• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Ceebs

Halfway through act 3 and zero good drops ;_;

Lvl 44 and still using some lvl 20ish stuff I got in act 2. The loot gods hate me.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
so the barbarian class is pretty boring, someone direct me to a stats guide?

The game just came out, so there won't be many guides right now. That said, without having played the Beserker, I'd bet that STR and DEX are its two favored stats. That class is meant to get critical hits as often as possible.

scy

I usually go 0/1/3/1 every level. FOC is the main one since all of your spells do elemental damage. Put some points into DEX and VIT so you can meet some gear requirements earlier, and they help you live a bit longer. STR is virtually useless.

STR still increases Crit Damage and Weapon Damage, the latter of which is still relevant for any WeaponDPS skills you may use. It's something worth calculating out as I want to say increasing STR is a greater damage increase in the long run after a certain amount of Focus and Crit%. Then again, you could just itemize Crit Damage%.

Which, speaking of, I think I may change my Engineer from 3/0/0/2 to 3/1/0/1. Weapon DPS for the majority of skills I rely on for Damage (Flame/Ember Hammer, whichever I decide I like better), it may be for the best to be boosting Crit Chance.

so the barbarian class is pretty boring, someone direct me to a stats guide?

I built my Berserker (almost entirely Tundra spec) with 2 STR and DEX per level and alternating 1 Focus/STR the rest. But, only Permafrost in my build does raw Elemental damage so those Focus points so eh, not sure if they're ultimately worth it.

I'm not that far yet as I've rotated through all the classes to see which I want to continue with, however. :/

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
STR still increases Crit Damage and Weapon Damage, the latter of which is still relevant for any WeaponDPS skills you may use. It's something worth calculating out as I want to say increasing STR is a greater damage increase in the long run after a certain amount of Focus and Crit%. Then again, you could just itemize Crit Damage%.

Which, speaking of, I think I may change my Engineer from 3/0/0/2 to 3/1/0/1. Weapon DPS for the majority of skills I rely on for Damage (Flame/Ember Hammer, whichever I decide I like better), it may be for the best to be boosting Crit Chance.

After I hit 50 str on my tank engie I'm gonna start doing 1/1/0/3 myself

scy

After I hit 50 str on my tank engie I'm gonna start doing 1/1/0/3 myself

I'm generally just unsure of what I'm looking at needing stat wise long term wise. Elite hasn't been that bad so far so I'm not sure if I need more VIT for my 2H Engineer. Plus, all dem stuns and other defensive options. Though, I've also gotten like four Engineer Uniques so mine is rather geared out for the low levels :x

On an unrelated note, how common are huge groups of enemies? My Berserker grabbed an early point of Shatter Storm and I've been eyeing Poison Burst (or Shadowling Ammo) on my Outlander but ... huge groups of enemies aren't all that common. Maybe this changes for later parts of Act 2 and beyond?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx

I just did a little testing myself, and you're completely right. I didn't realize that STR would affect the weapon's damage even if it deal purely elemental damage. That does make Embermage building a little more complicated if you use Weapon DPS skills. The only one I'm using is Magma Spear, and it could always benefit from more damage.

On a side note, the burn on a higher leveled Magma Spear is ridiculous. Right now, it has an 85% chance to deal 4362 Fire damage over 6 seconds. I can just shoot most common enemies and let the burn kill them off if I feel like it.

On an unrelated note, how common are huge groups of enemies? My Berserker grabbed an early point of Shatter Storm and I've been eyeing Poison Burst (or Shadowling Ammo) on my Outlander but ... huge groups of enemies aren't all that common. Maybe this changes for later parts of Act 2 and beyond?

They do indeed get more common later on. Just wait until you meet the Sandrats in Act 2.

Ashodin

I'm generally just unsure of what I'm looking at needing stat wise long term wise. Elite hasn't been that bad so far so I'm not sure if I need more VIT for my 2H Engineer. Plus, all dem stuns and other defensive options. Though, I've also gotten like four Engineer Uniques so mine is rather geared out for the low levels :x

I've seen lots more larger groups of enemies in Act 2, yeah. It's SO satisfying to jump into them as an Engineer with Onslaught. good god.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I see they didn't fix Spider Mines or Coup de Grace.... which is a great thing for Engineer players.

