• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Anyone been to the Panera Bread at the corner of Yonge and Edward? I'm meeting a friend there after work. How is it there? Am I wrong to expect something a bit better than Cultures?

They've catered some lunches I've had before. Pretty decent, clean food. Also their boxed lunches are pretty great. But it's your standard sandwich/salad/bag of chips fare.

Willectro

Banned
Yeah I'd rather spend the money to get a new driver and hope for the best than stay with the guy that drove us into a lake.

That's just me though.

I can understand the Ford hate, but the city isn't exactly crumbling as many people here would lead you to believe. You could have the best Mayor ever and the transit, for instance, is still going to be fucked one way or another. An election just isn't worth $7 million (which I'm sure is a conservative estimate) to roll the dice on another politician. You think Vaughan, Stintz, Tory, or Mammoliti are going to do much better? I don't think it's worth the risk to find out the answer was No.

Divvy

I can understand the Ford hate, but the city isn't exactly crumbling as many people here would lead you to believe. You could have the best Mayor ever and the transit, for instance, is still going to be fucked one way or another. An election just isn't worth $7 million (which I'm sure is a conservative estimate) to roll the dice on another politician. You think Vaughan, Stintz, Tory, or Mammoliti are going to do much better? I don't think it's worth the risk to find out the answer was No.

He was going 50 million dollars cancelling transit city for his ludicrously bad plan, and he also brought the horrible tea party brand of politics to Toronto, so I don't consider 7 million is an unreasonable price to pay to get something positive done for a change. Like I said, if someone drove me into a lake, I'm not going to let him try to drive me out of it, I'm going to give the wheel to someone else.

The solution is to let Ford finish his term to avoid pissing away millions. Ford should be fined for the "Conflict of Interest" and be forced to repay the City of Toronto for the $3100 or whatever it was. Solved.

So basically, "Just let the dumb bully pretend he's leader for the next two years, to avoid a costly tantrum, while the city stays effectively leaderless."

thabiz

p4Nzm.jpg

Stet

Banned
If we're judging Miller and Ford based on how many garbage strikes occurred during their terms, we might as well judge them based on how many people were killed by flying signs during their terms. Ford is down one point.

Azih

I can understand the Ford hate, but the city isn't exactly crumbling as many people here would lead you to believe.
It's not crumbling, but the stuff making the city better is actively opposed, and hell almost trashed, by the guy. Things like Transit City (delayed for years and cost extra 50 million for no good reason because of Ford) and the Waterfront revitalization (the bizzare months when Doug was meeting with Australian mall developers to put a monorail and a Ferris Wheel in the Portlands). I will give Ford the contracting out of some more garbage services, let's see how that works out over the next few years.

And yeah, 7 million bucks for two years of a mayor is not a good option. But FORD and FORD ALONE has pushed us to a place where there *are* no good options. Appoint Ford again or appoint Holyday or Tory and let this horrific mayoral term die at its appointed time in 2014.

Lunar, Toronto City Council seems to be able to work just fine by ignoring Ford. The only political segment that is leaderless in the city with Ford in charge is the right wing. The center and the left are just fine and can work together to get things done. And with Shiner, Stintz, Mammo publicly breaking with the doofus and his 'executive council' shrinking Ford commands an even smaller minority. Letting him be an impotent figurehead to his own failure for the last two years of his four year term isn't the worst thing.

Willectro

Banned
He was going 50 million dollars cancelling transit city for his ludicrously bad plan, and he also brought the horrible tea party brand of politics to Toronto, so I don't consider 7 million is an unreasonable price to pay to get something positive done for a change. Like I said, if someone drove me into a lake, I'm not going to let him try to drive me out of it, I'm going to give the wheel to someone else.

You are going to be giving the 'wheel' potentially to Councillors who stood by while this was all happening. It's like cutting off the head off a weed, hoping the roots won't grow back.

So basically, "Just let the dumb bully pretend he's leader for the next two years, to avoid a costly tantrum, while the city stays effectively leaderless."

"Dumb bully"? Really dude? Typical Toronto voter.

"I don't like Ford 'cuz he's a big fat dude who likes football and is dumb 'cuz he's fat and is a bully."

Stet

Banned
Shit, I just realized 9/11 happened on Lastman's watch. How the hell could we let him get away with that!?

Divvy

You are going to be giving the 'wheel' potentially to Councillors who stood by while this was all happening. It's like cutting off the head off a weed, hoping the roots won't grow back.

Well you don't know who I'd vote for and not all councillors are the same either. I sure as hell wouldn't vote for Mammo, that's for sure.

