• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Miker

someone works extra buttons "Razer Deathadder"? i can assign but it dont work

Assigning extra mouse buttons works fine on my Logitech G500 and show up as XButton1/XButton2. Make sure you're assigning them to the first column, and not the second column, which are modifiers.

PhaZZe

Banned
Assigning extra mouse buttons works fine on my Logitech G500 and show up as XButton1/XButton2. Make sure you're assigning them to the first column, and not the second column, which are modifiers.

i can assign them but they doesn't work :(

Anyone have any suggestions on which active attack I should focus on for a 2 hander engineer?

Is the first skill, the fire hammer one, worthwhile to max out?

Bento

Have some more questions regarding Berserker and the game itself:

1.) How does Stormclaw work? Is it a buff or an attack? It has a 20 cd so I assume it's either one very strong attack or a buff you apply to yourself for a short time, which is it? :p

2.) Can you respec and how soon? It'd be nice to recoup that first level point if possible :p

Rokal

For those complaining about combat feedback and being unsure if attacks are hitting, try changing Combat Text to "Normal" instead of the default (sparse).

RS4-

Have some more questions regarding Berserker and the game itself:

1.) How does Stormclaw work? Is it a buff or an attack? It has a 20 cd so I assume it's either one very strong attack or a buff you apply to yourself for a short time, which is it? :p

2.) Can you respec and how soon? It'd be nice to recoup that first level point if possible :p

1. It's an active buff that gives you % chance to activate the chain lightning and it lasts for 20 seconds.

2. You can respec fairly early but only allows you to do the last three skills.

2. Can you keep both the gem and item if you want to un-socket? If not, I think I done goofed.

There are two vendors and you pick, either you lose the gems or you lose the items.

vaelic

Banned
FYI as some did not know this..

The entire Torchlight 2 Soundtrack is also part of the game purchase. Found here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Torchlight II\Torchlight II Official Soundtrack [+Digital Booklet]

Bento

1. It's an active buff that gives you % chance to activate the chain lightning and it lasts for 20 seconds.

2. You can respec fairly early but only allows you to do the last three skills.
Thanks for the answer

Is respeccing done by talking to someone or is there a quest to do similar to Diablo 2?

RS4-

Thanks for the answer

Is respeccing done by talking to someone or is there a quest to do similar to Diablo 2?

You talk to someone. I don't remember if its an actual quest, I think its through story progression and the person will be in all the towns.

Anyone find robot parts? I've only got one so far. Not sure what it does

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Isn't the site up now?
https://secure.runicgames.com/account/keys

I was able to log in.

Seems to be, I was able to link my account just now.

Saw the advertisement for the game and thought this was funny
ibzjNsm41fZH4K.png
Poor Outlander!

DSmalls84

I wasn't even able to get to the Runic site last night, but at 7 am EST before I went to work I tried again and was able to activate and link to Steam.

stuminus3

Remapped 1-4 to WASD for easier access to my skills. W for a haste spell, S for an awesome backwards vault, A for a tangling shot, D for an AOE skill. Right button is my awesome powered up "chakras".

Yeah, my Outlander is literally exactly the same as my DH in Diablo III. ^_^

Alchemy

I played for an hour after getting in some Borderlands 2 last night, got to level 10 with three unique socketables, a unique shoulder (sold, was not for my class), and five set pieces. Not counting the numerous magic items I found on top of that.

Progression speed and loot is fantastic. It is everything Diablo 3 was not. It is fast, progression feels real by allow me to make stat and skill point allocations, and I actually want to kill all the enemies I find because they actually drop loot I'm interested in. My brain is totally fucking overloaded with this and Borderlands 2.

I actually find Diablo 3 to have significantly better gameplay mechanics. I think it was a mistake for TL2 to keep the potion system, and D3 having built in character respecs as part of the skill system is genius. But TL2 is more addictive to play due to speed of progression, leveling mechanics, and loot drops.

The only reason I can give TL2 a pass on the leveling mechanics is because I don't plan to play it with an end game focus, which is where player allocated stat systems fail in loot whore games. Once people find optimal equipment builds, it will fall backwards on to optimal stat builds and the entire system becomes weak. But early game? Fucking love it.

Overrated and only happened for the first few hours for me.

I managed to get my account linked before it went down and was playing online minute 1, it's just that binding the account process to a specific website if a very silly thing to do. But hey, at least you got to play the damn thing minute 1, unlike Diablo 3.

Snowdrift

Are all pet skills autocast? I got two scrolls for "Summon Archers 1" so I gave one to the pet, but can't find a way to manually activate it.

Fixed1979

PLayed for an hour or so last night. Enjoyed it for the most part but something feels off with the movement. Maybe I just need to get used to it more, but it didn't seem as responsive as I would have liked..

