• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

zulux21

Get a shotgun, with it you have superior crowd control to anyone else early in the game. The early skills are useless so don't put too many points into them, dump your skill points on passives like Dodge mastery.

healbot is not useless you take that back :p

but for my outlander.. yeah I have one point in rapid fire and the rest in passives lol

Fularu

Banned
45 mins into the game is like, 1 track lmao.

1 track played for almost an hour straight sounds like a bad sound design choice.

Or am I only allowed to say "omg, the music, sooooo goooood" when I really don't feel it *so far* (I did say that those were my impressions 45 mins into the game)?

antitrop

jbdleyQhNy1IEu.jpg
You butthurt over my opinion?

What are you, the composer or something?

Moaradin

1 track played for almost an hour straight sounds like a bad sound design choice.

Or am I only allowed to say "omg, the music, sooooo goooood" when I really don't feel it *so far* (I did say that those were my impressions 45 mins into the game)?

I didn't mean it quite literally. 45 minutes in isn't much. There is no big fights in that time so a lot of the music is mostly calm, ambient stuff. You haven't even seen any boss battles yet, which is all pretty intense stuff.

Blizzard

Banned
oh boy, you're not going to find many people agreeing with you on this one.
Yeah, I disagree, the music tends to range from good to great for me. :/

I have the music louder than the sounds in this game. It's great all around.
I think I adjusted music up and sound effects down as well.

I notice the pet shopping time keeps going up, but that's based purely on distance from the store/dungeon depth, right? I tried sending the pet twice from the same place and it seemed to keep the same time (1:20) each time.

Fularu

Banned
I didn't mean it quite literally. 45 minutes in isn't much. There is no big fights in that time so a lot of the music is mostly calm, ambient stuff. You haven't even seen any boss battles yet, which is all pretty intense stuff.

Then I'll update my impressions if they match. I mean, I fully intend to finish the game anyway (unless it gets uber boring as with TL which I gave up on maybe 5 floors before the end of the game)

Considering it was made by Matt Uelmen, yeah I would say they can be rightfully butthurt over your opinion.
This has never been a sure quality thing. I mean, Pink Floyd is my favorite band and they have stinkers too (I'm just saying that a name doesn't make a score)

antitrop

Considering it was made by Matt Uelmen, yeah I would say they can be rightfully butthurt over your opinion.
It's got nothing on Diablo, sorry.

It's atmospheric, but it doesn't get me pumped up or put me in any kind of mood or anything, it's just kind of... there.

Teknoman

No, but to call the music worthless is a little much dont you think? I'll admit i'm biased since i'm a big fan of the guy's work from past Blizzard games, and after listening to the soundtrack the other night, they seem perfectly scene setting and the quality i'd expect after Diablo 2 (Torchlight 1 was a little lackluster aside from the main town theme). I can only wish that Diablo 3 had as good of a soundtrack as Torchlight 2.

Having problems getting a steady frame rate. It hitches when 2 monsters appear for a second and then speeds up. Messing with the settings didn't help. I'll try the drivers hoping it will help, if not then I will have to wait for an update.
Dam! I was waiting for this game since I saw it announced now I will wait some more, I like the new skill tree (disliked the one in TI) but the best addition is the different kind of pets. Brought a smile to my face when I saw I could choose a papillon, bulldog or ferret. They are so cute :)

Teknoman

so in an interview i just read, apparently a lot of the music Matt Uelmen did for the original Blizzard North Diablo 3 was re-purposed for WoW

This is one of the tracks he mentions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh_FLF04clA

def sounds like it came out of a Diablo game.

Damn Blizzard...thats just messed up. Should have pulled a Sonic 3, kept what was already composed, and just finished off the rest. Then again, probably should have known that since my early WoW days, some of the themes struck me as Diablo-esque.

antitrop

our first potential moment of thread drama appears, and it's not even related to whether torchlight 2 is better than diablo 3!
As far as music goes, Torchlight II is better for sure. It's just forgettable, that's all.
The gameplay experience isn't enhanced any by having it on, as opposed to say, Dark Souls. It's not a big deal, though.

Aside though, I'm having a fucking blast playing the game. Just pounding mountain dews and clicking away, it's a great game. Aside from some pathing issues and an inconsistent framerate on ace hardware.

Also it seems like the Passive Skills for a Mage are really lame, actually just all the skills in general. I find myself leveling up and I'm like "I don't even know which skill to put a point in, they all seem meh". I'm only Level 20, though, maybe something cool pops up later.

Ashodin

This game is a better game than D3. There I said it.

