• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Ashodin

8B2C673E913A7E24E2D5168C5A0981F5AB2342A1

Engineer thus far.

Okay, going off from my experience as a dual-wielding melee character from both this AND Torchlight 1...

...Put an occasional point into Focus/Magic. Seriously. It sucks hardcore later on when magic enemies are massacring you and you don't have enough Focus to use any of the good magic-based armor due to its requirements.

RS4-

Is it okay to ask in here? I just want to reset all my skill points. How do I do this?

Find the savegame folder (Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\save) and edit the settings.txt. Find the line with CONSOLE :0 and change that to 1. Then when in-game, you can open the console with Insert-key and type 'resetskills' to reset your skills.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Assassin/thief like character.

Yeah, I mean in which game. Depending on the game, Thief and Rogue mean different things. Are you looking for someone that crits constantly and vanishes, or someone that steals?

(not that it matters. Either way, no. The closest thing is the berserker, who is a critting machine)

Finaika

Yeah, I mean in which game. Depending on the game, Thief and Rogue mean different things. Are you looking for someone that crits constantly and vanishes, or someone that steals?

(not that it matters. Either way, no. The closest thing is the berserker, who is a critting machine)

Ah too bad. Thanks anyway.

TxdoHawk

Okay, so. Strength gives a bonus to weapon damage, but this won't impact the damage one does as an Embermage, since spells are tied to DPS of your weapon...right?

Edit: Okay, so my understanding is that Strength WILL benefit weapons that do physical damage, while Focus will pump wands and staves, since they only do elemental damage. Interesting...

TheExodu5

Banned
My sword and board engineer so far:

Going to keep Overload at level 1 for now, and max Seismic slam and Coup de Grace first.

Shield bash really isn't all that great, IMO. I almost think I would have been better off with something else. Sword and board is a bit underwhelming as well, considering how low armor values on shields are. Hopefully it pays off in the end.

It's a nice to get through mobs, but Onslaught or Storm Burst would have probably been better alternatives.

TheExodu5

Banned
Overload with max charges = sex

Yup. And here's the kicker: it procs Coup de Grace if your enemies are stunned. So max that Coup de Grace. Max Seismic Slam. Follow up with Overload.

Seriously. Grab Coup de Grace. Get Fire and Spark later. Damage should be insane.

edit: coup de grace does proc...but it may only be procing on one enemy during the Overload. Not too sure. I still say it's worth picking up, though, especially since you're 2H with high chance of stun.

Hybrid897

Okay, Engineer suggestions please, here is my build thus far:
I'm not doing amazing on Act II and my health drops pretty fast. It might be my equips more than other stuff, but still, is my build going okay and does anyone have any good suggestions for new skills to invest in?

I'd really recommend the Aegis of Fate passive as its an incredibly strong skill. Paired with healing bot its a little too good :)

TheExodu5

Banned
Okay, Engineer suggestions please, here is my build thus far:

Lvl 23

STR: 68
DEX: 10
FOC: 5
VIT: 67

Skills:
Flame Hammer 5/15
Heavy Lifting 7/15
Supercharge 4/15
Healing Bot 7/15
Bulwark 6/15

I'm not doing amazing on Act II and my health drops pretty fast. It might be my equips more than other stuff, but still, is my build going okay and does anyone have any good suggestions for new skills to invest in?

Looks good to me. You'll want to pick up either Aegis of Fate or Forcefield. Since you're going Bulwark, I'd recommend Aegis of Fate since it synergizes nicely with it. Make sure you don't neglect Physical Armor on your gear...it's a very important stat. Also, I recommend grabbing a level of Overcharge. You're going to want a charge spender so that's probably your best pick, and it will help a lot for when you get surrounded. You'll probably want Onslaught as well...nice initiating and escape skill.

And it goes without saying, but you will need potions. If you're playing on Veteran, a potion every now and then should be alright. If you're playing on Elite, you pretty much need to spam them nonstop.

Sajjaja

Anyone know if there are patch notes? Just curious to what they changed.

EDIT: Found it

STABILITY
*Fixed a potential crash bug when applying affixes and effects in certain circumstances
*Fixed rare crash when turning in quest in the Undercurrents.
*Put in protection against character save file corruption. Corrupted characters will not appear in the list of characters. (And thus can't cause the game to crash on load)

SKILLS
*Fix for Berserker geyser proc showing up as a mappable skill.
*Fix for triggering Shocking Burst and Arc Beam out of range while hitting shift that could cause chain casting.
*'Resist Slow' affix fixed.
*Proc affixes scale better with player level.
*Berserker 'Wolf Shade' now has the (intended) 60 second cooldown applied to all ranks.
*Fix for mistriggering when chaining two skills together when there is an early hit-frame.
*Safety check to stop any looping skills that get stuck in the 'on' state when the character is not performing a skill.
*Fixed bug with 'Poison Burst' procs (they should properly engage at more distant ranges).
*Fix for potential issue when units would queue removed/unavailable skills.
*Fix for having more than 100% reduction to charge decay or a negative flat charge decay.