I've seen lots more larger groups of enemies in Act 2, yeah. It's SO satisfying to jump into them as an Engineer with Onslaught. good god.

So should I give up Flame Hammer for Onslaught? I literally just unlocked the latter.

For those looking for spells, there's an area called
Elemental Oasis
in act 3 and spells have been dropping like crazy there. I don't know if the spell drop rate is intentionally high - could explain the name of the area - or I'm just having a good run with the rng. Area is pretty tough, I've died three times.

Nope, you just got lucky. I did it just now but got no spells from this area. However the reward at the end was an enchanter who does "unique abilities" but his max enchantment is 2. :(

scy

I just did a little testing myself, and you're completely right. I didn't realize that STR would affect the weapon's damage even if it deal purely elemental damage. That does make Embermage building a little more complicated if you use Weapon DPS skills. The only one I'm using is Magma Spear, and it could always benefit from more damage.

Generally speaking, I'd say it's not relevant enough to matter. You're mostly concerned about the Crit Damage%. If you have a high enough DEX/Crit Chance, it's probably worth considering for that. Or to note care in the long run since Focus damage boosting is probably "good enough" :x

On a side note, the burn on a higher leveled Magma Spear is ridiculous. Right now, it has an 85% chance to deal 4362 Fire damage over 6 seconds. I can just shoot most common enemies and let the burn kill them off if I feel like it.

I regret wanting to go Frost spec so hard right now. Maybe I'll go FrostFire on my Embermage!
or boring Prismatic tri-Brand

They do indeed get more common later on. Just wait until you meet the Sandrats in Act 2.

Bah, was hoping I'd have a justification for not considering the on-kill skills :x

Any thoughts on Flame Hammer vs Ember Hammer? As awesome as Overload sounds, the no Focus build my Engineer runs makes me question getting it over a WeaponDPS skill to use my Charge on.

PARANO1A

What are mages equipping weapon wise? I'm nearly 100% spell driven and not interested in staves so have a wand and a shield. Doesn't feel terribly mage-like though.

Must say - this is one of the best bang for buck games I've ever bought.

Ceebs

Oh yeah, since I was talking about how silly Forcefield is a page or so back....this is my current one.

torchlight22012-09-23vou2o.png

What are mages equipping weapon wise? I'm nearly 100% spell driven and not interested in staves so have a wand and a shield. Doesn't feel terribly mage-like though.

108F11DC4E4DEB5E168222B68AA7E09696DBD66D

dual wielding these. spend most of my time with spells but using this to fill up the charge bar and then i go spamming.

Ketch

For now, just the last 3. I'm sure someone will come with a mod sooner or later.

That's too bad. Guess I'll shelve my engi for now. I made a sword an board engi in hardcore mode and went full defense... it works great, it's just super boring.

Think I'll try berserker in hardcore instead

spirity

123_zps31aeda90.jpg

Thinking about dual wielding wands when a good one drops.

aett

Weird thing just happened. I played the game for maybe 30-45 minutes last night and just started playing for the first time today (always single-player), and the map for the region I was in was reset. I still have my levels and equipment, but the area isn't mapped out and everything has respawned. The weirdest part is that all of the enemies I have encountered so far are at my level, 17, even in the first sub-dungeon I checked out where the level range was 14-16.

I wanted to check it out some more, but my son is sick and my wife needed help with him so I'll have to wait until later tonight.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
What's broken about spider mines?

They're not "broken" in the sense of being overpowered, but technically they are only supposed to live for 15 seconds, and right now they'll roam with you indefinitely, until reaching a load screen.
Weird thing just happened. I played the game for maybe 30-45 minutes last night and just started playing for the first time today (always single-player), and the map for the region I was in was reset. I still have my levels and equipment, but the area isn't mapped out and everything has respawned. The weirdest part is that all of the enemies I have encountered so far are at my level, 17, even in the first sub-dungeon I checked out where the level range was 14-16.

