• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I wish the Embermage had more summoning spells, but Astral Ally is enough to keep me quiet. Summon another mage to fight alongside me? Hell yeah. It really needs its tier upgrades so it will last longer though.

Rokal

I highly doubt it is my system. I have over 100 hours in guild wars 2, 100 hours in TF2, many hours in Tera, etc. no BSOD's.

Like Exodu5 said, it's your PC. Being able to play 3 games without Bluescreening doesn't mean that your PC won't have problems handling other games.

To start, update video/sound drivers. RAM Test if it keeps up.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Like Exodu5 said, it's your PC. Being able to play 3 games without Bluescreening doesn't mean that your PC won't have problems handling other games.

To start, update video/sound drivers. RAM Test if it keeps up.

All up to date. Not going to bother testing ram. I have played easily 50+ games without any issues with my current hardware. Thanks for the help anyway.

The error is watchdog.sys

Need some help. I'm about to continue my way through Act II and the next quest I'm doing recommends me to be level 29-30. I'm level 28 right now and thought it'd be a good idea to level up a little before moving on since the last quest was pretty challenging. But I was thinking about it and there is no where I can go to just keep fighting things, is there? I think I've done everything before this quest. Is there anyway I can level up before doing it or do I just have to start it?

Torraz

What's it do? I'm been focusing on the Storm tree: Thunder Locus + Prismatic Bolts + Lightning Brand is boss.

Here, here.

It's a big fireball, with a slight delay before exploding, that also has a nice AoE knockback component. Even at 1 point it wipes out most enemies in 1 shot, and you can do it at range, not like some of the other spells.

TheExodu5

Banned
My god...fighting Eldrayn on Elite. Been going for 10 minutes and have died 5+ times. Out of money. She has 3/4 hp left still. ;_;

Her aoe does 1300 damage, even though I'm speced as a tank. She endlessly spawns minions. I have no idea how you're supposed to do this without killing yourself 100+ times.

Level 48. I have to stop myself.

I also need to stop spending my money on sets. I have full set of the Ironclad stuff. I don't know if it's any good, but I have them all.

Ceebs

Need some help. I'm about to continue my way through Act II and the next quest I'm doing recommends me to be level 29-30. I'm level 28 right now and thought it'd be a good idea to level up a little before moving on since the last quest was pretty challenging. But I was thinking about it and there is no where I can go to just keep fighting things, is there? I think I've done everything before this quest. Is there anyway I can level up before doing it or do I just have to start it?

Go make an online game and put a PW on it and check the reset world box it should respawn everything

So how do you turn on the ability to see damage?

In the options there is a setting for combat text. Set it to verbose if you want everything.

TheExodu5

Banned
This fight is absolutely ridiculous.

So dumb.

Eldrayn takes about 10 minutes of straight dps to kill. On top of that, there are 10 endlessly respawning nether slashers, slowing tentacles, and a host of Eldrayn attacks. This seems way too hard compared to the rest of the game so far.

That feel when all the legendary drops you get are not for your class ;_;

on my ember mage I just took the four pieces of some engineer set that have dropped for me to the transmuter and got him to turn them into a new unique. which was a gun. one of which was already in my shared stash ;_;

my-little-friend.png

sweet gun, though. maybe I'll dual-wield them on my outlander.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Man, the gambler rocks. My first claw, I got a really nice unique.

I love the gear in Act 2. I've always loved the middle eastern aesthetic in fantasy games.

Blizzard

Banned
How do you know when an act ends? Is the area north of the enclave with
spiders everywhere
still the first act? If you play online is it per act or per map, or does it just generate a dungeon? How are quest unlocks and game progress handled in multiplayer?

added a short multiplayer FAQ to the OP, if anyone thinks of anything important to add then I'll update it.

I love the gear in Act 2. I've always loved the middle eastern aesthetic in fantasy games.

so far I'm really impressed with the gear design in general. it's always a risk in these games that if you start to mix and match your pieces across a few sets then you end up looking like a clown, but they seem to have gone to great lengths to make the gear region-specific. and yeah, the hashishin look is particularly appealing.

Sajjaja

How do you know when an act ends? Is the area north of the enclave with
spiders everywhere
still the first act? If you play online is it per act or per map, or does it just generate a dungeon? How are quest unlocks and game progress handled in multiplayer?

Pretty sure acts are seperated by cinematics. I'm pretty sure everyone has their own quest in MP.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'll probably pick this up.

What is the most skillful class to play as? I want to be very active in combat.
Someone told me way back that the tiny percentages on loot and having 15 things on items (To have items be meaningful) was lessened.
The fuck is this shit. All the loot looks the same and you pick best DPS or something with tiny vamp/knockback?

