• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Fugu

What's the actual damage on it? I'm on Elite as well and I'd say I'm down to around 10% of my swings, if that high, are purple text glancing blows. This is at a low level (~12) on a low STR Embermage.

Edit: 25-30, 32-47 for Weapons. -5 Armor/hit on a Claw weapon for my off-hand to help bypass Armor.
The damage on it is a lot higher than that, I can tell you that much. I have no armour reduction, however; I'll try that.

scy

Do you gain anything by just sticking to one tree? I like to mix and match.

Better synergy, though there's some good cross-tree synergy as well. Frost for Embermage, for instance, has a lot of -Resist debuffs in it for the other trees.

The damage on it is a lot higher than that, I can tell you that much. I have no armour reduction, however; I'll try that.

To be fair, I haven't looked into how mitigation functions. There could be some other factor to it. I just know that purple text is basically the game indicating to you that your damage output is rather low. Just a way for the game to show that you need to upgrade without needing you to be on the lookout for low damage numbers themselves, just keep an eye out for purple text.

Just to add, by low STR I mean 13 STR/39 Focus. I did forget that I have +16 Physical Damage slotted on my MH with I think +15 or so damage on the rest of my equipment? Gives me a 52-79/44-51 listed damage range for my setup,

Also, Frost Mage so not sure how Stuns (Hailstorm) or Freeze (Icy Blast) add to this.

Edit: Oh yeah, don't forget Fumble Chance + Fumble Damage Reduction.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
If you are starting off as a mage, I recommend ditching that one point in fire at the start and at least dumping 5 points into prisim. It makes a world of difference

Fugu

To be fair, I haven't looked into how mitigation functions. There could be some other factor to it. I just know that purple text is basically the game indicating to you that your damage output is rather low. Just a way for the game to show that you need to upgrade without needing you to be on the lookout for low damage numbers themselves, just keep an eye out for purple text.

Just to add, by low STR I mean 13 STR/39 Focus. I did forget that I have +16 Physical Damage slotted on my MH with I think +15 or so damage on the rest of my equipment? Gives me a 52-79/44-51 listed damage range for my setup,

Also, Frost Mage so not sure how Stuns (Hailstorm) or Freeze (Icy Blast) add to this.
I think I just need to take a look at the damage calculations. My weapon is the highest damage I've found so far (except for a polearm or a grand piano or some shit) so I don't think that's the issue.

I've found two pairs of mechano-pants. This is not fair, game.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think I just need to take a look at the damage calculations. My weapon is the highest damage I've found so far (except for a polearm or a grand piano or some shit) so I don't think that's the issue.

I've found two pairs of mechano-pants. This is not fair, game.

There is a natrual chance you do shit damage, its directly tied to your dex stat to prevent it.

The purple are glancing blows. The higher dex you have the less of them you get

I love the random maps, hate the slow down with lots of enemies on screen.

Playing on Veteran difficulty, tried 2 chars on Elite, but it became frustrating.

Rokal

What's the actual damage on it? I'm on Elite as well and I'd say I'm down to around 10% of my swings, if that high, are purple text glancing blows. This is at a low level (~12) on a low STR Embermage.

Edit: 25-30, 32-47 for Weapons. -5 Armor/hit on a Claw weapon for my off-hand to help bypass Armor.

I thought purple hits were fumbles? If so, they are TL2's version of missing (you do less damage instead of none). You're supposed to invest in dex to reduce fumble change/penalty.

scy

I thought purple hits were fumbles? If so, they are TL2's version of missing (you do less damage instead of none). You're supposed to invest in dex to reduce fumble change/penalty.

Yeah, I thought about that after I said that about low damage. They're probably just fumbles. Forgot those are straight damage reductions rather than misses :| I at least caught it with a (late) edit!

Fugu

There is a natrual chance you do shit damage, its directly tied to your dex stat to prevent it.

The purple are glancing blows. The higher dex you have the less of them you get
Dex is by far my highest stat and I still get them more often than not.

EDIT: Well, I boosted my damage and now they do 2 damage instead of 1.

V_Arnold

Dex is by far my highest stat and I still get them more often than not.

EDIT: Well, I boosted my damage and now they do 2 damage instead of 1.

What level are you btw? Soon you will reconsider that "res does not come into play" statement of yours! :D

RkOwnage

I skipped over Torchlight 1 for reasons I can't really explain (my own stupidity, really) but I am enjoying TL2 immensely. That being said, are there farmable bosses like from D2 days? or is this one of those games where once you finish a boss, it's done.

Just wondering in advance.

alazz

Not sure how this build is going to pan out later on, but I'm having a blast as a melee Outlander using a two-handed axe and occasionally a bow. Later on I plan to switch to two faster melee weapons. Honestly I think it has higher average dps and lower mortality than my Berserker. So far I'm level 8 or 9 and I've invested one point into rune vault and the rest in passives. I can take care of small groups of enemies with ease and take down individual enemies within a group pretty easily zipping around with Rune Vault to avoid damage and get better vantage spots. With the right armor and weapon bonuses I think it could be a really powerful build. I'm thinking convey burn, life steal, and poison.

Gotta stop for now to start writing an essay :(

I skipped over Torchlight 1 for reasons I can't really explain (my own stupidity, really) but I am enjoying TL2 immensely. That being said, are there farmable bosses like from D2 days? or is this one of those games where once you finish a boss, it's done.

Just wondering in advance.
You can join an online game and you receive all new randomized world layouts so you can farm bosses that always spawn in certain areas. That's the best I know. I've had dungeons and areas reset on me with identical layouts and units after using a TP but I doubt that's supposed to happen.

Fugu

What level are you btw? Soon you will reconsider that "res does not come into play" statement of yours! :D
I said it doesn't come into play at low levels, so unless I get some retroactive deaths, I think my statement will continue applying thank you very much!

