• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

zulux21

Ive gotten so many upgrades, so many choices. I assume Normal is the mode where you cant get killed or its really really hard to get killed? I picked an engineer. Put one skill point in the healing bot

it's 50% normal mode 50% heal bot making you a god that is causing your lack of death :p

How many can play in the same game online? I've heard 4 and 6. It'd be nice to know since I'm going to a friend's house with lots of people to LAN it up.

Willectro

Banned
Started a mage and got to level 12. I'm liking the game so far. Overall the game feels a little more loose than D3. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

"That's not what the Torchlight 2 wiki says."

I'm not saying str doesn't increase wand damage, only that you don't need it to increase wand damage.

Celegus

I tried the demo for a few minutes and it seemed like a pretty nice improvement over the first... and went right back to Diablo 3. Not because I think it's better or anything, but because I'm in the middle of packing/moving and don't want to get too into it and buy it already. Must resist... for now!

TheExodu5

Banned
Other than some negligible polish issues and a seemingly boring skill tree for the Wizard, I'd say it holds up to Diablo quite nicely. Doesn't surpass it in any way, but for $20 it's hard to beat and I'm not disappointed.

The loot has been far more interesting so far, and I've only reached level 8.

Shame there's no closed online. :(

linsivvi

Enjoying it so far. Is there much point in upping str/dex for an embermage? It increases wand damage and so far I'm using my wand much more than my spells but who knows how these things scale...

Yes there is. Dex increase your crit chance and str increase your crit damage. That combination can give you a big boost in damage and, if what I've read was correct, critical hits automatically triggers the elemental effect. That said, focus should still be your main stat.

Bento

So I'm gonna ask a sincere question here, does there seem to be any duds among any of the class skills? I'm probably going to playing Berserker so if anyone has any skill suggestions to give me I'll gladly take them :)

DSmalls84

So I'm gonna ask a sincere question here, does there seem to be any duds among any of the class skills? I'm probably going to playing Berserker so if anyone has any skill suggestions to give me I'll gladly take them :)

So far I'm using the passive skill that gives you life leech, and the skill that lowers enemy armor and buffs yours on hit. I'm only lvl 14 so far so I haven't got a ton of active skills that seem really good.

So far I feel veteran is perfect, Elite is good but the mobs have way to much health, I guess it works out so if you want to twink a new character out, you can make it for elite with all your great items.

Still going to continue on in elite but its just far to slow right now, need some good gear.

Yup, enjoying this so far on Veteran, level 8 Outlander with a shotgun. So far I've gotten by with putting points exclusively into Dex, for maximum critical hits.

Going the Demon Hunter route of kiting a mob, cursing/slowing them as they chase me, then turning around and grinding them into pulp with my weapons while they struggle through the cursed AoE. I call it the Gauntlet of Pain.

Haven't really needed to utilise my active skills, seeing as my default shot does a huge amount of AoE up close.

Really not feeling this so far, I picked a melee class and things I kind of took for granted in D3 are starting to cause problems. The biggest being not feeling the impacts of my attacks, and therefore questioning if I'm even hitting them or not. The direct attacks are not too bad, but the attacks with range or which hit groups have very little visceral feedback other than the flashy animation. I don't really know what the range is on a lot of them because it just uses a cheesy spot effect rather than a weapon trail.

Critical strikes is where the fun is. They're quite satisfying.

Thrakier

I just can't enjoy the game because of the artstyle. :( D3 was already way to WoWy but still it looks way more mature and interessting than Torchlight 2. I want something like the Demon's Souls of Hack'n Slay.

I would think Dex (Crit chance + dodge), Str (Damage) and Vit.

I've put everything in dex the entire time.

Used to the Diablo 2 method where this was seriously what you did. Ultimately you put nothing in Energy for any class, even sorceress, relying on equipment to give you crazy boosts and regen. I hope we can do something similar here.

What do you mean no closed online?

