• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

soultron

Banned
Time for a soultron Ramen Review™:

Tried Raijin Ramen (Yonge & Gerrard) tonight. It was OK, but with Sansotei so close, I'd not really recommend it.

The decor was really neat, seeing as how there's a gigantic carved Japanese statue in the centre of the restaurant. It seats maybe 30 people -- most at tables and there's a bar for single seating -- so it's one of the larger ramen shops in Toronto, although still not as spacious as Ryoji, for example. There's also an open kitchen with a staff that greets you from within, although they're lacking the energy of the cheery chefs at Kinton. The service staff was super nice, as I always find is the case in ramen shops in Toronto.

The appetizers were OK. My friend and I started with 5pc gyoza and 5pc karage. (Many of the appetizers have small/large options.) The gyoza was fried only on one side, which felt strange compared to other gyoza I've had where both sides are fried. I prefer both sides fried, but can appreciate having two textures to choose from. The karage (fried chicken) was massive (great!), but only came with a lemon -- it could've used a sauce or dip to complement it. (We ended up dipping the chicken in the leftover sauce from the gyoza.)

As for the main attraction, I tried the bamboo charcoal dark miso ramen. The broth was made from chicken and seafood, but it was tinged with a distinctive black from the bamboo charcoal. The broth, overall, tasted good, but there wasn't anything exceptional about it. The pork shoulder was good, but nothing can top Kinton's blowtorch-charred shoulder and belly, in my opinion. All the acoutrements (seasoned egg, bean sprouts, etc.) were great, but I wish I had gotten some seaweed since I was craving a bit of saltiness that the broth didn't have. Overall, I liked it. The novelty of bamboo charcoal definitely drew my eye to it when I was browsing the menu. On a side note: Raijin's menu is really descriptive of what's in each bowl of ramen and even some of their cooking processes. It was a neat detail you don't often see on a ramen menu.

I'd say it's a decent ramen place, and I'd probably choose it over Santouka Ramen (another joint close to Y&D Square), but only on the condition that the line up for Sansotei is too long.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Time for a soultron Ramen Review™:

Tried Raijin Ramen (Yonge & Gerrard) tonight. It was OK, but with Sansotei so close, I'd not really recommend it.

The decor was really neat, seeing as how there's a gigantic carved Japanese statue in the centre of the restaurant. It seats maybe 30 people -- most at tables and there's a bar for single seating -- so it's one of the larger ramen shops in Toronto, although still not as spacious as Ryoji, for example. There's also an open kitchen with a staff that greets you from within, although they're lacking the energy of the cheery chefs at Kinton. The service staff was super nice, as I always find is the case in ramen shops in Toronto.

The appetizers were OK. My friend and I started with 5pc gyoza and 5pc karage. (Many of the appetizers have small/large options.) The gyoza was fried only on one side, which felt strange compared to other gyoza I've had where both sides are fried. I prefer both sides fried, but can appreciate having two textures to choose from. The karage (fried chicken) was massive (great!), but only came with a lemon -- it could've used a sauce or dip to complement it. (We ended up dipping the chicken in the leftover sauce from the gyoza.)

As for the main attraction, I tried the bamboo charcoal dark miso ramen. The broth was made from chicken and seafood, but it was tinged with a distinctive black from the bamboo charcoal. The broth, overall, tasted good, but there wasn't anything exceptional about it. The pork shoulder was good, but nothing can top Kinton's blowtorch-charred shoulder and belly, in my opinion. All the acoutrements (seasoned egg, bean sprouts, etc.) were great, but I wish I had gotten some seaweed since I was craving a bit of saltiness that the broth didn't have. Overall, I liked it. The novelty of bamboo charcoal definitely drew my eye to it when I was browsing the menu. On a side note: Raijin's menu is really descriptive of what's in each bowl of ramen and even some of their cooking processes. It was a neat detail you don't often see on a ramen menu.

I'd say it's a decent ramen place, and I'd probably choose it over Santouka Ramen (another joint close to Y&D Square), but only on the condition that the line up for Sansotei is too long.

Yeah with all the ramen places clustered so close, there's little reason to choose anything but Sansotei aside from the lines.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
How would you cheap bastards feel about a ramen meet up?

I'm sure we can hit up an LCBO to drink some shitty beer in kavey's memory after krafty finishes him off after finishing off Harley.

That sounded off... :(

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I'm starting to wonder if its me.

Every GAF community I'm a part of people either want me dead or ridicule me.

Is it my shoes? Be honest.

Stet

Banned
Doing Whisky Live tonight. Do you think it'll be buffet-style or will I have a personal butler to order around to get me hammed?

soultron

Banned
How would you cheap bastards feel about a ramen meet up?

I'm sure we can hit up an LCBO to drink some shitty beer in kavey's memory after krafty finishes him off after finishing off Harley.

That sounded off... :(

I'd be into this, but I feel that we'd have to keep the group somewhat small-ish and go later at night since dinner service at any ramen shops typically means they're rammed to capacity.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to wonder if its me.

Every GAF community I'm a part of people either want me dead or ridicule me.

Is it my shoes? Be honest.
I just hate the music of your people. That and your poor taste in beer.
And the fact you lost your fro.
And I'm racist as well. ;)

I'd be into this, but I feel that we'd have to keep the group somewhat small-ish and go later at night since dinner service at any ramen shops typically means they're rammed to capacity.
Hmm...wonder how many resos we could make or if we could get like 4 or 5 people to make resos for 4 or 5 people. This sounds like a caper. Who is in?

