• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Just a heads up/cautionary tale for anybody who shops at Game Centre -

I got a Wii U preorder with them back in September, right after the conference. I was the first on their list. They warned me they might not get them launch day, but I didn't mind because I would be busy with school anyway, and I wanted to support a smaller store that I'd been going to forever rather than the EB machine.

Every couple of weeks when I'd go by I'd chat & ask if they knew when they might be getting the Wii Us, etc. They never knew, but always said they'd call. Launch day came & went, no call. Went in a week later, they had a basic set on the shelf. I had a Deluxe preorder, so I was like okay, whatever, I guess they'll call when they get those.

I called in a week later to ask if any had come in, the guy was like "yeah, we got some" and I asked if they were Deluxe, I think he recognized my voice and was like "ah, no...none of those. Check back later."

Anyway, I stopped in today, asked about the Deluxes, a different guy told me "yeah, we've been getting some. Just sold the last one this morning though, sorry."

When I mentioned the pre-order he told me that the guy who runs the place is insane (his words) and says that since they don't take down payments on pre-orders, if they don't get them in the first 5 days they just sell them. The preorder list doesn't mean anything.

It's not a big deal because I can still get one elsewhere, but I feel pretty let down considering I went out of my way to support them. Anybody who was thinking of getting one of the big systems coming out next year may want to look elsewhere. I definitely won't be going there for a PS4. I'll probably be taking my business to Game Shack, or just biting the game-gutting overpriced-used-game corporate EB bullet.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't think it was hard to get one...

Hell if I was even remotely interested, I would've gotten it off that Gaffer a week or so ago

Didn't think it was hard to get one...

Hell if I was even remotely interested, I would've gotten it off that Gaffer a week or so ago

As I mentioned in the last paragraph, it's not, I was in the EB at Queen & Spadina earlier and I could have picked one up there, as they had Deluxes in. I had just thought this store was worth supporting, they always have low prices and don't do annoying things like gut games or push 3 different promotions at me every time I try to buy something.

Hieberrr

As I mentioned in the last paragraph, it's not, I was in the EB at Queen & Spadina earlier and I could have picked one up there, as they had Deluxes in. I had just thought this store was worth supporting, they always have low prices and don't do annoying things like gut games or push 3 different promotions at me every time I try to buy something.

Did you get whatever money you had back?

And honestly, when it comes to console pre-orders, you can't go wrong with the big guys.

whitehawk

Banned

I got a Wii U preorder with them back in September, right after the conference. I was the first on their list. They warned me they might not get them launch day, but I didn't mind because I would be busy with school anyway, and I wanted to support a smaller store that I'd been going to forever rather than the EB machine.

Every couple of weeks when I'd go by I'd chat & ask if they knew when they might be getting the Wii Us, etc. They never knew, but always said they'd call. Launch day came & went, no call. Went in a week later, they had a basic set on the shelf. I had a Deluxe preorder, so I was like okay, whatever, I guess they'll call when they get those.

I called in a week later to ask if any had come in, the guy was like "yeah, we got some" and I asked if they were Deluxe, I think he recognized my voice and was like "ah, no...none of those. Check back later."

Anyway, I stopped in today, asked about the Deluxes, a different guy told me "yeah, we've been getting some. Just sold the last one this morning though, sorry."

When I mentioned the pre-order he told me that the guy who runs the place is insane (his words) and says that since they don't take down payments on pre-orders, if they don't get them in the first 5 days they just sell them. The preorder list doesn't mean anything.

It's not a big deal because I can still get one elsewhere, but I feel pretty let down considering I went out of my way to support them. Anybody who was thinking of getting one of the big systems coming out next year may want to look elsewhere. I definitely won't be going there for a PS4. I'll probably be taking my business to Game Shack, or just biting the game-gutting overpriced-used-game corporate EB bullet.
Which Gamecentre was this? I've had nothing but good experiences at the Danforth and Yonge&Bloor locations. Even have a couple friends who work there. Never been to the St. Clair location though.

whitehawk

Banned
It's snowing! It's really snowing! Like big flakes that will likely stay on the ground!
3AQmK.gif

cube444

The Yonge St store or Danforth one?

EDIT: Just saw whitehawk's post. I've primarily dealt with the Danforth store and a long time Asian employee named Sam is great at calling you when you've preordered something.

thabiz

Has anyone had any issues with barking dogs in a condo?

