• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Blizzard

Banned
you can have two sets of weapons equipped and switch between the two for moments like this.
Right, and I do, but it seems like to me that most difficult fights involve a large boss that calls so many minions that you need the shotgun spread to help clear.

Also, is there any way to stop your pet from being suicidal? It's set to defensive and I think it has more health and armor than I do, but it always seems to charge forward into the middle of enemy swarms. If I set it to passive will it be safer but still occasionally attack?

Edgeward

Played the demo a bit and liked it. Are areas not randomized? I started as a Outlander and then Zerker and the layouts were the same. Not sure about dungeons. Only thing different was the soldier under attack that you can help save appeared in different locations.

I got excited thinking the Zerker had a tree that a transformation tree like a druid but nope. =(

Ashodin

Played the demo a bit and liked it. Are areas not randomized? I started as a Outlander and then Zerker and the layouts was the same. Not sure about dungeons. Only thing different was the soldier under attack that you can help save appeared in different locations.

I got excited thinking the Zerker had a tree that a transformation tree like a druid but nope. =(

I think the beginning is not as randomized to get you used to the game. Then everything after is totally randomized.

inm8num2

I absolutely love teh demo. In fact, I haven't completed it yet. About 2 hours in, level 10, completed 3 or 4 quests. I forgot I was playing a demo and was so immersed. How much more is there before the demo halts?

DocStar

Neo Member
I'm planing on buying this game today and install it via Boot Camp. But, will my crappy Macbook Pro run this game?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2,26 GHz
GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400m (256 MB)
RAM: 8 Gig DDR3 1067 MHz

Help, GAF!

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I'm planing on buying this game today and install it via Boot Camp. But, will my crappy Macbook Pro run this game?

Help, GAF!

You'll need to turn some settings down, but you can run it. Torchlight II is very well optimized.

Shoogoo

After trying all 4 classes for over 4 hours each, my fav are Outlander and Embermage. Zerker is fun too.

Not sure about engi, do you guys like him? What skills/builds are fun?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Finally got to play with some friends. Man, this fucking game.
ibhHmag5MPniNU.gif

I'm still unsure where to be putting points as an Outlander though. I thought there'd be a few key, obvious talents to go for, but I've largely been saving skill points instead, not wanting to spend on anything I wasn't 100% positive about. Like, there seems to be a lot of multi-hit abilities, and I'm not really sure how many of those I'll really need. Kind of confused!

VandalD

Ooh. Found an Easter egg secret thing.

More specific location:
After the boss in Scrapworks.
What it is:
Well, it's clap trap. Sadly, you cannot kill him. He does give you a sweet socketable called Claptrap's Bolt, though.

alazz

Just make sure your framerate is solid (i.e. 60) before big fights, since it can jump down quite suddenly.

My framerate drops have been getting more frequent. I didn't encounter any until today, and it seems like the more time I put into the game the more often they happen. should I crank down the settings? I've got a pretty beastly machine capable of maxing out BF3 and TW2 at lowest the 50fps. Hopefully a patch optimizes it further, because as a berserker those framerate drops are deadly.

I've been dying annoyingly often in Icedeep Caverns. I got through the first 90-odd-percent of Floor 1 but now the difficulty spiked and I've got huge groups of bats mixed with the ice breathing things and it's rough, especially with the framerate drops.

Ashodin

Just beat second
temple boss

LOVE the game so much. I am enjoying Engineer now that I feel like I have a decent combo now. Holy FUCK is Onslaught good. Seriously. Leap in, Savage Stomp, hack hack hack, stomp stomp stomp, get five max charges, pop absorb shield, then unload every charge that comes into Flame Hammer. sogood.gif

FGMPR

Banned
it's saved both locally and on steam cloud... there seems to be a bug where it's not saving when you are quitting from time to time... if you don't pay attention when you launch the game when it says HEY YOUR SAVE FILES ARE DIFFERENT and click load from steam cloud instead of load locally you lose your progress. It isnt a bad idea to back up your save files in case you misclick.

I'm at this stage now. The only problem is that I don't get the choice to load locally. Only load from the cloud or cancel. Is there a way to sync the two manually?

edit: Figured it out. Exit steam and re-start.