Soul which is the biggest and best? I've really only liked Kinton. I wish you guys were here in Seoul, this wouldn't be an issue here

I just hate the music of your people.
By that you mean people who live in Vaughan?

We can't talk anymore.
20131030-154227-g.jpg

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Thought I'd stop at STC to try the PS4 because I was done work at noon but it doesn't open until 4pm. Fuck that. There's a line up with more than 20 people waiting already.

Fuzzy

I just hate the music of your people. That and your poor taste in beer.
And the fact you lost your fro.
And I'm racist as well. ;)
Toronto-GAF is the most openly racist community here. Makes me shed a tear I'm so proud.

Seriously, I'm not as racist as I sound. :p

soultron

Banned
I don't think you can make reservations at ramen places

Yeah, that's kind of the rub. Y&D would be a decent place to go to since there are 3 within close proximity (Sansotei, Santouka, and Raiji), so if one is full, we can try the others.

Hmm...wonder how many resos we could make or if we could get like 4 or 5 people to make resos for 4 or 5 people. This sounds like a caper. Who is in?

Soul which is the biggest and best? I've really only liked Kinton. I wish you guys were here in Seoul, this wouldn't be an issue here

Kinton is great, but it's arguably one of the busiest ramen shops in Toronto. Ryuu's is right next door, but I'd not recommend going to it. I've had 50/50 good/bad experiences of the maybe 4 times I've been.

If we were to go between lunch and dinner on a weekend day, there'd be a decent chance to get in, but any time after 5 on a weekend day is a gamble, especially Saturday.

We could probably get away with a group of maybe 6-8. Any more than that and I think we'd get split up or not even seated at the same time.

How are Korean BBQ places in TO? Any spacious ones downtown that we could invade? I've not tried KBBQ and figured you duders might know some top spots. Meet ups?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah, that's kind of the rub. Y&D would be a decent place to go to since there are 3 within close proximity (Sansotei, Santouka, and Raiji), so if one is full, we can try the others.

Kinton is great, but it's arguably one of the busiest ramen shops in Toronto. Ryuu's is right next door, but I'd not recommend going to it. I've had 50/50 good/bad experiences of the maybe 4 times I've been.

If we were to go between lunch and dinner on a weekend day, there'd be a decent chance to get in, but any time after 5 on a weekend day is a gamble, especially Saturday.

We could probably get away with a group of maybe 6-8. Any more than that and I think we'd get split up or not even seated at the same time.

How are Korean BBQ places in TO? Any spacious ones downtown that we could invade? I've not tried KBBQ and figured you duders might know some top spots. Meet ups?

Depends on what kind of Kbbq you want. Downtown there's mostly the kind of crappy all you can eat kind. Gotta goto Ktown for the good stuff.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Thornhill-Age |OT| - Andrew Wiggins land
Vaughan Secondary School-Age |OT| - The team Kave_Man and Andrew Wiggins both played for

Damn right!

Truth be told I'm closer to his brothers then I am him though. I await the day (7 years from now) when Andrew Wiggins comes home to the Raptors.

Samyy

Damn right!

Truth be told I'm closer to his brothers then I am him though. I await the day (7 years from now) when Andrew Wiggins comes home to the Raptors.

You mean sign a huge contract for life with a big ticket American team for the fame, money and exposure that he would never get in Toronto?

Brinbe

I'm all for a meetup soon. Not like we'll have time once the 15th hits, right?
as if any of us actually play games

Also gonna check out that ps4 thing at STC later today. Should be fun

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
You mean sign a huge contract for life with a big ticket American team for the fame, money and exposure that he would never get in Toronto?

I argue he'd make even more money playing for the Raptors than any other team.

Superstar in the league and he's Canadian playing for the only Canadian team where he happens to be from?

Endorsements would be coming in like crazy, Nike and Adidas are already competing for him and not like the money will be less if he was in Toronto. He'd be the top vote getter pretty much every year if he played here.

jcutner

Thought I'd stop at STC to try the PS4 because I was done work at noon but it doesn't open until 4pm. Fuck that. There's a line up with more than 20 people waiting already.

Damn. I walked into the Sony Store at noon yesterday at the Eaton Centre and was able to play it almost immediately. No Killzone however.

zroid

Banned
Where is the Sony Store in Eaton Centre anyway? North or south side, and which floor?

I'll be in the area tomorrow so might stop by and give it a go

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I argue he'd make even more money playing for the Raptors than any other team.

Superstar in the league and he's Canadian playing for the only Canadian team where he happens to be from?

Endorsements would be coming in like crazy, Nike and Adidas are already competing for him and not like the money will be less if he was in Toronto. He'd be the top vote getter pretty much every year if he played here.
You know what you must do then, kave_man...

Weather is nice hee in Korea. I was in Jeju Island and it was awesome but the mosquitoes drove me nuts. I'd take a load of the devil's cum not to have to deal with those blood sucking bastards.

Fuzzy

You know what you must do then, kave_man...

Weather is nice hee in Korea. I was in Jeju Island and it was awesome but the mosquitoes drove me nuts. I'd take a load of the devil's cum not to have to deal with those blood sucking bastards.
But would you have Toronto's transit in Korea if it meant no mosquitoes?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
But would you have Toronto's transit in Korea if it meant no mosquitoes?
Do you mean would I have Seoul subway in Toronto with the mosquitos?

I'll learn to drive.

I'm telling ya Korean mosquitoes here are super vicious. No sleep and bites swell up like crazy.

Top Bottom