• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

diaspora

Not relevant to crack but I was giggling making this.

gqfdAjn.jpg

thabiz

Edit: Why doesn't Ford just do a urine test? If he hasn't done drugs recently (I know some stay in your system longer than others, etc), then he has nothing to worry about.

im sure this will come into play if the tape is released.

with no tape, he has nothing to worry about. why incriminate himself when theres no evidence yet.

Want to see the tape come out. Not sure I'm cool with crowdfundung 200k to give to a drug dealer.

I thought they stopped doing that when one of their friends got shot? Isn't that why they're moving to Calgary?

Well, see, like Ford or not, there is this magical thing called Law.

There's no "narrowly beating the conflict of interest removal", you either win or lose. There's not really a middle-ground.

If he did in fact smoke crack, no one can defend that. But until that has been determined, I see no need to make these assumptions/allegations. Video or gtfo.

Edit: Why doesn't Ford just do a urine test? If he hasn't done drugs recently (I know some stay in your system longer than others, etc), then he has nothing to worry about.
Because there's a really good chance that this story is true? I mean, nothing has come out that makes me doubt the story other than some healthy skepticism. It's only a matter of time that video comes out (if it exists).

jstripes

Banned

There's no "narrowly beating the conflict of interest removal", you either win or lose. There's not really a middle-ground.

If he did in fact smoke crack, no one can defend that. But until that has been determined, I see no need to make these assumptions/allegations. Video or gtfo.

Nah, Ford keeps going because he has this mindless horde of followers who, whenever he does something mind-bogglingly stupid, like him even more.

"Rabble rabble downtown elites gravy train rabble rabble."

zorbsie

I thought they stopped doing that when one of their friends got shot? Isn't that why they're moving to Calgary?

So why is gawker trying to raise that much money? Who is that going to? And call me a cynic but this going to Calgary to start over, just sounds like a load of horseshit. This whole thing just stinks.

Sober

We all need a break from Rob Ford so...........

PANDA PANDA PANDA

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/969669_10101284093184250_771010045_n.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Your avatar makes it feel like Jack Bauer is about to interrogate a panda, or at least yell and ask WHERE IS THE BOMB!

I may have also had my head Kiefer voice say PANDA PANDA PANDA, it sounds amazing.

Boogie

Anthony Weiner broke no laws, but he still ended up resigning from Congress. For better or worse, when it comes to public office, it's not just about the law.

A) coke does not stay in your system longer than about two weeks, tops.

B) because nobody ever beats piss tests, right?

Willectro

Banned
Anthony Weiner broke no laws, but he still ended up resigning from Congress. For better or worse, when it comes to public office, it's not just about the law.

I just mean that he can't be forced out. I think it would take a lot for Ford to resign.

A) coke does not stay in your system longer than about two weeks, tops.
B) because nobody ever beats piss tests, right?

Yea that's true. But do crack users take breaks? Especially those with money, who can buy whatever they need? Besides the crack, he probably wouldn't pass the piss test anyway.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Does anyone have recommendations for good pickup basketball locations either downtown, or on the west end? I notice a bunch of community centres (Keele is pretty close to me, Trinity is close too) have drop-ins at least once a week for adults, but I wanted to see if anybody can recommend one.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Doug Ford said he has never seen Rob Ford doing coke or anything

Whats with all these weak denials

Well, that's about all he could say whether it's true, or if he's trying to cover up. Rob Ford not coming out and addressing it fully is the more disconcerting issue.

Not sure if someone posted it yet, but this list of Ford incidents kind of puts everything in perspective. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...VFocUhERUxzRGJBMFBtVDZHaUE&toomany=true#gid=0

The Star did a less inclusive 'best of Rob Ford' list as well and I made a thread on it. His career is quite.. interesting.. to say the least.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Crackstarter is at $55k. About 25% of their ridiculous $200k goal.

Yeah, I'm not really in favour of biting on the drug dealer's bribe. Even if it means the video never comes to light, Ford has no more power in council to screw up city planning (where he clearing has no idea what he's doing) and he's a big enough fuck up he'll undoubtedly find himself in trouble again before the 2014 election.

You know, I was thinking for the last little bit; and everyone always talks about how the TTC needs more subways and/or streetcars, but I was thinking; why doesn't anyone mention Monorails?

