• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Do you have the Nvidia 306.23 drivers? And what resolution are you playing at?

You should be able to run the game fine - dropping down to 20 FPS is suspect (CPU/RAM, maybe?)

Using 306.23 and running at 1920x1080. All of my other games are running normally (well except DayZ but that's always run terribly).

Izayoi

Banned
Phenom II X4 940BE @ 3.4ghz, 560ti and 8GB RAM. The GPU usage never goes above 25%.
Check your CPU usage. I'm pretty sure the game is mostly CPU bound, and it's possible that perhaps the physics are causing you problem. Although your CPU really should be fine, the game isn't terribly demanding...

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Check your CPU usage. I'm pretty sure the game is mostly CPU bound, and it's possible that perhaps the physics are causing you problem. Although your CPU really should be fine, the game isn't terribly demanding...

CPU usage is usually maxed out on one core while the rest are doing pretty much...nothing. There are quite a few people complaining about this on the Runic forums.

Izayoi

Banned
CPU usage is usually maxed out on one core while the rest are doing pretty much...nothing. There are quite a few people complaining about this on the Runic forums.
I would imagine that's probably the cause, especially if it's bound to a single core. I'll check it out when I get home.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, but with this game - time flies and I have no complaints about leveling up or gaining fame. It's just tons of fun.

I would say leveling seems faster since you get regular levels with skill points and fame levels that also give you skill points.

Goddamn my shoulder hurts from playing this.....

I would say leveling seems faster since you get regular levels with skill points and fame levels that also give you skill points.

Goddamn my shoulder hurts from playing this.....

Make sure to have a good posture when playing for an extended period of time. @_@

Don't want to develop a bad back or a slouching shoulder area.

1. This game rocks.
2. I figured out why searching for games was being stupid and unreliable. Steam didn't automatically update my TL2 for some reason, so it was letting me go online with an out-of-date version. When I restarted Steam it updated and everything was good.

I'm having way too much fun with this. I never was into multiplayer with this type of game but it's awesome playing with friends.

Izayoi

Banned
can i play this with one hand?
Sure. If you want to use anything other than an auto-attack and one skill, you'll need a Naga or something similar though. I play with just one hand most of the time. Occasionally I use two hands to make use of the shift key, though.

can i play this with one hand?

razer-naga-molten-edition-cool-gaming-mouse-front-side-rear-angle-view.jpg

zulux21

Sure. If you want to use anything other than an auto-attack and one skill, you'll need a Naga or something similar though. I play with just one hand most of the time. Occasionally I use two hands to make use of the shift key, though.

not sure what a naga is but I play one handed just fine with my mouse mapping some hot keys to my mouse wheel button, and the side buttons (so I have a total of 5 attacks)

I might have to use the keyboard once I get another skill I care about, but i am just running bots on my engineer so it's all been good lol

It's a good game, but it's not that good.

how bad is it that I ready your name as "UncleSpanky" after reading your post ><:

I was really disappointed that the Shadowling Brute has a short summon duration. Nothing is listed so I assumed it'd be a semi-permanent companion like the Healing Bot, but nope. About 15 seconds at level 1, though it does improve.

I posted on their support site asking for the info to be added.

zulux21

I'm doing precisely this.

I'm not a big fan of HC in general (I lack focus) but online/offline I feel like I could do it on TL2... which makes me happy as there is no way in hell I would attempt it on D3... it's better than it was but I still get horrible lag spikes in D3 at least once a 2-3 hour run. (when I first started playing in june it was about every 10 min)

Izayoi

Banned
not sure what a naga is but I play one handed just fine with my mouse mapping some hot keys to my mouse wheel button
The Naga is the mouse above your post. It allows me to do everything with just the mouse - potions, skills, etc. It's really nice. I'm playing on Veteran as an Outlander and I haven't run into any problems yet. For some boss fights I use two hands, so I can use shift, but most of the time it's mouse only.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I want to like melee more but the Trash mobs they throw at you overwhelm you....

I was fighting it and then switched to good ol cannon and tore it up. I hope they really increase the melee range...

Why would I hit two or three people in front of me for health when I can cannon a whole group of people for health and get pretty much all health back. I like the speed....I just hate the reach.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I want to like melee more but the Trash mobs they throw at you overwhelm you....

I was fighting it and then switched to good ol cannon and tore it up. I hope they really increase the melee range...

Why would I hit two or three people in front of me for health when I can cannon a whole group of people for health and get pretty much all health back. I like the speed....I just hate the reach.

