• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Rinoa

Ardene could have the back half of Funland no problem, there was some mad sketchy shiz going on there back in the 90s!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Hot damn. That seems like pouring money down the drain. How do you even open a business without getting a license first?

lol

At least there are still arcades... in like, Vaughn!

Still one at Pacific Mall last time I checked...though for all I know, it could be gone now?

Zips

Still one at Pacific Mall last time I checked...though for all I know, it could be gone now?

It seems to be a Playdium now, last I saw. Was a bit weird to see the space well-lit and with big clear windows showing the entirety of the clean inside.

"What about the dank?" I asked.

explodet

Aw, but the dank! The dank!!

There's some arcade machines in the Scotiabank theater, but it's hard for me to get excited without a DDR Extreme machine.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
That's not a real arcade though. I just remember they only had a few machines.
Shaddap and finish your goddamn phd!

Enough machines in there for it to be an arcade...though it's not really Toronto as it is Markham.

I miss Brimley and the days of two arcades really close to each other.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Hot damn. That seems like pouring money down the drain. How do you even open a business without getting a license first?
It's even more stupid that they tried to "kickstart" a liquor license when they didn't even have a business license. Glad they never reached their goal of $3K.

Started work down at Ripley's Aquarium tonight. I'll be working evenings (3:30-12:30am M-Th) for a month because it's so congested during the day with other workers that the only time we can get done what I'm doing is at night. I don't mind evenings because I get a 20% premium over working during the day (which makes it 5.7 hours of pay more a week with one less day) and I don't have to sit in traffic either way.

whitehawk

Banned
I'm still bitter about Funland Arcade being replaced by a motherfuckin' Ardene.
Same. Worst part is that if a small but packed, and reasonably priced arcade can't survive in the busiest area of Toronto, no arcade can :( Had it still been around I would have suggested we start there for the next meetup. Or end up there.

Azih

Same. Worst part is that if a small but packed, and reasonably priced arcade can't survive in the busiest area of Toronto, no arcade can :( Had it still been around I would have suggested we start there for the next meetup. Or end up there.

You don't want the next meet up to be at an Ardene's?

cbox

There's an old dank arcade at woodbine centre in Rexdale. That thing has been there since it opened, and it still smells the same. I wasted so much damn money on crazy taxi I could have bought a dreamcast :|

edit: I'm not asian, euro descent.

Oppo

Hey is there still that shitty hovel of an arcade in Union Station? Or did it fall victim to the reno?

It must have. That thing was like a time warp.

edit - yeah, gonzo. june of last year.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Hey is there still that shitty hovel of an arcade in Union Station? Or did it fall victim to the reno?

It must have. That thing was like a time warp.

I think it's still there. Yea pretty sketchy place.

EDIT: Or not

explodet

Yeah, that thing is long gone. Shame, it had a good collection of pinball games.
I remember in 3rd grade I blew all my lunch money on that stupid kangaroo arcade game, and went hungry for the rest of the week.

Good times, good times.

whitehawk

Banned
Only place for arcades these days are movie theatres and Wonderland. Also that one Playdium in Mississauga. I went there 4-5 years ago and it was empty.

edit: Wait there's also Dave and Busters which is awesome.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Only place for arcades these days are movie theatres and Wonderland. Also that one Playdium in Mississauga. I went there 4-5 years ago and it was empty.

edit: Wait there's also Dave and Busters which is awesome.

For the life of me I cannot figure out how that Playdium stays open. No one ever goes there, there's never anyone actually using the gokarts or the climbing wall when I pass by either. How does it still exist?

I heard that Playdium won't be around much longer.....

Also heard from a relatively good source that there may be more "arcades" in the GTA in the next couple years

And back when I worked at Wonderland we'd play in the arcade after close, be sucking back oxygen after marathon DDR sessions lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
"GTA" is Oakville probably. lol

I mean, a place like A&C games barely survives with FGC support... I don't know how a legit arcade where you need to pay a buck per play could survive anywhere in Toronto.

I mean, a place like A&C games barely survives with FGC support... I don't know how a legit arcade where you need to pay a buck per play could survive anywhere in Toronto.

Not Oakville :p

Still such a shame that Playdium downtown closed, but their rent and overhead was insanely high....maybe if they had a liquor license they could have survived,

They were open 24/7 weren't they?

thabiz

At one point yeah it was 24/7.

No arcade can survive in TO. The only one i remember being legit busy was the one on yonge beside sunrise YEARS ago.

Paladium was just a novelty.

At one point yeah it was 24/7.

No arcade can survive in TO. The only one i remember being legit busy was the one on yonge YEARS ago.

Paladium was just a novelty.

s9s.JPG

krae_man

I go to Pladium once a year and have fun. $2 gokart laps on Tuesdays is a blast. Game selection wise however they suck. It's all prize redemption games.

whitehawk

Banned
Not Oakville :p

Still such a shame that Playdium downtown closed, but their rent and overhead was insanely high....maybe if they had a liquor license they could have survived,

They were open 24/7 weren't they?
I imagine this is why Dave and Busters does well. Attract people with the novelty of an arcade, make most of your money from food and drinks.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
As far as I know, we only have 2-3 regular female posters in this thread.

Riona and BladeWorker? I'll admit, I'd be very shy around Riona, she's much better looking than FF8 (WORST FF EVER) Riona.

Then we got a bunch of Generic Asian Guys

Some pasty white guys.

Some brown lurkers (oh, you know who you are! >:O )

Kraftwerk

That thing on the end of Kraftwerk's shoe...kave_man

Somewhere in the bottom is Evilmario

edit: then we have the rest of you commies :D

Wait what? Is there an arcade in Oak-nam?

Edit: I misread your comment. I don't think we've had an arcade since the one in Trafalgar Village disappeared.

Man I have lived in and around the fine city of Toronto for about 14 years now and I haven't seen jack shit. Haven't even been to the CN Tower yet! sucks to be an introvert....having no friends doesn't help either. :/

grumble

As far as I know, we only have 2-3 regular female posters in this thread.

Riona and BladeWorker? I'll admit, I'd be very shy around Riona, she's much better looking than FF8 (WORST FF EVER) Riona.

Then we got a bunch of Generic Asian Guys

Some pasty white guys.

Some brown lurkers (oh, you know who you are! >:O )

Kraftwerk

That thing on the end of Kraftwerk's shoe...kave_man

Somewhere in the bottom is Evilmario

edit: then we have the rest of you commies :D

Hey! I'm not any of those things. I'm moderately left at best, and far from pasty.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Man I have lived in and around the fine city of Toronto for about 14 years now and I haven't seen jack shit. Haven't even been to the CN Tower yet! sucks to be an introvert....having no friends doesn't help either. :/

CN Tower is overrated. I think I lived here 5 years or so before even going up there.

Definitely go to St. Lawrence Market, the Distillery, the Beaches, High Park, Kensington Market, Pacific Mall, etc etc.

Other than that, we got a bunch of crappy malls and stuff. If you're into food, we got tons of great places to try out. Just don't use our poll in the OP...Dangerous Dan's MY ASS!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait what? Is there an arcade in Oak-nam?

Edit: I misread your comment. I don't think we've had an arcade since the one in Trafalgar Village disappeared.

Haha, yeah. I just mean when people say GTA, at this point, it could mean Thunder Bay now. As long as its anywhere near Toronto, it's "GTA".

Top Bottom