• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

You guys are lucky as hell - I've only had like 4 unique drops so far and they aren't even for an Embermage >_<

I just beat the
Grand Regent
boss... am I done with Act 1?

So, are all three passives in the 2hander Engineer tree worth it?

And particularly about coup de grace, is that and the stomp skill that stuns enemies a good combo? Is it worth it to invest in both of them? Is the damage to stunned enemies worth it and does the stun work on bosses?

Works great with a cannon. They all have a base stun chance of 35%, then add the bonuses from Heavy Lifting and enemies will be stunned constantly.

Gvaz

Banned
rectify that. Skip DA2 though. For real skip it.

I'm gonna play DA3 for the same reason I played ME3. I need to see how the train crashes. It's gonna be such garbage.

V_Arnold

Btw is it just me, or is Elite difficulty missing Shrines? I have seen dozens of them already on a Veteran Outlander, but exactly 0 on my Embermage (elite). Bullshit.

This game is a lot of fun and my character's appearance has changed more in 2 hours than after 100 hours of Guild Wars 2.

Let me guess! Guardian :D

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Does using the console to respec your skill points mark you character as being modified?

Is it true that modified characters are kept separate from regular ones in multiplayer?

Blizzard

Banned
I feel like some/most of my deaths were in phase beast portals as well, so I can sympathize. Do the portals stay forever so you can come back a few levels later to try to beat them?

Ceebs

S&B engineers: get supercharge. It's so vital for one handed attack damage, at least on Elite.

This is how I have mine speced out so far: Slow and steady, but more actives are sooooon

untitledehz37.png

Jira

Just so people are aware, Uniques are more like Rares in D2/D3 in terms of drop rates and Legendaries are what you'd expect from Unique drop rates. They essentially moved the item rarities down a notch and added a new one at the top.

TheExodu5

Banned
This is how I have mine speced out so far: Slow and steady, but more actives are sooooon

untitledehz37.png

Mostly the same here, though I haven't put any points into forcefield yet. Not sure if I want to or not, since I think I'll be going for Fire Bash, which is another Charge spender.

Also, I recommend a single point in Ember Hammer. Being able to destroy shields instantly is well worth the point, IMO.

Sanctuary

So, I started as a Berserker, and was finding it very boring early on (as well as kind of difficult). I started over two hours later as an Embermage on Veteran and Hardcore. Made it to level 32 before dying. Was my fault though, because I was going on auto pilot. The Embermage is also VERY BORING, because almost all of the skills completely suck. Prismatic Bolt beats literally everything else for the mana, so it's not worth getting anything beyond that other than passives and temporary buffs. At least until level 32 anyway.

People are so infatuated with it right now it seems because it's new, they got burnt really badly on Diablo 3, it has more "exciting" gear (but a lot more trash as well) and more choice. The problem is when said choice doesn't amount to much. At least not what I've seen of it so far. The skills are just not exciting. Maybe I'll find better luck with another class.

anyone have the bug where you're in a party or something... and you don't gain XP? i just noticed that i was stuck at lvl 12 while the other 2 were lvl 15 lol.

Morokh

untitledehz37.png

Pretty much the same but I put less points in Supercharge (just discovered it :D ) but I have 5 in Overload and 1 in Tremor.

It's more offensive, and the tremor debuff makes quite a difference (even more now when supercharge procs)

TheExodu5

Banned
Can you still block with your shield while you have Forcefield up?

I'm also wondering if Coup de Grace is worth it for sword & shield, since you can reliably stun enemies with shield bash.

Yeah...I think I'll do that.

My planned build:

Active:
15/15 Healing Bot
15/15 Shield Bash
15/15 Fire Bash
15/15 Tremor
1/15 Ember Hammer

Passive:
15/15 Supercharge
15/15 Coup de Grace
15/15 Bullwark
15/15 Fire and Spark
15/15 Sword and Board
15/15 Aegis of Fate

huh, I just learned a valuable lesson about cloud saves in this game. when steam says there's a conflict, and you've only been playing singleplayer, make sure you push your local changes rather than grabbing the ones from the cloud. just lost a pair of unique pants and a level because I stupidly assumed my local files might have been corrupted.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Here is where I'm at:
I'm going to eventually get the sledgebot but I'm not sure about the last one, it really depends on how high level play is going for me. If I have to run away too much, I'll use Charge Reconstitution, but I think my defense and healing should be holding up. I'll have a maxed healing bot and my pet can cast healing spells, too. Plus I got Storm Burst specifically so I can escape when I'm swarmed, and it works well.

