• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

I think they're decent for the most part, I don't think anyones saying they're horrible. They just aren't as tight as D3.

Yeah, I know. I'm just wondering if they've changed since the beta, so I know what to expect. I'm sure Blizzard puts a ton of resources into making controls pixel perfect and super responsive. SC2 is the same way.

spirity

Anyone do any phase challenges yet?
I came across two, did the 'raise the totems' no problem, but goblins destroyed a crystal in the other one.

turnbuckle

Played for a little bit last night. One question I have: Is there a way to see how a piece of gear or weapon will change your stats compared to what you already have equipped? I like the comparison window in D3. Of course some of the stuff is simple enough to just eyeball it, but when you start throwing in %damage and crit damage and attack speed it can be difficult to tell what you're better off equipping.

zulux21

Played for a little bit last night. One question I have: Is there a way to see how a piece of gear or weapon will change your stats compared to what you already have equipped? I like the comparison window in D3. Of course some of the stuff is simple enough to just eyeball it, but when you start throwing in %damage and crit damage and attack speed it can be difficult to tell what you're better off equipping.

I just pop up the screen that you allocate points on as that will tell you your damage and armor and what not o_O;

someone does need to mod in stuff that says how your stats will change though like D3 has.

I feel like they give you very little incentive to invest points in more than one tree (this is on the engineer, maybe other classes are a bit different).

Definitely an engineer thing, where they have one tree for 2H weapons, one for sword and board, and one for ranged. It's the most varied class. The others definitely have some synergies within one tree, but they still have valuable abilities for anyone in each tree. Especially passives.

Ashodin

Ohhh yess finally got the game proper. No more demo for me!

Time to GAF Bro it up later.

edit: aaaaand successfully linked up as well!

Torraz

Anyone do any phase challenges yet?
I came across two, did the 'raise the totems' no problem, but goblins destroyed a crystal in the other one.

Two. One was really hard and one was pretty easy.

Hard
There was a vat of poison in the middle that one could click on to get 1 x poison vial. These were needed to close the 6-7 spider nests that were constantly spawning a very large number of mobs. Thus, it was necesary to grab poison --> evade swarm of spiders --> close nest --> get new poison --> rinse and repeat. This was pretty challenging due to how many spiders there are (slight problems retrieving poison from the container), plus problems with getting swarmed

Easy~ish
4 braziers that one needed to light in the correct order (while monsters spawn). Only 4 so it was pretty easy. Also a lot less mobs spawned than during the spider phase event.

after playing it for a while i would recommenda $5-ish steam sale pick up. game is alright, blizzard bullshit aside diablo 3 is, while playing on a whole different level. combat in D3 felt 100x better than this it just lacks the certain something that made it fun.

RS4-

Man, had a phase portal challenge and had 3 doors to pick from. Got the wrong door and enemies started popping out of it lol

_machine

Gameplay wise it's good, but it just feels way looser than D3. Combat doesn't give the feedback that a D2/D3 would. Everything from knowing you hit something, crit something, knockback. It just feels off. Not horrible by any means, though.
I kinda agree, the game controls definitely don't feel as solid as D2/3 or TQ and the combat is much more akin to a traditional ARPG like Sacred and TQ. However, the slightly faster pace (at least with the dual pistols) makes it more enjoyable to me than D3. Whereas Diablo 3's fights seem to drag on for too long (thrash mobs, not bosses) TL2's faster progress appeals to me much more. Especially at lower levels/difficutly D3 simply bored me because of the slow pace and crappy itemisation TL2 just hits me right from the start even if the combat mechanics aren't as "good" as D3. Still though, I really need to put a lot more hours into TL2 before making any deeper review of the game, but so far I think TL2 is a superior game regardless of the price difference.

turnbuckle

I just pop up the screen that you allocate points on as that will tell you your damage and armor and what not o_O;

someone does need to mod in stuff that says how your stats will change though like D3 has.

