• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah I'm AMD/ATI and it was dropping down to 18fps in battle sometimes, and just having 6 players standing around dropped it to 45-50. It runs perfectly well until only the most insane situations in single player, and even then the drop isn't very bad.

I never had microstutter on D3. I get tons of microstutter on TL2. Like nothing is going on in the dwarven ruins places in act 2 and I look at fraps and see 60fps but then I'm choppy as fuck on my AMD system.
I have no microstutter in single player. Are you forcing vsync in the game or in radeonpro?

TheExodu5

Banned
Can't believe I rolled this on my level 50 Engy. Gave it to an Outlander buddy. Ridiculous neck piece.

godlyneck.jpg

I found out how to disable camera shake, since it bugs the hell out of me =)

Heres some simple instructions to disable it:

Navigate to
C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\save\

click on the folder there, might be a string of numbers

then edit the settings.txt file

change the line:
NO CAMERA SHAKE :0
to
NO CAMERA SHAKE :1

Enjoy =)

Yo, I'm off work and home now! Who wants to play for a couple of hours?

I'm still on act 2. Going to open up another game room under NeoGAF.

Password: earvcunanan

Carm

I found out how to disable camera shake, since it bugs the hell out of me =)

Heres some simple instructions to disable it:

Navigate to
C:\Users\YOUR NAME\Documents\My Games\Runic Games\Torchlight 2\save\

click on the folder there, might be a string of numbers

then edit the settings.txt file

change the line:
NO CAMERA SHAKE :0
to
NO CAMERA SHAKE :1

Enjoy =)

I turned that off really fast in TL1, it irritates me that you can't turn it off in D3.

I get slowdown when I'm in a group of 3-4+ and we're all doing shit onscreen at once (i.e. big mobs or a boss battle). Otherwise it's very consistent (I usually play with 1 friend of mine).

i5-2500K, Radeon 6950, Win 7 x64. 1920x1200.

alazz

Just started an Engineer. Really, really dig it. I don't think I'll be using my charge bar at all with the skills I've glanced over, though. It'd be nice if it did something more than an alternative resource pool.

I'm having a lot more fun with it than Berserker, and unlike Berserker I've had no bad difficulty spikes in some areas because of my skill distribution. Even 4-2 levels above the recommended level with a tight skill distribution I was dying almost once per mob.

I get slowdown when I'm in a group of 3-4+ and we're all doing shit onscreen at once (i.e. big mobs or a boss battle). Otherwise it's very consistent (I usually play with 1 friend of mine).

i5-2500K, Radeon 6950, Win 7 x64. 1920x1200.
Same setup here. The patch seems to have improved my performance, and I haven't gotten huuge drops during big mobs but the slowdowns are noticeable. but less frequent all around.

Anyone else is starting to feel that the Engineer is ridiculously overpowered? I am struggling to think of a reason to use the Outlander or Embermage when you can spam Blast Cannons with a vastly tougher Engineer that can summon Spider Mines and Gunbots.

Ceebs

Man...the boss of Vyrax's Tower...that was pretty damn intense.

Also I feel bad for you guys that are getting framerate drops who try to do that fight.

Act 3 elite is so stupid.

Leap attack wolves are so stupid.
wait until you get to the dungeon the eyeball sends you to. The elites in there were fucking up my super tank engineer.

zulux21

Anyone else is starting to feel that the Engineer is ridiculously overpowered? I am struggling to think of a reason to use the Outlander or Embermage when you can spam Blast Cannons with a vastly tougher Engineer that can summon Spider Mines and Gunbots.

I feel the Engineer is indeed the most powerful class (at least through level 20) that being said I also don't think it makes a bit of difference if one class is twice as powerful as another(not saying the engineer is just saying it doesn't matter if it is). This game isn't a competition, it's merely a journey to find awesome loot. I am not even sure if TL2 even has a PVP element in it lol.

Regardless when mods hit I fully expect there to be custom classes created, and I fully expect them to be unbalanced and stupid.... but if they are fun who cares :p

FtHTiny

Okay someone from you guys in act 3 on elite? Getting almost one-shot from the casters and really annoying leaping attacking wolves. Suddenly the game thinks one-shotting makes a good experience.
As an embermage with 150 vit and 150 focus.

Ceebs

Okay someone from you guys in act 3 on elite? Getting almost one-shot from the casters and really annoying leaping attacking wolves. Suddenly the game thinks one-shotting makes a good experience.

Not playing on elite, but Act 3 really shoots up in difficulty pretty drastically and so far has kept doing so.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I get pretty poor performance at times as well, granted my CPU is garbage. Still, I figured with as we'll as the first game ran I wouldn't have much trouble with this game.

AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.0 GHz
Nvidia GTX 460
3GBs of RAM

Haven't had the chance to try it with the new patch yet.

alazz

I feel the Engineer is indeed the most powerful class (at least through level 20) that being said I also don't think it makes a bit of difference if one class is twice as powerful as another(not saying the engineer is just saying it doesn't matter if it is). This game isn't a competition, it's merely a journey to find awesome loot. I am not even sure if TL2 even has a PVP element in it lol.

Regardless when mods hit I fully expect there to be custom classes created, and I fully expect them to be unbalanced and stupid.... but if they are fun who cares :p
/pvp flags you for pvp. I'm not sure if you can only be damaged by other players flagged.

I agree with you. Didn't Runic say balance ruins fun, too?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Any tips for dual wield berzerker? Just started one and I'm playing it safe putting points into passives and str/dex but I'll have to come up with a plan eventually. Seems like focus may be more important than vitality since boosting crits not only helps you dodge, but rakes in the health with some of his passives.