He means no locked down, Runic-Games-server-hosted characters. Random people can mod and hack their characters and go online with them. Of course it's not really an issue if you play with people you know, forums etc.

spirity

Detection on some assets seems a bit hit and miss (harhar). I'll click on a vase, and miss. So I reposition, click again, and hit it. A bit weird.

I don't understand the complaints about the music. It's tremendous, but I guess music is always a subjective matter.

The game is badass. But I know I won't be playing it this time next month (well, depending on mods and such that could extend to two or three months), and that's a shame. There's something to be said for closed servers and all that malarky, but for twenty quid and the ability to mod, this game is one of the highlights of the year for me. Good job Runic.

Morokh

I just can't enjoy the game because of the artstyle. :( D3 was already way to WoWy but still it looks way more mature and interessting than Torchlight 2. I want something like the Demon's Souls of Hack'n Slay.

Path of Exile may be more what you're looking for then :)

So what scales with difficulty? I mean, other than the health of enemies. Loot? XP?

Nothing only difficulty increases.

DSmalls84

I'm not really sure how it will work out if you pump 1 stat. For my Beserker I have mainly focused on Str, Dex and Vit. It seems like you would want a balance since crit chance and crit damage are both linked to different stats though.

sazzy

So will you guys hate me if I do a Diablo 3 Act 3 run? :(

Its just so comfortable and I know what I'm gonna do instead of going into uncharted waters.

fresquito

What does mature have to do with style? Just because it's a bit cartoony doesn't mean is any less mature.

I think the artstyle and its implementation is fantastic.

He means no locked down, Runic-Games-server-hosted characters. Random people can mod and hack their characters and go online with them. Of course it's not really an issue if you play with people you know, forums etc.
Ok, thanks. Not a big problem in my eyes.

Twinduct

Alright, I'll give it a shot!

If it doesn't work, I'm just going to wait a few more days before people come up with good summoner builds :D

You know, I respect the openness from you so far. Usually people would complain about something, get treated like a troll (like some replies towards you) which makes the person leave. But you explained yourself and also opened yourself to suggestions that might actually mitigate your issues.

Anyway sorry just churning in.

On topic:
Is there a 'Move' only option I can map to left click? Sometimes the hitboxes seems slightly wack and I keep attacking, whilst trying to move to move a few feet.

(Would check, but at work)

hyduK

Banned
Games pretty decent. Obviously going to get compared to D3, might as well get that out of the way.

I like the way stat allocation is handled, which is basically D2, I think it shines when combined with the item requirements being level OR stat. Not sold on the skill system, I like the idea of passives and having 15 points per skill, but it seems a little bit shallow (I'd compare it to pre-1.10 D2). Some people think there won't be any cookie cutter builds, but there's definitely going to be an optimal build that people will be using for harder difficulties, it's inevitable in these games. I feel like they give you very little incentive to invest points in more than one tree (this is on the engineer, maybe other classes are a bit different).

The pets handy and is a good way of keeping the pace up.

I would have liked to see them do away with scrolls of TP/Identification. Maybe put a small cooldown on pots and give you regen/something similar to the D3 health globes.

The itemization seems pretty solid, I really like the idea of having level OR stat requirements. Definitely a plus. Hard to judge the items themselves since I'm not near endgame yet, but I will say that unique drops seem almost too frequent, I guess eventually you won't be caring about uniques and just certain uniques, but it kind of diminishes the value of them early on. Maybe it just feels that way because D3 had so little early on, and this is obviously a more compact experience.

Musics great, D2 feel.

Gameplay wise it's good, but it just feels way looser than D3. Combat doesn't give the feedback that a D2/D3 would. Everything from knowing you hit something, crit something, knockback. It just feels off. Not horrible by any means, though.

Presentation wise it has a certain charm to it. But obviously the art direction/overall package is what you'd expect of a $20 game. Hard to expect a studio like that to compete with Blizzards art team though.

