• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Any advice from Canada gaf?. How's the IT job market?. I have like 11 years experience in sys admin/support and some website experience.
There are jobs available in IT and there are even IT only job fairs (where there are dicks who check your resume before letting you in even though it may be empty).

Only advice I can give is that the job search here is getting slightly better but it's still rough. If you're here and looking, expect to take 4 to 6 months unless you really specialize in something or know someone who can help you out.

byebye Amesterdam Brewery. The condo boom will spare nothing.

IKrgC.jpg

source

Azih

I'm living in Christchurch, New Zealand. This city was destroyed by earthquakes in 2010 and 2011. It's currently in demolition/rebuild mode.

My contract is up at the end of this month. I'm 32 and can get a Canadian working holiday visa. A working holiday in the UK was the best thing i ever did and considering the state of my home city, I'm thinking of doing another.

Toronto looks like an interesting city and i'd love to be able to see more of the America's.

Any advice from Canada gaf?. How's the IT job market?. I have like 11 years experience in sys admin/support and some website experience.

Toronto's IT market isn't bad but hasn't been immune to the worldwide economic slowdown by any means.

zorbsie

Weather is really crazy. It was perfect weather for my run this morning. But now I'm getting a serious headache from the pressure change. Or maybe it's just a caffeine headache.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'm living in Christchurch, New Zealand. This city was destroyed by earthquakes in 2010 and 2011. It's currently in demolition/rebuild mode.

My contract is up at the end of this month. I'm 32 and can get a Canadian working holiday visa. A working holiday in the UK was the best thing i ever did and considering the state of my home city, I'm thinking of doing another.

Toronto looks like an interesting city and i'd love to be able to see more of the America's.

It's a decent IT market. Better than most cities you'll go to in the Americas right now in terms of stability. But it's highly competitive so you could go a long while without catching on.

It's also a good launching pad to see more cities around Canada and the US. Close enough to drive, or take the train to Montreal, Ottawa, New York, and Boston. You can always fly out of Toronto, or Buffalo too, to visit other cities.

Living in the city can be pretty cheap and if you've visited some cities like London (or San Francisco, Tokyo, etc) you might actually find Toronto very cheap.

explodet

byebye Amesterdam Brewery. The condo boom will spare nothing.
Does that include that abandoned-warehouse-looking building at the corner of Bathurst and Lakeshore West? That's been sitting there as long as I can remember, and is a crazy ugly building.

Does that include that abandoned-warehouse-looking building at the corner of Bathurst and Lakeshore West? That's been sitting there as long as I can remember, and is a crazy ugly building.

That building is being converted to a Loblaws. They are battling with the city to see if they have to preserve some of the facade or the whole building.
I think it's important to keep some older looking brick structures to add some visual diversity to an area that is mostly similar-looking modern condos.

explodet

That building is being converted to a Loblaws. They are battling with the city to see if they have to preserve some of the facade or the whole building.
I think it's important to keep some older looking brick structures to add some visual diversity to an area that is mostly similar-looking modern condos.
I'm totally cool with them keeping the building structure. I guess when I said it was an ugly building I was looking at the broken windows and the stains on the stone.
Blech. Clean that up and you could do good things with that kind of space. And yeah, anything but yet another condo.

Willectro

Banned
I know this was discussed briefly a few pages back, but I think it's something that affects many Toronto Gaffers: Recent Changes to Canadian Copyright Laws - TekSavvy

I gotta say, this is one of the worst things Canada has done in years. These changes fuck the average person while benefiting corporations, but I guess that has become 'par for the course' in Canada (see: Usage based billing, Cell phones, cable, etc, etc). I truly believe that the cream will rise to the top, and those in media who are popular will be profitable. I think these artists/corporations think that people will make more purchases if they don't download, and that just isn't true.

Also, the lawsuits should have to match the original value of the "illegally" obtained copyrighted material. The astronomical figures that they come up with are insane. Canada needs to start catering more to the 'average Joe' and less to corporate interests.

Hieberrr

Just got an email from Google. If anyone is looking for a Nexus 4, Canada just got some stock back and they are going on sale at 2:30-3:00 PM (~12 noon PST).

