• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Blizzard

Banned
I should have just joined you anyway and rushed you through all of act 1.
This is why I didn't want to play co-op with my main character, I don't want other people to rush me through the plot until I have a chance to read stuff. It's okay if I'm behind with a new character since I can level them up, but otherwise if I'm just dead or behind I miss seeing the cool stuff.

Volcynika

This is why I didn't want to play co-op with my main character, I don't want other people to rush me through the plot until I have a chance to read stuff. It's okay if I'm behind with a new character since I can level them up, but otherwise if I'm just dead or behind I miss seeing the cool stuff.

And because you're a nub.

Ceebs

I really need to make a co-op character or something to play with people. I went way past where everyone else is.

TheExodu5

Banned
Holy shit. Coup de Grace triggers with any skill that deals "Weapon Damage". That means Overload triggers it. Seismic Slam + Overload + Coup de Grace. Holy fuck.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
My Embermage at Level 50. I'm think I'm nearing the end of the game.

embermage-nearendofacjwqgj.png

I'd rather have a different helmet for looks, but the boost to my casting speed is nice.

------

Completing the Robot Parts quest is totally worth it. It's hard to finish since the parts are spread across each Act, so you could chicken out like I did and look up where they are. But the reward is great, especially if you played Torchlight 1.
Everyone's favorite singing robot, Trill-Bot 4000, returns and gives you a quest. Each of the rewards is a unique. I ended up choosing a necklace that boosted my Charge rate by 40%.

VandalD

This game gets ridiculous with 3+ people. So much going on at once.
I'm on now if anyone wants to join me at the start of Act 2.
Would join you, but have no one in the beginning of act 2. Unless you want a 50+ Embermage with you, heh.
I'd rather have a different helmet for looks, but the boost to my casting speed is nice.
You can hide it too, if that's better. I've been hiding all the helms.

Sillverrr

I'm loving this game. I'm only a level 15 sword-and-board Engineer, in the Frosted Hills, but over the course of the last few levels something clicked and I've already had more fun than I had during the entirety of Blizzard's recent trainwreck.

Why it succeeds for me is:

(1) I started on Veteran. This difficulty feels perfect - challenging yet fair so far. No having to start on Normal and play through the whole game 3 or 4 times to unlock the better loot. I know the scope* of the game isn't massive, and I probably won't want to play through it that many times on one character. Thank you for not forcing me to.

(2) Loot pinata. Plaything through the actual GAME is rewarding me with drops (i.e. no cheating Auction House). Lots of different colours and stats, making me think about my gear. I have an entire 4-part rare blue set at level 15! It seems so simple, yet this fuels my ambition to forge ahead. What will I get next!? In fact, I can answer that - a unique one-handed Mace that I *just* lack enough points in Focus to equip... 2 more levels and I can wreak havoc!

(3) I can play single player without jumping through hoops.

I do wish there was an option to completely respec without flagging me as a cheater, as my stats are all over the place. Still, I'm able to progress so I'm not going to worry about it on this character.

*What i mean by this is, all these ARPG's are ultimately just one long dungeon crawl. I shouldn't have to play through 100 times or farm bosses/areas if I don't choose to. By constantly throwing awesome drops at me I am being rewarded the first time though, which is making me giddy. Knowing an upgrade is always around the corner gives me an incentive to carry on.

Well done runic.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm loving this game. I'm only a level 15 sword-and-board Engineer, in the Frosted Hills, but over the course of the last few levels something clicked and I've already had more fun than I had during the entirety of Blizzard's recent trainwreck.

Why it succeeds for me is:

(1) I started on Veteran. This difficulty feels perfect - challenging yet fair so far. No having to start on Normal and play through the whole game 3 or 4 times to unlock the better loot. I know the scope of the game isn't massive, and I probably won't want to play through it that many times on one character. Thank you for not forcing me to.

(2) Loot pinata. Plaything through the actual GAME is rewarding me with drops (i.e. no cheating Auction House). Lots of different colours and stats, making me think about my gear. I have an entire 4-part rare blue set at level 15! It seems so simple, yet this fuels my ambition to forge ahead. What will I get next!? In fact, I can answer that - a unique one-handed Mace that I *just* lack enough points in Focus to equip... 2 more levels and I can wreak havoc!

(3) I can play single player without jumping through hoops.

I do wish there was an option to completely respec without flagging me as a cheater, as my stats are all over the place. Still, I'm able to progress so I'm not going to worry about it on this character.

Well done runic.
One note is that if you change your mind early enough, by say level 10-11, it's quick to level another character. I joined two 10-16 level players and got a new character to level 10-11 in maybe an hour or two, just going through the early quests. Also remember that you can store items in your shared stash so other new characters can potentially use them early on if they meet the stat requirements.

epmode

I'd love to have a sandbox level which allows you to test a level 100 character against basic monsters. The respec system isn't very friendly to experimentation.

