• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

spirity

Graphics/art I suppose can be subjective. But they use basically the same style and D3 just does it better. Blizzard has one of the best art teams in the industry.

D3 hurt my eyes after a bit. That blur effect was afwul. They should have had that as an option in the settings. I used that darkd3 thing and that fixed it. TL2 has a sharpness and clarity thats much more easy on the eyes and appealing. In terms of art direction, I prefer PoE over both games to be honest.

Blizzard

Banned
In addition to my question about quests activating, is multiplayer Steam linking down again? My friend can't get linked, and I can't import my friends list so far even with a public profile. :(

Kalnos

Banned
I don't understand the responsiveness complaint and I wish people would actually explain what they mean by 'tight'. If the best way you can describe the difference is that one game is simply lacking the magical Blizzard 'tightness' it's hard to sympathize with you.

antitrop

I do have to say, once you start leveling up the Charge ability, the Wizard class starts to become a lot cooler. It's like the hook to the class that makes it interesting.

Alchemy

I don't understand the responsiveness complaint and I wish people would actually explain what they mean by 'tight'. If the best way you can describe the difference is that one game is simply lacking the magical Blizzard 'tightness' it's hard to sympathize with you.

'Tight' has a lot of factors in it and it can vary per user. It is usually connected to the games feedback loop of inputs causing actions causing reactions in the game. So if you're talking about the tightness of controls, it has to do with how fast the game recognizes your input, begins movement, how fast you move, and in D3/TL2 how well your character path finds to the point you clicked. Combat tightness would related to pressing actions causing attacks that impact enemies in a way that feels like a powerful impact, which has a lot to do with the visuals and sounds associated with those actions.

It is hard to qualify but it is definitely discernible.

scy

I do have to say, once you start leveling up the Charge ability, the Wizard class starts to become a lot cooler. It's like the hook to the class that makes it interesting.

I really wish Frost spec (at least at low levels) had a better skill to spam during these stretches of infinite Mana.

Though, I was kind of hoping to avoid Charge Mastery :(

TheExodu5

Banned

There's more camera shake in Diablo 3 for a lot of attacks, which gives a sense of feedback. Also, animations have more of a "snap" to them, which tends to peak at the time of impact.

Still, plenty of attacks in Diablo 3 felt like shit (Poison Darts).

Well, there is all sorts of micro and stutter stepping that is possible, even encouraged in Diablo 3. Trying to do similar things in Torchlight 2 has so far been an exercise in frustration. To me, the ability to pull off high player-skill based actions is what makes a game 'tight and responsive.' Spend a lot of time playing a good MOBA, and you'll know what I mean instinctively.

Still really enjoying the game, I must say.

Gvaz

Banned
A couple of quick questions:

-How do I save my progress when I want to exit out?

-How do I turn up the color/contrast on the game? Everything seems kind of washed out imo. I'm playing with everything turned on high and at 1920x1080.

-Am I missing something? This game doesn't really seem to guide you into gameplay/teaching you how to play and how everything works. It's like they threw me into a quest immediately.

Just exit the game. The game saves everything how you left it.

I don't know yet.

You know I didn't expect someone to play this who wasn't already familiar with Torchlight 1 or other A-rpgs. Just kill shit and explore. That's your goal.

RS4-

Berserker- Should I go dual wield or Sword and Board?

Is there any advantage to dual wield and can you survive at higher levels?

I've been running dual wield; the high attack speed, execute chance is nice for charge building.

Haven't felt the need for a shield since I have life steal on hit, crit and via skills like the wolf charge thing. Also get life return from my pet and wolf summon as well.

antitrop

Just got to the part where you have to "Stay in the Light" ala Gears of War. I think that's a pretty interesting game mechanic to add to this type of game, it's pretty cool. Props.

PhaZZe

Banned
I really love this game, never before i played with "wizard/mage" class, i take in this game and woah it's awesome! The music give me a great atmosphere when i fight with bosses or enter in dungeons.

Embermage level 20 with some specializations in "frost/lighting"
"Icy Blast" and "Hailstorm" destroy every horde!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well, there is all sorts of micro and stutter stepping that is possible, even encouraged in Diablo 3. Trying to do similar things in Torchlight 2 has so far been an exercise in frustration. To me, the ability to pull off high player-skill based actions is what makes a game 'tight and responsive.' Spend a lot of time playing a good MOBA, and you'll know what I mean instinctively.

Still really enjoying the game, I must say.
Being someone who likes to do this sort or thing, which class / spec should I roll?

V_Arnold

gOeZZ.jpg

The first day.

I do not really consider loot that amazing in the game btw, removing half the range of the weapon missile shots (so the missiles actually disappear in thin air WAY before out of screen) JUST so you can introduce +range affix is not really clever, or good - but that is only my opinion, of course. I also could not imagine that people that were tired of allres hunt in ENDGAME D3 would welcome the EARLY GAME +specific res hunt so much that is on all these items :p

Being someone who likes to do this sort or thing, which class / spec should I roll?