"Dumb bully"? Really dude? Typical Toronto voter.

"I don't like Ford 'cuz he's a big fat dude who likes football and is dumb 'cuz he's fat and is a bully."

Did I say anything about football or his weight? Everything else is a fact.

For dumb, he openly admits to not even understanding stuff he vocally opposes. He chose, on four occasions, to simply not read council handbooks given to him. Unless he has a speech prepared ahead of time he simply won't talk, or just stammers and mutters, repeating catch-phrases.

Bully? He fires, or threatens to fire people who disagree with him. He hurls insults in council and on the radio at anyone who disagrees with him. His face turns red and he starts screaming when he doesn't get his way. How is he not a bully?

I could come up with a bigger list, but I don't feel like it.

Shit, I just realized 9/11 happened on Lastman's watch. How the hell could we let him get away with that!?

...and SARS!

Hey Toronto-GAF,

My soon to be wife and I are planning on moving from the UK to Toronto in February and we'd appreciate any advice/tips.

She got a 2 year secondment with her job so I'm going with her. (I'll need to find a job when I'm there). Her office is in downtown Toronto so we'll be looking to live somewhere nearby.

What are the best places to live that aren't too far from downtown? An apartment/condo type place will do us fine for the first 6 months to a year?

I've read that furnished apartments aren't as common as in the UK , is it worth looking out for furnished? We don't mind unfurnished, it'll just make everything easier.

I'll leave it at that for now but I'll probably have a load more questions later on.

Divvy

Hey Toronto-GAF,

My soon to be wife and I are planning on moving from the UK to Toronto in February and we'd appreciate any advice/tips.

She got a 2 year secondment with her job so I'm going with her. (I'll need to find a job when I'm there). Her office is in downtown Toronto so we'll be looking to live somewhere nearby.

What are the best places to live that aren't too far from downtown? An apartment/condo type place will do us fine for the first 6 months to a year?

I've read that furnished apartments aren't as common as in the UK , is it worth looking out for furnished? We don't mind unfurnished, it'll just make everything easier.

I'll leave it at that for now but I'll probably have a load more questions later on.

Anywhere along the subway lines is going to be a bit pricey but obviously really convenient, just look for neighbourhoods on the map along the routes. I live in North York at the end of a subway line and it's pretty easy to get downtown. Yeah there are less furnished places here, so you have to look out specifically for those.

Dyno

Oh, is there an algorithm to find out the acceptable number of voters who hate you based on time in office?

Well, there was a poll in the Globe and Mail.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rob-fords-ouster/article5665207/?from=5864272

Was the judges' penaly harsh or appropriate?
The penalty is too harsh - 22%
The penalty is appropriate - 71%
Neutral - 7%

As mayor did Ford have a positive or negative impact?
Made a positive impact - 19%
Made a negative impact - 70%
Neutral - 11%

Of course Ford will have staunch supporters, people like yourself and people who went to the Don Boscoe game even though they didn't know anyone on the team. It looks like you're sitting pretty with about 20% of the electorate right now.

As I've said before, I think Ford pulled in a lot of maybe or undecided voters his first time around. Now the public can see the results and they are not pretty, even if you ignore this latest flub. There are more coming, he is up on libel charges and illegal campaign donations. He is basically a triple-thread of political malfeasance at this point.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Ordered myself a nexus 4. Can't wait to get rid of this galaxy s 1!

It was insane f5ing. I managed to order one that will shop in a week and 10min later the eta for orders was 6 to 7 weeks.

daemonic

Banned
Hey Toronto-GAF,

Do you know where about your wife will be working (i.e. major intersection)? What's your budget like for renting? What's the max amount of time you want to commute to work? There are a lot of nice neighbourhoods to live in just outside the city so having a bit more information would really help narrow it down.

Willectro

Banned
Well you don't know who I'd vote for and not all councillors are the same either. I sure as hell wouldn't vote for Mammo, that's for sure.

Well you might make the correct choice, but the majority of Toronto probably won't.

Did I say anything about football or his weight? Everything else is a fact.

For dumb, he openly admits to not even understanding stuff he vocally opposes. He chose, on four occasions, to simply not read council handbooks given to him. Unless he has a speech prepared ahead of time he simply won't talk, or just stammers and mutters, repeating catch-phrases.

Bully? He fires, or threatens to fire people who disagree with him. He hurls insults in council and on the radio at anyone who disagrees with him. His face turns red and he starts screaming when he doesn't get his way. How is he not a bully?