They are cheaper and faster to build than subways because you dont have to spend millions digging a hole just to put the track on, and you dont have to worry about ground obstructions as when just placing the rail on the ground. You also dont have to worry about traffic or anything because they are suspended in the air above traffic. In addition, maintenance would be fairly trivial because you would have access to the entire line at any given time.

Of course unless there are any really bad cons that I can't think of, they could be perfect solution to the transit problem in Toronto.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
You know, I was thinking for the last little bit; and everyone always talks about how the TTC needs more subways and/or streetcars, but I was thinking; why doesn't anyone mention Monorails?

They are cheaper and faster to build than subways because you dont have to spend millions digging a hole just to put the track on, and you dont have to worry about ground obstructions as when just placing the rail on the ground. You also dont have to worry about traffic or anything because they are suspended in the air above traffic. In addition, maintenance would be fairly trivial because you would have access to the entire line at any given time.

Of course unless there are any really bad cons that I can't think of, they could be perfect solution to the transit problem in Toronto.

Is there a chance the track could bend?

Liberty4all

Banned

Willectro

Banned
Yeah, I'm not really in favour of biting on the drug dealer's bribe. Even if it means the video never comes to light, Ford has no more power in council to screw up city planning (where he clearing has no idea what he's doing) and he's a big enough fuck up he'll undoubtedly find himself in trouble again before the 2014 election.

Yea, as much as I want to see the video, I don't want to see 200k go to these assholes. In terms of Ford getting in trouble again, how much worse can it get at this point?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Monorails used sparingly could be okay. There are a plenty of obstacles for building them though. Notably, when you're building downtown space is already a premium. Streetcars might share the road, but they don't require pillars to hold up their tracks. Replacing the 501 streetcar with a monorail for instance would never work. Putting one along a wider street like Front may yield better results, although the area is already heavily covered on the transit map. Even trying to build a monorail on Eglinton in the section where the LRT is underground will be as problematic as Queen St. There just isn't enough space without some insane road widening.

Then when you start looking at wide streets that can accommodate a monorail and that do need transit in the suburbs, especially north / south roads (think Kipling / Islington), you have to contend with building right in people's front yards. That'll bring out every NIMBY on the planet. It COULD work better along Finch and Sheppard, but..

And a flat out downside to a monorail is less stops than an LRT, or streetcar. It's going to be more like a subway at best, where vehicle sharing the road will be able to stop more frequently. Of course, monorail will be better in terms of transit time and avoid plenty of headaches, but it does need to be a long enough line to warrant its existence.

So, that's why I can only see two real fits for the monorail in the GTA. One is the rail link to the airport, which could be done via a monorail. It makes sense, not having to have many stops and it can avoid the mess of highways to get there. The second is Hurontario is Mississauga, although they already have an LRT planned. It's wide enough, busy enough and growing rapidly. You'd be able to keep the cars on the road and have transit. Sadly, the stereotype of the monorail means it was probably really never considered (despite being mentioned in their initial report).

Not meaning to totally shit on your idea, but just thinking about how it would fit in. If we could go back 80 years and build the city differently, then maybe. But if we could do that, I think we'd have a few more subway lines. :p

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Ah, yes. One of those weekends where fireworks go off nonstop and my (not small) dog is constantly trying to crawl into my lap.

Sober

I had a dream I was at the next TO-GAF meetup, but I invited my friend along so we got seated at the lurker's table, because it was all a bunch of generic asians and one really skeevy looking eastern european dude. We didn't really talk so I assume most of the asians were telepathically discussing high-level algebra, my friend kept trying to steal my silverware (I don't know why there would be silverware) and the only time we spoke was the sing the chorus to "Don't Dream It's Over."

Luckily my alarm went off.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Huh. Walked through Eaton Centre today and got a bunch of street passes much to my surprise. I even got some girl some Japan. Surprise surprise she has recently been playing animal crossing

Huh. Walked through Eaton Centre today and got a bunch of street passes much to my surprise. I even got some girl some Japan. Surprise surprise she has recently been playing animal crossing

I've already got like 20 streetpasses in Toronto from Japanese tourists. Always playing Animal Crossing lately.

Top Bottom