PERFORMANCE
*Made significant optimizations to particle collisions.

SYSTEMS
*Fix a bug when recalculating the price on objects to make sure the calculation is based on the correct data.
*Fix for bug where rapid clicks could misspend stat points.
*Removed access to console commands in multiplayer games.
*The game's login dialog now correctly allows passwords up to 64 characters long.
*Removed display of other users' IP addresses in multiplayer games.
*Removed Steam Cloud toggle in the settings file (it didn't do anything); the ability to toggle is available in the Steam client.
*Removed logging for achievements to potentially reduce some FPS drops for some users.

LEVELS/SCRIPTING
*Tweaks to various areas to prevent units from getting stuck.
*Changed lootable rocks to be non-colliding as they could occasionally block very narrow corridors.
*Fixes to some level scripting logic in the Frosted Hills.
*Fixed a bug that could cause multiple Tower of the Moon entrances to appear in the world.
*Implemented a few specific boss room pathing fixes.

ACHIEVEMENTS
*Fixed friends list based achievements.
*Spell-learning achievements now don't incorrectly trigger based on other players.

MINOR
*Fixed several typos.
*Improvements to journal tooltips.

Thanks.

Is there any way to completely respec? I regret putting a single point into flame hammer.

Also, healbot de-spawning when entering a new area is super annoying.

Desty

Banned
Sorry if this has been asked before but does spending skills point on focus for the engineer make sense? I keep adding points but magic damage is always 0 -> 0. Is focus helping me in some other way or with some magic item equipped?

Shoogoo

What's the endgame like? Are there high end randomly generated dungeons or something?

What are you supposed to do when you're done with the story, I don't want this to end D:

spirity

There's a tendency for some items to look like a shopping list. 2% to this, 3% to that, 5% to something else x 10. It's not overwhelming to me, but I think they could have reigned it in a little. However, there's not too many of those. Most uniques don't go overboard.

I would rather it be like that however, than have the sparseness of D3's loot, which just left me feeling like my character was a scrub. I guess in D3, when you do get a good item, there's great satisfaction in it. However, those long bouts of looting and coming up with jack shit just wasn't any fun. I feel genuinely rewarded for my time playing TL2.

I think I still prefer PoE however. That's on hold until act 3 goes in, but TL2 has been tremendous fun so far.

spirity

What's the endgame like? Are there high end randomly generated dungeons or something?

What are you supposed to do when you're done with the story, I don't want this to end D:

New game+ so you go through from the start again, the mobs are scaled up in difficulty to take you through to 100, loot is scaled up, I think there's a few surprises and you can buy maps to access dungeons with bosses at the end. And of course, you'll be hunting for 'Legendary' tier items.

I'm wondering if they'll patch in a new game++ option at some point.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Yes, that and newgame plus.
New games starts off with monsters being level 51 in the first area.

I'm wondering if they'll patch in a new game++ option at some point.

Are you sure there isnt?

TheExodu5

Banned
There's a tendency for some items to look like a shopping list. 2% to this, 3% to that, 5% to something else x 10. It's not overwhelming to me, but I think they could have reigned it in a little. However, there's not too many of those. Most uniques don't go overboard.

I would rather it be like that however, than have the sparseness of D3's loot, which just left me feeling like my character was a scrub. I guess in D3, when you do get a good item, there's great satisfaction in it. However, those long bouts of looting and coming up with jack shit just wasn't any fun. I feel genuinely rewarded for my time playing TL2.

The main issue with D3's loot is that upgrades end up being minor statistical bonuses. PoE and Torchlight 2 pieces can have a much larger impact on your game. Stats like stun, knockback, + % to element...these modifiers can actually dictate how you play the game.

Vargavinter

Playing a ranged Engineer on Elite with three players, put all my stats on strenght and using a Cannon. Killing everything easy with the piercing shot, some bosses are a little trouble but so far its a bit to easy even on hardest. We are only on Act 2 so far so the difficulty might ramp up (i hope).

RS4-

Nice, just found a vendor that installs sockets.

And not a fan of the way MP handles quests; if both players have different quests, it doesn't default to the hosts quests, so there are times where you can't TP to each other.

edit - ugh, hit escape, thought it'd pause, vendor disappeared.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Got this 1-hand claw from my friend, it has ridiculously high damage compared to my regular claw :

untitledtasuz.png

fresquito

Nice, just found a vendor that installs sockets.

And not a fan of the way MP handles quests; if both players have different quests, it doesn't default to the hosts quests, so there are times where you can't TP to each other.

edit - ugh, hit escape, thought it'd pause, vendor disappeared.
If a player opens a tp, the other can travel there. That said, I think it's tied to story progress. Not sure though.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Today's patch fixed the Burning Pillars + Frost Phase bug. That was my favorite thing to abuse. :(

On the plus side, it seems like the game is running smoother.

Also, what does "proc" mean?

Top Bottom