• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

sazzy

Are you sure it's input lag and not the beginning of the animation? I sense no lag.

Shift is your friend.

That is your most basic special attack. Your most basic attack is "shoot" which requires no mana and happens when you left click on an enemy or hold shift+left click.

I do use that (Alt actually, remapped it).

I have my primary on LMB.

So this is what happens:

Press Alt.
Press LMB. Guy starts shooting.
Leave Alt. Guy keeps shooting.
Me: WTF?

Complaining about the segmentation of the XP bar is sort of reaching.

Its a small thing... its just a quality of life thing.

If by input lag you mean activating another skill wile you're mashing your left click button and your character keeps attacking and your skill not activating it's not really input lag, some skills will activate, others need an actual small time where you need to stop clicking to activate.

Once you know it it's not really a problem, but this is what I was referring to when I said they could have done a little bit more work on controls.

You're using your basic attack on left click and rapid fire on right click right ?

I did away with the basic shoot thing because it was slower than a sloth.

I have Rapid Fire on LMB, and that other blue-color skill on RMB.

If I'm supposed to play with the shitty basic/slow attack as my primary, then I'm probably either quitting or rerolling.

fresquito

Ok so I'm really disliking this game now.

Got up to Level 9 on Outlander.

The controls suck. There is a definite input lag, and the characters seem to get stuck into animations. Click-and-move and click-and-attack seem to not differentiate between small distances from enemies/background.

Its annoying as fuck.

Oh and I'm still running out of mana using the most shitty and basic attack (Rapid Fire/Level 1). What the hell else am I supposed to use? I feel like the stupid charge mechanic is to blame. The bar fills up, attack speed goes up, I run out of mana and then twiddle my thumbs.

Very disappointed so far.
Erms, so you're complaining that your win button doesn't win enough?

Morokh

If I'm supposed to play with the shitty basic/slow attack as my primary, then I'm probably either quitting or rerolling.

Then quit, because all classes work like that, you can't afford to take a special skill as a primary attack unless you have enough mana leach / regen to support it, so not at early levels.

I would guess Diablo 3 was your first in the genre ?

Shoogoo

smh, some people are hard to please.

anyway, I tried 3 classes at the moment, and outlander is my favorite, shotgonnes are just too cool :D

how is embermage? are people enjoying it?

alstein

My impressions after Day 1- I think there's some good stuff here- but I think in terms of gameplay, this doesn't surpass Din's Curse, though Din's had a few problems of its own and didn't look nearly as good. Not really too attached to this though, as I got it as a gift and didn't buy it myself.

I'm glad I didn't buy D3.

sazzy

Then quit, because all classes work like that, you can't afford to take a special skill as a primary attack unless you have enough mana leach / regen to support it, so not at early levels.

I would guess Diablo 3 was your first in the genre ?

Yes.

Also that makes me really sad :(

Because I wasn't using my basic attack on the melee class in tl1. Mana regen was faster I think.

fresquito

I don't mean to be rude, but your complaints are a bit... weak?

You complain that your char is slow, and has lag. If you press shift (alt in your case), this only mean you dont move while attacking. This means that if you leave shift, but continue pressing LMB, your char will continue attack. If you want to stop attacking, leave the attacking button instead of the hold position button.

Then you complain about the attack speed being too slow. Check the fire speed of your weapon, try to get a faster one. It's no wonders the initial weapons are either weak or slow.

I wont say that you must enjoy the game, but it ssounds like thiss is not your kind of game or you've built your char poorly more than anything.

sazzy

I don't mean to be rude, but your complaints are a bit... weak?

You complain that your char is slow, and has lag. If you press shift (alt in your case), this only mean you dont move while attacking. This means that if you leave shift, but continue pressing LMB, your char will continue attack. If you want to stop attacking, leave the attacking button instead of the hold position button.

Then you complain about the attack speed being too slow. Check the fire speed of your weapon, try to get a faster one. It's no wonders the initial weapons are either weak or slow.

I wont say that you must enjoy the game, but it ssounds like thiss is not your kind of game or you've built your char poorly more than anything.

Not trying to come across as whiny.

The D3 beta had the same problem with move/hold button/LMB click which they fixed in live. You SHOULD start moving again after leaving Shift because LMB is also your move button. I'm sure they'll fix this.

Anyway, I'm gonna try reroll another class.

Morokh

Anyway, I'm gonna try reroll another class.

Reading your comment about the 'normal attack' maybe you should try Berserker.

