• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Deadbeat

Banned
Berserker- Should I go dual wield or Sword and Board?

Is there any advantage to dual wield and can you survive at higher levels?
See this is what I was wondering as well. Sometimes your guy takes advantage of two weapons and attacks faster but I dont feel the trade off is worth it.

Odrion

Banned
Yeah, this game is pretty great. Diablo 3 may have better "feedback" or whatever, but holy smokes the loot and stats in TL2 are a whole lot more interesting. You know, the stuff that actually matters in these games.

Oh yeah, and the difficulty. Hard is pretty hard! THANK GOD.

Trickster

The majority of the complaints about about the suddenly needing it aspect of All Resistance rather than introducing it over the game. I do agree that having All Resistance (at equal values to single resistances) sort of destroys any rationale behind single resists even existing, however.

Eh, the way I see it, the problem with All res lies in the fact that, along with a handfull of other stats, it's soo important to being able to do inferno, that it's simply not feasible to not have those stats.

Back to Torchlight 2. Just completed it. Had a blast doing it aswell. a MUCH better game than torchlight 1, which imo was an extremely boring dungeon crawler.

I love the fact that you get interesting loot all the time, such a stark contrast to how loot is in diablo 3 before you hit the lvl cap.

Looking forward to starting my NG+ playthrough.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Man, the Elite difficulty has been pretty brutal so far, for my Level 7 2h engineer. Not that that's a terrible thing.

It's so satisfying when I get a better greathammer, which allows me to go from barely surviving to steamrolling mobs. The loot is great.

Fugu

1) It is not auto attack cancelling, it is simply auto attack being the priority in most situations where it should not be (and it is not in other games, clearly, otherwise many of us would not be so freaked out by it)

2) My "complaint"* is that I am looking at my gear and all I see is that beside a few basic traits, the most variety is simply "resistance". (Same with non-unique gems btw) That is not variety. This is not D2 where I suddenly decide to farm Andariel only and I need poison res. The game does not throw me one elemental type, and also, if it did, there is no dungeon reset either, so I could not build a gear with that specific res and farm it over and over again. You cant really have elemental resist variety this way - and while All res certainly dumbs it down one step further, at least it does not get introduced until mid-hell, really.

*It is not even a complaint: I am fine with the gear in D3, and fine with it in T2 as well. So far.
I'm not talking about cancelling. It's not in other games because many of them have a Diablo 2-style hotkey system where the hotkeys themselves don't actually do anything, so of course the function will change if you continue to hold down the mouse button. You might be freaked out about it because you just came from Diablo 3, which is anything but standard for the genre when it comes to the control scheme.

The bigger issue with TL2's control scheme is the input fidelity; it takes a long time after a button press for the game to target an attack or spell.

Resistance is pretty irrelevant until endgame anyway, and we're not there so it's not really even worth discussing.

How is shadowshot buggy?
Shadowshot's secondary projectiles (the ones that it spawns after you hit) are inconsistent in where they spawn and if they spawn at all. The most obvious example of this is in any situation where there's irregular terrain; they will often spawn beneath the terrain and hit no one. Moreover, in some dungeons (or anything else where there are consistent changes in elevation in a non-hilly fashion), this will happen every time at certain levels. It makes the skill basically a slower auto attack at those times, as it only hits one target. The trajectory is also a little wonky, but I may just not have used the skill enough.

beanman25

Gotta wait to buy this. :( someone tried using my card and now I can't buy anything until the investigation ends. haha.

videos will have to do, haha.

Ashodin

Just had a blast up to the first
temple guardian
with thetrin. Fucking love this game!

PS. Overload engineer skill sucks balls at low level, I imagine. it takes forever to get charge to max (which is when you feasibly want to use it for damage).

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Haha. Act 2 spoilers.

So I'm sitting there fighting the Manticore. I'm moving all around it, but I was trying to contain the fight to a small area so my Thunder Locus and Burning Pillars would hit it more. As long as I teleported away when he got close, he was easy to manage. Then all of a sudden...

