• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

Orlandu84

I had one hell of a time doing Djinni's Second Task on Veteran NG+. But thankfully after many tries finished it.
Same here! That so far has been the most frustrating part of veteran ng+ for me. Everything else has felt challenging and fun without being vindictively difficult.

v0mitg0d

Hi Gaf!

I'm back with a new interview with Max Schaefer. As some of you'll recall I interviewed Max back at E3 and we talked about bunch lot of cool things, including his time at Blizzard working on Diablo 3 many moons ago.

Well I sat down with Max again a few days after Torchlight 2 launched and we discussed: Torchlight 2 sales, how powerful the mod tools really are, will TL2 on the Mac make 2012, player cheating, working on Diablo 3, open-multiplayer vs secure-multiplayer, Claptrap and Minecraft cameos in TL2, PvP, Torchlight 3, Torchlight 2 on next gen consoles, Sci-Fi ARPGs and if he'll ever make that Torchlight/Minecraft hybrid he told me about at E3 this year.

http://eat-games.tumblr.com/post/32824468588/max-schaefer-torchlight2-launch-interview

Lots more at the link too...hope you guys enjoy, I'm proud of this one! :)

Cheers,
-Mark

(Does this deserve it's own thread? Not sure, you guys decide. I don't think I can create new threads anyways).

Posting this one more time to make sure everyone sees it. :)

Dascu

Positively surprised and actually impressed by this game.

Loving the variety in loot, beautiful and creative areas, colorful visuals and some honestly cool designs.

I'm having fun finding lvl 70+ gears on my NG+ Berserker and transferring them to my Outlander that is still in NG. Meeting some of the stats requirements for those high level weapons and armor feels great.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
New patch is live. No more easy Alchemist farming. :(

Patch notes for version 1.13.X.12

MISC
*Fixed Engineer armor set that was showing up as white geometry

PERFORMANCE
*Additional UI performance improvements
*Additional rendering performance improvements
*Precacheing of skills, missiles, and particles to reduce the appearance of stutters the first time those assets are viewed on some machines

STABILITY
*Fixed a crash that could occur with a dying pet that proc'ed on save restoration

SKILLS
*Fixed some issues with Stormclaw bolt chaining
*Blazing Pillar will no longer give enemies the ability to burn you!
*Shockbolts and Shocking Orb can now build charge
*Fixed several non-working augment affixes
*On-Death Procs properly cool down if required (Fixes several issues where a proc ceases functioning after a period of time)
*Blade Pact and Stone Pact last for listed time

ITEMS
*Lore item set now has a tangle ability, instead of a nonfunctional acidrain proc
*Several affixes that work based on unit proximity can work in parallel, when they could not before

GAMEPLAY
*Fixed several issues where procs could be precluded from activation
*Set bonuses based on nearby monster count work properly
*Some more multiplayer XP distribution fixes related to player/killer delta
*Can't turn alignment on something that attaches to its master
*When a left-click skill is bound, skills won't track a second mouse click if you click and click-away again (keeps you from pointing the wrong direction sometimes)
*Player block cap set to 75 instead of 50
*Elemental armor reduction can't reduce armor below zero
*Champions all have 100% charm resistance
*Siege Turrets have 100% charm resistance

LEVEL SCRIPTING
*Can't prematurely activate Vyrax tower warp with teleportation
*Various minor level fixes
*Various visual updates to the Three Sisters' Lair
*Some snow effects were not properly tagged as 'weather' so would not disable when weather was turned off
*Tutaran trap fixes
*Alchemist can no longer be 'started' on his third stage by rerolling, going to the next level waypoint, and back up.

injurai

Banned
There is no 'laptop mode' in this one.

What are the CPU and GPU of yours? I can probably tell you whether it will run well or not.

My laptop will run it, but I was more interesting in the keyboard only controls. My trackpad won't be good for such a dungeon crawler.

InertiaXr

I have a claw that says 'Kill 10 Champion creatures to upgrade' and I've killed at least 5, and it still says 0/10. Would me being in mapworks matter? I'm using it in my offhand, so I thought maybe I was just getting the killing blow with my main hand over and over, but then I'm pretty sure I killed a champion using execute but still 0/10...

SoulFist

I just started my first playthrough as an engineer and had some questions. What should I be putting my stats into. So far I'm level 12 with most all stats going into strength and vitality. I thought this was the right way to go, until I read something about vit not being so good, and focus and dexterity being really good. Kinda lost about it. I don't have any skills other than the first one because I'm not sure what kind of engineer I want to play. I'm hoping some of you engineering pros could give me some tips. Thanks! :D

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I have a claw that says 'Kill 10 Champion creatures to upgrade' and I've killed at least 5, and it still says 0/10. Would me being in mapworks matter? I'm using it in my offhand, so I thought maybe I was just getting the killing blow with my main hand over and over, but then I'm pretty sure I killed a champion using execute but still 0/10...