I wanted to check it out some more, but my son is sick and my wife needed help with him so I'll have to wait until later tonight.

Maps reset after the patch.

the first patch wiped out stuff (not everyone) so they put out another patch so it rerolled your areaz

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=35644

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I regret wanting to go Frost spec so hard right now. Maybe I'll go FrostFire on my Embermage!
or boring Prismatic tri-Brand

Frost Phase is a requirement for all mages. Frost Wave post-tier 1 is great for clearing out tight areas. Elemental Boon was a sleeper hit for me. I wrote if off at first, but those buffs really come in handy if hate dying. I can't tell if Astral Ally is actually good, but I just wanted to have a summoning spell. (I think Staff Mastery is also good, but it's just a passive thrown into the Frost tree.)

So it's actually a pretty good tree. It's just that the offensive spells (other than Frost Wave) are lacking. The Inferno tree is one to go down if you want offense. I'm more disappointed in the Storm tree. The most OP spell of all is learned at level 1, and the only other good one is Thunder Locus.

Frost Phase is a requirement for all mages. Frost Wave post-tier 1 is great for clearing out tight areas. Elemental Boon was a sleeper hit for me. I wrote if off at first, but those buffs really come in handy if hate dying. I can't tell if Astral Ally is actually good, but I just wanted to have a summoning spell.

So it's actually a pretty good tree. It's just that the offensive spells (other than Frost Wave) are lacking. The Inferno tree is one to go if you want offense. I'm more disappointed in the Storm tree. The most OP spell of all is learned at level 1, and the only other good one is Thunder Locus.

Frost Phase = essential, most definitely. Teleports you out of tight situations.
Prismatic Bolts + Thunder Locus + Lightning Brand is an awesome combo for offense.
Flame Pillars are cool too.

I put points into Charge Mastery and Wand Chaos whenever I can. By the end of act 2, I'll probably be able to spam spells at ease without using up too much mana.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Frost Phase = essential, most definitely. Teleports you out of tight situations.
Prismatic Bolts + Thunder Locus + Lightning Brand is an awesome combo for offense.
Flame Pillars are cool too.

I put points into Charge Mastery and Wand Chaos whenever I can. By the end of act 2, I'll probably be able to spam spells at ease without using up too much mana.

I prefer Staff Mastery over Wand Chaos. For one, Staves give me a higher weapon DPS which makes my Magma Spears stronger. Staff Mastery lowers enemies' elemental armors for 8 seconds and it's cumulative. Fire a few Magma Spears into a tough enemy, and then quickly blast them with Prismatic Bolts before the debuff wears off. Add in at least one point in each of the Brands, an active Elemental Boon, and a full Charge, and I'm doing serious damage. I got the achievement for doing 10,000 damage in a single attack with that combo at level 50.

I've only got 5 points in Charge Mastery, plus some Charge rate boosting items. It fills up so fast now that putting more points into feels like a waste. But then again, having that 25% damage boost more often would be awesome.

scy

Frost Phase is a requirement for all mages. Frost Wave post-tier 1 is great for clearing out tight areas. Elemental Boon was a sleeper hit for me. I wrote if off at first, but those buffs really come in handy if hate dying. I can't tell if Astral Ally is actually good, but I just wanted to have a summoning spell. (I think Staff Mastery is also good, but it's just a passive thrown into the Frost tree.)

So it's actually a pretty good tree. It's just that the offensive spells (other than Frost Wave) are lacking. The Inferno tree is one to go down if you want offense. I'm more disappointed in the Storm tree. The most OP spell of all is learned at level 1, and the only other good one is Thunder Locus.

It's basically getting to Frost Wave in regards to making Frost worth it. It just makes the low levels (rather, 1-28) just really, really boring to play. Icy Blast just isn't that great for a spam spell and that's before you even compare it to Prismatic Bolt. And then you have the really good tri-Brand Prismatic Bolt spec :/

Elemental Boon isn't bad, per se, but I hate keeping up short duration buffs; I believe Astral Ally is more damage over the long run but I don't think I've seen any data numbers on it.