Someone with a gun. Embermage/Outlander is fine I guess, just make sure that you use the fastest weapons possible. That is the key with this.
Also, mouse positioning currently sucks. If you hold the mouse down, the game stops by detecting that and does not go any further - no matter what other hotkey you are spamming or what you might wanna do, as long as LMB is down, the character will repeat its last action on the previous target. Forget 10 years of muscle memory for it, basically.

Kalnos

Banned
'Tight' has a lot of factors in it and it can vary per user. It is usually connected to the games feedback loop of inputs causing actions causing reactions in the game. So if you're talking about the tightness of controls, it has to do with how fast the game recognizes your input, beings moving, how fast you move, and in D3/TL2 how well your character path finds to the point you clicked.

To me this is responsiveness, and I have no issue with the game here.

Combat tightness would related to pressing actions causing attacks that impact enemies in a way that feels like a powerful impact, which has a lot to do with the visuals and sounds associated with those actions.

I agree that their should be more animations from enemies when they're being hit (staggering, etc). It varies from ability to ability, though.

It is hard to qualify but it is definitely discernible.

Agreed and that's why it's annoying when people just throw around buzz words instead of saying what they mean. I appreciate your input.

Charge Mastery and Wand Chaos are just awesome for me. Build up the meter with my dual-wand wielding, causing random elemental effects with each strike, then when the meter is full - cause elemental mayhem from afar. Embermage is deadly from ANY range with my build.

DSmalls84

I've been running dual wield; the high attack speed, execute chance is nice for charge building.

Haven't felt the need for a shield since I have life steal on hit, crit and via skills like the wolf charge thing. Also get life return from my pet and wolf summon as well.

What stats are you using? Do you need to put points into focus or can you just use the passive skill to boost execute?

Gvaz

Banned
maybe I shouldn't even bother then...well I think I figured out that the wave ends when achieve a killing spree to a high degree, because there's this halo around the obelisk that raises when you kill in succession and lowers when you stop.

Yes, you did get a popup that said "kill shit as fast as you can!!!" or did you ignore the huge fucking popup on the screen?

You guys are lucky - I only got one unique so far and it isn't even for an Embermage. Can I stash uniques and use them on another playthrough for a different class?

filipe

Just got to the part where you have to "Stay in the Light" ala Gears of War. I think that's a pretty interesting game mechanic to add to this type of game, it's pretty cool. Props.

I'm not at that point but that definitely is an interesting mechanic to add to this kind of game. Did they handle it well?

Blizzard

Banned
A couple of quick questions:

-How do I turn up the color/contrast on the game? Everything seems kind of washed out imo. I'm playing with everything turned on high and at 1920x1080.
Try turning bloom and edge-lighting off and see if you like that better.

*edit* The Steam friends list import is apparently still broken, but you can add friends manually if you know their account names. I'm not sure if the initial Runic-Steam account link is still broken. *edit* Yep, that's still down too, so I can't play with my friend even though I linked my account earlier today. :(

Gvaz

Banned
WTF, trying to make an account for TL2 on the runic site is the first time that I've ever had every name I generally use for games/internet stuff be unavailable.

CAN'T PLAY, WASTE OF 20 DOLLARS.

put in your password first then your other info. I heard that works because they're not really unavailable unless your name is like BoB or something

Morokh

Yep. Town Portal scrolls and Identify scrolls should have got scrapped.

For what it's worth I just was nicely remembered that gaining a level will identify everything in your inventory.

Got a couple of orange items (finally ! xD ) but for embermage and Outlander :(

Also died to some Mirka Slashers, I know they are freaking hitting like mad with their ice scream, should have been less reckless :p

Getting the feel of my engineer, once again I clearly underestimated the potential of shield bash in the beginning, but since I got Overload things just got real :p

The Goblin caves Boss has gone into some changes since the Beta, did anyone else find it a little bit easy ? (on Veteran difficulty)

RS4-

What stats are you using? Do you need to put points into focus or can you just use the passive skill to boost execute?

Mostly STR and DEX. Not sure what my focus is, but I think the base execute chance is around 15% and execute is at 21%. Stats are 81/73/40/50.

Executioner gives a small passive bonus to activating execute. Dual wield claws make skills proc so easily. The chance of crits go up because of the number of attacks you're putting in and reliance on potions go way down because of the Blood Hunger passive. Combine that with weapon and pet life on hit, Shadow Burst and Wolf Shade, you will steal life constantly, activating Rampage is just a bonus too.