I took that approach but it wasn't very satisfying. I saw there was an advanced/"arcane" stat menu that shows a lot more detail, but comparing gear that way is really cumbersome. I'll give it a pass since it's day 1 and there's plenty of time for it to be fixed officially or through mods. Loved the speed of the game, still have to get used to it after playing D3 so much. Hopped on D3 for a minute afterwards and my +24% movement speed barb felt kinda slow. Combat isn't nearly as satisfying as D3 yet, but I'm basing that off of an hour and a half of beginning level play compared to 250 hours or so of D3.

Ashodin

I kinda agree, the game controls definitely don't feel as solid as D2/3 or TQ and the combat is much more akin to a traditional ARPG like Sacred and TQ. However, the slightly faster pace (at least with the dual pistols) makes it more enjoyable to me than D3. Whereas Diablo 3's fights seem to drag on for too long (thrash mobs, not bosses) TL2's faster progress appeals to me much more. Especially at lower levels/difficutly D3 simply bored me because of the slow pace and crappy itemisation TL2 just hits me right from the start even if the combat mechanics aren't as "good" as D3. Still though, I really need to put a lot more hours into TL2 before making any deeper review of the game, but so far I think TL2 is a superior game regardless of the price difference.

I'm gonna have to agree with you man. The pacing is much much better here than in D3. You're agonizingly trying to reach your destination in D3 whereas here you're happily blasting or meleeing away and it feels so natural to move forward.

Leckan

2 questions:

1. Can you continue your demo char to the full game?

2. Can you keep both the gem and item if you want to un-socket? If not, I think I done goofed.

V_Arnold

I'm gonna have to agree with you man. The pacing is much much better here than in D3. You're agonizingly trying to reach your destination in D3 whereas here you're happily blasting or meleeing away and it feels so natural to move forward.

Get to Frosted Hills, manage to die even once without the Portal unlocked, and you will agonizingly try to reach ANYTHING for minutes. The speed might be great, but the distances compensate for that more. (And the loading times. And the less waypoints. And the more empty space).

Carm

So, I updated my Nvidia drivers last night, on the very small chance my fps problem is driver related, no change. Checking the Runic forums this morning, I'm seeing a few threads with the same problem I'm having, so I know it's not my computer at least.

Anyone else noticing monsters spawning in at the edge of the screen? It really feels terrible. Wonder if it is a bug or just the way the game is.

This is one of the things that bugged me in beta, apparently it was never fixed. The fade in/out line is closer than it really should be. It should extend beyond the cameras max zoom range. Example Below, sitting npc fading out/back in.

Top left sitting npc faded in
Top left sitting npc faded out

Ashodin

Get to Frosted Hills, manage to die even once without the Portal unlocked, and you will be agonizingly try to reach ANYTHING for minutes. The speed might be great, but the distances compensate for that more. (And the loading times. And the less waypoints. And the more empty space).

Well I haven't been there yet so I have no idea.

Booter

Anyone else noticing monsters spawning in at the edge of the screen? It really feels terrible. Wonder if it is a bug or just the way the game is.

how could they not have noticed this? it really destroys the game immersion for me :( probably my biggest issue with the game right now.

Kule

Does anyone know where the key is to unlock the gold chest in frosted hills? cleared the whole map and all the dungeons there and never found it. is it a random drop?

My wife's character disappeared, anybody heard something about that?

Shouldn't it be saved on steam somewhere?

All saves should be in My Documents/My Games/Runic Games/Torchlight 2/Save, something along those lines. For me it backed them up to Steam as well and was accessible on multiple computers.

Does anyone know where the key is to unlock the gold chest in frosted hills? cleared the whole map and all the dungeons there and never found it. is it a random drop?

There's always a boss that drops it. Not in dungeons or anything, on the main map. You must have missed him. One of mine was a tiny bat that would've been easy to miss.

Morokh

nope you certainly missed a mob, a sort of red/gold big fly.

