• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Roto13

Someone (I'm assuming the super) started panting the halls or the stairwell of our building at like 10PM last night. What the hell.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
A bit late. It's at a bank, your typical software stuff.
Software stuff at a bank you say?

supermaniiib46.jpg

Quadratic

The power button on my iphone 4 is now stuck. Apparently it's a big problem and there's a pending class action lawsuit about it.

Anyways, I need to get it fixed. I'm using the gesture workaround currently but I want to get this repaired.

My question is if anyone has used irepair.ca to get their mac stuff serviced out of warranty? I'm reading yelp reviews and they all vary wildly from excellent to crap.

The power button on my iphone 4 is now stuck. Apparently it's a big problem and there's a pending class action lawsuit about it.

Anyways, I need to get it fixed. I'm using the gesture workaround currently but I want to get this repaired.

My question is if anyone has used irepair.ca to get their mac stuff serviced out of warranty? I'm reading yelp reviews and they all vary wildly from excellent to crap.

I had my iPhone 4 for three years and never experienced a stuck power button. Never heard of the issue until just now. Fascinating.

Quadratic

Yeah I never heard about it until I was researching how to fix it myself. Basically you need to do almost a complete tear down to access the part. A lot can go wrong along the way and since I would need to buy the part and all the screwdrivers and tools I figure I may as well get someone who's experienced working with iphones to work on it.

A link to the lawsuit is here is you're interested: http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...get-of-new-class-action-lawsuit-against-apple

jcutner

Ah, okay. I've never seen Office Space.

You should remedy that. It dawned upon me once at work that my cube mates were named Peter, Mike and Samir. I shit you not. (This will only make sense once you've seen the movie)

When I came upon this realization and told them - it was when they told me the horrifying fact that none of them had ever seen Office Space.

Azih

You should remedy that. It dawned upon me once at work that my cube mates were named Peter, Mike and Samir. I shit you not. (This will only make sense once you've seen the movie)

When I came upon this realization and told them - it was when they told me the horrifying fact that none of them had ever seen Office Space.
Did they then see it?

Brinbe

you know what you have to do, right?

Then again, I think it's probably more popular in the States because Comedy Central over there would repeat that movie all the fucking time.

And really, Idiocracy probably hits too close to home to be properly appreciated by the masses.

Median

Guys any advice for a good restaurant/cafe to take a first date to?

I usually resort to somewhere in Yorkville for first dates, (Remmy's, Hemingways') but I am not a wealthy person and hate to give the impression to my date that I frequent Yorkville...Because I don't, I just don't have any better ideas for a place on a first date...

So what say you TO GAF, I am looking at 20-25 dishes max, nothing too expensive, I don't even know why I want to spend money on her and buy her dinner on a first date.. one of my Achilles heels, being a stupid sucker and spending cash on women, that I will most likely see once or twice...

Anyway enough about my pathetic self....

Please suggest me good restaurants all over downtown for a first date, noting expensive...

I'm late on this one, but I really like The Monk's Table on Yonge just north of Summerhill http://www.themonkstable.com/

Sober

How did I just notice Johnny Cage is a member of TO-GAF? Just makes his posts doubly hilarious because it's happening right in our backyards.

Can you guys recommend any good health food stores? I'm on a health kick right now and my local supermarkets don't have anything I'm looking for like nutritional yeast, vital wheat gluten, organic tofu, egg replacer...

Quadratic

Got my iphone repaired at the irepair.ca branch near Greenwood and Danforth. Less than 50% off the apple store quote and finished within an hour for my broken power button.

There's a ton of bad reviews on Yelp but personally I had a great experience so I wanted to share that here.

Willectro

Banned
Got my iphone repaired at the irepair.ca branch near Greenwood and Danforth. Less than 50% off the apple store quote and finished within an hour for my broken power button.

There's a ton of bad reviews on Yelp but personally I had a great experience so I wanted to share that here.

Part of the reason I'm done with Apple when my contract is up on my iPhone 4. They charge a premium for all their products but there is almost no support, even when you have the stupid Apple warranty. Fuck them and their terrible business practices.

Quick

Banned
Part of the reason I'm done with Apple when my contract is up on my iPhone 4. They charge a premium for all their products but there is almost no support, even when you have the stupid Apple warranty. Fuck them and their terrible business practices.

What happened to you? Apple's usually pretty good with their service. You get a one-year warranty, expandable to three years if you pay up.

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling twenty two. but I've had my various Apple devices looked at, and appropriate action was taken.

My iPhone recently had an issue. I was told to do a reset to see if it fixes it, and come back if it doesn't. It didn't, I came back, they had my case on file, I got a new phone. Took about half an hour overall. That's with my Apple Care.

My Macbook Pro screen broke, and they took it in for repairs. A week later, brand new, working screen. Also thanks to Apple Care.

Years ago, I had to call them up to replace my iPod due to a smashed screen. They sent me a new one, I sent mine back. No Apple Care, no problem.

