• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

fresquito

Playing myself on Vet. Game is easy so far (I'm still level 12), but I could have died a handfull of times if didn't use a salving potion. Keep in mind healing bot is with me all the time.

Ceebs

runic guy commenting about the account link not working

so they will be up sometime today... most likely ^^;

I started with outlander as well (was going to be my online character with people not my wife) but i think I am going to choose a different class myself... outlander isn't horrible but after 200 hours of farming in D3 it just feels to much like DH for me to enjoy it as I don't enjoy farming with my DH on D3 lol

Likely will switch over to a mage since the engineer is what I will be playing with my wife.

I was going for the minion build and even at a low level it was getting pretty micromanagement heavy which was a big turnoff. I am also terrible at judging range in these games.

zulux21

I hope we can register for online play later this afternoon.

hopefully you guys can as I need to get my wife registered still

also another update from the runic forums
We tried hard to prepare - our lobby, for instance, worked like a CHAMP! Authorization went fine!
Our web services though? Those died in a fire, for what appears to be a variety of interconnected reasons.
Even our forums, right now? Being totally destroyed - but there's no obvious load! There are barely 500 people here, and we've weathered WAY better concurrency than that.
Something strange is going on

Adnor

Banned
Ughhh. Some of the choices for quest rewards are fucking hard.

They made all of the loot too good!

7b5Js.jpg

Sorry, had to do it.

spirity

Other than some negligible polish issues and a seemingly boring skill tree for the Wizard, I'd say it holds up to Diablo quite nicely. Doesn't surpass it in any way, but for $20 it's hard to beat and I'm not disappointed.

You don't think TL2's loot is better?

Ashodin

You don't think TL2's loot is better?

It's vastly more interesting. Lots of bits and bobs to tweak your gameplay as opposed to just raw stats.

I especially like how each elemental damage type does a different thing. Electric sending out chain lightning, Ice doing -33% movement and attack, etc. It makes for emergent gameplay.

zulux21

How? Im still getting 404

As I said before you just gotta keep trying and eventually you will get through....
aka the answer to your how question "Luck"

edit: new update from runic
So, I want to be cautious about this, but our current attempt seems to be holding so far. Our account servers are SEEMING stable, and I'm hoping people can get through now.
We brought up an entirely new server, did a huge move of the database to it, and found an issue with our Steam-linking that was causing some issues with refreshes.
*fingers crossed*
Again, profuse apologies for the trouble. If you buy something you should be able to use it in all the ways advertised.

Fugu

I want to know who thought spontaneous and infintely respawning adds of an identical composition (kill a fire mage, get a fire mage) was a good idea. I was going along just fine on elite until the difficulty shot straight up in a vertical line because I can't physically hit the boss.

zulux21

Always like it when devs are so open about issues and what they do to resolve them.

It takes a few minutes, it says.

then you will like this as well
We THINK it's a config issue w/ the new server which we are (hopefully) resolving right now. I will be back here momentarily with the result.

We did our best, stuff blew up in our face, and now we'll do our best to make it as right as we can :(
That's all we can do!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I want to know who thought spontaneous and infintely respawning adds of an identical composition (kill a fire mage, get a fire mage) was a good idea. I was going along just fine on elite until the difficulty shot straight up in a vertical line because I can't physically hit the boss.

Dont forget the 3 archers with them :D

zulux21

Completely forgot that this is out, bought and hope it can help absolve the disappointment of d3

my thoughts are if this doesn't, then just give it a few months and come back as if you are unhappy, moders will likely be unhappy and work to fix it :p

Though from what I have played I don't think you will be unhappy if you liked D2 for the whole loot hunting aspect :p

Morokh

I don't see it. I'm about 8 hours into Torchlight II so far and I haven't come across an area or a boss that made me say "Wow, that was really cool" or "This place looks incredible" like I did in Diablo III. Obviously I'm not running around Torchlight II comparing every moment to Diablo, but in retrospect.

That is not what I meant at all, I was specifically talking about randomization, meaning that the place actually looks and feels layered in a different way every time you play the game again.

D3's world is merely big open hubs with the only randomized elements being the place where events take place or where dungeons are placed in that big open area.
One can just walk through the first steps of the area and spot the first landmarks and basically have an idea of where everything is, it just kills the very purpose of having some things randomized.

It helps a lot with the replayability.

T2 has his landmarks (mostly being quest related places) but (if you don't use the map since they are marked on it) you usually only know you are close to them when you stumble upon them, what is around is more intricate and has way more variety than what D3 offers.

zulux21

That is not what I meant at all, I was specifically talking about randomization, meaning that the place actually looks and feels layered in a different way every time you play the game again.

D3's world is merely big hubs with the only randomized elements being the place where events take place or where dungeons are placed in that big open area.
One can just walk through the first steps of the area and spot the first landmarks and basically have an idea of where everything is, it just kills the very purpose of having some things randomized.

T2 has his landmarks (mostly being quest related places) but (if you don't use the map since they are marked on it) you usually only know you are close to them when you stumble upon them, what is around is more intricate and has way more variety than what D3 offers.

I can agree with this.. D3 isn't nearly random enough... I can run through most of the acts and side from a select few parts I always know where to go... which makes the 30th time doing it tedious. I don't remember that in D2, and I didn't experience that with TL2 in the beta

also for anyone still having issues linking

You are all RIGHT in the middle of the alterations, so that's why you're getting hit-or-miss behavior.

aka it's hit or miss right now, in a bit it will hopefully be fixed

Fugu

Dont forget the 3 archers with them :D
The archers were particularly fun. I won the fight by glitching them against the top of the skeleton fountain thing and kiting the boss along a small section of the fighting area while spamming the potion button. Not really how I wanted to do it but that's how it's gotta be I guess.