It needs a closed online system, badly. One without mods (or at least item/stat modifying ones) and some trade system.

Overall it's solid, especially for $20. Ultimately I'll end up back on D3, which in its current state just seems to have more longevity, and is a better experience in terms of gameplay and presentation (besides music). But there's certain elements from TL2 that I wouldn't mind seeing in D3. If someone said they had a weekend to play either, I'd say TL2. If someone asked me for one that'll last a while...I'd say D3.

spirity

So will you guys hate me if I do a Diablo 3 Act 3 run? :(

Its just so comfortable and I know what I'm gonna do instead of going into uncharted waters.

If D3 is more your bag then go for it. D3, TL2, Path of Exile, BL2, Grim Dawn on the horizon, its a great time to be a loot whore.

Xander51

I'm really enjoying this game. It's probably my favorite one of the genre so far. I'm really happy that they sped up the movement speed, and when I found the pet shopping list, it made me smile.

sazzy

You know, I respect the openness from you so far. Usually people would complain about something, get treated like a troll (like some replies towards you) which makes the person leave. But you explained yourself and also opened yourself to suggestions that might actually mitigate your issues.

Thank you!

I don't treat gaming companies as infallible gods, never to be questioned. My unhappiness towards D3 should be obvious to people who have seen my in those threads recently.

I don't treat game companies as my friends; I treat them as businesses who exist to provide me entertainment, provided I have the money for it. That's all.

I think TL2 has a lot of promise, re: item and skill system, which is what D3 is lacking (which has an abundance of awesome combat). Ideally, someone would make a game with the best of both, but alas.

edit- Finally, I wish I had the time to discover the ideal/best builds myself but I don't :( thank god for the internet yea?

spirity

I think you should definitely check out Path of Exile if you haven't already. Gritty and dark, with an insane skill tree and a lot of opportunities for emergent builds. Open beta should be coming up soon.

It's a good sign that my main complaint is the font. It's just way too clumsy looking. And it's too big in some places (NPC speech) and too small and blurry in others (quest log pop up). Unfortunately changing the UI scaling affects the sizes globally.

accx

I second the sazzys complains about input lag.
It's not really input lag it's just something that feels "off". I can't really explain it.

I had a similar issue with path of exile. Combat and movement felt "off" as well. Plus the horrendous movement and combat speed in that game.

I wonder if it has something to do with having played D3 so much? Say what you will about D3 but the combat always felt fantastic. I went back to D3 just to try it out after spending some time with Path of Exile and it just felt better.

EDIT:
Also, bloom looks like shit in this game. I've never enjoyed bloom but could tolerate it in most games. In TL2 it's like having a matte semitransparent white layer on top of everything else.

Twinduct

Thank you!

I don't treat gaming companies as infallible gods, never to be questioned. My unhappiness towards D3 should be obvious to people who have seen my in those threads recently.

I don't treat game companies as my friends; I treat them as businesses who exist to provide me entertainment, provided I have the money for it. That's all.

I think TL2 has a lot of promise, re: item and skill system, which is what D3 is lacking (which has an abundance of awesome combat). Ideally, someone would make a game with the best of both, but alas.

edit- Finally, I wish I had the time to discover the ideal/best builds myself but I don't :( thank god for the internet yea?

True that. Not to mention mod support! Once the SDK shows up, stuff like the mana consumption rate changer and etc will be one of the firsts to show up heh.

The move only command can be rebound, it's on the tilde ~ key by default.

Nice thanks! Can't wait to try it out tonight!

It's a good sign that my main complaint is the font. It's just way too clumsy looking. And it's too big in some places (NPC speech) and too small and blurry in others (quest log pop up). Unfortunately changing the UI scaling affects the sizes globally.

Yea first thing I am doing with mod tools is changing the font.

sazzy

I second the sazzys complains about input lag.
It's not really input lag it's just something that feels "off". I can't really explain it.

