• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Why castrate if you're going to kill him anyway?

For the benefit of science to prove that it wouldn't have changed the timbre of his voice?

Returners

Anyone live in sauga and commutes by the GO train to downtown every morning?

Just trying to get a feel of available parking spots at Medowvale & Streetsville GO. What time does it fill up?

EasyMode

Just trying to get a feel of available parking spots at Medowvale & Streetsville GO. What time does it fill up?

I don't use Streetville GO, but Meadowvale always has plenty of spaces further away from the station. Finding a spot won't be a problem.

I really need to vent.

My school usually holds exams in a huge convention centre with around 2,000 students in the same room at a given time. Today was my last exam and I had it in there. They have this rule where you have to put your coat and bags in the front. So I did. after my exam, I went to get my coat only to find out some fucking piece of shit, half-witted, scum took my coat. I checked and rechecked, but I still couldn't find my coat. I check different spots, walked all around the place... nothing. I talked to a security guard and he said to just "chill around here until the exam is over." What... so wait around for another 2 fucking hours while you do nothing?! I talked to another guy and he took a report, but told me that I was pretty much shit out of luck. This is the 4th incident today. People walk in without a coat and then walk out with one. There goes my $500 dollar jacket. I had to walk to the bank in the cold to get money for public transit, and then walk home in the cold after getting off my train. I was so fucking pissed... still am. I actually felt like stabbing them with a pen if I found the person.

Whoever stole my coat, I hope you die a slow and painful death you fucking piece of shit.

Now I have to spend money to get myself another coat. I sure as hell am not spending that much again.

FUCK YOU. FUCK THE SCHOOL POLICY. FUCK MYSELF FOR NOT KNOWING THERE WAS A COAT CHECK BEFORE THE EXAM. FUCK THIS WHOLE DAY. FUCK, FUCK, FUCK, FUCK, FUCK!

LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
LLShC.gif
Sucks man. A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him but instead, his bag some text books and his laptop got stolen. Ryerson too.

EasyMode

I'm thinking around 9-ish. Will it be full?

I'm late in replying, but it won't be full, you'll just have to park further away. If it's around 9 then you'll be taking the bus downtown, which is the slower route due to all the construction around Union (not too bad on Fridays though).

Sucks man. A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him but instead, his bag some text books and his laptop got stolen. Ryerson too.
If they trust 2000 students to not steal your jacket then why can't they trust each individual person to not cheat? This sucks for people who have had their expensive stuff stolen :(

Chart showing the number of 150 meter or taller skyscrapers in Canadian cities:

9xUFX.jpg

So Calgary is second after Toronto. However, Toronto is adding the equivalent of the entire Calgary skyline just between 2012 - 2015.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Chart showing the number of 150 meter or taller skyscrapers in Canadian cities:

9xUFX.jpg

So Calgary is second after Toronto. However, Toronto is adding the equivalent of the entire Calgary skyline just between 2012 - 2015.

Just noticed the Four Points Hotel near me (Windermere and Lakeshare) has closed down and they're talking about adding a 40 story condo there too. Our section of the city has really changed in the last five years with all the towers going up. A shame there has been a decrease in retail with a major shopping centre on Southport closing. Grocery store options are 20 minute walks west to Sobeys, or 20 minutes north to No Frills and smaller markets. Although the building going up in the Southport lot (which has been empty for four years now) is suppose to have retail at street level.

Oppo

Wow, Montreal is really stagnant in this area, huh? Tougher codes or less growth, what is it?

They might not have the terrain to support super tall buildings, I know London has an effective 23-floor limit due to how sandy the soil is.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Wow, Montreal is really stagnant in this area, huh? Tougher codes or less growth, what is it?

They might not have the terrain to support super tall buildings, I know London has an effective 23-floor limit due to how sandy the soil is.

Montreal tends to shy away from high rises because of the building restrictions due to Mount Royal and restrictions on most downtown plots to not exceed 120m.

