• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBWAYS SUBW---

OceXXbs.png

buuuuut the DRL doesn't really go Dow ah fuck it

Kunohara

Anyone else sick and tired of all the fucking construction going on. I swear it has never been this much all at one time in recent memory. Maybe it's just me. I don't just mean specific plays downtown, I even mean the GTA. Seems like everywhere I drive I'm forced into one fucking line for a stretch because of it, or I'm taking detours, or SOMETHING.

/rant

I live around the corner from the 404. I take it south to go to 401 west every morning. Since the beginning of August I think, the 401 west express ramp there has been closed for construction, which means everyone is going into the collectors, which means it is busy as shit every day, and then everyone is trying to move over to the express, causing more build up.

I feel you man.

Kraftwerk

If I didn't need my phone for more than emergencies, I'd go with Wind. For now I have constant WiFi at home and school, never make phone calls, have a $5 add on for texts which I never use because everyone I know uses what's app, and it costs me $10 prepaid on Rogers. My balance is like $25 cause I always have $5 leftover that I never use. Allows me to buy a day or weekly data pass from time to time as well if I'm out and about away from WiFi.

So Krafty can get it unlocked and go there. I hope they're still round in 2 years

Pretty sure there are HTC One's that work with Wind

All these problems and I just switched to Rogers. I say unlock and go with someone else. Not sure if One is supported by Wind but Wind is awesome and you can just get a cheap nexus 4 or hell I'll sell ya mine and you can go to wind

I'm very happy with koodo. Seriously. You'll get 10% of their rates too if you're bringing your own phone in.

Their 40 dollar plan becomes a 36 dollar plan if 200 daytime minutes (no unlimited incoming) and 200 MB data is fine by you (but unlimited everything else). 50 bucks (or 45) gets you way more daytime and unlimited incoming.

Edit: They've got some refer a friend program if you do decide to go with them. Not sure exactly what it does but if you're up for it I wouldn't mind referring you.

Sweet. Thanks for the info. I'll check these out.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I live around the corner from the 404. I take it south to go to 401 west every morning. Since the beginning of August I think, the 401 west express ramp there has been closed for construction, which means everyone is going into the collectors, which means it is busy as shit every day, and then everyone is trying to move over to the express, causing more build up.

I feel you man.
Even at ~6am it's pretty busy through there, I'd hate to start work later than that. One good thing about where I'm working right now (York Mills Centre) is that I'm there in 15 minutes in the morning.

zroid

Banned
Hahaha the Pokémon event was craaaaazy. My terribad "costume" didn't get me anything (lol) but 120+ StreetPasses were reward enough. :p

Sober

So much for showing up early. Local FS didn't even have them out the sales floor yet lolwhat. I'll just check back after my shift it try the Walmart later.

Quadratic

Pokemon fever. Did everyone get X?

I'm going over to Shoppers Drugmart on my lunch to get a copy because FS is not scheduled to deliver until Wednesday.

Sober

Actually my local FS does have X/Y but with now it looks like they are keeping it just for preorders and maybe tastings trade-ins. I should just walk up and ask to trade my money in for a copy of Y. (bad joke alert)

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I got Y because I want a Heracross of my own.

Also gotta say I love the worldwide release, I can admit I tend to check online to see what pokemon are in what area ahead of time before I start. At least for the first few days here you're on your own figuring out what's in what area.

I get those nostalgic feels of the blue/red days when you knew nothing about which pokemon was best and if you missed a pokemon the only way you'd know is if a buddy caught a rare one in a specific area.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Actually my local FS does have X/Y but with now it looks like they are keeping it just for preorders and maybe tastings trade-ins. I should just walk up and ask to trade my money in for a copy of Y. (bad joke alert)
My local Future Shop apparently knew nothing about Pokemon. They didn't have any out on the floor when they opened this morning and tried to tell the guy ahead of me that it didn't release until tomorrow. Had to point out that their in store signage said it released on the 12th for him to go pull it out of the back. :/

Anyone know the cheapest place to get a Nexus 4 off-contract that's close to what Google was selling it for on their Play Store? (Around $250-ish)

Factory Direct usually has many cheap unlocked phones. Not sure if I saw a Nexus 4 there though, it doesn't appear to be on their website.

Sober

Went back to the FS, not even a copy or display in sight, so I went to the Wal-Mart down the street and got it in less than 5 minutes. Oh FS.

Rinoa

buuuuut the DRL doesn't really go Dow ah fuck it

Someone should force him to ride yonge during rush hour back and forth everyday for a year.

The construction lately is insane, my commute is over an hour and a half, on average should be 45mins. According to google maps 35mins. All because streets are forced into one lane/detours. People say that there are political reasons behind all this construction.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Just caught Snorlax, fuck I have like 9 pokemon I want to use now, it's always like this!

I end up rotating teams.

edit: Also mufucking honedge!

