• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

thabiz

zMDzsBU.jpg

I know this topic gets brought up every couple months but I want some info on Teksavvy. How consistent is it for one thing? but also, the startup costs seem large with buying a modem and setup fees. For the people that have Teksavvy, were you able to get discounts on any of that stuff? Anyone that has some info, feel free to private message me if you don't want to clutter up the thread with more Teksavvy stuff.

i would also like some of this info. dying to get away from Rogers.

sammich

Ive had Teksavvy for over 2 years now. Other than one minor issue, its been smooth sailing. The initial cost may be high, but you are saving that money month to month vs going to rogers anyway. The one time i had an issue and posted on DSLreports i got an immediate answer as to what was happening or what was going to happen. So its all 100% positive on my end.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
zMDzsBU.jpg

I know this topic gets brought up every couple months but I want some info on Teksavvy. How consistent is it for one thing? but also, the startup costs seem large with buying a modem and setup fees. For the people that have Teksavvy, were you able to get discounts on any of that stuff? Anyone that has some info, feel free to private message me if you don't want to clutter up the thread with more Teksavvy stuff.

They let you buy your own modem, and they have a list of them available online - it's a good idea however to get one of the best ones - I'm pretty sure the one I bought is capping my speed now.

I tried bartering, but no luck - it might be that I just suck at it. But if you can find an official modem for cheaper than they offer them, there are some savings.

But if you can find an official modem for cheaper than they offer them, there are some savings.

That is a good idea since the modem seems to be the most expensive of the startup costs. I wonder if the nice folks in the Canadian Gaming Deals thread will help me find a cheap modem or if that is too off topic for that thread?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
zMDzsBU.jpg

i would also like some of this info. dying to get away from Rogers.

I have had nothing but good experiences with Teksavvy in the last three years of using them. The upfront cost is expensive but, at least when I signed up, it paid itself back in savings after less than half a year versus sticking with rogers. Before I was already spending an extra 25 dollars a month on rogers, because we would go over the cap each month and had to pay the overage fee to get "unlimited" data. I don't have that problem at all with Teksavvy since their caps are so high (and I don't think they care unless you REALLY go over their caps anyways). Sometimes they are at the mercy of whatever happens to Roger's system, and most of my problems have been the result of Roger's being dicks (I lost my connection for three days earlier this year because some idiot at rogers flipped the wrong switch at our unit) but communication with their agents have always been good so I'm not really disappointed.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Teksavvy is very good on Twitter and DSLreports for responding to issues right away.

A majority of the time, I'm at home all day and our cable internet is almost never down. Only twice this year can I remember it being down (once last week for half an hour, DNS trouble), which is pretty reliable to me.

I don't have any of their other services, so I don't know about bundling for discounts, or anything else. You're going to be paying roughing the same to Teksavvy, or any other company, although caps is can be the big difference (see Divvy above). The real reason you'd want to switch is for the customer service and to 'get away' from the big telecoms.

I have had nothing but good experiences with Teksavvy in the last three years of using them. The upfront cost is expensive but, at least when I signed up, it paid itself back in savings after less than half a year versus sticking with rogers. Before I was already spending an extra 25 dollars a month on rogers, because we would go over the cap each month and had to pay the overage fee to get "unlimited" data. I don't have that problem at all with Teksavvy since their caps are so high (and I don't think they care unless you REALLY go over their caps anyways). Sometimes they are at the mercy of whatever happens to Roger's system, and most of my problems have been the result of Roger's being dicks (I lost my connection for three days earlier this year because some idiot at rogers flipped the wrong switch at our unit) but communication with their agents have always been good so I'm not really disappointed.

Yeah, Rogers / Teksavvy share a lot of the same basic infrastructure, so it's usually on Rogers if your service with Teksavvy goes out. That's also why you'll probably get a Rogers tech sent out when you sign up with Teksavvy. Of course, when your service does have an issue, I'd much rather deal with Teksavvy than calling into Rogers.

Willectro

Banned
Yes, I know he's not resigning. Don't freak out, Willectro, it's a joke. :p

Haha, naw man.

In regards to Teksavvy, I have the cable 28/1 and it has been great thus far. I had an issue with my connection about 6 months back and after Rogers came to service the line it has been approximately 35Mbps down, 1 Mbps up. I feel like you are paying for TS to deal with all Rogers crap on your behalf.

Divvy

Yeah, Rogers / Teksavvy share a lot of the same basic infrastructure, so it's usually on Rogers if your service with Teksavvy goes out. That's also why you'll probably get a Rogers tech sent out when you sign up with Teksavvy. Of course, when your service does have an issue, I'd much rather deal with Teksavvy than calling into Rogers.

It's pretty infuriating dealing with Rogers at this point. That whole incident earlier this year involved such mind bending incompetence and gall on their part. They noticed that my line had television service activated for whatever reason, so they came over to turn it off. Unfortunately the technician mistakenly turned off both TV and internet, and it took three days for them to send another technician to unflick that switch. THEN they mistakenly turned both TV and internet back on again, noticed their error two weeks later and had the gall to ask me whether I wanted to just subscribe to their TV service since it was on anyways. Thankfully they didn't fuck up flicking that switch the third time as far as I know.