Not going to defend the premium prices (they are pretty fucking pricey), but they've done their job servicing my Apple products.

Quick

Banned
http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthread.asp?fid=1&threadid=109523

Love Urban Exploration. Wish I had the time (and balls) to do more of it.

Same here.

One thing I'd love to do is look inside Maple Leaf Gardens before the renovation. There was a video of CTV going inside and looking around without having anything switched on or prepared for them to go through.

There's been a few people who were able to look inside the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium before it was torn down. Those pictures fascinate me.

Appleman

Yeah, what? I've had literally zero bad experiences with Apple's customer service, and have hardly ever heard of any bad experiences short of them charging for an out-of-warranty repair (which the sometimes don't even charge for). My friend shattered her iPhone 4S by dropping it when it was out of warranty and they replaced it for free in 20 minutes despite the fact that it was user error and out of warranty.

Say what you want about their upfront prices but I've never encountered better customer service.

Willectro

Banned
What happened to you? Apple's usually pretty good with their service. You get a one-year warranty, expandable to three years if you pay up.

Macbook Pro related (although I am done with them in general). Stock 2011 MBP was running extremely hot. Hotter than most people had reported. It was bordering on being able to fry an egg on the underside. At that price point, I don't have patience for these types of issues. Apple Geniuses (read: Assholes) wouldn't do anything for me. Wouldn't take it apart to check for manufacturing defect or thermal paste issue, wouldn't investigate any OS issues, wouldn't exchange for a refurb. Nothing. Basically told me that it isn't a laptop, so not you use it on my lap (what the fuck, still doesn't solve the issue of the keyboard being hot?) and to maybe buy a plastic snap on protector for it. Apparently the temperature monitors are inaccurate as well (lmfao). They also told me how advanced the CPUs are and this is normal (sounds like a design flaw to me). I'm sorry, but the price vs. performance is lacking so I would expect everything else to be stellar, but it's not. To each his own I guess, but I won't be buying Apple's shitware again.

Willectro

Banned
Yeah, what? I've had literally zero bad experiences with Apple's customer service, and have hardly ever heard of any bad experiences short of them charging for an out-of-warranty repair (which the sometimes don't even charge for). My friend shattered her iPhone 4S by dropping it when it was out of warranty and they replaced it for free in 20 minutes despite the fact that it was user error and out of warranty.

Say what you want about their upfront prices but I've never encountered better customer service.

And this is my other issue with their support: there is no equality. You catch the wrong person at the Apple store and they aren't going to do fuck all for you.

Quick

Banned
Macbook Pro related (although I am done with them in general). Stock 2011 MBP was running extremely hot. Hotter than most people had reported. It was bordering on being able to fry an egg on the underside. At that price point, I don't have patience for these types of issues. Apple Geniuses (read: Assholes) wouldn't do anything for me. Wouldn't take it apart to check for manufacturing defect or thermal paste issue, wouldn't investigate any OS issues, wouldn't exchange for a refurb. Nothing. Basically told me that it isn't a laptop, so not you use it on my lap (what the fuck, still doesn't solve the issue of the keyboard being hot?) and to maybe buy a plastic snap on protector for it. Apparently the temperature monitors are inaccurate as well (lmfao). They also told me how advanced the CPUs are and this is normal (sounds like a design flaw to me). I'm sorry, but the price vs. performance is lacking so I would expect everything else to be stellar, but it's not. To each his own I guess, but I won't be buying Apple's shitware again.

Sorry to hear, and being the owner of a 2009 model, shit does get pretty fucking hot.

I guess they're waiting on actual damages or defects to manifest visibly before they replace it.

You could try giving their customer support a call and see what they say about the matter. You could probably ask about getting it replaced at the Apple Store with written confirmation to do so by customer support, since they wouldn't do it the first time.

now Ford wants a new dedicated football stadium with seating for 35,000. this guy must be on drugs.

Weren't there talks of a dedicated football stadium some time pre-Ford to potentially have the Bills relocate here? Either he knows something we don't on that matter, or he's banking on the Bills relocating soon. I don't think that's happening anytime soon.

thabiz

Weren't there talks of a dedicated football stadium some time pre-Ford to potentially have the Bills relocate here? Either he knows something we don't on that matter, or he's banking on the Bills relocating soon. I don't think that's happening anytime soon.

this stadium hes proposing is way too small for the nfl. he says we won the grey cup so we should have a new stadium. lol.

"We need a football stadium, especially after winning the Grey Cup."

it will only cost the city 200-300 million.

zroid

Banned
Noticed some people talking about Schwartz's in the Canadian deals thread, and I guess I never thought to ask before, have you guys been to any good delis in the GTA? I'm a big fan in particular of Centre St. Deli and Moe Pancer's.

Shopsy's and Wolfie's are pretty great as well.

Quadratic

I'm long past my iphone 4 warranty. I've had no issues with apple while under their warranty. This is just an anecdote but Apple fixed my 2 year out of warranty plastic case macbook crack for free because of a known defect with their cases. I do agree it's hit or miss with Apple because they gave me the run around with my broken ipod touch.