Why? It's actually FUN to kill enemies and has AMAZING loot.

Engineer here. Two-handed sword style.

Morokh

Played quite a bit, even if I couldn't play as much as I liked to (Damn cold !)

Combat feels a little bit less 'smooth' than D3, meaning two things, first that you don't have this impression of power from the beginning where you feel your character is hitting like a truck from the get go (although a full charge Berserker does the trick :p), second using some skills will require you to mark a little 'pause' between attacks for the game to take it into account (it was smoothened until the beta, but could have been improved a little bit more imo )

The aiming is still a tiny bit off sometimes especially with ranged characters.

Other than that it is just a blast ! :D

The gameplay experience isn't enhanced any by having it on, as opposed to say, Dark Souls. It's not a big deal, though.

my gameplay experience of dark souls was greatly enhanced by listening to robyn and the knife a lot, I didn't even know it had music of its own. there's something amazing about falling off a cliff on the way to your bloodstain just as the chorus of time machine kicks in:

cos all I need
is a time machine
a one way track
cos I'm takin' it back
takin' it back

And you're..? Personal Matt Uelmen hater? You know, there's a difference between not being a fan of music genre or style in general; and being a person who's trying to impose his own
bad
tastes to other people. Constantly. You don't like the music, we got. Now let us enjoy it, because we definitely find it to be a great piece of musical genre.

hatersgonnahate.jpg

Salsa

seriously there is something super weird about how the whole game is scaled, UI and such (and yeah I know you can change it but it doesnt help)

it looks a bit stretched and out of focus to me, hard to read and such

am I nuts

antitrop

This game is a better game than D3. There I said it.

Why? It's actually FUN to kill enemies and has AMAZING loot.
For me, Diablo III blows this away from a gameplay perspective. Maybe I just picked a boring/bad class that needs some patching. Whatever the name of the Spellcasting Mage class is in this game.

The spells seems super underpowered, I've been leveling up almost nothing but Force and I just run out of MP super-super quick without seeming to do any decent amount of damage. I end up doing way more damage without worrying an expendable resource by melee'ing and I'm not even putting any points into Strength. Just seems imbalanced. Also the spell trees are boring, no spells seem very interesting or powerful. Every time I level up it's just like "meh", where as in Diablo III (or any Diablo, really) I was excited to level up and see what new spells I could learn or enhance. They all seemed unique and useful in different circumstances and were fun to combine, seemed to require a bit more skill, even as low as Level 21 where I'm at in TL2 right now. Again, just first impressions, maybe the class will get cooler as it goes on.

As I've said before, great game, especially for $20. But I think it's kind of an unfair comparison to Diablo III, a $60 game. Diablo III just blows it away in terms of polish, graphics, and playability. But hey, it's $20, and it's probably the best budget game I've ever played.

Blizzard

Banned
Having problems getting a steady frame rate. It hitches when 2 monsters appear for a second and then speeds up. Messing with the settings didn't help. I'll try the drivers hoping it will help, if not then I will have to wait for an update.
Dam! I was waiting for this game since I saw it announced now I will wait some more, I like the new skill tree (disliked the one in TI) but the best addition is the different kind of pets. Brought a smile to my face when I saw I could choose a papillon, bulldog or ferret. They are so cute :)
I've turned bloom off, gone down to medium or high shadows, and I might have turned particles to medium. You could also try turning weather off temporarily if you're in battle.

I wish it didn't have the drops, and I'm afraid of running into some huge battle where it will get me killed. Currently it doesn't go below 40 or so but the drops are rather sudden. I supposed some early guardian fight will be where I find out how bad (or not) it is with my reduced settings. 3.0 GHz core 2 duo, 5850.

On a class note, after 3 hours my outlander is level 9. Someone's post earlier finally got me to try shotguns, and they're not as bad as I was thinking. I didn't want a slow-firing weapon, and I guess I figured that dual wielding fast pistols would get you higher DPS, but I suppose that you are actually limited by the lower of the two weapons DPS/fire rate, and the outlander charge mechanic means shotguns can still fire pretty quickly. That said, I got a 99 damage .55 speed bow so I'm using that at the moment. :p

I think around level 9 is where the outlander starts to get cool, now that I'm getting better weapons and unlocking the backflip and target snare skills. I feel like the skills aren't intended to be pure spam, but instead to fire one or two to slow/snare, then you hit the enemy with heavy attack damage, knockback/armor shred if needed, heavy attack damage, backflip away, knockback, machine gun fire, etc. Good night everyone, don't fight too much!

antitrop

And you're..? Personal Matt Ulman hater? You know, there's a difference between not being a fan of music genre or style in general; and being a person who's trying to impose his own
bad
tastes to other people. Constantly. You don't like the music, we got. Now let us enjoy it, because we definitely find it to be a great piece of musical genre.

hatersgonnahate.jpg
Talk about over-reacting and taking my neutral opinion to the negative extreme. I said the music wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. It's forgettable and I don't feel like the gameplay experience is affected negatively by turning it low (or off). Diablo I and II had amazing music, I have no personal distaste for the composer at all, but this isn't his best work. Sorry.