I could come up with a bigger list, but I don't feel like it.

So he is dumb because some Councillors and Media claim that he didn't read a handbook and he isn't great at delivering impromptu speeches? And he is a bully because he is passionate and a bit eccentric? Oh but his face gets red? Well that's pretty bad then.

I sincerely hope you don't vote based on the above.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Ordered myself a nexus 4. Can't wait to get rid of this galaxy s 1!

It was insane f5ing. I managed to order one that will shop in a week and 10min later the eta for orders was 6 to 7 weeks.

My gigantic, overcompensating Note 2 laughs at your Nexus 4.

thabiz

So he is dumb because some Councillors and Media claim that he didn't read a handbook and he isn't great at delivering impromptu speeches? And he is a bully because he is passionate and a bit eccentric? Oh but his face gets red? Well that's pretty bad then.

He admitted under oath that he, himself didnt read the handbook. The only one that said that he didnt read it, was himself.

Passionate and a bit eccentric? Dear god thats funny.

daemonic

Banned
Well you might make the correct choice, but the majority of Toronto probably won't.

Take council and the media out of this. Pretty sure he openly openly admit to not being aware of some of the rules from the handbook. During his trial, he demonstrated complete ignorance when asked about the meaning of a conflict of interest, as well as many of the other rules that come with being the mayor.

Also, threatening people and publicly throwing tantrums is not the same as "being passionate and eccentric".

Azih

So he is dumb because some Councillors and Media claim that he didn't read a handbook
It's not a claim. Ford confirmed, in testimony under oath, that he hadn't read the handbooks because he figured that he knew everything he needed to know since his Dad was a one term MPP.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/09/05/toronto-mayor-ford-removal-challenge369.html

And he is a bully because he is passionate and a bit eccentric?
I don't care how passionate or eccentric someone is there is no justification for an elected official to threaten, scream at, or abuse others.

Dyno

You have such blinders on when it comes to this issue. Do you even read the news?

The TTC Commisioner didn't agree with him on subways. Ford had him fired. The severance for this well-respected and knowledgable vet was nearly 2m of gravy.

The Integrity Commissioner was trying to SAVE HIM by telling him not to vote, the vote that got him fired, afterwards he tried to get her fired too.

How about the reporter he charged at because the guy was outside his property? How about the domestic disturbance on Christmas Eve that the cops had to respond to? How about the many outbursts in council where he is insulting people, yelling at them, telling them he's going to kick their asses? How about the time he got drunk at a hockey game, screamed at two other people with death threats, and then lied about it until evidence was supplied?

Yeah you could say he's been a bully. You could definitely say that he has anger issues at work, at home, and out in public.

Ford being a dumb, ignorant bully is pretty much an indisputable fact. If you choose to put up with that kind of behavior because you like his policies and methods that's totally fine and well, but arguing he's not a buffoon is pretty much impossible.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey Toronto-GAF,

Yeah, at best you'll get some appliances if you rent, but you'll have to get your own furniture and whatnot. Well, unless you sublet, but presumably you don't want something temporary.

Downtown rents are going to be over a grand for a crappy place now though, so...

Willectro

Banned
You have such blinders on when it comes to this issue. Do you even read the news?

The TTC Commisioner didn't agree with him on subways. Ford had him fired. The severance for this well-respected and knowledgable vet was nearly 2m of gravy.

The Integrity Commissioner was trying to SAVE HIM by telling him not to vote, the vote that got him fired, afterwards he tried to get her fired too.

How about the reporter he charged at because the guy was outside his property? How about the domestic disturbance on Christmas Eve that the cops had to respond to? How about the many outbursts in council where he is insulting people, yelling at them, telling them he's going to kick their asses? How about the time he got drunk at a hockey game, screamed at two other people with death threats, and then lied about it until evidence was supplied?

Yeah you could say he's been a bully. You could definitely say that he has anger issues at work, at home, and out in public.

Yes, because the TTC Commissioner was doing a flawless job before he was fired... or not.

The reporter was invading his privacy, probably had it coming.

Anyone can have a domestic disturbance occur and there are 2 sides to every story.

Do you think Ford is the only person who has ever yelled or been threatening at Council?

The drunk outburst at a hockey game was before he was Mayor iirc.

If the media was following you 24/7, I'm sure they could put a negative spin on all your activities. On top of that, how many of these activities affect you personally on a daily basis? Zero.

Azih

You do a masterful job of flat out ignoring some posts Willectro. Like for example the debunking of your implication that it's only a 'claim' that Ford didn't read the handbook provided to all Councillors at the start of their term.