Neki

Not sure what to level up on my Embermage, I already got 5 points into prismatic bolt, but I have no idea what skills are good, and I hate that I can't respec my skill points. :(

Sanctuary

While I like that we have any option to try out a skill before absolutely committing to it, I'd have to say that this does not do enough to tell me whether I'd want to keep using a skill. When making a build, you need to take all options into account, and having abilities locked out until level 42 is counter to that point. I've put 7 points into Prismatic Bolt - what if I like Shocking Orb? I don't really have a choice here if I want to optimize my points - I'm going to max Prismatic Bolt whether I like another skill or not. It's either that, or be stuck on 1-pointers for the majority of the game.

I might just be a little irritated that I have a point stuck in Death's Bounty
(useless, takes too much time to cast, aoe too small, better to just be prepared and have potions)
because after trying it I forgot to unspec it. Oh well. Still love the game.

They were going the Diablo 2 route with this. If you dislike any skill, just console reset your skills. It's cheesy, but you don't have to start another character if you're level 40 something and decide you don't like your build.

Anyway, none of the Embermage casting skills seem worth it other than Prismatic Bolt until level 21. In fact, all you really need to do to break everything on Veteran+ is to:

Dump everything you can into Prismatic Bolt
Dump everything you can into Charge Mastery - free casts and +25% damage for 12s. This skill builds up the charge very fast.
Dump every stat point into Focus until level 20 - 25
Put a single point into Ice/Fire/Lit brands and a single point into Frozen Fate

Thunder Locus is "ok". It's kind of like a slower summoning version of Hydra.

Oh, I just read one of your earlier posts. That's pretty much what you did anyway.

Not sure what to level up on my Embermage, I already got 5 points into prismatic bolt, but I have no idea what skills are good, and I hate that I can't respec my skill points. :(

See above.

Morokh

You can have back the 3 last points you spend by talking to the guy in town with turning arrows above his head, it allows you to try out a new skill while not committing to it.

Sanctuary

You can have back the 3 last points you spend by talking to the guy in town with turning arrows above his head, it allows you to try out a new skill while not committing to it.

Or you can just go into your settings in the save folder for Runic games located in your documents and set Console: to 1. Hit the insert key to bring up the console in game and simply type "resetskills" without the quotes.

Ceebs

Getting close to being done with my passives on the Engineer. All I have for active skills at the moment are the healbot, shield bash, and forcefield.

I am wrecking things with the shield and doing the main boss fight in the first area of Act 2 I think I took zero damage the entire fight. Forcefield+Aegis is pretty much unstoppable.

FtHTiny

prismatic bolt is all i do and so far i´m having no trouble at all on elite in act 2. The other lightning skill sucked for me.

This game is all I can think about.. Far surpasses Torchlight. I haven't had as much time to really dig into it the last couple days, but that changes today. It's been a long time since I've felt compelled to live off energy drinks to stay up and play a game.

I'll have the house to myself later, and its game time! Can't wait for the new Torched, TL2 has inspired me to create my first mods.

mr_toa

Quick question - what's the GAF-verdict on TL2's activation/DRM scheme?

Judging from available internet info, not having purchased the game myself yet, the game is either Steam based or Runic's own one-time activation for single player offline gaming. Online requires Steam or a Runic account.

Any real world feedback and insights would be much appreciated :-D

Quick question - what's the GAF-verdict on TL2's activation/DRM scheme?

Judging from available internet info, not having purchased the game myself yet, the game is either Steam based or Runic's own one-time activation for single player offline gaming. Online requires Steam or a Runic account.

Any real world feedback and insights would be much appreciated :-D

The game has the lightest form of DRM that I have seen in pretty much any modern PC game, there only to activate the game from "demo mode" to full copy (since it's the same download) in a Reddit interview posted yesterday, Runic stated that they know the game has probably already been cracked. (It has) they don't want to punish the end consumer, that said, I believe $20.00 is an absolute steal for this product. This team of thirty people have done amazing work! I fully support them so they can continue.

The fact that Max stated candidly, he hopes if people do get the game illegally, they will convert to full buyers should answer you DRM question.

