• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Orlandu84

I was a big fan of Torchlight, but I waited till tonight to pick up Torchlight 2. Why did I wait?! The gameplay was solid, the environments were varied, and the loot was enticing. Everything that I wanted in an action rpg is here. That is not to say that the game is perfect: I think that the UI could be improved and combat could be tweaked. Nonetheless, it's a complete package as it is, and I cannot wait to see the mods for this game:)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I hope the good equipment I get later looks cool.

I went from this:
NOczF.jpg

To this:
W9bCo.jpg

*shakes head* I'm trying to be an engineer here!

antitrop

I have to mention, last night we were having a discussion in this OT about the music in Torchlight and I said I was rather indifferent to it, for at least the first 6 hours or so. I stand by that, the music in the first Act or II didn't impress me, but I have to admit the music about 11 hours or so, wherever I am in the game gets much, much better.

I just went through a dungeon where the music was very reminiscent of the Zerg theme in StarCraft: Brood War, in a great way. The music does get very interesting and good the farther in this game gets, even though it starts off rather forgettable. Some parts are better than others.

Dice

That pet feature is awesome! No more TPing back to get some health pots or scrolls.
I would venture to say it is the very best thing about the game. The stupid track back to sell shit you pick up is a major fault across multiple RPG-based genres that should have been done away with years ago.

Kalnos

Banned
This will only erase the stats of the character that you're currently playing?

Not the stats, the talent tree points, but it should only do it to that character yep.

EDIT: Do NOT type 'resetstats' because that doesn't appear to give you the option to put them back in! Only do a 'resetskills'. If you did a 'resetstats' you can get your stats back by typing statpoints <count> where count is the number you need.

Teknoman

Hmm...Berserker sounds fun too.

Are there any measures where you can play with others that are higher level than you? Also is there a GAF group? Playing with GAF has spoiled me and my friends are mostly console/handheld gamers.

VandalD

Are there any measures where you can play with others that are higher level than you?
Not really. Would be neat if higher level people could downlevel to you and get a little bit of fame per kill instead of XP, so you don't get all your XP stolen away, and they get a little something out of being there, at least till fame cap.

This game is beautiful on 2880x1800 (if I remember correctly) on a Retina Macbook Pro.. runs like a dream too. It just makes the Steam Overlay really tiny!

Am I almost done with Act 1? I'm collecting those Amber keys.

Not really. Would be neat if higher level people could downlevel to you and get a little bit of fame per kill instead of XP, so you don't get all your XP stolen away, and they get a little something out of being there, at least till fame cap.

XP isn't shared online?

VandalD

XP isn't shared online?
It is shared, but I'd imagine a level 40 or so joining up with a level 2 or something would kill the amount of XP a level 2 would get if they were in the same area. That's how these games tend to work, to discourage level rushing. I actually don't know if it works like that in this game.

Finally got around to playing this, played a little over an hour. I haven't gotten the loot fever yet, but I know it's gonna start setting in real soon...

Question: I'm playing as an Engineer, but very early I found a cannon and a shotgunne, and I really liked how they felt and looked so I've been pretty much ignoring any weapon that isn't one of those. Is this a bad way to play this class? Should I be just using whatever the best weapon I have is no matter what the type is?

Dice

Well I've been ditching everything but two-handers and it had been fine so far. I think if you don't pick a specific way you want to play, you'll have a hard time deciding that skills to invest in. I just figured out all the skills I want for sure and it came out to 150 points to max them all, and that's the max you can get. If I tried to vary my play style to include guns or shield techniques, I'd start spreading myself thin.

Story time:

So I'm in this dungeon, just looking through my items, deciding what I'll send to town with my pet, considering where to put my ability points, etc. All of the sudden the MOTHERFUCKING BOSS OF THE DUNGEON STROLLS ON UP WITH HIS POSSE. I mean, I was on the basement level of the dungeon, but it's pretty big. I didn't explect him to be making patrols, you know? It's like a minion spotted me and went to report the hero presence. It was awesome.

zulux21

Finally got around to playing this, played a little over an hour. I haven't gotten the loot fever yet, but I know it's gonna start setting in real soon...

Question: I'm playing as an Engineer, but very early I found a cannon and a shotgunne, and I really liked how they felt and looked so I've been pretty much ignoring any weapon that isn't one of those. Is this a bad way to play this class? Should I be just using whatever the best weapon I have is no matter what the type is?

there are skills that only work for cannons for the engineer... so it's a perfectly valid way to play the class :p

IMO, there isn't a bad way to play any class. What's great is that you're given a lot of freedom and choices as to how you want to augment your stats and skills to suit your playstyle. I say you experiment to see what's most effective/fun for you.