I can melee plenty of people just fine. It's called shield bash

Ceebs

Go through dungeon and fight the 4 bosses at the end hoping for some cool loot...the reward is an enchanter down there. No chest or anything. ;_;

Anyone got a good farming strat to gear out a new character yet? Would my best bet to be to just run some of the early dungeons over and over?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Go through dungeon and fight the 4 bosses at the end hoping for some cool loot...the reward is an enchanter down there. No chest or anything. ;_;

Anyone got a good farming strat to gear out a new character yet? Would my best bet to be to just run some of the early dungeons over and over?

Are you you talking about the unique enchanter? I thought that was a pretty good reward myself...except I had no gold on me to actually make use of it :(

VandalD

Know exactly what you're talking about. He put some sweet chants on my items though. Stuff like +2% all damage. My thinking is he probably has the best chants in the game, so they want you to be able to reliably find him, but have to fight to get to him.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
For me, Elite is the same as Veteran except that my mage can now die in a single hit instead just two or three.

I think I'll save Elite for multiplayer.

Ceebs

Are you you talking about the unique enchanter? I thought that was a pretty good reward myself...except I had no gold on me to actually make use of it :(

I have no items worth enchanting further. Still going strong with my loot drought. Every unique has been for other classes since mid Act 2.

Skeyser

The game is a lot more awesome than I thought it'd be, I bought it earlier today and I just can't stop playing. So much better than the first one and at 20$ it really is a steal.

The loot is amazing, just got my first unique and it felt great even though it won't be too useful for my barbarian.

It'd be great for an engineer though, right? I haven't paid much attention to the stats on other ranged weapon yet, but they look pretty good.

Carm

As much fun as I'm having with this game, the performance is starting to become intolerable. Dipping down to 20 fps with 25% GPU usage? C'mon.

My framerate has been stable even before the patch. What's your set-up look like?

Welcome to the club, you're not the only person having this issue. It isn't his setup, it's the game. A lot of the people are having this issue, along with stuttering, have Phenom cpus. There's a 15 page thread on the Runic forums about it here. Apparently Travis just ordered a AMD machine since they don't have any, to try to figure this out.

jchap

I think you may be on to something... What's better than some pompous magician and a hot assistant? A hot magician and a hot assistant.

Arde5643

Meanwhile, Blood Hunger doesn't seem nearly as good :/

With high FOCUS (or high execute chance); executioner, blood hunger, and Frenzy mastery passives are very nasty.

High chance of execute (max executioner gives +30% execute chance)= charge rate goes insane (almost 50% more charge rate at max executioner) = full charge every few hits = life drain of 12% on every hit.

Combine this with shadowbind tho to be able to hit multiple enemies while hitting the boss.

One thing about berserkers though, once you get in the rhythm - enemies just die all around you in the midst of all the chaos.

Blizzard

Banned
As much fun as I'm having with this game, the performance is starting to become intolerable. Dipping down to 20 fps with 25% GPU usage? C'mon.
Same, with 3-4 people I had to turn nearly all the settings down and it was still going to 20-30 fps. Supposedly the patch improved particle performance, but I suspect it's CPU-related -- I'm guessing it also only uses one core.

I leveled an engineer from 1-15 with a group of 4-6 people tonight. Multiplayer gets almost too crazy over 4 though, since it becomes nearly impossible to see what's going on. I like using the engineer cannon blast ability from a distance...in fact everyone until near the end rolled new characters, and I may have been the only one (or one of two) who never died, thanks to being so tanky. Even running in and spamming the stomp stun ability you're usually pretty safe it seems, with healbot and shield.

One downside of engineer, or maybe how I'm using it, is I hardly ever seem to build charge with autoattack, so I'm just not focusing on abilities that depend on charge to do damage.

Carm

So the people with performance issue is strictly AMD cpus?

No, it just seems, at least in that thread, most are.

Here is one of the videos in the thread, showing the stuttering some of us are getting. Graphics settings don't really make much of a difference. Only shadows completely off, for me, seem to help some, but doesn't elimate the stuttering. I still get massive fps drops in combat, 20 and under, with shadows off.

Blizzard

Banned
So the people with performance issue is strictly AMD cpus?
I have an (old) Intel CPU, e8400 core 2 duo 3.0 GHz. Note that my problem isn't stuttering, it's low framerates, e.g. the enclave having sub-60 fps even with settings turned down if there are 3-4+ players on the server. I don't -think- I was hosting either. And if I run into more enemies appearing on the screen or effects go off it might jump to 18-30 depending.

1680x1050 resolution, 5850 GPU.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Just to clarify, I'm not getting anything that feels like stuttering, just very low FPS in battles combined with very low GPU usage (it literally maxes out at 25%).

Gvaz

Banned
I never had microstutter on D3. I get tons of microstutter on TL2. Like nothing is going on in the dwarven ruins places in act 2 and I look at fraps and see 60fps but then I'm choppy as fuck on my AMD system.

Top Bottom