I had a similar issue with path of exile. Combat and movement felt "off" as well. Plus the horrendous movement and combat speed in that game.

I wonder if it has something to do with having played D3 so much? Say what you will about D3 but the combat always felt fantastic. I went back to D3 just to try it out after spending some time with Path of Exile and it just felt better.

I do agree - the A in the RPG - Diablo 3 does better than anything else out there right now.

The combat is amazing in D3. This is why I was so fucking bitter with the game because the combat was fucking awesome, but the loot was shit. I wanted to play, but didn't know what to play *for*.

You can't beat Blizzard's spit-polish; I really fucking wish someone would make a game with TL2's loot/items/skills and D3's combat.

V_Arnold

I do agree - the A in the RPG - Diablo 3 does better than anything else out there right now.

The combat is amazing in D3. This is why I was so fucking bitter with the game because the combat was fucking awesome, but the loot was shit. I wanted to play, but didn't know what to play *for*.

You can't beat Blizzard's spit-polish; I really fucking wish someone would make a game with TL2's loot/items/skills and D3's combat.

Play for fun? That is why I play Diablo III, still rocking Witch Doctor, the Act1/Act2 runs still feel amazing, even if they give no loot (and if they do, all the better!).

hyduK

Banned

You should read the 1.05 notes, if you haven't.

accx

Preaching to the choir..

Also, about that shitty filter. It wasn't bloom as i said earlier. I dunno what it is. Doesn't anybody else have this?
It seems to be removed when going into the settings/zooming in closer to the character.

scy

Going Frost/Storm Embermage on Elite is an underwhelming start. Though, there's a good chance it's also that Icy Blast/Hailstorm for the low levels is just bad at whittling down enemies (especially with Icy Blast's awkward "sometimes I fire a bolt down the middle and sometimes I don't" spread). Undecided on how I want to do stats (1/1/2/1, 0/1/3/1?) since I'm not sure how relevant meleeing will still be in, say, 40 or 50 levels. Think I'll just go 1/1/2/1 and dealwithit.gif.

Also, Combat Log on Verbose makes a big difference for some feedback on how you're doing in combat.

bogg

The "main" bosses have so much hp fighting them become boring real fast. Other then that the game is a blast so far.

red13th

I started on Veteran and so far the difficulty was pretty good, but then I just beat the first boss who's level 12, I think, at level 9, and it wasn't that hard... maybe I should up it to the highest one, I don't remember the name.

I didn't really get a chance to play last night because I needed to catch up on sleep desperately. For those who played a good amount of the beta, are the control issues that have been brought up in this thread something that was introduced after that beta or does it play the same as it did in the beta? I remember they weren't quite as perfectly responsive as D3 but overall, more than good enough.

hyduK

Banned
I didn't really get a chance to play last night because I needed to catch up on sleep desperately. For those who played a good amount of the beta, are the control issues that have been brought up in this thread something that was introduced after that beta or does it play the same as it did in the beta? I remember they weren't quite as perfectly responsive as D3 but overall, more than good enough.

I think they're decent for the most part, I don't think anyones saying they're horrible. They just aren't as tight as D3.

spiritfox

Am I the only one wishing the game moved a TINY bit slower? Odd desire but I just think the characters move really fast.

I only have the healing bot so far on mine but he doesn't disappear unless I go into a new area.

I'm only talking about the gun and sledge bots, which are the attacking summons. If you are lucking you can also find summoning spell scrolls, but they are kinda rare and don't scale iirc.

Also, I keep getting unique guns and Outlander armor. I think the game is telling me something...

RS4-

ibz7woyYvM5pEY.jpg

Ended up rocking something like this, swapped out the regent crown with the hornhelm. Been a breeze with the two different set rewards of the 20% life steal and perks of the horn helm (the 12% set bonus on the horn helm only resulted in a 17HP difference from the crown atm)

Have an axe that does -41 armor on hit lol, so just using that to initiate, then swap to my dual wield gloves

Top Bottom