• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

I live in the 416, but I still have a 905 number on my phone.

I've had it since 1998, it's a nice repeating series of digits, and I'm not willing to give it up.

S9Qew.jpg

source

krae_man

One good thing about having a phone number with a new area code is nobody every had that phone number before you. No telemarketers, no debt collectors, no "Sally doesn't live here", etc.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
One good thing about having a phone number with a new area code is nobody every had that phone number before you. No telemarketers, no debt collectors, no "Sally doesn't live here", etc.
I signed up for that govt list to not get called. I don't remember the last time I got one. Do get some spam though.

Oppo

You can still get 416 numbers. It's tricky but possible.

It meant something when it was all 416/905... and you had to actually remember people's numbers...but now... not so much.

It's not even that tricky. On Bell for instance if you go to change your number on the website in the morning, I think before 2pm, but yeah better in the morning, there are always 416 numbers available.

My brother got his first phone about half a year ago and he got a 416 number and we live in the 905. I never knew it was considered difficult to get or special. Looks like a meh boring number to me too :p

Hieberrr

When did we start introducing area codes? I vaguely remember not having to punch any in when I was 9-10 years old (10 years ago or so). Or am I just dreaming?!

home phone is 416
cell phone is 647

I'm still not used to seeing 226. I keep thinking they are from some other part of the country outside of ontario.

Oppo

When did we start introducing area codes? I vaguely remember not having to punch any in when I was 9-10 years old (10 years ago or so). Or am I just dreaming?!

Mid 90s I think? I remember for awhile it would connect you anyways but a robot lady would remind you that we have to do 10 digit numbers from now on.

Presco

How do I keep my 416 number if I leave the area for a few years? I'm taking a job elsewhere next year but my wife and I will likely move back to Toronto / GTA in a few years. Can I port it somewhere online to some VOIP service?

Area codes are as old as the telephone. 416 was among the first set introduced in North America.

519 was introduced in the 50s, and 905 was introduced in 1993. Those who were dialling between 416 and 905 were required to start using 10-digits at that point (1993). They sent holographic rulers with fish on them (or something) home with all school kids to remind them to remind their parents. No, I'm not kidding.

In 2001, the 647 overlay in the 416 area code was introduced, and at that point, everyone had to use the 10-digit number including area code, whether in or out of their own code region.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
cam 2nd in the TO angelhack hackathon. helllllsss syeeeyeyeesssssssssss WHOOOOOOOOOOO

TRIP TO SAN FRAN BICHAS

I am rocking 416 in manitoba and alberta.

The American way.

"Local calling areas" apparently don't exist in the US anymore, so people just keep their cell numbers no matter where they move. Nation-wide long distance across the board. I can't wait for the day when people don't ask "Is that long distance?" when I give them my 905 number, but this being Canada, it will be a long wait.

The American way.

"Local calling areas" apparently don't exist in the US anymore, so people just keep their cell numbers no matter where they move. Nation-wide long distance across the board. I can't wait for the day when people don't ask "Is that long distance?" when I give them my 905 number, but this being Canada, it will be a long wait.

I have unlimited calling to anywhere in Canada......as long as I'm in a Wind zone.......which I almost always am

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Psh, I've signed up to those like 5 times already and I keep getting calls from stupid telemarketers. That thing doesn't work man :(
Tell them directly you are on a do not call list and tell them not to call again and that if they do, you will report them and they will get fined.

It's like a 2000 dollar fine per call or something. That's what a telemarketer told me.

I have unlimited calling to anywhere in Canada......as long as I'm in a Wind zone.......which I almost always am

Ya, it's still kinda patchy. Our main phone line where I work tells me Oakville is a long distance call. We're in Mississauga.

This shit's gotta end.

The American way.

I was with wind and now with koodo. no long distance in canada. Get service from better carriers.

goomba

Banned
I'm living in Christchurch, New Zealand. This city was destroyed by earthquakes in 2010 and 2011. It's currently in demolition/rebuild mode.

My contract is up at the end of this month. I'm 32 and can get a Canadian working holiday visa. A working holiday in the UK was the best thing i ever did and considering the state of my home city, I'm thinking of doing another.

Toronto looks like an interesting city and i'd love to be able to see more of the America's.

Any advice from Canada gaf?. How's the IT job market?. I have like 11 years experience in sys admin/support and some website experience.

Top Bottom