• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
6-1 TO START THE SEASON!

ilxZzZo0m7H01.gif

jstripes

Banned
So, Rob Ford is outraged about a city employee caught sleeping on the job, and says he should be fired.

I agree.

Rl0bEMw.jpg

(Does he even fucking think before he speaks?)

Sober

So, Rob Ford is outraged about a city employee caught sleeping on the job, and says he should be fired.

I agree.

http://i.imgur.com/Rl0bEMw.jpg[IMG]

[B](Does he even fucking think before he speaks?)[/B][/QUOTE]
Very few, if any, politicians do.

Anyone use an OTA antenna? I was just playing around with some speaker wire. Literally cut maybe 2 feet of speaker wire and stripped the plastic off one end and inserted the wire into the coaxial input of my TV and I'm getting 7 channels in crystal clear HD. I wonder what a proper heavy duty antenna outside on my roof would get me. I haven't had cable for 2 years and don't miss it but kind of cool to be able to watch CBC on Saturday for Leafs games.

I'm near the airport and this is what I get with a shitty old speaker wire:

CBC HD
CTV HD
TVO HD
CBC French HD
Global HD
Global SD
City TV HD

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Anyone use an OTA antenna? I was just playing around with some speaker wire. Literally cut maybe 2 feet of speaker wire and stripped the plastic off one end and inserted the wire into the coaxial input of my TV and I'm getting 7 channels in crystal clear HD. I wonder what a proper heavy duty antenna outside on my roof would get me. I haven't had cable for 2 years and don't miss it but kind of cool to be able to watch CBC on Saturday for Leafs games.

CBC HD
CTV HD
TVO HD
CBC French HD
Global HD
Global SD
City TV HD
I'm not at home right now but I know there's a site that will list which channels you'll get and their strength. You can also try buying powered rabbit ears from Walmart to see what you'll catch then returning them if it's not that much. If you have a clear sight of the CN Tower then you should also catch all of the Buffalo affiliates of the US networks in HD in addition to what you listed.

Willectro

Banned
So if the Scarborough subway isn't really needed to solve Toronto's transit woes, then is Ford partially guilty of racketeering?

I'm just starting to wonder if any parallels can be drawn between Ford and Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

Edit:

Interesting headline/image, lmfao.

I'm not at home right now but I know there's a site that will list which channels you'll get and their strength. You can also try buying powered rabbit ears from Walmart to see what you'll catch then returning them if it's not that much. If you have a clear sight of the CN Tower then you should also catch all of the Buffalo affiliates of the US networks in HD in addition to what you listed.
Yeah I think your talking about the digitalhome site. Checked it out. I just stopped by futureshop and picked up a $20 RCA indoor antenna. I get 3 more channels than the speaker wire. I'm going to return the antenna and look into getting a proper one for my roof. This whole thing was an experiment to see how this stuff works and definitely impressed with how cheap and easy this whole thing can be. Digitalhome has some people getting up to 30 OTA channels. Would be awesome if I could achieve that without spending much.

Omlagus

CBC HD
CTV HD
TVO HD
CBC French HD
Global HD
Global SD
City TV HD

I have one. I'm up in Vaughan. I get all those (although for some reason not CTV) plus PBS HD and SD, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and both Omnis all in HD.

Those are the main ones. There's also a handful of others but the signal on most isn't always that strong.

Antenna is on the roof and we're somewhat higher than downtown, so it has pretty good elevation which definitely helps.

I have one. I'm up in Vaughan. I get all those (although for some reason not CTV) plus PBS HD and SD, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX and both Omnis all in HD.

Those are the main ones. There's also a handful of others but the signal on most isn't always that strong.

Antenna is on the roof and we're somewhat higher than downtown, so it has pretty good elevation which definitely helps.
That's good to know. With the RCA antenna I got CBS and the two Omni channels that I couldn't get with the speaker wire although I never really played with the speaker wire much. If I could get all of the above plus NBC, PBS, and FOX I think I'd be set. I did for a second get some channel that may have veen Fox but I'm not sure. These things are so fidgety.

Willectro

Banned
That's good to know. With the RCA antenna I got CBS and the two Omni channels that I couldn't get with the speaker wire although I never really played with the speaker wire much. If I could get all of the above plus NBC, PBS, and FOX I think I'd be set. I did for a second get some channel that may have veen Fox but I'm not sure. These things are so fidgety.

I have some small antenna which picks up a few channels, even though I have clear line of site of the CN tower. Only thing I dislike is once it is set, if anything or anyone in the room moves, the signal goes nuts. Ah well, might try a different antenna one day (and it's free so anything is good)

Sober

The Aquarium is open now? God I haven't even gone to the Mesopotamia ROM exhibit yet, I'm so far behind (even if it's here til January).

Same price as the Toronto Zoo. I've never been to an aquarium so I don't know if that's a good price or not and how big in comparison to the zoo it is. If there is a entire days worth of stuff to do and creatures to see like the zoo then I guess it isn't so bad. I mean I consider the zoo to be expensive though, but how often do you visit these places anyways? Once every 5-10 years?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Same price as the Toronto Zoo. I've never been to an aquarium so I don't know if that's a good price or not and how big in comparison to the zoo it is. If there is a entire days worth of stuff to do and creatures to see like the zoo then I guess it isn't so bad. I mean I consider the zoo to be expensive though, but how often do you visit these places anyways? Once every 5-10 years?