Don't expect to avoid the normal attack with it you'll need to use it more than anything, but at least when you reach full charge you'll have the 'wow' effect you may have lost coming from D3 while that lasts.
Just invest in the skills that makes it last longer and charge faster among the other things you may like.
Careful, you can be a bit on the squishy side too.

sazzy

Reading your comment about the 'normal attack' maybe you should try Berserker.

Don't expect to avoid the normal attack with it you'll need to use it more than anything, but at least when you reach full charge you'll have the 'wow' effect you may have lost coming from D3 while that lasts.
Just invest in the skills that makes it last longer and charge faster among the other things you may like.
Careful, you can be a bit on the squishy side too.

Alright thanks!

Runic's twitter says that account creation and linking are back up. Anyone try yet?

sr7YA.jpg

Anyone here playing Construction Engineer? I have a few questions and there doesn't seem to be an official forum up right now so i'll try here.

Does anyone find any use for the spider mines? I have only tried them on lvl1 but they seem useless. Their damage is utter shit compared to blast cannon, which also costs like 1/4 of the mana. Do they have any use later on? If only used for the stun wouldn't the grenades work better for that?

Also the passive in construction that increases fire and electric damage, they don't add fire and electric damage, right? They only enhance the fire and electric damage i already do or am i wrong? That would mean that it doesnt add any damage at all unless you go for socketed stuff? I mean none of my spells seem to do any fire or electric damage according to their descriptions, only weapon damage and physical...

Vert boil

Played through the first Act last night and it's been excellent so far. It seems to run a bit better than the beta. It only slows down when I'm surrounded by twenty mobs and the screen is full of partial effects.
The only minor issue so far is the cut-scene movies stutter every five seconds. I'd put it down to my mediocre laptop (and it probably is my laptop) but they played fine in the beta. I haven't skimmed through the thread yet so other might have commented on it. No biggie.

zulux21

I'm bummed that enchanting is limited to 3 enchants per item :(

I think it goes higher than that you just have to find a better enchanter (I think the limit is 5) I am not 100% on that though....

also... again don't be to bummed, mods will come later this year and with them will likely come options to change stuff like that :p

linsivvi

I think I am going to re-roll my embermage. After doing more research on how the passives work I am going to change from wand to staff mastery and take advantage of the cumulative de-buff. That should work very well together with elemental boon and prismatic bolt.

I think it goes higher than that you just have to find a better enchanter (I think the limit is 5) I am not 100% on that though....

also... again don't be to bummed, mods will come later this year and with them will likely come options to change stuff like that :p

I chuckled a little bit when I looked at the achievement list and one of them is to install 10 mods. They encourage you to use mods. Such a big difference in philosophy from that other company.

Torraz

smh, some people are hard to please.

anyway, I tried 3 classes at the moment, and outlander is my favorite, shotgonnes are just too cool :D

how is embermage? are people enjoying it?

I have only played embermage so far. Level 21 @ beginning of act II.

I really like the class. Mixing and matching between the different elements is very easy and doable. Even at level 1 (and not having invested much in a particular tree before) skills can already pack quite a punch.

zulux21

I chuckled a little bit when I looked at the achievement list and one of them is to install 10 mods. They encourage you to use mods. Such a big difference in philosophy from that other company.

I haven't looked at the achievement list as I can't be bothered to care about them unless it involves a steam sale asking me to get them to get stuff to maybe get free stuff lol good to hear there is something there though because I know a number of people do go after achievements and I want a very active mod community for this game.

I am really hoping this game will turn out like little big planet for me. Play until I get bored. Put down for a month, come back and be wowed all over by the new amazing content lol.

MrKaepora

Finally I was able to link the game to my steam account. Off to work in a few hours, maybe I can play for a few hours online tonight.

commissar

Kicked off with a Beserker and loving it so far.
Only played singleplayer at the moment.

I do wish the story was interesting, though I bought it mainly for co-op and mods anyway :]

sazzy

So I've given up on my current Outlander... Level 13.

I want a summoner-like build, kind of like the witch doctor in D3.

Outlander has the shadowlings bit they proc too low.

Any suggestions?

spiritfox

Construction Engineer is the closest to a summoner build but the summons have limited time and you dont get an actual attack summon until lvl 21. There isn't a real summoner in TL2, which is kinda sad cause I like playing summoners in these kind of games.

But then again, you summon ROBOTS.

Am I the only one wishing the game moved a TINY bit slower? Odd desire but I just think the characters move really fast.

Construction Engineer is the closest to a summoner build but the summons have limited time and you dont get an actual attack summon until lvl 21. There isn't a real summoner in TL2, which is kinda sad cause I like playing summoners in these kind of games.

I only have the healing bot so far on mine but he doesn't disappear unless I go into a new area.

sazzy

Alright, I'll give it a shot!

