• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

explodet

Sushi, jesus H christ

And nail/tanning salons
Remember when pork bone soup really took off? Korea town looked like the recipe had just been leaked and everybody was serving it.

I'm actually surprised there aren't more cafes ripping off Snakes and Lattes by now. That place is still ridiculously crowded every time I pass by.

KohPBFf.jpg

source

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget the 1500 izakayas and ramen places
Nothing wrong with this!

Remember when pork bone soup really took off? Korea town looked like the recipe had just been leaked and everybody was serving it.

I'm actually surprised there aren't more cafes ripping off Snakes and Lattes by now. That place is still ridiculously crowded every time I pass by.
When was this...? :(

Pretty average in this city from the places I've been to.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I also missed the pork soup uprising. Any good places you guys can recommend?

cbox

Lots of people huffing and puffing this morning after getting off the TTC. Understandable, but someone lost their life, need to have some respect for that.

Brinbe

Those daily show clips were fucking amazing, holy crap. Thanks Rob, now when people think Toronto (Or Canada) they'll think blowjobs and crack.

Dyno

That the mayor sat in a council meeting yesterday and didn't address this issue at all is pretty unbelievable. How many of us could go to work with a compelling crack allegation hanging over you, ignore all questions, get your work done, and then go home.

How long do you expect you would keep your job if you said nothing for days?

Willectro

Banned
Lots of people huffing and puffing this morning after getting off the TTC. Understandable, but someone lost their life, need to have some respect for that.

I don't think most people are upset with the person involved, but rather that one incident can happen at one station and the entire subway downtown is a shit show. Thousands of people were late for work because of it, I'd imagine.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Yeah that is peak time. I think my mom was on the subway at that time, hope she made it to work okay.

I don't think most people are upset with the person involved, but rather that one incident can happen at one station and the entire subway downtown is a shit show. Thousands of people were late for work because of it, I'd imagine.

Let's say someone kills themselves by jumping on a track at Yonge and Bloor. They have no choice but to stop all the trains behind it. Not much they can do.

Shitty Subway network design. As city demands increases, the network should scale up to increase redundancy just so that one crippling aspect wouldn't halt the entire system.

Oh well.

Azih

Shitty Subway network design. As city demands increases, the network should scale up to increase redundancy just so that one crippling aspect wouldn't halt the entire system.

Oh well.

Can you imagine the screeching and moaning and wailing about the costs if someone suggested putting down a parallel track on the line?

It's what should be done, and we as a country are rich enough to finance it but damn this place is short sighted.

Roto13

Biomatter emancipation grid above every rail. Any time someone tries to throw themselves on the tracks, they're immediately vapourized before they hit the ground.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Can you imagine the screeching and moaning and wailing about the costs if someone suggested putting down a parallel track on the line?

It's what should be done, and we as a country are rich enough to finance it but damn this place is short sighted.

Indeed. We're basically screwed because of lack of foresight and planning over the past many decades. Both in terms of being able to build new subways and with what to do with the Gardiner.

At least there are some good transit projects underway in the city now. None of them will fix our issues with the subway lines though.

EvQSbdh.jpg

Ford staffers handing out magnets at a funeral.

Willectro

Banned
Let's say someone kills themselves by jumping on a track at Yonge and Bloor. They have no choice but to stop all the trains behind it. Not much they can do.

I'm not saying there's an easy fix, but as AlphaTwo00 mentions below, there are ways to avoid these issues (although planning for them initially would have been ideal). All/Most stations should have 3 tracks: 1 in each direction and a third to allow trains to bypass the station. Yea sure, there is a cost involved, but there is also a cost involved for lost time when there are delays most days. The platforms need doors to prevent jumping/"track injuries" (I think South Korea has this to some extent, iirc). Unfortunately due to budget (among other things), the TTC seems to only look at the near future and not at long term solutions.

Oh well.

Exactly.

I'm not saying there's an easy fix, but as AlphaTwo00 mentions below, there are ways to avoid these issues (although planning for them initially would have been ideal). All/Most stations should have 3 tracks: 1 in each direction and a third to allow trains to bypass the station. Yea sure, there is a cost involved, but there is also a cost involved for lost time when there are delays most days. The platforms need doors to prevent jumping/"track injuries" (I think South Korea has this to some extent, iirc). Unfortunately due to budget (among other things), the TTC seems to only look at the near future and not at long term solutions.

Are the doors for suicide prevention? The example I know of with Hong Kong was that those were installed initially because it was to reduce the cost of AC at each station. Happening to prevent injuries was just a bonus.

Redundancy in my mind was multiple routes serving the same area, so any specific route within the "core" isn't the only route in/out. Even within Canada, both Montreal and Vancouver do that better than Toronto. The proposed DRL line would help, along with Eglington/Shepherd line if they were fully realized.

Researching this is surly depressing.

Azih

That's why the DRL should be high on the priority list. It increases north west redundancy so at least there's some option when one of the north/south lines get screwed as happened today on Yonge.

Still third or even fourth track on same line is awesome. It allows you you to run express trains parallel to the standard service which would do a hell of a lot to relieve congestion and provide failsafes.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Are the doors for suicide prevention? The example I know of with Hong Kong was that those were installed initially because it was to reduce the cost of AC at each station. Happening to prevent injuries was just a bonus.

Whether the intent while installing them is to deter suicides / injury, or not, it still achieves that goal.

cbox

I believe I heard years ago the TTC thought about the door systems, but they'd need automated subways to do that because no operator would properly line up with the doors.

or some BS like that...

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So how exactly would the Downtown Relief Line work? I keep hearing about it but I'm far too lazy to see how it works.

In my mind I see it as a train that just goes from Finch to Bloor to Union to St. George to Downsview and vice versa.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I believe I heard years ago the TTC thought about the door systems, but they'd need automated subways to do that because no operator would properly line up with the doors.

or some BS like that...

Yes, it would be quite a shame if they had to automate the subway system so that it ran faster and cut cost..

Fucking TTC

CP24's Cam Wooley just mentioned that Ford's staff were handing out stuff outside the funeral, he asked for comment on the drug thing and was told to, "have respect"

He just doesn't get it, wow

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Doug Ford just made a statement, it's going to do nothing to get the media off this

He basically said, Rob Ford told him the story isn't true and he believes his brother. He also called out the Star a number of times. And now he's been going on about all the great things Rob Ford has done for the city. Saved money, balanced the budget, record development (attributed to Rob Ford somehow?) and he defeated unemployment apparently.

edit: Calls out Gawker as well. And goes on for a while talking about how his family can't find any peace, as they're constantly harassed.

edit2: Goes on to say this degrading to the Somali community in Toronto. And leaves without taking questions.

This list is just going to piss off the reporters

Blah blah blah we're the victims, how dare you ask about a video of my brother smoking crack

Top Bottom