Well at least most of the animals in the aquarium are moving. I mean they have to to live, but hey, that's worth a few bucks right?

I go to the Zoo at least 5 times a year

I've had a membership almost my entire life

And I've had aquarium tickets for a few months, I can't wait to finally go

30 bucks isn't bad for an attraction right downtown

If the Zoo was downtown it would be 50 bucks at least for 1 day

Azih

I'll go when the hype rush settles down and take a day off work to go on a weekday with the family.

My son'll love it. Though he loves flipping switches too so his standards are pretty low right now.

Brinbe

Checked out the Xbone at bestbuy (dundas/bay) earlier today. No lineup or anything, so that was nice. They only had Killer Instinct. so I tried that out. Game didn't really impress me all that much graphically, but I'm glad I was finally able to hold the controller. Not sure what all the complaints are about, it felt perfectly fine.

Just FYI if anyone else wanted to give it a whirl too.

And I'm totally down for a meet-up or something at the AC event. Should be fun to try it out.

Oh and I checked out at the Aquarium on Wednesday. It's pretty damn good and easily worth the $30 bucks. Wasn't even stupid crowded or anything. Just a great addition to the city and that area.

CBC HD
CTV HD
TVO HD
CBC French HD
Global HD
Global SD
City TV HD

That's pretty good.

I am near the lake (just across from High Park) but in a ground floor apartment so I imagine that I wouldn't get much at all. The other half of the building is also blocking me.

Quadratic

Did anyone run the Scotia Bank marathon today? I cheered on a friend and his wife who ran it this morning. Got me pretty inspired to do it next year.

This morning was also the CN Tower stair climb. I've done that a couple of times. It's fun to do at least once.

jokkir

Thanks again, Kuro for the Nexus 4. Much faster than that crap phone you saw I was using lol.

And that thing yesterday at the mall was The Next Step. Kinda like So You Think You Can Dance but for little kids >__>

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I might give it a shot if I can return it. I have heard this model is the best.

On a completely unrelated note, Teksavvy internet has been out for three days now. :(
contact their VP ASAP to get it resolved. It helped EM out when their CSR s were giving him the runaround. PM me and I'll send you his email.

Did anyone run the Scotia Bank marathon today? I cheered on a friend and his wife who ran it this morning. Got me pretty inspired to do it next year.

This morning was also the CN Tower stair climb. I've done that a couple of times. It's fun to do at least once.
You're a dirty liar Quad! I have a friend who works at the CN Tower and the stories...THE STORIES!

Thanks again, Kuro for the Nexus 4. Much faster than that crap phone you saw I was using lol.

And that thing yesterday at the mall was The Next Step. Kinda like So You Think You Can Dance but for little kids >__>
I wish GAF had a puke emoticon...as for the phone, all I saw was a tin can with a string at the end.

Hope you enjoy it!

I gotta get my passport renewed in the new year. So, they raised the prices this summer to $120 for 5 years and $160 for 10 years. Who on earth is going to be buying a 5 year at those prices? Makes no longterm sense to get the 5 year. They both have 30 pages which is kind of stupid, you'd think the 10 year would have more but for most people 30 pages is more than enough. I think my current passport has one stamp from visiting Italy. Are stamps only done when traveling by air? I plan in the future to backpack through Europe and possibly South America. Would I get a stamp every time I walk across a border say Chile to Argentina, Argentina to Uruguay, etc?

Zips

All this antenna talk is catching my interest. You can get a collection of HD channels for free (sans the antenna purchase price)?

What ports do these things plug into on the TV? The regular cable input?

I live on a high floor, so I could see it working pretty well here. How much space does the antenna really take up?

Being able to get some news channels, weather network, and channels that show some reality TV and/or shows like Simpsons and Bones would make my girlfriend really happy.

Omlagus

All this antenna talk is catching my interest. You can get a collection of HD channels for free (sans the antenna purchase price)?

What ports do these things plug into on the TV? The regular cable input?

I live on a high floor, so I could see it working pretty well here. How much space does the antenna really take up?

Being able to get some news channels, weather network, and channels that show some reality TV and/or shows like Simpsons and Bones would make my girlfriend really happy.

The antenna just has a regular coaxial cable, so you would just plug that in to your tv antenna in port, assuming it has one. Your tv also need to have a built-in ATSC tuner. I would guess many of them do, but if not then you would need a separate tv tuner box.

The antenna itself can be reasonably small, depending on what type you get. Indoor style are usually smaller, with some styles being flat that can be hung on a wall. You will probably get better reception just putting an outdoor antenna on your balcony though.

If you go to TV Fool and put in your address and elevation, you can get a good idea what channels you can pick up. Might want to temper you expectations a bit, however, as stuff like the weather channel are cable only. List I posted earlier in the thread would be pretty representative.

If you have any other questions, feel free.

Top Bottom