For about 4 months now a dog barks loudly nonstop when the owners are out of their unit. I don't mind if its once in awhile, dogs bark. Problem is, these people are never home. NEVER. They come home from work, get changed i assume, and straight back out the door. I have tried to talk to the owners. Left a polite note in case they were not aware of the situation. I never see them, so ive had zero response. I really dont want to be the guy that bitches to management, but at this point its beyond annoying and really impacting on the enjoyment of my condo and my life. Dogs barking until 3 in the morning is not beneficial to sleep.

Has anyone been through this or similar situation? What are my legal rights? Will the condo board do anything? The building is pet friendly, so i have my doubts anything will be done.

Has anyone been through this or similar situation? What are my legal rights? Will the condo board do anything? The building is pet friendly, so i have my doubts anything will be done.
I've not dealt with dogs, but I have dealt with elephant-footed apartment neighbours stomping around at 3AM with regularity, and clueless frat boys bringing in commercial-size subwoofers and having a party after midnight on a weeknight. Condos and apartments have similar rules governing their use, but they tend to be enforced differently. So, here's some helpful hints and handy tips.

In short: Write to your board documenting what you have done to date, and what your expectations are for the board.

thabiz

I've not dealt with dogs, but I have dealt with elephant-footed apartment neighbours stomping around at 3AM with regularity, and clueless frat boys bringing in commercial-size subwoofers and having a party after midnight on a weeknight. Condos and apartments have similar rules governing their use, but they tend to be enforced differently. So, here's some helpful hints and handy tips.

In short: Write to your board documenting what you have done to date, and what your expectations are for the board.

I'm very lucky that the walls and floor, ceilings are thick concrete, so its been very quiet so far. Its a well designed building, except in the hallways. There is no damping on the doors. Its one of those small yappy dogs, and the barks are ear piercing. I'm at my wits end.

I have been making recordings on my phone, so i hope that helps with my case. I have seriously tried to be the "good neighbor" on this, but obviously my letter went by the way side. Some days its 10-12 hours. I was thinking of getting animal services involved as it seems they just abandon the dog all day.

Thanks for the link.

Edit: Some great info on that site. Seems like i've been taking the appropriate actions.

Quadratic

I really hope it's illegal here to own a chimp. Remember that story a few years ago about the lady who had her face eaten by her pet chimp? *shudders*

thabiz

I really hope it's illegal here to own a chimp. Remember that story a few years ago about the lady who had her face eaten by her pet chimp? *shudders*

In Toronto, primates such as such as chimpanzees, gorillas, lemurs and monkeys are prohibited as pets.

Azih

It's hillarious how Ford allies are like "Email? What Email? My assistants didn't send me no email! Stupid assistants!"

Which Gamecentre was this? I've had nothing but good experiences at the Danforth and Yonge&Bloor locations. Even have a couple friends who work there. Never been to the St. Clair location though.

Yonge & Bloor. I've generally had positive experiences there over the years, I wasn't all bitter or anything. I still dropped almost $200 on other stuff before I left.

But at the same time, this Wii U was actually originally earmarked for my kid brother as his Christmas present, other family members already bought games etc. for it. If this thing was sold out everywhere then these guys would have screwed my family over for Christmas. And remember, I was #1 on their preorder list since September.

Pragmatically speaking, if I want a PS4? Not going to go with them.

It's hillarious how Ford allies are like "Email? What Email? My assistants didn't send me no email! Stupid assistants!"

It depresses me that we're getting partisan politics creeping up from the States. The Neocon model of "never, ever admit that your side is wrong no matter what" so the Sun & Christie Blatchford will write stomach-turning defences of the guy just because he's on their side of the fence, and the Conservative Party will actually stand up in public and say "golly, it's just a doggone shame he's being treated like that, he had so many great ideas about cutting spending."

It's like, he's one part corrupt, one party wildly incompetent. Just disown the blob and move on, he has no political savvy. He's just going to keep burning himself and everyone around him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Christie Blatchford. This name should be banned.
lol

Yonge & Bloor. I've generally had positive experiences there over the years, I wasn't all bitter or anything. I still dropped almost $200 on other stuff before I left.

But at the same time, this Wii U was actually originally earmarked for my kid brother as his Christmas present, other family members already bought games etc. for it. If this thing was sold out everywhere then these guys would have screwed my family over for Christmas. And remember, I was #1 on their preorder list since September.

Pragmatically speaking, if I want a PS4? Not going to go with them.
I'm surprised they still sell hardware beyond the token console just to make the store look full. They can't be making anything on new Wii U sales.

I'm surprised they still sell hardware beyond the token console just to make the store look full. They can't be making anything on new Wii U sales.

Well, if you buy your console there, odds are you'll pick up a game or two & some accessories with it. And if any of those things you buy are used, they're doing alright.

Top Bottom