Ceebs

Someone told me way back that the tiny percentages on loot and having 15 things on items (To have items be meaningful) was lessened.
The fuck is this shit. All the loot looks the same and you pick best DPS or something with tiny vamp/knockback?

Berserker looks like it could be the high skill class. The minion stuff for the Outlander is a super high micro sort of build as well with tons of skill juggling if you are into that.

*That was also the first thing I have found with a novel worth of stats.

TheExodu5

Banned

Nah there's more to it than that for sure. For example, elemental damage can synergize with some skills. Weapon speed is very much an issue for a few reasons: armor is flat damage reduction, not percentage based, and some gear pieces or skills can also add static damage to attacks.

Blizzard

Banned
Berserker looks like it could be the high skill class. The minion stuff for the Outlander is a super high micro sort of build as well with tons of skill juggling if you are into that.

*That was also the first thing I have found with a novel worth of stats.
Does the outlander minion stuff actually have micro though? The only one I have is the bat-generating ability, and as far as I know you can't actually control pets like that besides asking them to pick up gold or items for you.

Ceebs

Does the outlander minion stuff actually have micro though? The only one I have is the bat-generating ability, and as far as I know you can't actually control pets like that besides asking them to pick up gold or items for you.

It has a lot of stuff you need to juggle to keep your little army up and going along with the various debuffs to keep them alive. Then add in your actual combat along with it.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx

The Embermage is very combat oriented, but I wouldn't exactly call is skillful. As long as you can avoid getting hit, the main tactic is spam an attack of your choice, preferably ones that build Charge. Put points into Charge Mastery so you'll rarely have to worry about mana.

I still love the class. Just wish there was more to it.

RS4-

I have one on my pet and I don't think it is working. At least they are some that pet can't use but doesn't say which.

I think its skills that are passive or ones that say 0 mana. I gave my pet a spell that costs 0 mana and I never see it used. But I do see it cast the zombie one (10 mana) I gave it.

I tried the engie, just up until the first town and looking through the skill trees, I'm not excited. I may just roll my zerk to 100.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I have one on my pet and I don't think it is working. At least they are some that pet can't use but doesn't say which.

I just tossed a bunch of summoning spells on my pet. It's a great way to have little minions randomly popping without having to do it yourself every minute. He also has a Heal All spell equipped, but I don't how often the AI will use it. At worst, the pet will only activate it when its own health is low.

Decado

Tried the demo and it seemed like fun. Will wait a bit for more patches to come out then play it via LAN with a friend.

My god...fighting Eldrayn on Elite. Been going for 10 minutes and have died 5+ times. Out of money. She has 3/4 hp left still. ;_;

Her aoe does 1300 damage, even though I'm speced as a tank. She endlessly spawns minions. I have no idea how you're supposed to do this without killing yourself 100+ times.

I just did that on Veteran - it was fun and challenging. Took about 4 minutes.

Vid

Arde5643

My god, I'm positively surprised at how fun they made the berserker class. It's like a totally different game compared to playing the Outlander - such a fun fast arcadey style class.

Lots of close calls leading to dying though if you don't get the fuck out when things get hectic.

Yeah I'm thinking maybe I should be playing on Veteran after all. Elite might be more suited to a twinked character.

I'm doing Elite on NG+ since I'm already having a challenging time as it is on Veteran, but the challenge is just about right for me. Every time I've died, it's because I didn't react fast enough to crowds and I'd get gangbanged in a corner pretty badly.

Salsa

Been playing Veteran with 2 other friends and I cant imagine how boring it must be playing on a lower difficulty

fair challenge, never frustrating really

RS4-

Hm, I guess your name does show up differently if you ended up doing the resetstats thing (or any other console codes) when you play online.

ezrarh

Anybody having trouble playing with friends? I'm trying to play with a couple people but it says they're offline even though they're currently in the same game. I can't find their game. Apparently other people are having problems as well.

edit: fixed, apparently it was some syncing issues with steam

VandalD

Having played through this game on an Embermage and finished slightly over level compared to enemies I was fighting, I have to wonder how melee survives long enough to do any damage, even on Veteran. One hit on my mage is bad news, and usually another hit would kill me. That's with 90 vitality and about 250 armor for each type. I stuck to moving around a lot, teleporting, and just keeping my distance in general. All this and I'm using a shield for the block. Unless melee has a hell of a lot of survivability, or a hell of a lot more damage dealing - which, I don't know how. Prismatic Bolts feels way too good - then they seem pretty fucked for the end stretch of the game. If anyone can correct my thoughts with their experience, that'd be great. Going to try it for myself in the meantime.

Top Bottom