Respecced my first point. I feel so dirty.

decided to re-roll ember mage since I wasn't feeling the outlander as much as I'd expected, really enjoying myself. I will say that 12 seconds of clear-casting for reaching full charge is a little bit much, I'd expect to see that tuned down slightly in a future patch, or they could decrease the rate at which charge builds so it's not up pretty much all the time.

right now I can unleash a rapid stream of fireballs and have clear-casting activate before my mana gets below about 75%, then regen to full before it runs out. I mean, it's awesome, but I can't help but think that it's a bit excessive.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
decided to re-roll ember mage since I wasn't feeling the outlander as much as I'd expected, really enjoying myself. I will say that 12 seconds of clear-casting for reaching full charge is a little bit much, I'd expect to see that tuned down slightly in a future patch, or they could decrease the rate at which charge builds so it's not up pretty much all the time.

right now I can unleash a rapid stream of fireballs and have clear-casting activate before my mana gets below about 75%, then regen to full before it runs out. I mean, it's awesome, but I can't help but think that it's a bit excessive.

Yeah, a lot of berserker skills have charge penalties, and I can see why. You cut a bloody swath through everything when you crit on every hit and have Red Wolf specced.

It's amazing how much better this game is than D3

Not really. Considering it's much of the original D2 team, I'm not amazed at all.

RS4-

Where did you get the 2nd part?

I wish I could remember which quest/dungeon it was.

Actually I do remember what each part involved:
- hitting 4 gongs to unlock a gate
- destroying eggs to have some guy that was blocking the path to come up from the ground

I can't say for sure of they were story or optional quests. I'll assume its one part per act (if I got the gong one in a1)

Charge Mastery makes the charge bar even crazier @_@

Embermage is nuts when you can dish out firestorm and lightning bolts constantly

My first character is an Engineer using a cannon. I'm really loving it. I like shooting wide spread fire from a distance.

Usually I use my first few characters as a sample. Try out different perks and see whether they're fun for me to play. Then I can delete them and try to start a proper character from scratch.

This may be a stupid question about strength.

I'm using an engineer who has a cannon. It says the strength statistic increases damage with all weapons. Is this also true for guns/cannons?

Just seems weird to me, considering other rpgs, that strength would also apply to increasing gun dmg. Also, when I look at other cannons/gun requirements, it seems they want more dexterity to qualify to use a weapon if you don't meet the level requirement. Just making sure I'm understanding correctly.

Taffer

This may be a stupid question about strength.

I'm using an engineer who has a cannon. It says the strength statistic increases damage with all weapons. Is this also true for guns/cannons?

Just seems weird to me, considering other rpgs, that strength would also apply to increasing gun dmg. Also, when I look at other cannons/gun requirements, it seems they want more dexterity to qualify to use a weapon if you don't meet the level requirement. Just making sure I'm understanding correctly.

Strength does boost cannon damage, this means you can carry a massive hammer for those times when only a massive hammer will do and not have to worry about not having points in melee damage. Dexterity increases crit chance and reduces fumble penalties.

antitrop

I'll have to errata a bit of what I said last night, the music gets better as the game goes on. Still nothing special, but it does get better.

I wanna try online co-op now. Anyone want to play? Or try to, at least. I think I just linked my Steam account and stuffs.

Welp, nvm. "Looks like something went wrong." BS, did Francis respond to this yet?!

zulux21

Someone post their engineer build D: i wanna see how you invested your stats/skills

current build
heal bot 4
aegis of fate 1
flame hammer 1
heavy lifting 4

Stats
strength 37
dex 8
focus 5
vitality 25

PS: I have no clue what I am doing besides maxing out heal bot as soon as possible :p

theytookourjobz

Game is great so far (I'm in Act 3) but I'm going to have to echo the sentiments of others regarding polish vs D3. The combat in Diablo just feels better. And while the control you have over your character is greater than D3, I find myself stockpiling points because I don't want to make the wrong choice.

Like I said, I'm loving the game. But I'm not ready to say it's better than Diablo 3 when the problem most people have with that game (I disagree) is the endgame, and I'm not sure TL2 will be any better on that front.

spirity

Clear-casting?

antitrop

I love the feeling of downing tough bosses in this game and seeing them explode with tons of gold and shit like a fucking loot pinata. It feels immensely satisfying.

Phase Portals are cool.

2012-09-21_00001_zpsb41a5941.jpg

spirity

KO Traveling Hobo said:
Manaless casting. I know it was a thing in WoW, but I'm not sure if that's the origin.

Oh ok, thanks.

I once had to fight three champion tar slimes. That took longer than any boss fight so far. They kept breaking up into smaller and smaller slimes.

Yeah same. Mr Tar, King Tar and some other one. So much loot and coin though.

antitrop

The Wizard is very poorly designed. It's Charge or bust.

Goes from weak, slow, and fragile to ungodly killing machine of mass destruction with a progress bar. Not much too it.

Valnen

The Wizard is very poorly designed. It's Charge or bust.

Goes from weak, slow, and fragile to ungodly killing machine of mass destruction with a progress bar. Not much too it.

I don't really like any of the spells either. There's not much to choose from and none of them seem particularly flashy like skills in Diablo 3. I LOVE electrocute in D3, few games get lightning art to look awesome but that spell looks crazy good in D3. I wish there was a similar skill here. None of the lightning skills in this game are very cool actually =/.

I wish there were more skills for ALL classes actually. I really feel there isn't much to choose from.

Norua

Banned
Quick question before I buy the game :
Is the game region locked? I live in Europe, will I be able to play with friends in North America? Different servers like Diablo, it doesn't matter or it's closed?

Top Bottom