This was happening to me too. A few times it wouldn't count a kill until I rezoned and other times it wouldn't count at all.

--

A little disappointed that the performance is still so bad on Phenom IIs post-patch. Getting 15fps with 10% GPU usage. Hopefully Runic figures out what's going on since they'll have an AMD machine soon.

Morokh

This doesn't work in the offhand slot, even if you execute.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Yessir. Engineer has a tree dedicated to Sword and Board/Defenses.

MrKaepora

Just started with an embermage in veteran. Wow, I was so used to engineer, using forcefield and healing bot, that I almost didn't use potions. Got to change my playing style.

You should have

Hm. Oh well, guess I'll complete it in NG+ then. Thanks.

Also does anyone know how to change what difficulty level your character saves at? My engineer defaults to normal for some reason though I started him offline on veteran so I for now I've been doing LAN games on veteran.

spiritfox

You can always go back to the places and find them. They will remain there until you take them.

And you can't change the difficulty settings, except to join or create multiplayer games with a different difficulty level. It sucks.

Gaspode_T

Just lost all potions and basically all money fighting Grom on Veteran :p Don't know what is wrong with my Outlander build, I have similar to Witch Doctor in Diablo where I mana regen by shooting then cast tons of stuff, rinse repeat...go down in like one shot from Grom, maybe simply armor is too low..

http://pic.twitter.com/snAzIQ3n

Just lost all potions and basically all money fighting Grom on Veteran :p Don't know what is wrong with my Outlander build, I have similar to Witch Doctor in Diablo where I mana regen by shooting then cast tons of stuff, rinse repeat...go down in like one shot from Grom, maybe simply armor is too low..

http://pic.twitter.com/snAzIQ3n

Actually if you have enough range, you can cheese Grom from the railing area without going into the port.

Gaspode_T

Hmmm I don't have much plus range gear, definitely the knockback on rapid fire wasn't working on him and he would just walk up and basically one shot me over and over, tried just staying away but I don't have the patience for that :) Difficulty in this game is up and down, weird to feel like you are breezing through and then suddenly hit walls but it keeps it spicy...

Fugu

This game's replayability (on hardcore, anyway), is severely limited by the lack of a well-balanced difficulty.

Veteran is, through and through, a joke for well-built characters.
Elite is the antithesis of fun due to the fact that you ultimately cannot escape the ridiculous proportions of damage. For example, there are many enemies that shoot multiple projectiles. Let's say an enemy shoots six projectiles at once: The expected result would be that each of these projectiles would do a fraction of the damage of a single projectile, but they don't. Each of them will deal enough damage to kill a character in a couple of hits, so you have to dodge all six of them every time. And if you have a couple of enemies shooting six projectiles, then you're going to be waiting for a long time. This also applies to enemies that ground pound, where each section of the ground pound does full damage, so if you are hit from one section of it to another, you will take double the damage that you're supposed to. As well, there are the enemies that charge, which are so dangerous that I would just quit and roll a new map if I got them; the game does not offer a way to reliably fight an enemy that will kill you in one hit, cannot be repulsed, and also reflects projectiles. There are also the enemies that ignore damage mitigation. And the bear traps that deal several thousand damage. And the enemies that can control your character's movement. And the enemies with ground DoTs that kill in a couple of seconds. And the infinitely respawning adds that do almost the same damage as the boss. In short, the fact that there is no adequate amount of building or intelligence that will keep your character from literally being on the verge of death at any given time makes the prospect of playing it on hardcore very unpleasant.

It was fun for a good amount of time but it's back to Diablo 2 for me.

Actually if you have enough range, you can cheese Grom from the railing area without going into the port.
If you have enough range, you can cheese almost every boss (room) in the game. There's only one that I know of that you can't, and it's the one where you spawn on a north-facing platform and you can't see the boss arena.

EDIT: You also obviously cannot exploit the arenas where the monsters spawn in waves (Act 3 arena comes to mind) without some multiplayer tomfoolery.

This game's replayability (on hardcore, anyway), is severely limited by the lack of a well-balanced difficulty.