There are a few projects confirmed to be over 150m, but very few. L'Avenue being the tallest at 175. A lot of develop above 100m though, similar to Mississauga now.. really. Speaking of which, I'm always impressed how fast the Mississauga skyline sprang up. Absolute World obviously did wonders for it, but they've had plenty of development too. A shame that downtown still doesn't feel lively. We have family that rents in a condo right next to Square One, but it still feels mostly like a ghost town walking around.

ib0PmTeqv0PPPH.png

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
This is the first week where I went through the off leash dog area in High Park. I tend to stay away because of the absurd amount of dogs on 'Dog Hill', the muddy conditions and the poor state of the fences. However I was pretty impressed that they've managed to fix up most of the fences and there were very few holes where dogs could get there. There were plenty of intermediate gates in the area too, so dogs couldn't get too far if they saw a squirrel they just had to chase.

Always great this time of year too, since the number of people tends to decrease. Less kids and their parents trashing High Park and less bad dog owners leaving crap everywhere is always good.

ibwQCTi5zVmCr9.png

Are you talking about London, Ontario or London, England? Because London, England has a couple very tall skyscrapers.. like this one:

JEUc2.jpg

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Are you talking about London, Ontario or London, England? Because London, England has a couple very tall skyscrapers.. like this one:

London, for a city its size though, has only 16 buildings over 150 metres. I'm not sure about building restrictions because of the land, but there are a lot of restrictions on height because they want to preserve iconic / historic views of buildings and the skyline. It's a much older and more developed city too, which stops a lot of growth like we've had. Really, Toronto's growth the last ten years is sort of an anomaly outside of Asia.

Oppo

My dad used to work in the CT towers in London. He said there were huge water pumps in the basement that he could feel on the top floor, to keep the building stable.

krae_man

Yeah ground underneath has a lot to do with how large buildings can be. I remember watching something regarding that. It showed what the underground of New York was and comparred it to where the skyscrapers were.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Just a note out there for TO and Scarberia Gaffers if you're job searching. Yellow Pages is doing a lot of hiring.

Alpha, maybe look into it?

What happened to kraftwerk? I think kave_man really did win that battle! D:

Samyy

Streetsville is usually packed, dont know if you will get a spot, maybe in the back

Hieberrr

Just a note out there for TO and Scarberia Gaffers if you're job searching. Yellow Pages is doing a lot of hiring.

Alpha, maybe look into it?

What happened to kraftwerk? I think kave_man really did win that battle! D:

These names are killing me :lol. I heard, for the first time ever a few weeks ago, someone using Scarlem, LMAO.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
When anti-union laws pass in Michigan, home of the union, you know it's kind of fucked.

I suppose most people don't really appreciate the benefits a union can provide, so all they see is a percentage of their income being taken away without any choice on their part.

blah141

Has anyone been to El Trompo? How is it?

Edit: confused Tacos El Asador and El Trompo.
El Trompo:
Fantastic food. Best Mexican I've had in Canada. Again, family-owned, the guacamole is a good choice. Tacos are a staple -- they do them well. Only gripe is the high prices (relative to el asador, places in california, etc)... The patio in the summer is super.

El Asador:
Just ate there Friday afternoon. Cheap food, great homely atmosphere -- small family owned restaurant with the cooks running around speaking Spanish. The food is just okay, decently large portions for the price, everything just tastes a touch bland compared to other Mexican places in Toronto. Though apparently it's the "el-salvadorian touch" ... whatever that is.

Hieberrr

Edit: confused Tacos El Asador and El Trompo.
El Trompo:
Fantastic food. Best Mexican I've had in Canada. Again, family-owned, the guacamole is a good choice. Tacos are a staple -- they do them well. Only gripe is the high prices (relative to el asador, places in california, etc)... The patio in the summer is super.

El Asador:
Just ate there Friday afternoon. Cheap food, great homely atmosphere -- small family owned restaurant with the cooks running around speaking Spanish. The food is just okay, decently large portions for the price, everything just tastes a touch bland compared to other Mexican places in Toronto. Though apparently it's the "el-salvadorian touch" ... whatever that is.
Thanks! I heard good things about El Trompo, but I wasn't sure if that was legit feedback or just BlogTO speaking. The prices being high kind of suck though, I was hoping for something on the low-ish end. I checked the menu just now and it says that the El Pastor is 9.75, so does that mean it's for one taco or how does that work?

I've always wanted to try El Asador :S It's always packed when I walk by.

Top Bottom