MANTICORE'S MATE

Out of nowhere, a second boss appears behind me. So much for containing the fight. I eventually took them both down without dying, but they sure put up a fight together.

I also found the Gambler and decided to give it a few tries. First attempt: Unique Helmet. And it was a good one too. I call that a victory.

(Still can't get good Shoulders out of him though. Five tries so far and they were all green.
LLShC.gif
)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yeah, this game is pretty great. Diablo 3 may have better "feedback" or whatever, but holy smokes the loot and stats in TL2 are a whole lot more interesting. You know, the stuff that actually matters in these games.

Oh yeah, and the difficulty. Hard is pretty hard! THANK GOD.

Agreed on all counts. Once you get some abilities, combat is amazing in TL2.

I love D3 and put an ungodly amount of hours into the game, but I really do think TL2 is a better game. Secret rooms, more interesting loot, more of a world to explore, and 6 players!

I think Veteran difficulty is just about right for me. It's challenging, but not too cheap.

Also, that shared loot stash is a sexy feature. Runic continues to impress me.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Transmuting is so addictive. I wish it was introduced a little earlier to keep your inventory and stash from becoming so cluttered though.

Swig_

I'm playing a Berserker.. I've been putting all my skill points into the Shadow tree. Should I be putting points into other trees? I only have 4 active abilities and 3 passives and I'm almost level 20. Seems like I should have a few more skills than this for how far I am.

I'm just used to most games where you stay in the same tree, but I feel really limited, especially since one of my active abilities has a 45 second cooldown.

spirity

It's worth setting your pet to aggressive if you get the heal spell and put it on him so he heals himself. There'll be occasions where he'll go out of health because he just charges in at the first thing he sees (and inevitably gets mobbed), but by and large its pretty efficient. Working pretty well so far in act 2 anyway.

Iresecia

Neo Member
I finally got the chance to link my accounts today but can't seem to login in game. Is this a common issue? I'm not too concerned, just curious if it's broken or if I'm doing something wrong.

Edit: Nevermind, just read a post a few up about servers being down. Derp.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Anyone. Know how to import your steam friends to torchlight 2. It says my account is linked.

Also I am not able to join most games online. Anyone know why? I was able to join one persons. But that was it.

Blizzard

Banned
Anyone. Know how to import your steam friends to torchlight 2. It says my account is linked.

Also I am not able to join most games online. Anyone know why? I was able to join one persons. But that was it.
You have to set your Steam profile to public so that it can import your friends...except it's broken at the moment, apparently. As of an hour or so ago new people couldn't link their Steam accounts again so that's broken too.

Enjoying the game but fuck it hurts my eyes to look at, there's just something really blurry and unclear about it.
Try turning bloom and edge lighting off in settings.

Recent negatives:

The loot seems kind of crappy so far up to level 10...there are occasionally decent guns, but I get a lot of armor that's almost the same, or really bad guns. I guess I gradually upgrade stuff so that's good. I got another battle with effects that made framerate suddenly jump down to 20-30 even though I have settings turned down.

Targeting enemies can be hard and I keep ending up standing still in an enemy's face since immobilize made them untargetable, or my mouse cursor moved off one.

Recent positives:

I can send my pet to sell a lot of the crap I pick up, since I keep nearly running out of inventory space.

Fugu

lol.

(not my pic)
This was my least favorite part of Diablo 3 and that alone is putting TL2 head and shoulders above it right now.

Having said that, we'll see if these issues that I'm having (why are so many of my attacks doing 1 damage, why does entangle not work against targets moving at any speed, why are my skills bugged, etc.) add up to something big down the line.

Yup lol hit boxes in d3 were fucking hot garbage
I still can't believe it was an intentional design decision.

antitrop

Even though I loved Diablo III, it's impossible to disagree that the hitboxes in the game were anything short of "fucking retarded", "wat", and "Oh, come on, that was bullshit! There's no fucking way! HE WASN'T EVEN CLOSE TO ME!".

