. The early skills are useless so don't put too many points into them, dump your skill points on passives like Dodge mastery.

Rokal

I can make a big, detailed list of minor issues if you're really interested, but that seems like it's straying a bit too off-topic in a thread about Torchlight II. What it really comes down to is I got bored very quickly. I tried to continue playing anyway - the stellar soundtrack and intensely nostalgic Diablo feel made me want to like the game. Eventually I just had to give up.
Unlike most of GAF, you continued to play Diablo 3 after the first month. I'm sure that has a big impact on how fresh Torchlight 2 feels.

antitrop

Exactly.

For me, a game has to have like a Demon's/Dark Souls level of "Holy shit" music to even bother keeping it on.

Teknoman

What? Really? The music is worthless, I wouldn't say it's bad, but it's definitely not good. I just turned it down to 0 and listen to a Podcast instead.

jbdleyQhNy1IEu.jpg

Also Dark Souls/Demon's Souls are excellent games...but their soundtracks arent exactly something they are known for. They go from nearly non-existent, to just tense symphonic music during a boss battle. I dont even have the game yet, but just listening to the soundtrack, its at least on par with Diablo 2, if not slightly better. Certainly not worthless and certainly no where near the realm of not good.

Listen to Djinn, Vulture Pass, or Echo Pass. Stuff is what Diablo 3 should have sounded like.

Top Bottom