• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

antitrop

I don't really like any of the spells either. There's not much to choose from and none of them seem particularly flashy like skills in Diablo 3. I LOVE electrocute in D3, few games get lightning art to look awesome but that spell looks crazy good in D3. I wish there was a similar skill here. None of the lightning skills in this game are very cool actually =/.

I wish there were more skills for ALL classes actually. I really feel there isn't much to choose from.
I agree 100%. I would recommend anyone playing Torchlight II to stay away from the Spellcasting class (whatever the hell its name is). It's rather lame.

But I still am loving my experience with this game overall, it's pretty great despite a ton of flaws. So I'd say it's exactly like Diablo III in that aspect. Great, flawed game.

The $20 price point makes it an easy recommendation and a must-buy, though.

oneils

Is there a way to turn off camera shake? Well, at least thats what it feels like. Moving around the terrain makes the camera bump around. Drives me crazy. I'm a wuss, I guess.

CRS

My entire character is dressed in almost all rare loot. Great feeling.

I'll probably spend the rest of today on Torchlight and not touch it tomorrow for school work unless I finish early (never gonna happen).

I agree 100%. I would recommend anyone playing Torchlight II to stay away from the Spellcasting class (whatever the hell its name is). It's rather lame.

But I still am loving my experience with this game overall, it's pretty great despite a ton of flaws. So I'd say it's exactly like Diablo III in that aspect. Great, flawed game.

The $20 price point makes it an easy recommendation and a must-buy, though.

The Embermage? Having a blast with it.

Try out dual-wielding wands and put points into Wand Chaos - elemental disturbances all over the place. In this video I only have like 4 points put into WC, but putting more points to increase the chances with every hit and this is going to be awesome mid to end game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKAdpgzlEek

CRS

man playing vet and i am getting my ass handed to me. shit is hard.

I started off on Veteran and I'm really glad I did. Just the right amount of difficulty and when it gets a little difficult, I'll find a nice item that'll give me just the push I needed to beat the mobs.

Seriously, I love this game.

Try out dual-wielding wands and put points into Wand Chaos - elemental disturbances all over the place. In this video I only have like 4 points put into WC, but putting more points to increase the chances with every hit and this is going to be awesome mid to end game:

Wand Chaos is amazing. Casting random Meteors at low levels is awesome.

scy

The Wizard is very poorly designed. It's Charge or bust.

Goes from weak, slow, and fragile to ungodly killing machine of mass destruction with a progress bar. Not much too it.

On the bright side, Hailstorm + Thunder Locus + Frost Phase over and over is kind of funny with Charge going. It is kind of a shame that, on Elite, my fights are basically hit-and-run + Icy Blast to get max Charge and then spam crazy for 12s. Might get better with more skills (or if I went something besides primary Frost) but oh well.

Did the first Story Quest and got to ~Level 15. Think I'll give another class or two a try for now.

Also, kind of a shame that Elite isn't all that hard :( Some Unique enemies took awhile to kite down but it was still just Hailstorm drops over-and-over until I eventually won.

I don't really like any of the spells either. There's not much to choose from and none of them seem particularly flashy like skills in Diablo 3. I LOVE electrocute in D3, few games get lightning art to look awesome but that spell looks crazy good in D3. I wish there was a similar skill here. None of the lightning skills in this game are very cool actually =/.

I wish there were more skills for ALL classes actually. I really feel there isn't much to choose from.

It's a shame that none of the Frost spells sound flashy :(

I was going to go a Frost/Storm Staff build. I decided I dislike Staff and opted for Wands instead eventually. Should be good times :x

rybrad

Anyone know how a fix for the issue with the Runic site saying a game is already registered to another account? My buddy is trying to get his setup so we can play but it keeps giving him that message. I saw some people posting about the same thing on the Runic forums but nothing much of use there.

Anyone know how a fix for the issue with the Runic site saying a game is already registered to another account? My buddy is trying to get his setup so we can play but it keeps giving him that message. I saw some people posting about the same thing on the Runic forums but nothing much of use there.

Just be glad you can even get that far into the registration.

Just started and played with blazingdarkness. for about 1.2 hours. got 2 orange weapons and 1 socketed gem woot. i went with embermage. still keep dying. still no armor lol. most of the drops have been stuff higher lvl or not for me wtf.

C2A7A4BFC729627B7A49337C2945104A96A43DFB

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Argh, still getting Error 37 when I try to link my steam.

it was up this morning. Guess you missed it. :(

Just started and played with blazingdarkness. for about 1.2 hours. got 2 orange weapons and 1 socketed gem woot. i went with embermage. still keep dying. still no armor lol. most of the drops have been stuff higher lvl or not for me wtf.