Veteran is, through and through, a joke for well-built characters.
Elite is the antithesis of fun due to the fact that you ultimately cannot escape the ridiculous proportions of damage. For example, there are many enemies that shoot multiple projectiles. Let's say an enemy shoots six projectiles at once: The expected result would be that each of these projectiles would do a fraction of the damage of a single projectile, but they don't. Each of them will deal enough damage to kill a character in a couple of hits, so you have to dodge all six of them every time. And if you have a couple of enemies shooting six projectiles, then you're going to be waiting for a long time. This also applies to enemies that ground pound, where each section of the ground pound does full damage, so if you are hit from one section of it to another, you will take double the damage that you're supposed to. As well, there are the enemies that charge, which are so dangerous that I would just quit and roll a new map if I got them; the game does not offer a way to reliably fight an enemy that will kill you in one hit, cannot be repulsed, and also reflects projectiles. There are also the enemies that ignore damage mitigation. And the bear traps that deal several thousand damage. And the enemies that can control your character's movement. And the enemies with ground DoTs that kill in a couple of seconds. And the infinitely respawning adds that do almost the same damage as the boss. In short, the fact that there is no adequate amount of building or intelligence that will keep your character from literally being on the verge of death at any given time makes the prospect of playing it on hardcore very unpleasant.

seinfeld.gif

So you can't change the difficulty you started with even after completing the game? If so, that's ridiculous. I started on normal in the demo not realizing my character carried over until I bought the full game. I would have restarted sooner if I had known, but I don't want to abandon my level 43 Engineer.

So you can't change the difficulty you started with even after completing the game? If so, that's ridiculous. I started on normal in the demo not realizing my character carried over until I bought the full game. I would have restarted sooner if I had known, but I don't want to abandon my level 43 Engineer.
Make an internet/LAN game.

L00P

My outlander keeps getting one-shotted by projectiles in NG+ Veteran. It's pissing me off. I thought the missile reflection skill was enough but nope. I guess it is necessary to have distractions(minions) after all. I'ma make my wolf summon shit now. And maybe I should invest some points into the shadowling brute.

And I don't really want to do it at first but I think I should try out multiplayer. I think the higher difficulties is made for it.

Luthos

Just started with an embermage in veteran. Wow, I was so used to engineer, using forcefield and healing bot, that I almost didn't use potions. Got to change my playing style.

Get Death's Bounty. I use it, and I really haven't had to use potions except for late Veteran NG+ where I get hit and I'm suddently at 2% health and I freak out and hit health potion.

Fugu

My outlander keeps getting one-shotted by projectiles in NG+ Veteran. It's pissing me off. I thought the missile reflection skill was enough but nope. I guess it is necessary to have distractions(minions) after all. I'ma make my wolf summon shit now. And maybe I should invest some points into the shadowling brute.

And I don't really want to do it at first but I think I should try out multiplayer. I think the higher difficulties is made for it.
Shadowling brute is garbage. Complete and total garbage. The duration makes it useless.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Shield Bash is fucking ridiculous. With a level 73 shield I'm critting almost as hard as my level 80-something Blitz engineer at level 41.

L00P

Shadowling brute is garbage. Complete and total garbage. The duration makes it useless.
The duration isn't a problem if I put points into death ritual. I put one point on brute and have about 16 seconds duration right now. If I max out death ritual, he'd be practically on the field at all times.

I could go for shadowling ammo instead, but I'd have to kill something first to get one, and you have to rely on chance. At least with brute I can summon it manually.

Anyway, I was right. I can manage to get through the floor without dying now thanks to minions. It really makes a difference when not everyone on the freaking planet is aiming at me

SteveWD40

Having completed a run through, some thoughts (beware spoilers):

The game started off fun as hell, there are loads of builds that can be viable for early / mid game (I was loving my stave outlander), then you hit late Act 3...

The game becomes a min/maxers wet dream, because if you don't go with the safest build and fine tune your gear you WILL get one-shot...a lot. I used the mule to send some respec potions and ended up using the Glaive-Spam spec with a pistol and shield just to get through.

The floors before the last bosses are hell on earth, I just ran through spamming healing potions in the end. The last boss / bosses, killing the boss only to have to kill a more powerful version 2-3 times is a cheap mechanic imho.

The MapWorks is good, so thats nice becasue I am not sure I want to do NG+ as I think I would rather not play through Act 3 again...

As for mods, I am hoping we get:

Daggers, carried the way the sand ninjas in act 2 do (reversed grip) would be cool.
More varied skill build options (bow and xbow passives for example).
Proper respec mod, for skills and points.
Option to unlock the mapworks for new characters with maps starting at lvl 1, so you only have to play-through the campaign once if you like (like the first game unlocked the infinite dungeon for all characters).

MrKaepora

Get Death's Bounty. I use it, and I really haven't had to use potions except for late Veteran NG+ where I get hit and I'm suddently at 2% health and I freak out and hit health potion.

Thanks, will try. When I was playing engineer I was head on with the bosses in a "THIS IS SPARTA!" style, with the embermage, the fights against bosses are more like running from him along the map in a "ohshitohshitohshit" kind of way.

Orlandu84

Death's bounty was definitely a game changer for my embermage as well. After I invested in it, I was able to wade through small mobs without constantly dying all the time.

Top Bottom