Asked this before, but not sure if anyone answered. Runic have any plans for official expansion packs?

I don't think any full expansions have been confirmed but they'll be releasing free content updates for sure.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
There is almost no story in TL1 though XD

There was enough of one to be confused if you have no idea what happened. TL2 doesn't bother to mention any of it. You might not even know that the antagonist in TL2 (the Alchemist) was one of the playable classes in TL1.

As a sidenote, I'll be slightly disappointed if the final boss isn't the Alchemist abusing Ember Lance. That would be fucking hilarious.

FtHTiny

Another small small helpful thing i found.
If you make a townportal into the dungeon where you are you can use it infinet amount of times. So you don´t have to spawn at the dungeon entrance for 2k+ gold.
Just spawn in town and use the tp back into it. Way cheaper.

VandalD

I'm on now if anyone wants to join me at the start of Act 2.
Bah! Trade chat was obscuring your talking to me. Nice playing with you, and thanks for the help. Hope you enjoyed the good luck, hehe. Should play again sometime.
If you make a townportal into the dungeon where you are you can use it infinet amount of times. So you don´t have to spawn at the dungeon entrance for 2k+ gold.
Yeah, that's really nice. If you're in multi, someone should always make a portal in the room before a boss. Save so much money doing that.

Damnnnn

I got like 5 uniques in the last part of act 1 by playing with vandald (my lucky charm). That was awesome, haha.

Thanks! Also, Frost Phase = essential - it saves my ass from cornered situations.

is that by design or bug? someone should report/ask this! /trollface.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
is that by design or bug? someone should report/ask this! /trollface.

Probably by design. I went through a 5 floor dungeon a while ago. I would have hated to end up broke and have to trek all the way through the dungeon again. They probably realized it could be abused to get back to the boss quicker, but the option of making it disappear each time was worse overall. It's also probably why portal scrolls are much harder to come by compared to TL1.

alazz

finally beat Act I tonight. The boss was actually pretty easy with my build but I'm probably going to restart because I used the console to respec when I hit a wall a few levels back. That prevents me from joining online games? I have 56.1% Execution chance right now though :D 5 points in Execution passive, probably 20-odd + x% execution on my weapons and a lot of focus. Execution is so much fun, and with Rampage, the chain lightning, and Red Wolf I really plow through mobs.

bounchfx

really liking the game a lot so far. Tried one of each character, main being a 18 outlander. It's really hard to pick a class to play with since I enjoy them all.

Just got done trying the embermage till level 6 and I liked it way more than I expected, wasn't even really going to give it a shot before.

one thing that I don't like is the way the skills are set up. I like the options and I like upgrading, but when everything is */15 I feel like I'm not making an impact in any skill, and the respec person only lets me go back 3! I really wish I could reset all skills, damn. It's also really hard to choose because a lot look really good and I've been jumping within all 3 trees, I feel like I'm screwing up whatever leet-ness I can have at a later level.

can't wait to play more.

oh, and I also am excited to play with the editor, especially if it's easier to use than the other. A game like this could really use the steam mod group support, I hope it has it's own workshop page. Can't wait to make new weapons and armor.

IceMarker

Well, Torchlight 1 had mod support but never really had anything worthwhile made for it, so...

Well even small things like increasing the base movement speed was awesome to have. Just having a bunch of small mods installed at once can improve a game exponentially to your tastes. :D

spk

Not unless there's a way so far undiscovered via transmuting. The only stats you can remove are the ones you've added with enchanting.

So there's really nothing I can do with unneeded/unwanted rares except for selling? Is there an NPC somewhere for transmuting?

VandalD

So there's really nothing I can do with unneeded/unwanted rares except for selling? Is there an NPC somewhere for transmuting?
There's a transmute NPC in the act 2 town and beyond. You can put 4 uniques (orange) in and transmute them to get one random unique. Haven't tried rares (blue).

Luthos

Just got level 21 on my Embermage, and Blazing Pillar is probably my favorite skill so far. Loving it. Especially combined with blink. If I get bumrushed, just blink away and immediately cast pillar. And if I go into overcharge, use force lightning liberally.

Blizzard

Banned
Just a quick Noob question, What key do you press to use your Special Skills? (The one that draws from the mana)
You can click on the squares at the bottom of the screen that correspond to specific keys (1234567890 by default) and set them up to trigger certain spells toward the mouse cursor.

By default I think right click triggers the spell on the right hand side of the screen, and you can have two quickly accessible spells for that button by hitting tab to switch between them. You can switch them out by clicking on the bottom right square or using the , and . keys, something like that. You may be able to click on one of the squares on the left and have your other mouse button set off a different spell if you don't use a weapon at all for some reason.