The only thing I don't like is that we can't fully respec, so I somewhat contradicted myself there, didn't I? :p

antitrop

ROFL. Just beat the game on Normal at Level 46, 12 hours.

That was probably one of the most "Oh, it's over?" anti-climactic endings and final bosses ever.
I didn't even know it was the final boss when I was fighting him.

I mean, I didn't expect much, but that was pretty lame.

VandalD

While I like that we have any option to try out a skill before absolutely committing to it, I'd have to say that this does not do enough to tell me whether I'd want to keep using a skill. When making a build, you need to take all options into account, and having abilities locked out until level 42 is counter to that point. I've put 7 points into Prismatic Bolt - what if I like Shocking Orb? I don't really have a choice here if I want to optimize my points - I'm going to max Prismatic Bolt whether I like another skill or not. It's either that, or be stuck on 1-pointers for the majority of the game.

I might just be a little irritated that I have a point stuck in Death's Bounty
(useless, takes too much time to cast, aoe too small, better to just be prepared and have potions)
because after trying it I forgot to unspec it. Oh well. Still love the game.

TheExodu5

Banned
I really hope going sword and board engineer pays off. It's already really tough early on on Elite difficulty. Sometimes I just switch to my shotgun since fighting at range is so much easier.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, I think I'm done until they bring this game out of beta. Just lost all my progress today because of some Steam cloud bug. This plus all the performance issues I and many others are having, no excuses.
The game uses cloud saves? The save file is in the My Documents folder, unless there's some Steam thing that overwrites it that I'm not aware of. I backed up the Torchlight 2 folder from the My Documents folder so hopefully that saves my progress if my save gets deleted.

As level 14 Outlander on Veteran, I've only died twice, but on the last big fight of the first story quest to defeat
some guy next to the water guardian
I had to use like 15 potions.

I think both of my deaths have been in optional dungeons. I tend to do okay until my pet gets swamped or someone spawns 50 skeletons to kill my framerate, or a bunch of spellcaster enemies so I can't see where the damaging ghosts are coming from very clearly. :(

Dice said:
Story time:

So I'm in this dungeon, just looking through my items, deciding what I'll send to town with my pet, considering where to put my ability points, etc. All of the sudden the MOTHERFUCKING BOSS OF THE DUNGEON STROLLS ON UP WITH HIS POSSE. I mean, I was on the basement level of the dungeon, but it's pretty big. I didn't explect him to be making patrols, you know? It's like a minion spotted me and went to report the hero presence. It was awesome.
This happened to me somewhere too. I was sitting there going through my inventory, trying to swap in a new main weapon, and suddenly I guess the outlying enemies spotted me and some huge enemy came running over. I had to panic and run away from the horde until I could get my weapon set up again.

zulux21

The game uses cloud saves? The save file is in the My Documents folder, unless there's some Steam thing that overwrites it that I'm not aware of. I backed up the Torchlight 2 folder from the My Documents folder so hopefully that saves my progress if my save gets deleted.

As level 14 Outlander on Veteran, I've only died twice, but on the last big fight of the first story quest to defeat
some guy next to the water guardian
I had to use like 15 potions.

I think both of my deaths have been in optional dungeons. I tend to do okay until my pet gets swamped or someone spawns 50 skeletons to kill my framerate, or a bunch of spellcaster enemies so I can't see where the damaging ghosts are coming from very clearly. :(

it's saved both locally and on steam cloud... there seems to be a bug where it's not saving when you are quitting from time to time... if you don't pay attention when you launch the game when it says HEY YOUR SAVE FILES ARE DIFFERENT and click load from steam cloud instead of load locally you lose your progress. It isnt a bad idea to back up your save files in case you misclick.

Blizzard

Banned
it's saved both locally and on steam cloud... there seems to be a bug where it's not saving when you are quitting from time to time... if you don't pay attention when you launch the game when it says HEY YOUR SAVE FILES ARE DIFFERENT and click load from steam cloud instead of load locally you lose your progress. It isnt a bad idea to back up your save files in case you misclick.
So the "correct" choice there is to load the local version, right?

antitrop

Installing now, this gonna be gooooood.
It is, but keep your expectations in check. It's not the second coming of Diablo, or even the third rather.

