• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

blah141

Thanks! I heard good things about El Trompo, but I wasn't sure if that was legit feedback or just BlogTO speaking. The prices being high kind of suck though, I was hoping for something on the low-ish end. I checked the menu just now and it says that the El Pastor is 9.75, so does that mean it's for one taco or how does that work?

I've always wanted to try El Asador :S It's always packed when I walk by.

5 small tacos -- you can check out pictures on yelp for reference.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I've always wanted to try El Asador :S It's always packed when I walk by.

Worth the wait. They're amazing.

As mentioned above, they're from El Salvador, so the style might be a little different, but I dig it.

I really like the papusas the ladies in the back of a supermarket in Kensington make. I forget which one it is, but if you've been there you know which one it is.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
When anti-union laws pass in Michigan, home of the union, you know it's kind of fucked.

I suppose most people don't really appreciate the benefits a union can provide, so all they see is a percentage of their income being taken away without any choice on their part.

We paid our union to take it up the ass, so there goes your argument. No concessions. Got nothing, only gave up to 'keep jobs', which didn't do shit last time from what I heard. The union in Montreal got to keep their same hours, wages, days off and had people let go...which they are somewhat re-hiring under different positions.

Hieberrr

Wind is having their $29 unlimited calling, texting, and data plan promo again!

I'm thinking about upgrading from the $25 plan, but I still have to figure out if I really want data. As of right now, I like not being so "connected" all the time.

krae_man

I'm thinking about upgrading from the $25 plan, but I still have to figure out if I really want data. As of right now, I like not being so "connected" all the time.

Unlimited Data is totally worth $4.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Basically it's Unlimited Data for $4 more vs. Voice Mail ($8 addition on the $29 plan). I need the unlimited data, so I'm on a $29 plan from the summer. No voice mail, so I just have it forward to my wife's phone. She has voice mail, but only 100mb of data. But it works for her.

Hieberrr

Basically it's Unlimited Data for $4 more vs. Voice Mail ($8 addition on the $29 plan). I need the unlimited data, so I'm on a $29 plan from the summer. No voice mail, so I just have it forward to my wife's phone. She has voice mail, but only 100mb of data. But it works for her.
Oh there's no VM?I definitely need VM, so I might just stick to the $25 plan. The 100MB data has served me well so far, so I think I'll stick to that.

gfERw.jpg

source

Hieberrr

Hey guys, thinking of switching from Bell to either Teksavvy or Acanac.

Help me choose?

and yes, both of them are in my area.

I switched from Rogers with Teksavvy. Speeds are pretty fast, at least fast enough for me since I do a lot of downloading and streaming. I have the "plan" with the 300-350 GB cap and it's been working amazing so far. I can't recommend them enough.

Help me choose?

I use teksavvy for cable internet and it's zee best. The switch was a little rough but since then I've had almost no problems. High cap, high speed, lower price. Can't go wrong.

I had their DSL service before cable, it was fine for a long time but then randomly got worse with no solution in sight, so as soon a they offered cable I switched.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
We paid our union to take it up the ass, so there goes your argument. No concessions. Got nothing, only gave up to 'keep jobs', which didn't do shit last time from what I heard. The union in Montreal got to keep their same hours, wages, days off and had people let go...which they are somewhat re-hiring under different positions.
Collective bargaining is always better for middle class workers.

Although I suppose there's something to be said about making all your employees work against each other to improve productivity. You could incentivize behaviours by only giving raises and benefits to certain workers... quite Machiavellian if you think about it.
(Well, assuming that bosses don't follow the trend of racism and sexism and only give raises to white men anyway).

---

Anyway, I just came in here because The Layover (Bourdain's show) did an episode in Toronto! I'm genuinely curious to see what kinds of foods he can come up with, let alone things to do, because I've always assumed that Toronto is the the most boring big city in Canada, if not North America.

Kunohara

Help me choose?

I'm with Teksavvy, and I just got my other two friends to sign up, and they've had no trouble at all with them. Very good service, and I never get any dropped connections.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So they did some of the usual things and some things I never thought of, but of course they had to show off The Black Hoof:
2KJ7Jl.jpg

IknIil.jpg

(Dat marrow looks so guuuuuud)

But in terms of just crazy stupid food that I might try to seek out when I'm back is this place:
YUON5l.jpg

Looks sinfully delightful.

There are also a couple of "fuck, we taped this in the summer and now they're gone" hijinks:
itqbLl.jpg

q0NeXl.jpg

Honestly though, Toronto still looks boring compared to the cities that they've shown this fair this season. One of the things you can do is play ping pong... yay...

Hieberrr

I have yet to visit St. Lawrence Market. I shall do that on New Years Eve :O~

EDIT: Wait, is it not open on Mondays?
EDIT 2:
Good news Foodies! @StLawrenceMkt will be open on Dec 23, 24, 30 & 31. #MerryChristmas #Toronto http://foodiesinc.blogspot.ca/search/label/St. Lawrence Market … pic.twitter.com/vmwtc0R4

YUS! YUS! YUS!

EDIT 3:
Saturday Dec 22 5am - 5pm
Sunday Dec 23 8am - 5pm
Monday Dec 24 6am - 3pm
Tuesday Dec 25 Closed
Wednesday Dec 26 Closed
Thursday Dec 27 8am - 6pm
Friday Dec 28 8am - 7pm
Saturday Dec 29 5am - 5pm
Sunday Dec 30 10am - 5pm
Monday Dec 31 6am - 3pm
Tuesday Jan 1 Closed
Wednesday Jan 2 8am - 6pm ( Back to regular hours)

The Gravy Train.

Poutine in one bowl, chicken in another bowl, gravy in another.

Pour more gravy to the poutine, and/or dip chicken into the gravy.

Goddamn.
How about a foot long sausage made with bits of bacon ingrained in it. Cheese curds, gravy, and caramalized onions. Maybe ketchup.

DUDE. THAT is a train.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I was told today my afternoon shift won't be working next week because Monday is Christmas Eve and both Tuesday and Wednesday the site will be shut down so only Thursday would be available. They said I could switch to days for a half day on the 24th, full day on the 27th, half day on the 28th, half day on the 31st then back to afternoons on the 2nd. I took the much better option of taking next week off and only going back to work on the 2nd. I'm so lazy. :p

You folks have never been to Regina, have you?

One of my best friends is from there but it's not really a big city. Population isn't even 200,000.

But I still want to take back what I said about Vancouver and Seattle. I totally forgot about Atlanta and Houston.
I once went to 30 cities in the US and Canada in 32 days (music tour) and Atlanta and Houston were definitely the low-lights.

Has anyone tried any yakitori places in town? I heard there is a new one on Baldwin..
I love chicken heart yakitori ever since I had it in Japan.

Watching some of the Layover now. I could have done a way better job than this. Some really off the mark blanket statements too.
At least he picked tons of great restaurants.

Quadratic

I liked the first season of the Layover a lot. Did Bourdain mention the cost of going from the airport to downtown and that we have no current rail link? It usually opens every episode.

Top Bottom