• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

soultron

Banned
I just might do that.
Thanks for the info, dude.

There's such a big scene in Toronto (tonnes of indie, some AAA) that always frequent events like Torontaru, IGDA meetings, etc. I'd always recommend going to those things whether you have a job in the industry or not (but have the skills to get [back] in).

Network gracefully at these things (see: don't be overbearing or anything weird like that) and I think you'll make some valuable contacts. /thumbs up!

jstripes

Banned

W2LoML8.jpg

iOS game company, I won't name names (don't like talking trash), but I'm fairly sure about 3 people on GAF has ever heard of them. The revenue was at a low point and they needed to cut costs, so I got laid off.

Didn't help that I was essentially off the game team for half the time I was there in order to help another company work on another kind of app altogether. So for 5 months I wasn't even working on games.

I'm trying not to be bitter.
Meh. Fuck it, be bitter and all. The mobile side of thing is nuts, and honestly, most of the "established" mobile companies are flash in the pan existence.

Yes, do what Soultron tells you (I've been too busy, and can't think of a good excuse to go downtown for it), and network. Also, check the TOJam stuff.

On the other hand, I personally have my own opinion on the Toronto indie scene that I'd rather not say on an online forum, read potentially by a few indies here. :p

explodet

My networking skills are horribad, but I've been lucky with a couple of people who are looking out for me. Still, I guess it's just another skill, something I can work on.

Yeah, today I'm gonna be Disgruntled Goat and waste time on GAF (which is like every other day, only more bitter).

cbox

Sucks about the job man, I recently was recruited to work at a small "free to play" publisher ( I'm a designer ) and I refused the position. I don't see that side of gaming lasting very long.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry about the job

We really need a meet up to catch up with everyone and revel in kavey's poor taste in beer, his missing fro, and his death

I'm off to Seoul for two weeks so I won't be around but maybe I'll set something up when I come back. I'd still prefer Krafty do it but he might be busy being tied to a bed and being whipped...or something

soultron

Banned
I know it's not specifically Mexican, but I just wanted to take this opportunity to drop a recommendation for the Spanish tapas joint Carmen (Queen W & Shaw) since it was tasty. A bit more pricey than I'm used to, but the paella was fantastic.

Sorry about the job

We really need a meet up to catch up with everyone and revel in kavey's poor taste in beer, his missing fro, and his death

I'm off to Seoul for two weeks so I won't be around but maybe I'll set something up when I come back. I'd still prefer Krafty do it but he might be busy being tied to a bed and being whipped...or something
Wait, that happened?

isny

napkin dispenser
I scalped him.

So, Toronto Christmas/Holiday meetup being planned yet so I can come hang with ya'll again? This time though instead of going to a hotel at midnight and paying a crapton cause I'm too drunk to take the bus home, I'm so going to crash at your place Kraft (preferably with cosplay girls, but either way...)

I saw this website on a commercial on TV a couple days ago and I just felt like bringing it up: http://ok2talk.org/

I just think it's fantastic. I know it's a tough read for the most part but I'm not going to lie I've been spending a lot of my bored with nothing to do time on that website just talking to people and trying to relate and help out. It's just nice to see people expressing themselves when they need it most.

I know this is weird coming from me since 99% of my posts are joke posts and I'm rarely serious about anything but I don't know, just thought it was interesting. I'm sure there's a zillion sites like it but this one's really accessible when it comes to just finding posts and responding to them.

Also, fuck columbus.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Did you get tickets?

I couldn't get any, since Cineplex had issues with their website, and by the time it was fixed, they were all sold out.

Ouch, sorry to hear that man. I was able to order without issues when the floodgates opened.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Glad my wife brought her laptop with us.

More bitching about transportation incoming..

The transportation in Seoul is still fast, spacious, cheap, and efficient, and has a ton of amenities.

Fast
Never waited very long for any bus or subway. They still use a card that you put money on and you basically hold it up to a sensor to remove funds. It's ridiculously good and you can use it on cabs and convenience stores too.

Spacious
One thing I never really noticed is that the trains we have in TO now (the new one subway one) is similar to the ones in Seoul now, but specifically, I am referring to the width. They're so much wider and allow more people on than I noticed.