Level 14 Embermage. Having a lot of fun so far, but normal is pretty easy.

I got a fish that permanently transformed my pet into something else. It can also stun enemies too.
I think a tunnel shark turns a pet into a mole of some sort that has a chance of stunning, but I didn't know there was a permanent variant instead of the 5-15 minute versions.

vanty

Just a quick Noob question, What key do you press to use your Special Skills? (The one that draws from the mana)
From the very start of the game you should have a skill set to right-click, you can see it on the far right side of the bar at the bottom. Once you learn new skills you can set things to the 1-9 at the bottom and use them with a key press, or set other things to the right-click.

Anyone else just get a 300 MB patch? I only installed the game a few hours ago and played straight afterwards, so maybe I'm getting it later than others?

EDIT: Here's the changelist and stuff.

First Patch - Version 1.10.x.x

Hey everybody! It's early early in the morning, but our first post-release patch just went live.
We have a list of other stuff we will be doing in upcoming patches, but we wanted to get one out ASAP to fix some initial issues-

Here's the goods!

STABILITY
*Fixed a potential crash bug when applying affixes and effects in certain circumstances
*Fixed rare crash when turning in quest in the Undercurrents.
*Put in protection against character save file corruption. Corrupted characters will not appear in the list of characters. (And thus can't cause the game to crash on load)

SKILLS
*Fix for Berserker geyser proc showing up as a mappable skill.
*Fix for triggering Shocking Burst and Arc Beam out of range while hitting shift that could cause chain casting.
*'Resist Slow' affix fixed.
*Proc affixes scale better with player level.
*Berserker 'Wolf Shade' now has the (intended) 60 second cooldown applied to all ranks.
*Fix for mistriggering when chaining two skills together when there is an early hit-frame.
*Safety check to stop any looping skills that get stuck in the 'on' state when the character is not performing a skill.
*Fixed bug with 'Poison Burst' procs (they should properly engage at more distant ranges).
*Fix for potential issue when units would queue removed/unavailable skills.
*Fix for having more than 100% reduction to charge decay or a negative flat charge decay.

PERFORMANCE
*Made significant optimizations to particle collisions.

SYSTEMS
*Fix a bug when recalculating the price on objects to make sure the calculation is based on the correct data.
*Fix for bug where rapid clicks could misspend stat points.
*Removed access to console commands in multiplayer games.
*The game's login dialog now correctly allows passwords up to 64 characters long.
*Removed display of other users' IP addresses in multiplayer games.
*Removed Steam Cloud toggle in the settings file (it didn't do anything); the ability to toggle is available in the Steam client.
*Removed logging for achievements to potentially reduce some FPS drops for some users.

LEVELS/SCRIPTING
*Tweaks to various areas to prevent units from getting stuck.
*Changed lootable rocks to be non-colliding as they could occasionally block very narrow corridors.
*Fixes to some level scripting logic in the Frosted Hills.
*Fixed a bug that could cause multiple Tower of the Moon entrances to appear in the world.
*Implemented a few specific boss room pathing fixes.

ACHIEVEMENTS
*Fixed friends list based achievements.
*Spell-learning achievements now don't incorrectly trigger based on other players.

MINOR
*Fixed several typos.
*Improvements to journal tooltips.

Forkball

I think a tunnel shark turns a pet into a mole of some sort that has a chance of stunning, but I didn't know there was a permanent variant instead of the 5-15 minute versions.
Yeah it was called a Giant Tunnel Shark. I was wondering if you could unlock new pets and I guess you can if you get lucky. Get to fishin'!

Luthos

So I saw that transmuter in the Act II town. And I used 4 of my uniques just to see what it did... =( I mean I guess that's neat if you get a bunch of uniques that you can't use to try for something else. But I usually throw those in the shared stash for future characters I make.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I seem to be downoading the 296MB patch again. I'm guessing my TL2 is somewhat corrupt. It kept doing something similar during the preloading stage as well.

Very odd.

VandalD

Been doing a few random maps. Might put up a video of how it works. It's nothing too involved, but it's neat. Random boss at the end of the map is a nice touch.
Don't drink stuff you get from evil witches. I knew that, but I just had to try that sugary goodness.
What's funny is that they (the masked man as well) go on this rant about how stupid you are for having helped them, and how they're now unstoppable. But you can still just cancel picking a quest reward.
I seem to be downoading the 296MB patch again. I'm guessing my TL2 is somewhat corrupt. It kept doing something similar during the preloading stage as well.

Very odd.
It's downloading the patch again because there was an issue they quickly fixed where the patch just before it erased the shared stash, or it was some kind of Steam cloud issue. I don't know if it's some settings I recently changed, or this patch, but the game runs a hell of a lot smoother now, compared to frame dips all the time when things get hectic. Will have to see if multiplayer is improved too.

Top Bottom