• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Just cleared Act 1 on Elite! Almost level 23 (Engineer)
fun times!

09232012_020040924_zps28e9b665.png

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
*goes to check pet's HP*

peta9r3k.png

The fuck is this? Why is so high? His base HP is 9998, with only one of my rings boosting it by 5%. His armor was already high, and turning him into a crab jacked it up even further. Dude's a goddamn tank.

What really hurts my dignity is his MP being higher than mine (255 vs 239). And I'm a freaking mage. That ain't right.

I am surprised to being saying this since I was a bit underwhelmed by Diablo 3, but I am enjoying this game a hell of a lot more than Borderlands 2 after spending about two hours with each.

Pacing makes all the difference.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
How and when?
They're usually loot. You can teach them to your pet or yourself, up to 4 each. At some point in Act 2, there is someone who will sell some (as well as some better gems and set items). But she has a very limited stock, so don't rely on her having what you want all the time.

Hope to play with you online some time soon.

They're usually loot. You can teach them to your pet or yourself, up to 4 each. At some point in Act 2, there is someone who will sell some (as well as some better gems and set items). But she has a very limited stock, so don't rely on her having what you want all the time.

Cool, thanks. I'm very much looking forward to act 2 and beyond. I can't wait for more loots and challenges. I like how I'm frequently changing out my equipment due to a generous drop table for rares (only got 4 uniques so far, though). I want my Embermage to look badass.

oh god. the Tar Slime Phase Challenge. it's not hard but the spawns D:

Is that the one where they split into thousands of slimes? I want to try that! When is it?

TheExodu5

Banned
This game has a few annoyances: targetting and pathfinding could be a lot better, and the lack of a closed online inrastructure is a huge omission in a loot game, but you know what? This may be one of the best loot games out there. It does so much right.

The loot is probably the best I've seen in any loot game so far (though I haven't played all that much Path of Exile yet). The music is fantastic. The encounters are fun and frantic. The classes and skills so far seem quite interesting, and there seem to be a lot of viable, yet very different builds possible.

Considering I wasn't expecting much at all from Torchlight 2, I am pretty much floored by how good it is.

Online co-op question: is there anyway we can heal our partners? Is there a specific class that can do it?

Engineer has a heal bot that will give out some health/mana regen and armor, and a forcefield that can be applied to all allies.

Gvaz

Banned
All up to date. Not going to bother testing ram. I have played easily 50+ games without any issues with my current hardware. Thanks for the help anyway.

The error is watchdog.sys
sounds like a ram issue bro. " this error can also be caused by the Inter Processor Interrupt (IPI) mechanism, corrupt hardware drivers, registry problem, virus infection and more."

oh god. the Tar Slime Phase Challenge. it's not hard but the spawns D:

I just did that on veteran with my engee buddy (i'm outlander) he died twice lol

so fucking nuts

VandalD

Online co-op question: is there anyway we can heal our partners? Is there a specific class that can do it?
Outlander's Stone Pact looks like a targetable AOE heal pretty much. Embermage has something called Death's Bounty, but it works on killing the affected enemy, and it's generally garbage.

Edit: Oh yeah. Heal All. Usually just give that to my pet.

Having played through this game on an Embermage and finished slightly over level compared to enemies I was fighting, I have to wonder how melee survives long enough to do any damage, even on Veteran. One hit on my mage is bad news, and usually another hit would kill me. That's with 90 vitality and about 250 armor for each type. I stuck to moving around a lot, teleporting, and just keeping my distance in general. All this and I'm using a shield for the block. Unless melee has a hell of a lot of survivability, or a hell of a lot more damage dealing - which, I don't know how. Prismatic Bolts feels way too good - then they seem pretty fucked for the end stretch of the game. If anyone can correct my thoughts with their experience, that'd be great. Going to try it for myself in the meantime.

I play a zerker. I just kill all the little enemies around bosses to gain charge. When it is full, all your attacks become crits. I have skills to gain health and to prolong this state. I can just sit next to a boss for like 10 seconds now and go to town without even needing a heal.

The zerker also has a broken ability that allows you to charge around gaining health and does some damage. Its the get out of jail free card.

Also helps to make your armor have the right type of armor for the zone.

This game has a few annoyances: targetting and pathfinding could be a lot better, and the lack of a closed online inrastructure is a huge omission in a loot game, but you know what? This may be one of the best loot games out there. It does so much right.

The loot is probably the best I've seen in any loot game so far (though I haven't played all that much Path of Exile yet). The music is fantastic. The encounters are fun and frantic. The classes and skills so far seem quite interesting, and there seem to be a lot of viable, yet very different builds possible.