I basically rerolled a second Embermage who's just sitting with Prismatic Bolt through most of Act 1. Undecided how I want to build this one yet. I'll probably just stick with my original Frost/Storm plan and keep speccing out Prismatic Bolt until Frost Wave. Not sure yet.

I prefer Staff Mastery over Wand Chaos. For one, Staves give me a higher weapon DPS which makes my Magma Spears stronger. Staff Mastery lowers enemies' elemental armors for 8 seconds and it's cumulative. Fire a few Magma Spears into a tough enemy, and then quickly blast them with Prismatic Bolts before the debuff wears off. Add in at least one point in each of the Brands, an active Elemental Boon, and a full Charge, and I'm doing serious damage. I got the achievement for doing 10,000 damage in a single attack with that combo at level 50.

The primary spam skills are better suited for Staff. Wand Chaos is just more hilarious to watch.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just got back from work.

Probably going to hop on in a bit and stream my berserker for a bit. I'll post the link when I start streaming.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Elemental Boon isn't bad, per se, but I hate keeping up short duration buffs; I believe Astral Ally is more damage over the long run but I don't think I've seen any data numbers on it.

I think it's great. Right now, I get +22% damage to my elemental damage and -22% to elemental damage received every 15 seconds (if I remember to cast it often). I've got in on my R button so it's within quick reach.

The primary spam skills are better suited for Staff. Wand Chaos is just more hilarious to watch.

Can't argue with that. And I think it gets up to an 36% percent chance of activating at max level, so it might be worth it in the end if the effects deal enough damage.

Wilsongt

I said goddamn. I was in a place in Act II and there was so much shit flying around I didn't know what the hell was going on. Thankfully I was able to Shadow Burst the shit out of everything.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
News flash healing bots stack.

Which I would assume means everything else in general stacks.... soooo whats the point of not all rolling tank engies? LOL

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I said goddamn. I was in a place in Act II and there was so much shit flying around I didn't know what the hell was going on. Thankfully I was able to Shadow Burst the shit out of everything.

Yep. That's essentially how i heal, now.

News flash healing bots stack.

Which I would assume means everything else in general stacks.... soooo whats the point of not all rolling tank engies? LOL

Because shadow burst berserker is equally as insane.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
So the outlander skill, glaive throw (the starting skill) is so ridiculously OP once you level it up. I've been stacking Dex+Strength in equal amounts and I can just toss one into a room and it clears the whole thing out. I don't even have to be precise with the aiming either. And I can throw it around corners. Pretty flipping awesome. Honestly the way Outlander plays in this is how Demon Hunter should have played in D3. The class just has so many great skills and many synergize quite well.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I'm going to try my Embermage out on Elite in a little while. Everything died too easily on Veteran with my build, even the final boss.

thetrin

Meanwhile, Blood Hunger doesn't seem nearly as good :/

I'm using both. Imo, Blood Hunger is worth having at least 5 points in (along with Red Wolf) for when you're at full charge and critting like mad. But yeah, blood hunger is nowhere near as good as shadow burst.

Thank god they set the regen to percentage instead of a flat healing total. That would have sucked a lot.

You level much more faster on this game than in Diablo III? Or is simply that I have much more fun?

In Diablo III, at Act 3, leveling was a pain, looking constantly the xp bar, waiting for the level up. Here, I get levels, and fame extra skills, without realising.

You level much more faster on this game than in Diablo III? Or is simply that I have much more fun?

In Diablo III, at Act 3, leveling was a pain, looking constantly the xp bar, waiting for the level up. Here, I get levels, and fame extra skills, without realising.

Leveling seems extremely fast :p

I dunno, but with this game - time flies and I have no complaints about leveling up or gaining fame. It's just tons of fun.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
As much fun as I'm having with this game, the performance is starting to become intolerable. Dipping down to 20 fps with 25% GPU usage? C'mon.

Top Bottom