Source:http://www.reddit.com/r/tabled/comments/106nd5/table_iama_we_are_the_runic_games_dev_team/

My ember lightning mage is beasting now in act 2, lvl 23.

My gear is focused on boosting mana regen and have 5 points in charge, don't seem to run out of mana ever now. Put prismatic on left mouse button and switch between locus and an scroll spell I found that gives me 25% elemental damage boost for 6 seconds(12 second cooldown) on the right button.

So hungry, couldn't get myself to stop playing for like 4 hours until now.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Any high level zerkers out there? Curious to see how people are skilling them. I'm only level 14, so I can't comment too much myself. I've been going for a lot of health return and that has helped me quite a bit.

L00P

Fuuuuuck, I've been putting all points into strength and vitality for my engy and realized just now that I need points in focus. Didn't think mana would be a problem but it's getting harder to spam my skills because of higher mana costs. I'm gonna dump all my points into focus from here on out.

I was really looking forward to using the gun bot skill and now that I have it, I'm sort of disappointed. You can't summon more than one of them and the cooldown is very long. Ah well

zulux21

Fuuuuuck, I've been putting all points into strength and vitality for my engy and realized just now that I need points in focus. Didn't think mana would be a problem but it's getting harder to spam my skills because of higher mana costs. I'm gonna dump all my points into focus from here on out.

I was really looking forward to using the gun bot skill and now that I have it, I'm sort of disappointed. You can't summon more than one of them and the cooldown is very long. Ah well

what level are you? I am 17 and don't run out of mana unless I spam every skill as fast as I can lol. Granted heal bot gives me some mana and my gear in general gives me like 5 mana a second. (got one gem that adds 1.1 and a few pieces that add .8 to 1.2 mana)

This is my GOTY 2012, holy shit.

I never liked Diablo games (and especially hated Diablo 3) because I never felt like I was progressing and leveling took an eternity.

But I love the Torchlight games because I always feel like I'm getting stronger and leveling is a constant. I fucking love it.

Gvaz

Banned
Anyone around level 14 want to coop?

I don't know what act I'm in, I defeating a poison spitting zombie and some other boss and I'm now in some spider/snow area.

RankoSD

Help, GAF!

My specs:

CPU: Core 2 Duo @ 2.6 GHz
GPU: GF 8600 GT (256 MB)
RAM: 2 GB DDR2 800MHz

Running everything maxed @ 1680x1050 and the game runs just fine, without any dips, so you should be fine.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist

If you level up your healing bot (if you aren't using one... WHY?) it will also refill your mana. On bosses I have a healing bot first before I even go find the boss, then when I run into them I drop a gun bot and start swinging away until I have a charge and then drop a flame hammer.

The pace for building up the charge is usually slow enough that flame hammer doesn't drain the mana faster than the healing bot can fill it, so I can throw in spider mines, too. If shit is just getting too serious and I have to run away (has only happened in a phase room), the mana refill handles a pretty good rate of spider bots for distance fighting.

Lara Croft is a plumber now? :p
I just follow whatever the best equipment is. This setup has the best armor rating, +30 strength and agility, +10 vitality, +5 focus, and 14hp/sec regen.
I AM UNTOUCHABLE!
It just ended up that she's wearing shorts and a dress over it.

spirity

I need to stop playing the demo. Putting way too much into it lol. Early, but think they'll have expansion packs? Also kinda wish there were some sort of lore entries or some guy to tell you more about the enemies.

They're going to be offering small stuff for free. Things like new map tilesets, possibly new pets, loot, maybe even a new class - dlc sized stuff like that. An expansion is under consideration, I think that'll depend on how well TL2 does.

L00P

what level are you? I am 17 and don't run out of mana unless I spam every skill as fast as I can lol. Granted heal bot gives me some mana and my gear in general gives me like 5 mana a second. (got one gem that adds 1.1 and a few pieces that add .8 to 1.2 mana)

I'm level 27 and my main attack skill are the spider mines. Mana wasn't a problem in earlier levels, but now I can't spam this move without it taking like third of my mana pool each time I use it so I kept chugging on pots like a junkie.

Top Bottom