Also are you seriously claiming that firing Gary Webster just a year before he was going to retire ANYWAY costing the city hundreds of thousands extra was a good thing?

Dyno

Yes, because the TTC Commissioner was doing a flawless job before he was fired... or not.

Anyone can have a domestic disturbance occur and there are 2 sides to every story.

Do you think Ford is the only person who has ever yelled or been threatening at Council?

If the media was following you 24/7, I'm sure they could put a negative spin on all your activities. On top of that, how many of these activities affect you personally on a daily basis? Zero.

Apologist Scripture. Wow.

Divvy

Yikes, if you were being serious with that post, then yeah, probably time to shutdown this chain of conversation.

thabiz

I think we should all just follow Willectro's advice when we dont like something.

Lets just round up the Fords, and put them in a camp far away from the city.

Oppo

Yeah. With Ford there is a laundry list of grievances that frankly I find embarrassing as a resident. He's just at odds with Toronto itself. Ford is a walking monoculture.

If I were creating a campaign poster, I would just throw up a picture of Ford with the dumb Quimby sash on with the caption: we can do better than this.

Anyways I have a very strong suspicion that Olivia Chow will indeed run and if she does, she will probably crush everybody. I've worked with her before briefly; the lady is a human laser beam. She's got Jack's legacy to call on, she will campaign huge concentric circles around the Fords, and she will do it on a kitschy vintage bike.

Azih

Isn't Chow an asset to the federal NDP? Toronto needs champions at the provincial and federal levels badly.

Way to side-step every single thing everyone has said since your last post.

Typical Ford defence:

1) Deny anything is wrong.
2) Deny you did anything wrong.
3) Play the victim.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah. With Ford there is a laundry list of grievances that frankly I find embarrassing as a resident. He's just at odds with Toronto itself. Ford is a walking monoculture.

If I were creating a campaign poster, I would just throw up a picture of Ford with the dumb Quimby sash on with the caption: we can do better than this.

Anyways I have a very strong suspicion that Olivia Chow will indeed run and if she does, she will probably crush everybody. I've worked with her before briefly; the lady is a human laser beam. She's got Jack's legacy to call on, she will campaign huge concentric circles around the Fords, and she will do it on a kitschy vintage bike.

Eh, it'll be a downtown vs everyone else fight again if she runs and the numbers don't add up for her.

Willectro

Banned
I think we should all just follow Willectro's advice when we dont like something.

Lets just round up the Fords, and put them in a camp far away from the city.

Yes, because that is verbatim what I said before. The hive mind here is more prevalent than any other thread on GAF. I'm sorry I'm not extreme left like many here. I just think many have jumped on the "let's hate the fat guy because it's cool" bandwagon. I'm not saying Ford is perfect (if I have, retract that), but he isn't the menace that he is made out to be.

Divvy

Eh, it'll be a downtown vs everyone else fight again if she runs and the numbers don't add up for her.

She might get a large part of the Asian vote which is part of the conservative support structure in the suburbs.

EDIT: DAMMIT KURO

Yes, because that is verbatim what I said before. The hive mind here is more prevalent than any other thread on GAF. I'm sorry I'm not extreme left like many here. I just think many have jumped on the "let's hate the fat guy because it's cool" bandwagon. I'm not saying Ford is perfect (if I have, retract that), but he isn't the menace that he is made out to be.

You know, no one has brought up the fat thing more than you.

Azih

I just think many have jumped on the "let's hate the fat guy because it's cool" bandwagon.
It's never a good idea to assume what others think instead of responding to what they actually say. *Especially* when you bring up strawman arguments all the time.

But when you defend the Webster firing you really are defending the indefensible.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
She might get a large part of the Asian vote which is part of the conservative support structure in the suburbs.
You mean dem orientals in the burbs won't vote for her?! D:
It turns out people are smarter than just voting for people who look like them!

Who knew? lol

I suppose it depends on how many (legal) immigrants there are now living in the north. I haven't kept up with demographics in a while.

You know, no one has brought up the fat thing more than you.

It's the "victim" card. A distraction from the facts.

"Poor Robbie. Everyone's picking on him because he's fat. Give him some sympathy guys, he's just looking out for the kids."

thabiz

It's the "victim" card. A distraction from the facts.

"Poor Robbie. Everyone's picking on him because he's fat. Give him some sympathy guys, he's just looking out for the kids."

I like how it went from taxpayers to kids the second he got in trouble.

Top Bottom