• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

zroid

Banned
Never even heard of Taste of Lawrence before. It's not too far from where I live, kinda tempted to check it out. I suppose it's mainly middle eastern type of food?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Got an inquiry about wedding venues around town.

Two of my friends are getting married and they're trying to find a reasonably priced venue around the GTA for a small ~80ish people reception.

Any recommendations?

trixx

Anybody been to the Taste of Lawrence in recent times? Worth going to?
Went today for about 45 minutes it was pretty good. Lots of food, lots of people, music, fun. I bought a carved out pineapple with pineapple slush in it and Korean BBQ combo. I don't know why I went with the Korean BBQ should have bought some Malaysian or Caribbean food instead.

Any one go to the Ford BBQ last night?

zroid

Banned
Alas, ended up not going to ToL. Maybe for the best, I stepped out briefly and the humidity was murdering me.

Might have gone tomorrow, but I probably won't have time
as it's my b-day :p

cube444

I went to Octagon once, albeit 8-10 years ago. Was a bit underwhelmed. It certainly wasn't bad, but didn't do enough to justify its prices for me.

The owner is the rich tanned old dude with white hair and beard who sits behind the Leafs bench at practically every Leafs home game.

Oppo

Two of my friends are getting married and they're trying to find a reasonably priced venue around the GTA for a small ~80ish people reception.

Any recommendations?

Ryerson. That's where I got married. It's counterintuitive but I had about a 95 person wedding in one of their halls and it was AMAZING. Ridiculous service, huge space, good food, and pretty inexpensive relatively speaking. I really recommend it. We were even partying until 3am there and they let us have an extra hour. I can dig up the name of the specific hall if you like (I think it was Oakham house but not sure), i can't remember it right now.

The owner is the rich tanned old dude with white hair and beard who sits behind the Leafs bench at practically every Leafs home game.

Really?

I've always wondered who that guy is but never checked

I've also always wanted to go to the Octagon since it's not far from where I live, maybe for a special occasion in the next while

Anony

i just biked in the trails/bike paths near pacific mall
such a nice area, huge parks, soccer fields, playgrounds, baseball fields
there's a even a lake/pond with creeks/rivers

Rinoa

Christ it was humid today. Did dimsum, dessert and shopping. A million sales on queen and I went a little overboard at DWND clothing.

cube444

Really?

I've always wondered who that guy is but never checked

I've also always wanted to go to the Octagon since it's not far from where I live, maybe for a special occasion in the next while

Yep. I talk to him at my gym. Also saw him Friday night on the Danforth while I was on the patio at Brass Taps.

:lol @ Manics.

jokkir

i just biked in the trails/bike paths near pacific mall
such a nice area, huge parks, soccer fields, playgrounds, baseball fields
there's a even a lake/pond with creeks/rivers

The one by Mary Ward High School? Yeah, it's a pretty nice trail but way too hot if there's just sun out (I'm assuming your talking about the trail under the power line on McNicol lol)

Divvy

Ryerson. That's where I got married. It's counterintuitive but I had about a 95 person wedding in one of their halls and it was AMAZING. Ridiculous service, huge space, good food, and pretty inexpensive relatively speaking. I really recommend it. We were even partying until 3am there and they let us have an extra hour. I can dig up the name of the specific hall if you like (I think it was Oakham house but not sure), i can't remember it right now.

Hmm that sounds great. I'll tell them to check it out. Thanks!

Alas, ended up not going to ToL. Maybe for the best, I stepped out briefly and the humidity was murdering me.

Might have gone tomorrow, but I probably won't have time
as it's my b-day :p

Happy Birthday!

Anony

The one by Mary Ward High School? Yeah, it's a pretty nice trail but way too hot if there's just sun out (I'm assuming your talking about the trail under the power line on McNicol lol)

yeah that area
i went at like, 8pm
really good weather, there was some sunlight, but it wasnt too hot

then again, i biked from north york to that area at like 5pm, it wasnt that bad

i wouldnt bike at like, 10-4

Hieberrr

Any recommendations?
Palais Royale is really nice. The patio is absolutely fantastic in the summer.

Zereul

Neo Member
I've been to a couple of weddings (and also had my prom at) Fantasy Farm, on Pottery rd. It recently went through a little makeover, I'm not sure how the price are though.

Any recommendations?

I'm getting married in the spring, will be a pretty small (70-80 people) event and we're doing it at the Metropolis Factory: http://www.metropolisfactory.com/

It's $5000 for just the venue though so it's not cheap.

Other places we liked/looked at were the "Castle" at De La Sal College: http://www.flipkey.com/toronto-castle-rentals/p531953/

and Helconian Hall: http://heliconianclub.org/rentals/

krae_man

Palais Royale is really nice. The patio is absolutely fantastic in the summer.

Sony had their Holiday preview event there last year. It was swanky. My Grandpa said hit used to be a roller skating rink and he took girls on dates there in the 50's :lol

Willectro

Banned
In Toronto, losers are winners: Hume

8wZWeMa.jpg

Eleuin

Rain right now is monsoon level

The rain started just as I was about to get on the bus. I had to run less than a block from the stop to my house and I still got drenched. The amount of water being splashed onto the sidewalk was ridiculous.

Stay safe guys

in Mississauga right now (near Pearson airport) been raining non stop for a good 40 minutes. Never seen such continous rain in Canada before

Roto13

It's nuts here downtown, too. Worse than yesterday, even. My poor husband went out to get groceries shortly before it started. Hope he hasn't drowned.

Appleman

Biked to work today because I foolishly thought I was in the clear. Now stranded at work. Why can't we get one bloody nice day this summer?!

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Apparently people are losing power downtown, just had a few of my friends just tell me.

Front St. by Skydome and another by Pape and Danforth.

explodet

I'm in the PATH right now and nobody's got power from King and Spadina to St. Andrew station. I can't see anybody who does have power.

Think it's Blackout II The Darkening?

Sober

Hear there are a few spots where the power is out in Markham, but I'm okay for now.

So much for being the thunderstorm to end this stupid humid streak. It gave up 30 minutes in. Time for more humid shit tomorrow.

zroid

Banned
Hear there are a few spots where the power is out in Markham, but I'm okay for now.

So much for being the thunderstorm to end this stupid humid streak. It gave up 30 minutes in. Time for more humid shit tomorrow.

uh oh :(

Things are ok in my neck of Markham as well... for now.

Divvy

Traffic lights are all dead around town. Subway is down. There's flooding and popped water pipe all over town.

It's the goddamn apocalypse people

Top Bottom