EDIt : or maybe it's different in every zone xD (see post before mine)

Shoogoo

All saves should be in My Documents/My Games/Runic Games/Torchlight 2/Save, something along those lines. For me it backed them up to Steam as well and was accessible on multiple computers.

Thanks, I see the save in said directory, but when she launches the game she only has "New Game", what's up with that D:

Since the game is fresh, I can't find anything on the matter on google, but it's weirding me out

spirity

hrmm_zpscdd09758.jpg

When considering the virtues of a Goat Head Wand, don't absentmindedly try and get it to swap places in your inventory with a Lucky Coin. You'll just augment the fucker.

Shoogoo

Is there a way to manually tell steam that the save is on my fucking computer? Because it keeps loading the save on steam cloud, and it seems there is nothing there anymore :<

linsivvi

Come on guys, keep that D3 comparison BS out of here. I don't see anyone trumpeting how much better TL2 is in the D3 thread. Let's talk about the game when everyone is still trying to figure out the game mechanics. If you want to shit things up, go to that kotaku thread, especially the Blizzard warriors.

accx

I've run into a couple of bugs (some may be as intended):

- Running Window Fullscreen mode sometimes fucks up and you can't alt tab back to whatever you have open in the background. This is maybe the biggest peeve i have. It's infuriating.

- Weapon swap sometimes doesn't register.

- Having a secondary bind button sometimes doesn't work (i.e "weapon swap on scroll" and "weapon swap on W"). Weapon swap on scroll works, "W" does not.

- Holding in LMB sometimes stops registering (i.e, you have to let go and hold again).

- When holding LMB i can literally move my mouse to any corner and it will still fire at the first point where i started holding in LMB. I think this is what fucks the combat up for me.

- Hit box on mobs seems far to large. I can have my pointer far away from mobs but it will still register like i want to attack that mob. This also fucks up the combat for me.

- That shitty "cloud" filter as i mentioned before. I have no idea what it is, but it looks like the game has a transparent white filter on top of everything else.

I think that's it. Might be forgetting something.

Oh!
This isn't much of a bug as it just seem stupid. The difficulty curve between Elite and Veteran seems fubared. I own everything in Veteran but it takes forever killing mobs in Elite. I think there should be another difficulty maybe that act as a middle ground.

Miletius

Oh!
This isn't much of a bug as it just seem stupid. The difficulty curve between Elite and Veteran seems fubared. I own everything in Veteran but it takes forever killing mobs in Elite. I think there should be another difficulty maybe that act as a middle ground.

It used to be worse, believe it or not. I decided to give it a go again and am glad to see my Engy can at least stand toe to toe against mobs for a bit now.

Overall I'm pleased. The game certainly has shortcomings, but it's still a good time. I like that they have class that's designed from the ground up for 2 handers. (and S&B for one tree).

zou

Agree with those saying that combat isn't as fluid and responsive as in D3. The feedback isn't always there and I'm not a fan of the enemies popping up as you get closers. The hit/action targets are also too small at times, I find myself missing quite a bit.

As for positives, finally no more fucking cut.scenes.interrupting.my.game. So refreshing just being able to stroll around and engage in fights. Oh and am I missing something, or is D3 pretty much completely flat (outside of stairs and what not)? Hadn't realized until I played TL2 that Diablo pretty much is one flat level.

Fitz

What's the maximum level in this? Maybe I'm missing something but I can't seem to find out what the highest level is anywhere.

Crossing my fingers for a sound mod to flesh out the combat. It's fun to play but it sounds so weak. I have a big huge axe for god's sake! I want to smash things harder.

- Having a secondary bind button sometimes doesn't work (i.e "weapon swap on scroll" and "weapon swap on W"). Weapon swap on scroll works, "W" does not.

Just a heads up, there's isn't a secondary bind button, there's a modifier button. That means you have to press 2 buttons.

onken

Just got this today and having a blast. Had this weird bug in the opening video where the sound kept cutting out but other than that, awesome fun.

Top Bottom