I'm invested in their app/music ecosystem so they're going to be my next phone.

I'm just glad there's alternatives to official apple store service.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Noticed some people talking about Schwartz's in the Canadian deals thread, and I guess I never thought to ask before, have you guys been to any good delis in the GTA? I'm a big fan in particular of Centre St. Deli and Moe Pancer's.

Shopsy's and Wolfie's are pretty great as well.

Oh man I'd kill Kuro for a sandwich from Schwartz's right now.

Quadratic

So has anyone else said "Fuck it" to the line outside Schwartz's in Montreal and went across the street to Main Deli and had a very comparable sandwich?

Boogie

Todd "the Douche" Shapiro finally turfed from the Edge.

Maybe I'll actually start listening to the Dean Blundell Show again now.

.....naw. Think I'll stick with Biggs and Barr in the mornings.

I expect SOMEONE will be buying us a round at the next meet up?

Wait, I think you bought us a round last time anyways...now I can't remember since IT'S BEEN SO LONG!
dammit, kraftwerk!
never bough a round, but I did promise I will buy one next time we meet, whenever the hell that is.

zroid

Banned
So has anyone else said "Fuck it" to the line outside Schwartz's in Montreal and went across the street to Main Deli and had a very comparable sandwich?

Only been there once, so no I decided to just wait in line. :p

I've definitely heard from people that the other place is also excellent, so might try that next time I'm in Montreal.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
On the way home today I was flipping through the stations when I remembered that the new indie station was supposed to start soon so I tuned into 88.1. When I did so I caught the end of a song that I thought was a strange choice for an indie station and what was even weirder was that they played the same song again. I couldn't help but listen to it to see if it would happen again. After the song ended they said something about getting ready to launch the station in 6 days and then announced something along the lines of "here's another hit" and then they played the same song again. 88.1 fucking
Rick Roll'd
me and everyone else. :lol

July 31st at noon they finally launch.
http://countdown.indie88.com/

Macbook Pro related (although I am done with them in general). Stock 2011 MBP story.
Well, I have a counter to it, somewhat. Stock 2011 (early 2011) 13" MBP, which I was using for Xcode dev. Fan often goes nuts whenever I'm compiling, and I've always written it off as a CPU max issue (and it is, Xcode will eat up all the threads and 4GBs of RAM if you let it). The fan is loud, but since I don't put it on my lap, not a big issue. (I've heard that it's pretty much the major, and only defect with that gen of MBPs).

Within the first year, when upgrading to Lion, the HDD completely crapped out. Took it to the store, no questions asked, gave me a new drive, and recovered the existing drive. Didn't even have to pay for apple support (covered within the first year).

Are they pricy for what the guts are? Yeah, but then you gotta ask when you're getting a Mac in the first place. I didn't have much of a choice given the need to build and deploy on a mac.

Willectro

Banned
Well, I have a counter to it, somewhat. Stock 2011 (early 2011) 13" MBP, which I was using for Xcode dev. Fan often goes nuts whenever I'm compiling, and I've always written it off as a CPU max issue (and it is, Xcode will eat up all the threads and 4GBs of RAM if you let it). The fan is loud, but since I don't put it on my lap, not a big issue. (I've heard that it's pretty much the major, and only defect with that gen of MBPs).

Within the first year, when upgrading to Lion, the HDD completely crapped out. Took it to the store, no questions asked, gave me a new drive, and recovered the existing drive. Didn't even have to pay for apple support (covered within the first year).

Are they pricy for what the guts are? Yeah, but then you gotta ask when you're getting a Mac in the first place. I didn't have much of a choice given the need to build and deploy on a mac.

Oh god, Xcode development on that? You deserve a medal of some sort.

But a loud fan and maxing a system that cost that much is acceptable to you? I know some people are fine with it, but I guess I was naive to think that things like that wouldn't be an issue at that price point. Seems like you are paying a lot for a limited OS and a fancy looking laptop portable computer status symbol. I guess I'm just mad at myself for getting fleeced by Apple's marketing.

Oh god, Xcode development on that? You deserve a medal of some sort.

But a loud fan and maxing a system that cost that much is acceptable to you? I know some people are fine with it, but I guess I was naive to think that things like that wouldn't be an issue at that price point. Seems like you are paying a lot for a limited OS and a fancy looking laptop portable computer status symbol. I guess I'm just mad at myself for getting fleeced by Apple's marketing.
In early 2011, this was pretty much my best bet at a budget system that can do xcode. It holds up well to this day (although RAM does hurt).

For power users, I rarely recommend a mac because they'll usually find things awkward and annoying moving from Windows and such, and of course, that price point. But I can see a specific subset of people that I wholly recommend to. It's no different than the iPhone/Android debate: some people would be much better off with a close and limited system that automate and simplifies things for them.

Top Bottom