• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

cube444

What's the consensus for "Against the Grain" restaurant/bar? Drove by the one on Laird Dr in Leaside last week and that patio looked inviting for an afternoon beer or two.

zroid

Banned
Went to Ruth's Chris yesterday and gotta say I was disappointed. It wasn't up to their usual quality and the whole time I was there I kept wishing I had bought my own to make at home or had money to go to Jacob's.

:(

I normally go to the Mississauga location, so hopefully their standard has not deteriorated...

I'll likely be going next week.

On that note, what did you order?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
What was wrong with it?

:(

I normally go to the Mississauga location, so hopefully their standard has not deteriorated...

I'll likely be going next week.
Maybe it was an off night? I've been there plenty of times before and it was great but it just felt off this time.

Steaks seemed lacking in flavour so one guess is not enough seasoning and I asked for rare plus but it just wasn't what I usually got (slight char on outside tiny bit of cooked pink and then a warm red) it was just cooked at parts and not at all in the others. I couldn't even finish it.

My wife's was better and while the mushroom side was great the mash also seemed kind of tasteless. It could've been a bad night or it could've been me stacking it up against Jacob's which was far superior.

I need to go back to Harbour 60 to see if it was as good as I remembered. Other than that, I think Hy's is the last well known steak place I've yet to go to. Already been to barberien's and it was OK and Keg mansion was surprisingly good.

Based on last night, I'd rather have grilled my own with steaks from meating on queen or gone to keg mansion.

Edit: bread seemed stale and hard to tear. mushroom with crab meat (bad). Calamari (bad). Mash side (flavorless). Mushroom medley (excellent). Wife had new York medium (good). I had ribeye rare plus (bad).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Lol didn't realize you lived that close to me.

Dropped by Ribfest by Mary Ward, not that great.
I went last year and wasn't impressed at all so I didn't bother this year. How many other north Scarborough people are in here?

Hieberrr

Where can I buy faux moss? I wanna give those mason jar terrarium things a go. I'd rather go to an actual store in the city to pick it out than to order it online.

zroid

Banned
Richmond Hill thing was fun. It was an all-day event, but we just arrived at around 7:30, and went straight for the food and beer, lol. Haven't had a Beavertail in years, so that was nice too.

Had an amazing view of the fireworks. Apparently a lot of people were confused about where they were going to be launched (despite it being mentioned on the map!), so we managed to get one of the best seats in the park while everyone else ended up scrambling the instant the show started, because they realized they were facing the wrong direction. :lol

Might even go again next year!

Richmond Hill thing was fun. It was an all-day event, but we just arrived at around 7:30, and went straight for the food and beer, lol. Haven't had a Beavertail in years, so that was nice too.

Had an amazing view of the fireworks. Apparently a lot of people were confused about where they were going to be launched (despite it being mentioned on the map!), so we managed to get one of the best seats in the park while everyone else ended up scrambling the instant the show started, because they realized they were facing the wrong direction. :lol

Might even go again next year!

Were you at Richmond Green?

388463_10100560452775430_1509232504_n.jpg

Forgot to post a pic

Quadratic

Maybe it was an off night? I've been there plenty of times before and it was great but it just felt off this time.

Steaks seemed lacking in flavour so one guess is not enough seasoning and I asked for rare plus but it just wasn't what I usually got (slight char on outside tiny bit of cooked pink and then a warm red) it was just cooked at parts and not at all in the others. I couldn't even finish it.

My wife's was better and while the mushroom side was great the mash also seemed kind of tasteless. It could've been a bad night or it could've been me stacking it up against Jacob's which was far superior.

I need to go back to Harbour 60 to see if it was as good as I remembered. Other than that, I think Hy's is the last well known steak place I've yet to go to. Already been to barberien's and it was OK and Keg mansion was surprisingly good.

Based on last night, I'd rather have grilled my own with steaks from meating on queen or gone to keg mansion.

Edit: bread seemed stale and hard to tear. mushroom with crab meat (bad). Calamari (bad). Mash side (flavorless). Mushroom medley (excellent). Wife had new York medium (good). I had ribeye rare plus (bad).

Was it the Richmond/ University location? I'm headed there this weekend for a birthday dinner. I appreciate the heads up on what to avoid. I was going to get the ribeye, maybe I should get it medium rare.

Willectro

Banned

Edit: NM, I just saw you have been to Barbarians.

Keg Mansion is my least favorite Keg location. Even Oshawa is better.

I just spend an obscenely long time at service ontario to transfer ownership of a car. Gaddamn yo. I don't think I've ever signed so many forms in my life.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I just spend an obscenely long time at service ontario to transfer ownership of a car. Gaddamn yo. I don't think I've ever signed so many forms in my life.
I had to wait for Service Ontario to renew my health card. When I'm up there, they told me I had the wrong name on my card....