Considering I wasn't expecting much at all from Torchlight 2, I am pretty much floored by how good it is.

Agreed with everything you said. I'd like to touch up on the encounters, which is what makes progression so damn interesting:

It's how there are unique mini bosses frequently amongst the usual fodder, so instead of wading through areas and wrecking everything - occasionally there's a mob boss that'll give you a challenge (with some nice loot, too).

Also, Phase challenges are awesome.

And thanks for the info on online co-op healing, y'all.

Arde5643

Having played through this game on an Embermage and finished slightly over level compared to enemies I was fighting, I have to wonder how melee survives long enough to do any damage, even on Veteran. One hit on my mage is bad news, and usually another hit would kill me. That's with 90 vitality and about 250 armor for each type. I stuck to moving around a lot, teleporting, and just keeping my distance in general. All this and I'm using a shield for the block. Unless melee has a hell of a lot of survivability, or a hell of a lot more damage dealing - which, I don't know how. Prismatic Bolts feels way too good - then they seem pretty fucked for the end stretch of the game. If anyone can correct my thoughts with their experience, that'd be great. Going to try it for myself in the meantime.

Berserker's survival skill works like a really agile vampire - a lot of the main skills and main passives used drain life from the opponent. Their main summon skill even drains life for them. Secondary skills drain armor or resist.
Their vanguard-charge-like skill is the drain health skill and can be used to dodge enemy attacks.
Don't think of Berserkers like fighters, but more like Vanguards in ME3 with the ability to summon and freeze/paralyze/weaken enemies.

Engineers have healbots and skills that really augment their defenses - I'm sure others who've used Engineer can detail more on their tanky survival rate.

Impressive game, I'd say - the differences between each classes are heavily emphasized that playing one class to another feels like a totally different game.

TheExodu5

Banned
Really? I think the Engineer's mechanic is the only remotely interesting one.

It's okay now, since I've decided to go for Overload. :D

Any Engineer try out Fire Bash yet? It doesn't sound like it really makes sense for a shield user...why would you want a 9m range attack? Overload sounds more useful for a shield user from the description.

My friend has the One Eyed Willy achievement.

But uhh, I've been playing for twice as long as him and haven't come across One Eyed Willy. Either he is skipping a lot, or the game randomly generates its quests and I didn't get that one.

Blizzard

Banned
I joined a multiplayer game so there were three of us on Elite (some crazy person picked it). And then one left and I was 1-15 levels under so it was painful for a while. I did gain like 11 levels pretty quick catching up with a completely new character though.

The FPS thing is really an issue. I feel like I have several settings turned down and it still jumps to 30 fps or below when a bunch of enemies or particles suddenly spawn.

One fun thing about starting a new level 1 character and joining level 10-15 people is suddenly getting nice weapons...one I think I picked up and one was traded, so I ended up with double 130-140 damage claws and like 49% execute chance. Of course due to Elite you do like only 40 damage with them, but that's life.

Sajjaja

I joined a multiplayer game so there were three of us on Elite (some crazy person picked it). And then one left and I was 1-15 levels under so it was painful for a while. I did gain like 11 levels pretty quick catching up with a completely new character though.

The FPS thing is really an issue. I feel like I have several settings turned down and it still jumps to 30 fps or below when a bunch of enemies or particles suddenly spawn.

One fun thing about starting a new level 1 character and joining level 10-15 people is suddenly getting nice weapons...one I think I picked up and one was traded, so I ended up with double 130-140 damage claws and like 49% execute chance. Of course due to Elite you do like only 40 damage with them, but that's life.

You're welcome. :D
I'm kidding, you earned them all ;P

Also, thanks for the 2 defense 2 mana cloth shoulders. Really needed those.

Izayoi

Banned
So I bought it off the torchlight website - am I screwed in terms of cloud saving?
Just use Dropbox or something. Not quite as elegant, but it still works.

But uhh, I've been playing for twice as long as him and haven't come across One Eyed Willy. Either he is skipping a lot, or the game randomly generates its quests and I didn't get that one.
It's a random dungeon in the first field of Act 1, I believe. I don't think it shows up on every playthrough.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

One eyed willy is in a level 8 dungeon on the first act, from the ghost boatman

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Level 17 Engineer, finally got my first unique two-handed weapon:

Unique_Equalizer1_zps1df85b57.jpg

But, as an Engie, would you take it over this wrench? I haven't used anything that didn't give the 90% interrupt thus far.

sword_vs_wrench_zps5e516ecf.jpg

I had to scrounge up a ton of strength boosting gear to make that req of 70 lol.

Ceebs

I should have just joined you anyway and rushed you through all of act 1.

Top Bottom