• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm not a big winter guy - but if it's going to be so fucking cold, I wouldn't mind just SOME snow - I don't drive so I don't give a fuck!

mhUxg.jpg

1974. Looks like a different city entirely.

Magnus

Is that...the CN Tower being built? Man. That looks terrifying in a strange way. Seeing our skyline without such an identifiable landmark already in place.

Rinoa

As far as I know, we only have 2-3 regular female posters in this thread.

Riona and BladeWorker? I'll admit, I'd be very shy around Riona, she's much better looking than FF8 (WORST FF EVER) Riona.

Then we got a bunch of Generic Asian Guys

Some pasty white guys.

Some brown lurkers (oh, you know who you are! >:O )

Kraftwerk

That thing on the end of Kraftwerk's shoe...kave_man

Somewhere in the bottom is Evilmario

edit: then we have the rest of you commies :D

Lump me in with the browns! I only look good in nice pics.

I used to think FF8 Rinoa looks good and from a design standpoint she is iconic. But her CG body is skinnyfat and no muscles, do not want.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Been to the works in waterloo. It's actually good if your an adventurous eater. KD on a burger!

Good to hear.

I do like the look of the menu. We already have Yellow Griffin in the neighbourhood which does a wide variety of 'odd' burgers. I walked by the Works Burger tonight and there were only a couple people in the place. I'll probably walk up and check it out with the wife tomorrow, or Friday.

Appleman

Good to hear.

I do like the look of the menu. We already have Yellow Griffin in the neighbourhood which does a wide variety of 'odd' burgers. I walked by the Works Burger tonight and there were only a couple people in the place. I'll probably walk up and check it out with the wife tomorrow, or Friday.

Yep, I might prefer the burger selection over the Yellow Griffin. I actually quite like the Works and the BWV one hasn't been too busy when I've been by it, other than opening night

And yep, went to the Waterloo one first before the Bloor West one had opened. RIP Payless Shoes

Appleman

On the burger topic, finally hit the 5 Guys at Dundas Square. Pretty good but expensive as hell though... At least they give you a meals worth of fries

Quick

Banned
On the burger topic, finally hit the 5 Guys at Dundas Square. Pretty good but expensive as hell though... At least they give you a meals worth of fries

If homeless people were smart, they'd hang around Five Guys and wait for people to give them their leftover fries.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
mhUxg.jpg

1974. Looks like a different city entirely.

It really was a different city back then. But Toronto has even changed quite a bit in the last decade. We'll have 'around' 44 highrises exceeding 150 metres in 2015, up from 13 in 2005. That's amazing growth. Stunning really.

So - tear it down, or try and fix? Either way, traffic is fucked. It's already ridiculously backed up now.

Pain either way. They should tear it down, but they won't get the funding they need to provide the required alternative (tunnel under) so they'll go for 'fixing it' and letting the next generation deal with the problem.

Fix it and fill the top with soil and grass and build a boardwalk with shops. Then dig a tunnel underground for a new expressway

It would be so lovely.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
No one is going to visit that boardwalk :(.

and FSS, how did it manage to get into such bad shape?

It's a problem no one wanted to deal with. Just put it off and patch up things when it required it.. but not actually fix the problem. It's sort of like trying to fix an already rotted tooth by brushing it really well for years. You're not really solving anything and eventually, it's going to cause you a great deal of pain.

scogoth

No one is going to visit that boardwalk :(.

I would why wouldn't you? The only ugly part of downtown is the highway which would look much much nicer if they commercialized the land. It would make downtown so muck nicer especially around the financial district which has always felt so sterile to me.

High line in New York is an old elevated railway and got converted to green space.

HighLine5_IwanBaan.jpg

whitehawk

Banned
Another new 'gourmet' burger place opened near me. I guess I'll have to go and be predictably disappointed.

http://www.worksburger.com

And apparently Go Lounge managed to get their liquor license last week. Still need to check it out..
Place is pricey, but it's worth going at least once. They have some ridiculous burgers on their menu.

I would why wouldn't you? The only ugly part of downtown is the highway which would look much much nicer if they commercialized the land. It would make downtown so muck nicer especially around the financial district which has always felt so sterile to me.

High line in New York is an old elevated railway and got converted to green space.

HighLine5_IwanBaan.jpg
That looks awesome. Would love it if Toronto did that. But building an underground highway is a BIG task.

Someone told me there is no hockey this year, so here is a photo of the Toronto Maple Leafs from a season I just picked completely randomly: 1967.

pRKHN.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The cost of implementing PRESTO, the province's contactless fare card system, in the GTA has jumped to $700 million, almost three times the expected amount. Ontario's auditor general says the card might be the most expensive to establish in the world largely thanks to the development of an entirely new system, PRESTO Next Generation, for the TTC and Ottawa transit. Good one, Metrolinx!

Getting excited to ride the new Union-Pearson Express when it opens? Well, get ready to pay up. A new report says tickets could cost in the region of $30 each, ten times the TTC fare. Just for comparison, a Via Rail supersaver fare to Cobourg, more than 100 kilometres away, is currently $28. Another good one, Metrolinx! Should the transit agency consider running the line at a loss to lower fares?

BlogTO

SMH

Top Bottom