DeSo

Banned
Does anyone else experience a fair bit of slowdown? I mean my PC is a few years old (Phenom II X4, GTX 285) but I didn't think the engine was that demanding. Turned shadows off with barely any improvement. :S

Fugu

Is there any serverside character hosting? In other words, are people able to modify their characters at will and take them online?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Game is awesome, but I wished they had spent a little more time on the UI and social stuff. Would be nice if I could view peoples profiles like in Diablo.

Fugu

Game is awesome, but I wished they had spent a little more time on the UI and social stuff. Would be nice if I could view peoples profiles like in Diablo.
When I was eight and I started playing Diablo online that profile was a really big deal.

Shoogoo

I use gamepad for most games I play (including shooters) hack and slash loot games though I always play keyboard and mouse as it just feels wrong with out them lol.

On the flip side I am sure there will eventually be a gamepad mod

Did you try Torchlight on 360? Imho they nailed the controls so much that I actually prefer them over m+kb

+ Steam big picture and my comfy couch, plox

sazzy

Ok so I'm really disliking this game now.

Got up to Level 9 on Outlander.

The controls suck. There is a definite input lag, and the characters seem to get stuck into animations. Click-and-move and click-and-attack seem to not differentiate between small distances from enemies/background.

Its annoying as fuck.

Oh and I'm still running out of mana using the most shitty and basic attack (Rapid Fire/Level 1). What the hell else am I supposed to use? I feel like the stupid charge mechanic is to blame. The bar fills up, attack speed goes up, I run out of mana and then twiddle my thumbs.

Very disappointed so far.

drkOne

Also the online functionality of this game has a worse launch than Diablo III, wtf.

Wait, what.

I wasn't able to play Diablo 3 for a couple of hours, not even SP. I'm playing Torchlight 2.
I had massive lag spikes on D3 because "always online" while their servers were still shit.
I lost a couple of Hardcore chars because the servers would suddenly die out of nowhere (and I was playing SP…).

I don't even know how you can compare all of that with having to wait a couple of hours until you can play TL2 with your friends.

The controls suck. There is a definite input lag, and the characters seem to get stuck into animations. Click-and-move and click-and-attack seem to not differentiate between small distances from enemies/background.

Its annoying as fuck.

Oh and I'm still running out of mana using the most shitty and basic attack (Rapid Fire/Level 1). What the hell else am I supposed to use? I feel like the stupid charge mechanic is to blame. The bar fills up, attack speed goes up, I run out of mana and then twiddle my thumbs.

Very disappointed so far.
Maybe you're running at a low FPS rate? There's no input lag for me.
Yes, the characters "get stuck" in animations, but that's just the way they designed the game.

About running out of mana, I don't understand what you mean. Did you want to be using Rapid Fire alone? That's not how it works.

sazzy

Other bullshit I'm annoyed with:

'conveys x of y'.. wtf? can't they use standard/simple language? conveys to who?

The xp bar at the bottom being divided in 6 sections. wtf? Why 6? Why not make a graphical representation harder to understand by making it 17 equally divided sections..?

sigh.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
There is a definite input lag, and the characters seem to get stuck into animations.
Are you sure it's input lag and not the beginning of the animation? I sense no lag.

Click-and-move and click-and-attack seem to not differentiate between small distances from enemies/background.
Shift is your friend.

That is your most basic special attack. Your most basic attack is "shoot" which requires no mana and happens when you left click on an enemy or hold shift+left click.

Morokh

The controls suck. There is a definite input lag, and the characters seem to get stuck into animations.

If by input lag you mean activating another skill wile you're mashing your left click button and your character keeps attacking and your skill not activating it's not really input lag, some skills will activate, others need an actual small time where you need to stop clicking to activate.

Once you know it it's not really a problem, but this is what I was referring to when I said they could have done a little bit more work on controls.

You're using your basic attack on left click and rapid fire on right click right ?

Teknoman

One thing I dont like about loot games with so much great stuff:

I can never figure out what I want to stick with lol. I'm already trying to decide between Engineer and Berserker, but even with Engineer, do I go 1h/shield, cannons, 2h weapons?

zulux21

One thing I dont like about loot games with so much great stuff:

I can never figure out what I want to stick with lol. I'm already trying to decide between Engineer and Berserker, but even with Engineer, do I go 1h/shield, cannons, 2h weapons?

you go 1H/shield for weapon 2 and big angry attack with weapon 1 as you can toggle between the weapons with the press of W :p

or you could go two big angry attacks if you feel like it :p

Teknoman

you go 1H/shield for weapon 2 and big angry attack with weapon 1 as you can toggle between the weapons with the press of W :p

or you could go two big angry attacks if you feel like it :p

Guess I could go 2h weapon / cannon...always forget that you can have 2 weapon sets.

PARANO1A

What are general thoughts about dual wielding? Do I actually get a damage bonus or just a stat bonus? Haven't seen a single hand gun with stats close to any of the two handers yet and I'm wondering what I'm missing.

zulux21

What are general thoughts about dual wielding? Do I actually get a damage bonus or just a stat bonus? Haven't seen a single hand gun with stats close to any of the two handers yet and I'm wondering what I'm missing.

i haven't played enough to really form an opinion but I do know that while dual wielding there are times when you will fire both weapons at once, which i believe is the main plus to dual wielding

Top Bottom