I'm not a hater at all, only if you want to over-sensationalize it like you did. Not everything has to be amazing or suck, there's an in-between.

D3 is a fun game, but i'm enjoying this a lot more. Seems to be a lot more to do. Sending your pet out to sell and buy items kicks ass.

Had to stop playing because of work tomorrow. Stupid work!

alazz

Hey what are the Robot Parts for? I found on in the Widow spider cave in the first Snowy area and haven't seen another yet.

I was so happy I had gotten General Grell (is that his name?) to less than 25% on my elite berserker without a deat. Using the last of my mana I dashed away, into a crowd of the war dog things, and died before I noticed I was out of mana and on a health pot cooldown :(

How're you guys liking the new Phase Portals? I love that they're objective-based arena challenges rather than miniature dungeons. The most fun one so far was had huge swarms of those armored dogs chasing after you while you had to light four beacons in the correct order.

Tokubetsu

Not finding anything noteworthy in the score either but other than that I'm enjoying the game. I probably should have started on veteran though but whatever. I'll be doing multiple runs most likely.

Ashodin

1/3rd the price of Diablo 3, 3x more fun. Sounds about right

"Highly recommend the Regent set for Elite. 20% Health steal is really good."

Health steal is generally amazing in games like this that like to throw waves of enemies at you.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
For me, Diablo III blows this away from a gameplay perspective. Maybe I just picked a boring/bad class that needs some patching. Whatever the name of the Spellcasting Mage class is in this game.

The spells seems super underpowered, I've been leveling up almost nothing but Force and I just run out of MP super-super quick without seeming to do any decent amount of damage. I end up doing way more damage without worrying an expendable resource by melee'ing and I'm not even putting any points into Strength. Just seems imbalanced. Also the spell trees are boring, no spells seem very interesting or powerful. Every time I level up it's just like "meh", where as in Diablo III (or any Diablo, really) I was excited to level up and see what new spells I could learn or enhance. They all seemed unique and useful in different circumstances and were fun to combine, seemed to require a bit more skill, even as low as Level 21 where I'm at in TL2 right now. Again, just first impressions, maybe the class will get cooler as it goes on.

As I've said before, great game, especially for $20. But I think it's kind of an unfair comparison to Diablo III, a $60 game. Diablo III just blows it away in terms of polish, graphics, and playability. But hey, it's $20, and it's probably the best budget game I've ever played.

This is my Embermage build. First off, I'm kicking ass on Veteran. The Act 1 final boss went down in about 3 minutes. Also, I rarely have issues with mana. I can fill my Charge bar quickly against mobs and major enemies. I may have to pop a single mana potion to do so, but once I'm charged, it's go time. I fire off every spell I can, and then use either Prismatic Bolt or Magma Spear until Charge finishes.

I'd say look for some items that boost your mana pool and/or your mana regen rate. The mana pool is pretty small, and that has helped me a great deal, at least in Act 1.

I also mentioned this earlier, but the Embermage was a slow burn for me as well. It picked up at Level 14 when I got Frost Phase (for escaping death) and Thunder Locus (pop it in a crowd and let it do its thing). Try out Burning Pillars as well. It was great for crowd control in the Act 1 boss fight.

EDIT: I just realized I've unintentionally been going for a crowd control build. It's serving me well so far.

V_Arnold

It's got nothing on Diablo, sorry.

It's atmospheric, but it doesn't get me pumped up or put me in any kind of mood or anything, it's just kind of... there.

Well, I would not compare it directly to Diablo III (although dungeon ambients in D3 >>>>>Torchlight series, 2 included so far), but yeah, I muted the music and played my own during the game so I will not fall asleep. And that is from someone who could live on Matt Uelmen's Tristram theme solely...

antitrop

Well, I would not compare it directly to Diablo III (although dungeon ambients in D3 >>>>>Torchlight series, 2 included so far), but yeah, I muted the music and played my own during the game so I will not fall asleep. And that is from someone who could live on Matt Uelmen's Tristram theme solely...
The Tristram Theme is a God damn gaming work of art.

Top Bottom