I stopped by the Xbox One truck yesterday and wow Killer Instinct is so much more fun than I thought it would be (even after reading positive impressions on GAF, I was still skeptical, but no more). A friend and I showed up towards the end and there were barely any people there, so they let us stay on the station for the remaining hour, so we got a good feel for the different characters and had some amazing matches. Plus it let me get a good feel for using the controller for a solid gameplay session, and I'd say the controller lived up to the hype, too.

Now I wish I hadn't gone. I don't want to buy an Xbox.

And Forza sucked.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Someone should force him to ride yonge during rush hour back and forth everyday for a year.

The construction lately is insane, my commute is over an hour and a half, on average should be 45mins. According to google maps 35mins. All because streets are forced into one lane/detours. People say that there are political reasons behind all this construction.
I wonder if the reasons are all green as money and not environment

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hey Meatball
912 Queen St East

The original place was featured on Diners, Drive ins, and Dives and this new location opened up about a week or two ago.

Service: friendly but inefficient. Their menu is on a chalkboard and the sandwiches are all named so you have no idea what you're ordering, so the cashier has to tell you what each of them are. While it's a nice touch I wouldn't want to go during a busy time cause it would take forever. They call out your name for your order instead of bringing it to you and you also have to put away your own dishes. While I got no problem with this, it's just another example to me that they really need to overhaul how they set this place up cause the customers there were confused

Decor: I liked the benches and the whole set up. The pickled veggies on the wall are a nice touch and seeing the chef right there make the food fresh to order is always a plus in my book.

Food: I ordered the Rodfather and my wife had the Mac and Cheese. We also ordered two lime sodas that the cashier said was homemade. The Rodfather is just a meatball sandwich and I thought it was only ok. The sandwich quickly got messy and I didn't see an area to wash the sauce off my hands. I did like how the sauce wasn't too zesty and added to the meatball instead of overpowering it, but I also felt the meatballs could've used a touch more seasoning. The salad that came with my sandwich was very good and the pickled veggies on it really added to the flavour; I kinda wished there were more in there.

My wife's Mac was excellent on the other hand. A good warm cheesy taste that mixed surprisingly well with the meatballs. I had more of hers than I should have and it makes me wish I had tried the rigatoni instead of my sandwich.

The sodas were ok. The wife felt they were too sour, but I enjoy a good lime drink with sourness.

Overall: We paid 30 for both of us and I give it a thumbs up and my wife gave it a 9/10. It's not a place you should go out of your way to try but a nice place I'll come back to when I'm in the mood for something filling.

I think anyone who is responsible for transit and transportation policy should be required to rotate their method of commuting transportation on a regular basis: car, bus, rail, cycle, and walk. We need more people with an understanding of just how different one's experiences can be depending on the mode of transportation - and where and how far you're coming from.

My commute is an 100 mins+ on a good day. I can't wait until the real inclement weather hits.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Playin the pokemonz instead of finishing that PHD.
Indeed. lol

Yeah, he targeted Ward 43 in Scarborough to tell them that their councilor Paul Ainslie (who just quit his executive committee a few hours earlier) voted against the subway. Ainslie changed his mind because he thought LRT was the better option.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...llor-1.2021463
Yeah. lol
This is such strange thug politics. Maybe I just never paid attention during the Lastman or Miller eras, but this just seems so unprecedented.

Indeed. lol

Yeah. lol
This is such strange thug politics. Maybe I just never paid attention during the Lastman or Miller eras, but this just seems so unprecedented.

For a Toronto mayor, it is. These types of calls are equivalent to ten percenters that are pretty common in Federal swing ridings.

If Ford is hell-bent on being a dick, let him. At some point, even his supporters will recognize he's digging his own grave and tire of his inability to work with anyone other than his brother and his lawyer.

At the same time, he does get to legitimately claim that he's brought a substantial three-level investment to transit in Toronto. I may hate to admit it (and I don't entirely agree with the transit priority on which it will be spent,) but that's no small feat. It's points like those that make it hard to hate his mayoralty outright, even if you're no fan of the guy.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
For a Toronto mayor, it is. These types of calls are equivalent to ten percenters that are pretty common in Federal swing ridings.

If Ford is hell-bent on being a dick, let him. At some point, even his supporters will recognize he's digging his own grave and tire of his inability to work with anyone other than his brother and his lawyer.

At the same time, he does get to legitimately claim that he's brought a substantial three-level investment to transit in Toronto. I may hate to admit it (and I don't entirely agree with the transit priority on which it will be spent,) but that's no small feat. It's points like those that make it hard to hate his mayoralty outright, even if you're no fan of the guy.
So he's like Chris Farley of mayors?

edit:

also, lol kave_man
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86037271&postcount=18

Willectro

Banned

Yea fuck him. If the options were Scarborough Extension or nothing, I would choose nothing. The Scarborugh crowd can stay in Scarborough. Fuck, what is next, Pickering subway?

Top Bottom