Cheap
Since the last time I was here about 6 years ago, the prices have gone up by about 25 cents. Disgraceful how quickly our fares have grown. Here's it's about 1.15 to maybe? 10 dollars if you go from the far reaches of one part of the city to another (I really don't know the max, as nobody usually has to go that far) whereas TO is 3 dollars and rising for short turning streetcars and subway stations that nobody seems to want.

Efficient
I can't think of a bloody place you CAN'T get to using the transit system here. Oh, and for all us non-Korean speakers, there is A FUCKING HD TOUCH TERMINAL that has an ENGLISH/CHINESE/JAPANESE setting that SHOWS YOU WHERE YOU ARE, HOW TO GET WHERE YOU NEED TO, STUFF TO DO, PLACES TO VISIT, and the subway stations all have platforms with doors preventing jumpers. And on certain lines, the station information is spoken and displayed in 4 languages.

Amenities
You can use your goddamn phone and data on the subway system. There are maps on certain sections of the train that light up to tell you where you are and where you need to go. Granted, Toronto has the n00biest system in the world, but they really go out of their way here to make sure you don't get lost. Finally, within the subway stops and before you get on to the train itself, there are literally dozens of little shops you can pass through to get whatever the hell it is you want. Phones, clothing, food, electronics, etc. Tons of variety for each too.

Willectro

Banned
I've been thinking about this for a while - what's with this Toronto mentality that if you are walking in a group of 2 or more people, you automatically are not obligated to move over (or single file) for someone walking towards you?

soultron

Banned
I've been thinking about this for a while - what's with this Toronto mentality that if you are walking in a group of 2 or more people, you automatically are not obligated to move over (or single file) for someone walking towards you?

That's not a Toronto mentality. Maybe some people are idiots, but most civilized folk are smart about this.

Mr. F

Banned
Anybody going to Gamercamp this weekend? I was hoping to check it out but I think I'll be too wrapped up with school work. Seems like a great year to go, sorry to be missing it.

Anyone remember this song? I think Electric Circus played it a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eQ4-QfQWpI

It just makes me want to play Timesplitters though >__>

Ha! That brings back memories. I think that song was on one of the first CDs I ever bought as a child.

Others are right this isn't strictly a TO thing, but the frustration of which you speak also brings out my cranky old man fist-shaking. Also cyclestrians.

What other big cities have you visited? Have you been to US malls?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Oh sure, a firefighter lies about an assault and there's no "smh Toronto Fire", or "Fuck the Fire Department", it's allll on the cops. :p

(Yeah, the cops still fucked up here, but c'mon guys, spread the blame a little)
But fire fighters are heroes while cops are just thugs with guns. ;)

soultron

Banned

He contradicts himself at the end of the story where he claims he was too drunk to recognize his own girlfriend, it sounds like. How was he supposed to know the events that lead to his arrest with any kind of clarity? What if he left out details? Perhaps the fire fighter tried to restrain or move him away from evidence while he was taking pictures and accidentally knocked the fire fighter with his hand?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
He contradicts himself at the end of the story where he claims he was too drunk to recognize his own girlfriend, it sounds like. How was he supposed to know the events that lead to his arrest with any kind of clarity? What if he left out details? Perhaps the fire fighter tried to restrain or move him away from evidence while he was taking pictures and accidentally knocked the fire fighter with his hand?
You misread it. The cops released someone who wasn't him and told his girlfriend it was him. When she asked the cops if it was him why he walked past her the cops told her he was probably too drunk to recognize her. All the while he was still in lockup and wasn't released for another few hours.

Looks like he deleted the blog post. I wondered why he waited 9 months to post it.

soultron

Banned
You misread it. The cops released someone who wasn't him and told his girlfriend it was him. When she asked the cops if it was him why he walked past her the cops told her he was probably too drunk to recognize her. All the while he was still in lockup and wasn't released for another few hours.

Looks like he deleted the blog post. I wondered why he waited 9 months to post it.

Ah, you're right. My mistake, sorry. I still remain cautious in believing his account wholesale, however.

Boogie

The Star has an article up stating that TPS is conducting an internal investigation, which could be why the blog post was taken down for now.

The Star also has the reporter admitting to having "roughly" 8 drinks that night. So, maybe he handles his liquor well, and those drinks were spread out over a while, and his account is true.

Or maybe he's a lightweight, it was actually 10 or 11 drinks, and he was plastered and we can't believe shit about his account of things. Who knows.

Top Bottom