I assume that's on purpose, so you have something cool to look forward to.

the reason I like the progression system in torchlight 2 is the flexibility. there aren't a thousand skills to choose from, but the tier bonuses mean that you can tailor your play style around your choices, as well as having skills which are largely situational abilities that still remain useful throughout the game because they scale with level.

then there's the huge number of different stats on gear, and gems of course. something which seems quite minor can make a big difference over the course of the entire campaign, because you begin to evolve your play style around it. add in enchanting and the fact that you can swap gems in and out, and you can design a wide range of gear sets for different circumstances.

the way the attribute points are designed is pretty ingenious too. someone was wondering about why strength and not dexterity affects ranged weapon damage earlier in the thread, I think it's just so that there isn't a single completely useless attribute for any character. they all use mana, have hp, gain white damage from strength and crit more with dex.

and of course there's spell scrolls. I found one a little while ago which increases my resistance to movement impairing effects by 25% passively. again, that's a really clever and flexible way to give players more ways to customise their build so it's truly their own.

even pets are hugely influential to your build and play style, both their load-out and how you choose to use them. if you load your pet up with heavy armour and offensive spells, then leave it on aggressive, you have a fairly competent pocket tank. load it up with buffs and heals, then put it on passive, and you have a little support unit following you around and looking adorable.

so yeah, I like it quite a lot.

scy

On the subject of Outlander, what's the early consensus so far for a defensive skill? Blade Pact for the zone slow/debuff? Rune Vault for the escape and blind? Fuck it, blowthingsupfaster?

elite 4 life bros

Only way to play
if you want some difficulty
!

Fugu

Aaaand then the game spawned an alpha bat in a wall. What's great about this is it just KEEPS SPAWNING NEW BATS.

Carm

Well, I think I'm done until they bring this game out of beta. Just lost all my progress today because of some Steam cloud bug. This plus all the performance issues I and many others are having, no excuses.

Umi88

Uhm.. Will have yo try out the embermage with chaos wand.. had some fun with a berseker & an axe that has 2-5% chance of casting meteor , surely it will be even funnier with embermage & wands

VariantX

took me 20-25 minutes but was finally able to register my game for online play...ready to do some co-op looting this weekend hopefully!

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Surprise, surprise. Found a bug with the Embermage.

Normally, you're only supposed to cast Burning Pillars once. It has a cooldown that lasts longer the spell is active. However, as you can see, I got it to cast twice.

After trying to replicate it, I figured out the bug is actually with Frost Phase. Casting Frost Phase immediately after the Burning Pillars hit causes you to cast Burning Pillars a second time. They all indeed deal damage, so it's not a strange ghost copy. I think it still costs mana the second time, but my mana was regenerating too quick to tell. I know the trick also works with Frost Wave and Thunderbolts, but there's no reason to do it since those spells have no cooldown. I bet it works with a few other spells, but I don't have the gold to test all the ones I have unlocked.

(I tried it in several different zones and removing different pieces of gear, and it still worked. So I'm almost certain Frost Phase is the culprit.)

DryvBy

So, is there a way to change my difficulty? Normal is not a challenge. I'm fighting level 10s with no problem and I'm level 7.

Miletius

I died to a phase portal
that popped about a million spiders after I killed some cultist looking dudes.
Those things are dangerous, I don't recommend going in them on HC.

Time to reroll. I might go sword and board or long range engy.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So hard to plan out a long-term build. I hope I have enough skill points for what I want...

Sober

So my chance to fumble is 21%, and my attack speed is so high that it happens a lot.
On that note, is there a way to decrease your fumble chance? I know putting points into DEX helps when you do fumble but 21% seems like quite a lot.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
anyone have any Active skill suggestions for a 2hander engineer? Is the first fire hammer skill worthwhile to upgrade?
Yeah, I'm not sure. When I work up a bit of charge it's beasting the shit out of bosses and it doesn't even have many points, so I don't know if I'd need to put any more into it or if I should save the points for other things instead.

On that note, is there a way to decrease your fumble chance? I know putting points into DEX helps when you do fumble but 21% seems like quite a lot.
THIS SO MUCH. Anyone? The game tells you jack shit about these things. You can lower the penalty for it but 1 in 5 swings seems pretty damn high.

VandalD

Is there a spell vendor anywhere?
Eventually there is an NPC that sells rare items, and sometimes has a few spells. That's all I've found up to the beginning of act 3 so far.

Glad I went with Veteran. I didn't want to slog through the game on Elite my first time through, and Veteran isn't a pushover at all in act 2 and beyond. I'm going with an Ember Mage that has Hailstorm, Thunder Locus, and Prismatic Bolts. I put one point in each of the elemental Brand passives, and Prismatic Bolts just absolutely wrecks shit. Now putting points into Immolation Aura for the eventual damage reduction, and Elemental Boon for the mana regen. Gotta find more summons for the pet. Summon skeleton is working out well. Pet has turned into a ridiculously good tank with life leech.

I love this game.
Any idea if there are +skill affix mods in this game?
None. The only +skills that exist are possibly adding skills that no class would previously have access to.

Kalnos

Banned
This may have been posted already, but here is how to reset your talents/skills:

Find the savegame folder (Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\save) and edit the settings.txt. Find the line with CONSOLE :0 and change that to 1. Then when in-game, you can open the console with Insert-key and type 'resetskills' to reset your skills.

Just close Torchlight before you edit the save file.

Top Bottom