Are all pet skills autocast? I got two scrolls for "Summon Archers 1" so I gave one to the pet, but can't find a way to manually activate it.

I believe so. They do it when they feel like it. I'm fine with that too! I don't want to have to micromanage their spells. My pup uses it effectively enough.

Morokh

Started a Weapon/shield Engineer and really felt weak on the offensive side, then I found a new shield with twice the armor ! GAME CHANGER ! :D Shield bash does more damage than my regular attack.

Seems like the weapons in the early stages really make a difference.

and D3 having built in character respecs as part of the skill system is genius..

Not really, it really hurts replayability, you never have a reason to restart a character again, and swapping skills isn't really the same thing than starting and theming an entirely new character.

There is a reason why they're still desperately adding out content 5 month after release.

After playing both games, I'm gonna download a parental control plugin for my browser and block any website that give less score to Torchlight II than Diablo III.

hyduK

Banned
Not really, it really hurts replayability, you never have a reason to restart a character again, and swapping skills isn't really the same thing than starting and theming an entirely new character.

There is a reason why they're still desperately adding out content 5 month after release.

Because they've been listening and actually implementing solid improvements? And because the genre is one that requires constant patching?

You realize D2 was supported for like 10 years right?

spirity

After playing both games, I'm gonna download a parental control plugin for my browser and block any website that give less score to Torchlight II than Diablo III.

Its been more or less 9's and 10's across the board. I knew it would do ok, but I'm surprised how well its been received. Hopefully the sales are good.

haha wut

T2 is a good game but at least reserve judgment until you've finished the game - because thats when D3 fell apart.
\
Also still can't make an account to play online.

hyduK

Banned

There's plenty of reasons that Diablo III could be rated higher than TL2. And vice versa.

And Diablo III in its current state is not really a contest.

Kalnos

Banned
haha wut

T2 is a good game but at least reserve judgment until you've finished the game - because thats when D3 fell apart.

D3 fell apart in Hell/Inferno. Unless you're referring to the story or something which would be Act 2, not that Torchlight 2 has an appealing story either.

rybrad

Because they've been listening and actually implementing solid improvements? And because the genre is one that requires constant patching?

As someone who enjoys both TL2 (and the original) and D3 (and the previous 2), I find all the Blizzard bashing in this thread quite odd. Say what you want about how D3 launched but Blizzard is probably second only to Valve in post-release support for their games.

That being said, TL2 is pretty damn amazing game especially when you consider the price point.

spirity

what is the functionality of fame? sorry i don't play TL1 :(

The more fame you earn, the more skill points you're awarded. At lvl 100, you'll have 100 skill points accumulated from leveling, and 50 from fame (if you max it by freeing slaves, killing elites and whatever else).

RS4-

I made a shitty mistake of putting a good skill on my pet then removing it...permanently. Did hit level 35 though!

Lotto

That's great. Another 10 more years and Diablo III will be up to speed. Oh wait, I don't care anymore. I'm getting old, and I played Diablo II during a time when I had time to wait for updates and look forward to them. It's a little too late for Diablo III. I waited 10 years for that game and it disappointed on so many levels. I don't care that they're trying to fix them, it's a little too late. Good for Blizzard though for listening to the community, it won't change the horrible impression that they made bad decisions on the get go and it took them 10 years to do it. Torchlight II is already out and it's everything I wanted and more, updates or not.

JoeBoy101

There is plenty of praise to heap onto TL2 right now, but I have to highlight one in particular right now I'm noticing:

Secret Areas.

In the first one, secret areas were a joke. Easily found and might as well be on the map. This time around, hidden unhighlighted buttons and offmap entrances you REALLY have to look for. Feels much more like an accomplishment to find these areas.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This game looks great! Sucks I'm gonna be broke (even on my birthday) but hopefully will get this at a later time. BTW, is there a retail version because Amazon doesn't even show one. Guess it's digital download only.

hyduK

Banned
As someone who enjoys both TL2 (and the original) and D3 (and the previous 2), I find all the Blizzard bashing in this thread quite odd. Say what you want about how D3 launched but Blizzard is probably second only to Valve in post-release support for their games.

That being said, TL2 is pretty damn amazing game especially when you consider the price point.

Some people like to see the big guys fail. D3 had a rough launch, but the game itself was not much better/worse than TL2 is (it was better/worse in different ways).

I mean, there was an article on Forbes today saying that TL2 was more polished than D3. Sorry, there's definitely some areas that TL2 is better than D3 at, but being polished is absolutely not one of them.

I guess there's a lot of bitterness over DRM and RMAH.

Top Bottom