Azih

How long can the stay be for? Could it be for 2 years? I really don't want to see the shitshow that a by-election would be.

Azih

He's in until Mid-Jan. Appeal is heard Jan 7th.

Blah I have no idea how the appeal can succeed. The law is really clear and Ford really obviously broke it.

If the appeal fails, council should just kick Ford out and then re-appoint him again right after. It's the only way to limit the fallout and keep it from having any unintended consequences in the future.

thabiz

Blah I have no idea how the appeal can succeed. The law is really clear and Ford really obviously broke it.

If the appeal fails, council should just kick Ford out and then re-appoint him again right after. It's the only way to limit the fallout and keep it from having any unintended consequences in the future.

He wont win the appeal. The by-election is another matter. Hopefully TO does the right thing this time, and i think they will. His true colors have shown, and frankly the city is sick of him and his antics.

krae_man

If I was elected Mayor, my first order of business would be to rename the Gardiner Expressway into the Matlock Expressway.

Stet

Banned
All roads would become 1 lane to make room for large bike lanes.

In all seriousness, I think Toronto-GAF would quickly discover that being Mayor is harder than it looks.

We wouldn't know, we haven't seen anyone do it for two years.

Stet

Banned
I really don't understand how that was Miller's fault. The biggest reason you haven't seen a garbage strike is because there's no contract expiration in Ford's term. If he had prevented the strike by cowing to their demands, you'd just be saying he's in the pocket of the unions.

He's in until Mid-Jan. Appeal is heard Jan 7th.

Don't forget how long it may take for a decision to be made on the appeal. That may not happen until mid-spring. If there's a by-election, the closest it will be is late-summer.

Honestly, they should have just put Holyday in as a caretaker Mayor until the whole thing is settled. He at least could have taken care of business. Ford has ZERO influence on council at large at the moment.

Azih

Even I can admit that Ford isn't amazing, but Miller was worse. I haven't seen bags of garbage piling up with Ford in office.

Yeah pointing to a militant union acting insane in the last year of 8 years as a reflection of the entire Miller administration isn't reasonable by any stretch.

Willectro

Banned
I really don't understand how that was Miller's fault. The biggest reason you haven't seen a garbage strike is because there's no contract expiration in Ford's term. If he had prevented the strike by cowing to their demands, you'd just be saying he's in the pocket of the unions.

Wikipedia said:
On September 25, 2009 Miller announced that he would not seek a third term as mayor in the 2010 election, citing family reasons.[2] An Ipsos Reid poll earlier that month revealed that almost 8 in 10 Torontonians wanted Miller replaced as mayor, over dissatisfaction at his handling of the 39-day municipal strike.

I guess you are the 2 in 10 who didn't feel that way.

I guess you are the 2 in 10 who didn't feel that way.

I also recall a poll where Miller would have soundly defeated the rest of the candidates if he had chosen to run again.

Basically, when Miller called it a day, out of all the lousy candidates to replace him, Ford was the loudest.

Willectro

Banned
Telling me how people felt doesn't tell me what the solution is.

The solution is to let Ford finish his term to avoid pissing away millions. Ford should be fined for the "Conflict of Interest" and be forced to repay the City of Toronto for the $3100 or whatever it was. Solved.

thabiz

The solution is to let Ford finish his term to avoid pissing away millions. Ford should be fined for the "Conflict of Interest" and be forced to repay the City of Toronto for the $3100 or whatever it was. Solved.

I seem to recall he was given that option SIX times.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Does he still think he did nothing wrong? lol

Stet

Banned

That's how you avoid a garbage strike?

Willectro

Banned
Just over a quarter of people (26 percent) questioned in a new Nanos Research telephone poll said they would vote to re-elect Ford in a by-election.

Everyone can trot out numbers.

8 in 10 (80%) wanted Miller out. Based on your numbers, 74% of people wouldn't vote for Ford. Therefore Miller was marginally (6%) worse, as I had originally stated.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah I'd rather spend the money to get a new driver and hope for the best than stay with the guy that drove us into a lake.

That's just me though.

Quadratic

Anyone been to the Panera Bread at the corner of Yonge and Edward? I'm meeting a friend there after work. How is it there? Am I wrong to expect something a bit better than Cultures?

Top Bottom