TheExodu5

Banned
Finally beat the game on Veteran. Level 54. Here's my tankgineer, wearing a partial Dwarfking set.

engy5.jpg

This claw is absolutely incredible for killing bosses:

theclaw.jpg

Jtrizzy

Is there a way to map the controls the same as diablo 3, where LMB can have a skill and move? I'm a ranged character and I like to spam electricity as a wizard on the lmb in D3. I'm trying for a similar build in this.

As an embermage with 150 vit and 150 focus.

How much HP do you have? I have 4K HP and still getting killed, not in one hit though,

My performance is pretty crap also, much worse than diablo 3. The framerate is ok 90% of the time but when it drops it REALLY drops... just beat a boss in act 2 and I doubt the fps went above 15 during the fight.

Finally beat the game on Veteran. Level 54. Here's my tankgineer, wearing a partial Dwarfking set.

engy5.jpg

This claw is absolutely incredible for killing bosses:

theclaw.jpg
Nice find, I wish a fucking Mysterious Axe would drop for me. I'm just got to MineHead. How much further do I got to finish?

TheExodu5

Banned
Good lord. That -266 to all armor per hit combined with that attack speed has got to be fucking nuts.

Yeah it's quite ridiculous. I end up dealing 1000-2000 damage per hit after it stacks up and my supercharge activates (2000-3000 with crits at a 20% crit rate). It's pretty damned nice.

I want to find another +73 damage gem and a socketer and then I will be unstoppable with this thing.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Yeah it's quite ridiculous. I end up dealing 1000-2000 damage per hit (2000-3000 with crits at a 20% crit rate). It's pretty damned nice.

I want to find another +73 damage gem and a socketer and then I will be unstoppable with this thing.

Is that all? Excuse me for being down on you, but the Embermage must be more OP than I realized. Without any gear equipped, my Prismatic Bolt will deal almost 3000 minimum (total, not each bolt individually). Fully equipped and properly set up, I can get up to 8000-9000 damage with occasional 10,000+ crits. And I'm only Level 58.

Of course, your guy can probably take several more hits before being in danger. If I accidentally run into a mob, I have to hammer on my button for Frost Phase and pray the targeting system doesn't screw me over.

Ceebs

Is that all? Excuse me for being down on you, but the Embermage must be more OP than I realized. Without any gear equipped, my Prismatic Bolt will deal almost 3000 minimum (total, not each bolt individually). Fully equipped and properly set up, I can get up to 8000-9000 damage with occasional 10,000+ crits. And I'm only Level 58.

Of course, your guy can probably take several more hits before being in danger. If I accidentally run into a mob, I have to hammer on my button for Frost Phase and pray the targeting system doesn't screw me over.

Tank spec engies can stand in front of bosses and soak up tons of hits without ever being in danger. For the (an act 3 boss)
dragon at the top of the tower
I think I used 3 potions total (all mana) and the fight lasted several minutes.

Is that all? Excuse me for being down on you, but the Embermage must be more OP than I realized. Without any gear equipped, my Prismatic Bolt will deal almost 3000 minimum (total, not each bolt individually). Fully equipped and properly set up, I can get up to 8000-9000 damage with occasional 10,000+ crits. And I'm only I'm only level 58.

my first 10k crit was around level 45, the embermage is definitely a little op

"Is that all? Excuse me for being down on you, but the Embermage must be more OP than I realized. Without any gear equipped, my Prismatic Bolt will deal almost 3000 minimum (total, not each bolt individually). Fully equipped and properly set up, I can get up to 8000-9000 damage with occasional 10,000+ crits. And I'm only Level 58."

Your super glass cannon build does more damage than a tanky one? Damn, you pro.

Romir

Tank spec engies can stand in front of bosses and soak up tons of hits without ever being in danger. For the (an act 3 boss)
dragon at the top of the tower
I think I used 3 potions total (all mana) and the fight lasted several minutes.

Agreed, that boss was the first one I couldn't "stand in the fire" with impunity. I went through Act 3 veteran with 0 deaths and 4 health potions used. That was with an outlander, fire pillars, and his embermage pet. They got one-shotted or rapidly gibbed many times but carried me damage wise.

Shoogoo

Could respeccing have broken my embermage? It's the only one I modified through the console (I didn't like Chaos Wand, pretty useless imho) and it's the only one I struggle with (in Act 2 - Veteran) HP wise. I die in 2 hits most of the time. I'm confused as to why though, he has pretty good gear too..

I know the picture explains this but exactly how do you use this? Paste code in every slot like both aa compatibilties?

you just need to paste that code into Anti-Aliasing Compatibility (not the D1x one, just the regular one) and then you should be able to enable any type of AA you want to use. to use SGSSAA specifically, I find this guide to be the most helpful: http://naturalviolence.webs.com/sgssaa.htm

basically you select 4xMSAA in the mode, select 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling in Transparency Supersampling, adjust the LOD Bias to -1 and force 16xAF high quality textures to minimise blurring.

Ceebs

I have a boatload of goodies for outlanders or embermages. Had the worst luck for drops.

Finally got a unique I could use and...I was already using the exact same one.

pilonv1

Still have an empty friends list despite linking my accounts. Am I the only one still with this issue or am I missing something?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I only got about 10 from my friend list from steam. Which there should be more.
Maybe the others went straight for SP without creating a Runic account?

Playing dual-wielding lvl 30ishBerserker on Veteran, been putting points in Eviscerate, Shadow Burst and some of the passive (Blood Hunger, Executioner and Frenzy Mastery). Game is getting hard in the second map of Act 2 and I feel like I need another active comp. Hesitating between Shadowbind and Frost Breath... Any input from experienced hack and slash players?

Top Bottom