Asked what the fuck they were talking about and they said they had a different name on record. I pull out my driver's license and my previous health card and they still didn't accept it. So I had to go digging for my bloody birth certificate, which I found, but was invalid cause it was laminated, and then thankfully found another one that wasn't. Mom screwed up the forms when she signed them...

zroid

Banned
Since we're on the subject of public services...

I was in a collision yesterday (got rear-ended at an intersection like 300m from my home!) and when I reported the incident this morning... the officers were REALLY NICE. It's actually the first time I've dealt with the police directly outside of that one time I got a speeding ticket. They are a lot more good-humoured than I would have expected. After being stressed out for most of yesterday evening and this morning, it was a welcome respite and relief.

cube444

Since we're on the subject of public services...

I was in a collision yesterday (got rear-ended at an intersection like 300m from my home!) and when I reported the incident this morning... the officers were REALLY NICE. It's actually the first time I've dealt with the police directly outside of that one time I got a speeding ticket. They are a lot more good-humoured than I would have expected. After being stressed out for most of yesterday evening and this morning, it was a welcome respite and relief.

That sucks man. Try and avoid going through insurance if you can.

zroid

Banned
Not possible unfortunately, the damage was pretty bad, and the other driver was not exactly amenable -- she had the gall yesterday to point out I had "ruined her day". The "best" part is I am 4 days away from no longer being classified as a "young driver" for insurance purposes. But since it wasn't my fault -at all-, it should be okay. Thanks for your concern! :)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
A few years ago I was in an accident on my way to work and so I went to the reporting centre. The officer did a Chinese impersonation when I said where it happened and then he said "we get a lot of reports from Chinese people getting into accidents along that street". I couldn't help but laugh at how ridiculous it was.

cube444

Not possible unfortunately, the damage was pretty bad, and the other driver was not exactly amenable -- she had the gall yesterday to point out I had "ruined her day". The "best" part is I am 4 days away from no longer being classified as a "young driver" for insurance purposes. But since it wasn't my fault -at all-, it should be okay. Thanks for your concern! :)

Ruined her day...:lol

I would have snapped if she said that to me.

Fuzzy, I'm guessing you went to the Howden Ave CRC?

I had to wait for Service Ontario to renew my health card. When I'm up there, they told me I had the wrong name on my card....

Asked what the fuck they were talking about and they said they had a different name on record. I pull out my driver's license and my previous health card and they still didn't accept it. So I had to go digging for my bloody birth certificate, which I found, but was invalid cause it was laminated, and then thankfully found another one that wasn't. Mom screwed up the forms when she signed them...
it's pretty much factually impossible to have a good experience at those places.

Quadratic

Anyone eaten at Hapa Izakaya in Little Italy? I have plans to go there next week and wanted to know if there are any "must trys" on the menu.

thabiz

Yea, I can't support him anymore. I can't think of a worse use of transit funding than expanding the subway into Scarborough.

i will laugh my ass off if this is part of his platform in 2014. everyone knows now that these magic funding fairies dont exist.

Oppo

Yea, I can't support him anymore. I can't think of a worse use of transit funding than expanding the subway into Scarborough.

that's the thing that made you decide? out of all the things?

out of so, so many things? ;)

pretty sure Rob Ford could be replaced with a very small perl script at this point, at least in terms of public speaking

jokkir

that's the thing that made you decide? out of all the things?

out of so, so many things? ;)

pretty sure Rob Ford could be replaced with a very small perl script at this point, at least in terms of public speaking

Someone should make a Rob Ford public speaking randomizer like the IGN headline randomizer website.

Mr. F

Banned
Finally had Burger's Priest, I bought into the hype way too hard. I liked it, but it just reminded me of a particularly good fun fair or carnival burger.

my heart remains with Big Smoke.

cbox

i hate to imagine what the subway was like today.

Since they got rid of the older cars ( with the orange seats ) every car usually has the AC on. Though when it's packed the heat from people exceed the AC's capacity and you start to swelter.

God, many years ago on hot days those old TTC cars would come and I'd dread my entire journey home, they just blew the hot air around.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
So it's 9pm and I'm all cottdamn I'm craving an ice cap with milk. So I walk there and what do I see, like a zillion people sitting around tims on the curb and inside doing the same thing.

Great minds think alike. though some of them were eating ice cream from the place next door. Same idea!

Rinoa

Haven't heard great things about Hapa Izakaya on little italy. I work in that area now and have been eating everywhere/everyething in this area. I'm addicted to Fish Store brown rice meals + avocado at the moment.

On a somewhat related note I'm working on a project that needs freelance front end and php developers within a week. If anyone is looking for work or knows someone freelancing right now, lemme know!

Top Bottom