I've been using an @rogers.com e-mail address since forever, it would be such a pain in the ass to update my e-mail address all over the place

Is there a simple way that I am not aware of?

Azih

I've been using an @rogers.com e-mail address since forever, it would be such a pain in the ass to update my e-mail address all over the place

No, no simple way unfortunately. Email addresses have become incredibly necessary too as that's where every site sends their reactivation emails when you inevitably forget the password.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm about to make the change I'm debating between teksaavy, acanac and distributel.

I am aware of the pros and cons from each ans have had testimonials from people who have been on each one for a while.

ZZMitch

Just got my apartment confirmed for next year! My friend is going to be moving in in July and me in late August. Super excited to be living off-residence this coming semester at UofT.

Moving from @sympatico.ca to gmail.com took some time. You need to use both simultaneously for a while to ensure everyone and every website you need to have contact with is using your new email.

Divvy

totally. was at the Stranger the other day, and they have a full counter of crack pipes. I think its only reserved for the true ballers though.

They probably don't want to get weed on their fingers, that's the way these society types smoke their weed
GsdDrbum.png

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Anyone in town ever use a farm share?

We used Good Food Box for a while (I'm assuming Farm Share is similar, Google didn't give me an answer). It was interesting to see what we would get every week, and come up with ideas to use everything. Eventually though, we found out there was just too much filler to warrant it. We couldn't use the amount of carrots and kale they gave us every two weeks, haha. With GFB, we picked up from someone's house who acted as a pickup depot for everyone that participated in our neighbourhood. They have organic only options too.

Divvy

We used Good Food Box for a while (I'm assuming Farm Share is similar, Google didn't give me an answer). It was interesting to see what we would get every week, and come up with ideas to use everything. Eventually though, we found out there was just too much filler to warrant it. We couldn't use the amount of carrots and kale they gave us every two weeks, haha. With GFB, we picked up from someone's house who acted as a pickup depot for everyone that participated in our neighbourhood. They have organic only options too.

Thanks for the info. I've been interested in a while since our neighbourhood farmer's market is pretty bad. I might might try it, but that sounds like something I'm worried about, too much of vegetables I may not use.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Thanks for the info. I've been interested in a while since our neighbourhood farmer's market is pretty bad. I might might try it, but that sounds like something I'm worried about, too much of vegetables I may not use.

Went in doubt about what to make, go with a gigantic stew, or a pot of chili. You can throw almost any vegetable in either. And it's a good way to clean out the fridge!

Divvy

There's a two second video on youtube floating around with Ford smoking a pipe, but it's a fake from a how to create a fake video, uh, video.

Went in doubt about what to make, go with a gigantic stew, or a pot of chili. You can throw almost any vegetable in either. And it's a good way to clean out the fridge!

Good plan. I do love me some stew. 30 bucks for a thing of vegetables seems a bit expensive though. I'll have to mull this over.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
There's a two second video on youtube floating around with Ford smoking a pipe, but it's a fake from a how to create a fake video, uh, video.

Good plan. I do love me some stew. 30 bucks for a thing of vegetables seems a bit expensive though. I'll have to mull this over.

Ours had a variety of boxes in different sizes and contents. You could get the pure veggie box, a veggie / fruit mix, organic, etc. We also opted to only get one box every couple of weeks. Here's the list.

zorbsie

Anyone in town ever use a farm share?

Used to use a service called front door organics, which is a similar service. They had the option to pick alternate veggies if there was something in the basket you didn't like. But I got lazy and we got stuck with mountains of kale. We once got a green pepper with bugs in it. That was when we quit I think.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
It's been taken down already.

It's a fake video, but people think it's the video the crackstarter is trying to get.

zroid

Banned
Went to OSC for Game On today. Was disappointed that I only got 2 StreetPasses despite the place being packed.

The highlight for me was definitely Umihara Kawase!

Guys, Guys... and gals!

I had Swiss Chalet Poutine yesterday. So good.

You can get it with gravy or Chalet sauce. I naturally had it with Chalet sauce. If you buy it on its own you can get chicken mixed in.

thabiz

Guys, Guys... and gals!

I had Swiss Chalet Poutine yesterday. So good.

You can get it with gravy or Chalet sauce. I naturally had it with Chalet sauce. If you buy it on its own you can get chicken mixed in.

hold on just a minute. WITH chalet sauce? surely you jest.

lunch here i come.

cbox

Ughhh, all that rainfall last night flooded my basement. I was maybe 5 minutes away from losing every single one of my electronic devices. Fuck rain man :(

Kunohara

I've been meaning to go. Do you think it's worth the admission?

I actually went with my wife last Friday. It was pretty cool. They had every system there since the very first ones in the 70's. Pretty impressed with that. They did have some obscure games there also. I was surprised to see Deathsmiles there. They had a kinect set up with Child of Eden on a big screen. They had some 3ds and vita's there you can play. 3 pinball machines (only one worked when we were there though). The exhibit is kinda so so in size, but if you were just going to pay admission and see that and nothing else, I wouldn't say it was worth it. If you go to see that on top of the rest of the science centre, I'd say go for it.

Top Bottom