I don't like Eviscerate as it gives you a negative penalty to charge. Instead I run (along with the skills mentioned above), Stormclaw and Storm Hatchet, Howl and Battle Rage. I'm not sure if the Storm Hatchet #s are right at 5% but it feels like it gives you quite a bit more Charge per hit. I like all nine passives as well.

JoeBoy101

Torchlight22012-09-2116-15-27-99_zpsc519cf6f.jpg

My Berserker just lost his shit. Just got this for him with my Engineer.

Anyone know what augmenting the weapon does? I assume once I kill 50 zombies, the stats improve?

Fugu

I wish someone would have told me that shadowshot was piss ass buggy before I invested a bunch of points into it.

gOeZZ.jpg

The first day.

I do not really consider loot that amazing in the game btw, removing half the range of the weapon missile shots (so the missiles actually disappear in thin air WAY before out of screen) JUST so you can introduce +range affix is not really clever, or good - but that is only my opinion, of course. I also could not imagine that people that were tired of allres hunt in ENDGAME D3 would welcome the EARLY GAME +specific res hunt so much that is on all these items :p

Someone with a gun. Embermage/Outlander is fine I guess, just make sure that you use the fastest weapons possible. That is the key with this.
Also, mouse positioning currently sucks. If you hold the mouse down, the game stops by detecting that and does not go any further - no matter what other hotkey you are spamming or what you might wanna do, as long as LMB is down, the character will repeat its last action on the previous target. Forget 10 years of muscle memory for it, basically.
I'm not sure you understand the complaint about +allres items. People don't like it because it takes the specialization out of selecting gear, which single element resistance has. Also, at the beginning of the game no one gives a crap about resistance anyway.

Similarly, I don't understand your second complaint, as most games in the genre don't allow you to use a hotkey to interrupt auto attack without letting go of the auto attack button; hell, not every game in the genre lets you auto attack, and most of them use a Diablo 2-style control scheme so hotkeys don't actually do anything by themselves anyway.

alazz

Yep augmentation gives the weapon bonuses when you kill the required number. So sad I haven't found one yet :(

Yes, you did get a popup that said "kill shit as fast as you can!!!" or did you ignore the huge fucking popup on the screen?

Hah well now I know that but when I went in that one (my first one) I only noticed that a message had disappeared. I don't remember what I was doing but I wasn't looking at torchlight when the goal appeared

V_Arnold

I wish someone would have told me that shadowshot was piss ass buggy before I invested a bunch of points into it.

I'm not sure you understand the complaint about +allres items. People don't like it because it takes the specialization out of selecting gear, which single element resistance has. Also, at the beginning of the game no one gives a crap about resistance anyway.

Similarly, I don't understand your second complaint, as most games in the genre don't allow you to use a hotkey to interrupt auto attack without letting go of the auto attack button; hell, not every game in the genre lets you auto attack, and most of them use a Diablo 2-style control scheme so hotkeys don't actually do anything by themselves anyway.

1) It is not auto attack cancelling, it is simply auto attack being the priority in most situations where it should not be (and it is not in other games, clearly, otherwise many of us would not be so freaked out by it)

2) My "complaint"* is that I am looking at my gear and all I see is that beside a few basic traits, the most variety is simply "resistance". (Same with non-unique gems btw) That is not variety. This is not D2 where I suddenly decide to farm Andariel only and I need poison res. The game does not throw me one elemental type, and also, if it did, there is no dungeon reset either, so I could not build a gear with that specific res and farm it over and over again. You cant really have elemental resist variety this way - and while All res certainly dumbs it down one step further, at least it does not get introduced until mid-hell, really.

*It is not even a complaint: I am fine with the gear in D3, and fine with it in T2 as well. So far.

I am having a blast with this game!! It's very addicting, liked the beta, love the finished product. I'm pretty early in, just took down General Grell.. but I have to say I am having way more fun with this than I was with TL1 (which I thought was cool)

Stacking my skill points for now, until a decide on what build I want. I think the music is great, pacing of levels and all of that loot, loot, loot!!

scy

Off work, time to play~

The majority of the complaints about about the suddenly needing it aspect of All Resistance rather than introducing it over the game. I do agree that having All Resistance (at equal values to single resistances) sort of destroys any rationale behind single resists even existing, however.

How do I adjust my difficulty?

Im in Act 2 with my Engineer and he is just getting stomped. I havent had much luck with drops. I'm on veteran like I played in Beta but I need to get over this hump.

antitrop

I have no idea what Act I'm in. Ive played 8 hours so far and I'm Level 34. I can't still be on Act 1, can I?

I'm in the Imperial Camp. I think it's Act 3, maybe?

alazz

How do I adjust my difficulty?

Im in Act 2 with my Engineer and he is just getting stomped. I havent had much luck with drops. I'm on veteran like I played in Beta but I need to get over this hump.

You can join online games of a lower difficulty, but for single-player? I'm not sure if you can without editing your game files?

Top Bottom