If it doesn't work, I'm just going to wait a few more days before people come up with good summoner builds :D

spirity

So many small things that I like about this game.

I can't remember the quest givers name - "A Shady Character" or something. But he had an idling animation that had him open his trenchcoat to display inside a bunch of black market potions and odds and ends (well, I say black market as that was the insinuation - you couldn't buy any of it).

Little touches like that aren't a game maker, but I do appreciate them.

spirity

Am I the only one wishing the game moved a TINY bit slower? Odd desire but I just think the characters move really fast.

Odd thing is, I really hated the movement speed during beta. It was far too fast imo. But it doesn't seem to bother me now. I don't know why, I'm pretty sure its as fast as it was. Hellifiknow.

Authentication server seems to be done. Seemed to kick my friend out as we were doing the Act 1 boss.

I'm level 25. I need to stop playing.

Also got the Overpower achievement but I'm certain I don't even do a 10th of what it says.

I have so much apprehension about what skills to invest in. Level 14 Outlander, I've only invested in passives. I have 7 unused skill points. What's good for an Outlander? I kind of enjoy the throwing glaive skill they started me with but the tiers only upgrade the number of bounces it does on enemies, not really that unique.

Daeda

I have so much apprehension about what skills to invest in. Level 14 Outlander, I've only invested in passives. I have 7 unused skill points. What's good for an Outlander? I kind of enjoy the throwing glaive skill they started me with but the tiers only upgrade the number of bounces it does on enemies, not really that unique.

Glaive is nice for crowd control. Get the tower upgrade when you can, as it creates a healing field. Also, the one before the tower which pushes back enemies is quite useful.

DSmalls84

Really enjoying this so far, and its a nice change of pace from DIII. I really like the loot system and it seems like i found 5-7 unique items in 3 hours.

fresquito

Anyone here playing Construction Engineer? I have a few questions and there doesn't seem to be an official forum up right now so i'll try here.

Does anyone find any use for the spider mines? I have only tried them on lvl1 but they seem useless. Their damage is utter shit compared to blast cannon, which also costs like 1/4 of the mana. Do they have any use later on? If only used for the stun wouldn't the grenades work better for that?

Also the passive in construction that increases fire and electric damage, they don't add fire and electric damage, right? They only enhance the fire and electric damage i already do or am i wrong? That would mean that it doesnt add any damage at all unless you go for socketed stuff? I mean none of my spells seem to do any fire or electric damage according to their descriptions, only weapon damage and physical...
I haven't tried Cannon, but Spiders are good for AoE purposses; you can clean a place off small enemies with them+basic skill (which name I cant remember).

BTW, I had my first online games. One with two chinese guys, one with Tomalexi. Both were fun an really fast paced. Both worked quite well, didn't notice much lag.

NZNova

Enjoying it so far. Is there much point in upping str/dex for an embermage? It increases wand damage and so far I'm using my wand much more than my spells but who knows how these things scale...

"Enjoying it so far. Is there much point in upping str/dex for an embermage? It increases wand damage and so far I'm using my wand much more than my spells but who knows how these things scale..."

Focus increases wand damage, as wand damage is elemental damage.

RoyalFool

Banned
Really not feeling this so far, I picked a melee class and things I kind of took for granted in D3 are starting to cause problems. The biggest being not feeling the impacts of my attacks, and therefore questioning if I'm even hitting them or not. The direct attacks are not too bad, but the attacks with range or which hit groups have very little visceral feedback other than the flashy animation. I don't really know what the range is on a lot of them because it just uses a cheesy spot effect rather than a weapon trail.

sammich

Love the game so far!. Oh man this game is crazy fun so far. I wish i was home sick today. This game to me is 1000 times better D3. On that note.. is it just me.. or does some of the music sound soo eerily similar to D3?

Ive gotten so many upgrades, so many choices. I assume Normal is the mode where you cant get killed or its really really hard to get killed? I picked an engineer. Put one skill point in the healing bot, rest all in the armor and shields. I used mainly a Mace/shield and i didnt take any damage.. rarely did i see my health move. Went to my 2h hammer, and though i take some damage.. i pretty much crush everything really fast.

Game is great though. Graphics/sound everything are fun. Sending your pet to town to sell stuff is great(though my first game that did that was SWTOR). No complaints, but i do have some questions:

Is there a level limit?
Does this game progress like D3 in terms of difficulty? So when i finish normal, i can continue with the same toon on Hard etc?
I assume theres no such thing in the game for redoing your stat points or re-doing all your skills other than the last 3?

Top Bottom