No need for supercharge because I'm relying on bots so much. I found some nice items and passive spells to boost their damage, so they're dominating. I also realized I can drop a bunch of spider mines ahead of time. They come out 3 at a time but I think they stack to 9 or 12. I'm also putting into Coup de Grace because I can use the foot stomp to stun a bunch of people at once and then the electricity comes down through the whole swing to hit like 5 people. Having electricity on my two-hander already stuns people pretty often so it's a nice setup even without the stomp.

Now what's REALLY ridiculous is that I've got my pet summoning a wall of skeleton archers now. The enemies will treat them like new enemies, so there are distractions everywhere to make sure I can move wherever I need to for good lineups with Flame Hammer. And if it's too scattered? Spider Mines and Gun Bot do great cleanup work. That's all really important, too, because bosses have taken to teleporting and using whirlwinds to keep me at a distance. I still want to get my pet at least one more summon if there is one.

My character looks a bit more coordinated and dignified now:

i6xAzVSnRXoDT.jpg

before I forget, anyone using an nvidia card who wants to use SGSSAA, or other forms of high-quality anti-aliasing, the compatibility flag for Torchlight 2 is:

0x20000245

I'm using 4xSGSSAA right now, and like the built-in AA it still disables itself when you activate a menu panel, but when it's on it looks incredible.

Ceebs

Mostly the same here, though I haven't put any points into forcefield yet. Not sure if I want to or not, since I think I'll be going for Fire Bash, which is another Charge spender.

Also, I recommend a single point in Ember Hammer. Being able to destroy shields instantly is well worth the point, IMO.

Forcefield is just silly with all the defense and dodge I am stacking (I am also doing 2 Vit, 1 Dex 2 Str with some levels all Vit). I think Aegis stacks as well to reduce the damage the FF takes.

A 5 point forcefield will last the entire duration on the act bosses with no sweat. The only time I saw it drop was when I walked into a spot with 5 champions and hordes of magic guys.

TheExodu5

Banned
Forcefield is just silly with all the defense and dodge I am stacking (I am also doing 2 Vit, 1 Dex 2 Str with some levels all Vit). I think Aegis stacks as well to reduce the damage the FF takes.

A 5 point forcefield will last the entire duration on the act bosses with no sweat. The only time I saw it drop was when I walked into a spot with 5 champions and hordes of magic guys.

I'm playing on Elite, so it would probably be more important here...but I feel like I'm still geared defensively enough that I shouldn't need it.

I'd suggest to go Forcefield + Charge Reconstitution if you don't have any charge spenders, though. Since I have Fire Bash, Aegis seems like a better pick.

Ceebs

Can you still block with your shield while you have Forcefield up?

I'm also wondering if Coup de Grace is worth it for sword & shield, since you can reliably stun enemies with shield bash.

Yeah...I think I'll do that.

My planned build:

Active:
15/15 Healing Bot
15/15 Shield Bash
15/15 Fire Bash
15/15 Tremor
1/15 Ember Hammer

Passive:
15/15 Supercharge
15/15 Coup de Grace
15/15 Bullwark
15/15 Fire and Spark
15/15 Sword and Board
15/15 Aegis of Fate

I read somewhere that Coup de Grace only procs on melee stuns, so none of the AOE stun stuff will work.

TheExodu5

Banned
I read somewhere that Coup de Grace only procs on melee stuns, so none of the AOE stun stuff will work.

It would proc on melee hits. The description says "when you hit a stunned target". It shouldn't care what skill caused the stun. You just need to follow up the stun with a melee attack.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Stupid deceptive phase portal.

I go in and the mission is "Defeat the Troll". Sounds easy right?

Not when there's fire shooting out of what felt like every square inch of the map. Each little hole you see that is surrounded by some stone spouted fire every 2-3 seconds. Trying to kite the boss and every other small enemy while dodging the fire geysers at the same time was ridiculous. Just two or three hits from them could kill me, and they succeeded a few times.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It would proc on melee hits. The description says "when you hit a stunned target". It shouldn't care what skill caused the stun. You just need to follow up the stun with a melee attack.
Yeah, it works with Seismic Slam.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone try Fire Bash yet? It's the only skill I'm unsure about in my build since I haven't seen it yet. Just seems like it must be worth picking up since I'm using a shield and Fire and Spark.

Not too sure about stat distribution either. I hear there are diminishing returns on all stats so it's not going to be obvious.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Anyone else receiving blue screens in this game?

I have never received a blue screen with this video card in other games I have played. Team Fortress 2, Guild Wars 2, Borderlands 2, Tera, Skyrim, etc.

I have:

670 GTX
i5 2500k
8 gigs ram

Torraz

Anyone know what happens if you quit during a story dungeon (and open a TP)?

Does it completely reset, or can you continue from your TP where you left of?

Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, but in the game's main directory there is a music folder with 76 songs in .ogg format. The Steam version also has the ost in the main TL2 folder as well.

Top Bottom