TheExodu5

Banned
One thing I love in this game is that when a big melee enemy is attacking you with a slow weapon attack, you can actually run away and the swing will miss you. Couldn't do that in D3...you'd be halfway across the screen and the melee attacks would still hit you.

You can actually kite as melee in TL2, which is awesome.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
How many hours do you all have played now :D I'm sitting on 15 :lol game is so addicting

Under 10, but I'm trying to stay at the same level as some other friends. It's hard, though, to restrain myself. :(

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
The only issue I've had with the combat is the targeting. Shift+clicking will solve most of my problems, but it still has the same problem as in Torchlight 1. If I click on an enemy and hold the attack button, I'm stuck to him unless I click again. I have to click away from the enemy so I can hold the button down and swing in different directions to hit other enemies. I haven't died because of it, but it's still annoying.

scy

This was my least favorite part of Diablo 3 and that alone is putting TL2 head and shoulders above it right now.

Having said that, we'll see if these issues that I'm having (why are so many of my attacks doing 1 damage, why does entangle not work against targets moving at any speed, why are my skills bugged, etc.) add up to something big down the line.

Purple damage text (1 damage) basically indicates a glancing blow. More or less, upgrade your weapons, you're not doing enough damage to overcome their mitigation.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
You have to set your Steam profile to public so that it can import your friends...except it's broken at the moment, apparently. As of an hour or so ago new people couldn't link their Steam accounts again so that's broken too.

Try turning bloom and edge lighting off in settings.
thanks blizz.

i have another question. i am person who likes to max skills out. is it possible to max out every skill in one tree?

Fugu

Purple damage text (1 damage) basically indicates a glancing blow. More or less, upgrade your weapons, you're not doing enough damage to overcome their mitigation.
If I had to guess, I would say that about 60% of my attacks are doing 1 damage. My weapon's required level is only one level below mine, however, so I'm not really sure how I could even go about upgrading my weapon.

I assumed that it was a byproduct of playing on Elite, but it's a little silly.

spirity

thanks blizz.

i have another question. i am person who likes to max skills out. is it possible to max out every skill in one tree?

Yep, but only if you get max fame. 100 skill points from leveling, and 50 more are gained from fame. 150 in total, which would fill one of your three trees, just.

Blizzard

Banned
thanks blizz.

I just looked at a tree and it looked like it would take 150 points...if max level is 100 then you'd have 50 left over, which you might be able to use fame skill points for. I don't know the max fame limit. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Also some of the music is a little annoying to me when it gets dissonant, but I really like the low electric guitar piece.

scy

If I had to guess, I would say that about 60% of my attacks are doing 1 damage. My weapon's required level is only one level below mine, however, so I'm not really sure how I could even go about upgrading my weapon.

I assumed that it was a byproduct of playing on Elite, but it's a little silly.

What's the actual damage on it? I'm on Elite as well and I'd say I'm down to around 10% of my swings, if that high, are purple text glancing blows. This is at a low level (~12) on a low STR Embermage.

Edit: 25-30, 32-47 for Weapons. -5 Armor/hit on a Claw weapon for my off-hand to help bypass Armor.

Kalnos

Banned
Reminder if you're still having problems and want to use LAN:

Hamachi is working for me and my mates. Network and Sharing center -> Change adapter settings -> hamachi -properties -> tcp 4 -> advanced Metric : Default 9000 -> set to 1

I just looked at a tree and it looked like it would take 150 points...if max level is 100 then you'd have 50 left over, which you might be able to use fame skill points for. I don't know the max fame limit. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Also some of the music is a little annoying to me when it gets dissonant, but I really like the low electric guitar piece.

Do you gain anything by just sticking to one tree? I like to mix and match.

Top Bottom