Probably the best budget game ever made, though. It's drastically, worlds even, better than the first Torchlight, but it's still rather shallow. Quests are forgettable and lame, bosses are forgettable and lame, the loot is cool, the music at the end of the game is good, the art style and graphics are good, the story is non-existant (but unnecessary in this genre, so who really cares), and the skills are lame at least for the Embermage only class I played.

Worth every penny of the $20, though. I'll be damned if it's not addictive, but after 13 hours and beating the game once I really have zero interest in playing any more of it, but it was a pretty awesome 13 hours. I don't know of any other games I've ever bought at release for that cheap and played for 13 hours over the course of 1 1/2 days.

Blizzard

Banned
Freakin cave full of spiders, and then I made the bad decision to transform my pet into a spider...which is seems the same color as some of the enemy spiders.

I need a flamethrower.

Side note, if anyone likes outlander, I recommend picking up Lara Croft: Guardian of Light. It doesn't have varied random loot, but you find treasures, solve puzzles, it has co-op, and a bunch of different weapons if I recall correctly. The overhead dungeon view is kind of like Torchlight.

Teknoman

I need to stop playing the demo. Putting way too much into it lol. Early, but think they'll have expansion packs? Also kinda wish there were some sort of lore entries or some guy to tell you more about the enemies.

Ceebs

I had this happen to my BL2 save and I clicked the cloud files for some reason. I have been angry at that game and have not played in a few days because of it.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I didn't bother checking my GPU usage until now, but I'm getting 12% when the game is averaging 50fps with dips. Anyone else getting low usage?

My biggest gripe with T2 atm is that sometimes I get rare/legendary loot I can't use =(

like, its limited to engineer for instance. Had this happen 5+ times, and only once for Berserker - no Outlander/Embermage only drops so far (about 7 hours in)

and the difficulty is awesome! I'm on normal, and if I get lazy around my level (30) I die =)

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
My level 39 Embermage at the end of Act 2.

embermage-endofact2-lhmr3m.png

The first half of Act 2 was great, but the second half dragged on. The overworld in the second half wasn't very interesting, just dirt and rock (although the color scheme was nice). And the dungeons really needed more variety. Too many of them were just the overworld, but underground. There was a pretty cool one with huge ass chains everywhere and another one with giant tentacles coming out of the ground, so it wasn't a total loss.

I just hit the Act 3 base, and it looks very promising to me. I'm hoping the game will end on a strong note with the world design.

I'm having an awesome time with this so far. They did an amazing job with the game. So far I've been playing an Engineer with a cannon and he's a ton of fun.

Likewise experience here, only I've been championing an embermage with a pretty awesome ferret dude at my side. I hadn't exposed myself to this game prior to launch since I didn't want to be disappointed if a delay came up again, but now that I'm playing it I can't help but absolutely adore the art-style. Sometimes I play with the camera completely zoomed in so I can admire it all.

Since release, has anyone beaten the game yet, sidequests and all? Just wanting to ball park the amount of content in the campaign.

Valnen

I didn't bother checking my GPU usage until now, but I'm getting 12% when the game is averaging 50fps with dips. Anyone else getting low usage?

The game only seems to actually use 1 core on my processor. If it used 2 or even 4 I'm sure performance would be better.

Blizzard

Banned
Are there only three acts in the game? Still, I guess if I make it through a 12-hour game it's an accomplishment for me. :p

On Veteran I just died 2-3 times in a single phase portal with a bunch of nether beasts. I'm feeling kind of like dual-wield or 2-handed weapons aren't very viable with the outlander, since the game has so many swarms of mobs that you need the shotgun's control.

Sajjaja

Are there only three acts in the game? Still, I guess if I make it through a 12-hour game it's an accomplishment for me. :p

On Veteran I just died 2-3 times in a single phase portal with a bunch of nether beasts. I'm feeling kind of like dual-wield or 2-handed weapons aren't very viable with the outlander, since the game has so many swarms of mobs that you need the shotgun's control.

4 acts. And I'm managing elite just fine with my outlander. Using a bow as a primary and glaive to deal with swarms.

Morokh

you can have two sets of weapons equipped and switch between the two for moments like this.

4 acts. And I'm managing elite just fine with my outlander. Using a bow as a primary and glaive to deal with swarms.
Isn't it 3 acts and the fourth one is
the Map room ?

Top Bottom