• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I liked the first season of the Layover a lot. Did Bourdain mention the cost of going from the airport to downtown and that we have no current rail link? It usually opens every episode.
Yes. He mentioned the TTC route, the shuttle bus, and as always, he recommends taking the taxi.

The first thing he talks about is how shitty all our buildings look. Which is so true. Downtown is a garish nightmare, especially since we just copy trends from other cities. All those glass towers are going to look like shit 20 years from now. lol

Rinoa

So they did some of the usual things and some things I never thought of, but of course they had to show off The Black Hoof:
2KJ7Jl.jpg

IknIil.jpg

(Dat marrow looks so guuuuuud)

But in terms of just crazy stupid food that I might try to seek out when I'm back is this place:
YUON5l.jpg

Looks sinfully delightful.

Little Italy confirmed for best food options day /night?

The first thing he talks about is how shitty all our buildings look. Which is so true.

It's not true. The financial district looks good and a lot of low rises all around the city look great. It's a very simplified view to just focus on the waterfront condos (which are admittedly a disaster).
We have a fantastic collection of Victorian and Georgian style houses right in the middle of the city and cool weird stuff like OCAD, the ROM and the AGO.
Not to mention that the CN Tower is the perfect kind of iconic structure to anchor a skyline.
I hate when people only focus on the green condos like it's the only thing that exists in this city.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Little Italy confirmed for best food options day /night?
It was a very west end centric episode anyway.

St. Lawrence is probably about as far east as they bothered to go. lol

It's not true. The financial district looks good and a lot of low rises all around the city look great. It's a very simplified view to just focus on the waterfront condos (which are admittedly a disaster).
We have a fantastic collection of Victorian and Georgian style houses right in the middle of the city and cool weird stuff like OCAD, the ROM and the AGO.
Not to mention that the CN Tower is the perfect kind of iconic structure to anchor a skyline.
I hate when people only focus on the green condos like it's the only thing that exists in this city.
I think it's just a lack of any cohesive vision for the city. So you have buildings like the old metro city hall that have this 80s modernist look that just stands out from the rest of the buildings around it. There are unique buildings in the city, sure, but all the high rises that define the skyline are just garish.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Collective bargaining is always better for middle class workers.

Although I suppose there's something to be said about making all your employees work against each other to improve productivity. You could incentivize behaviours by only giving raises and benefits to certain workers... quite Machiavellian if you think about it.
(Well, assuming that bosses don't follow the trend of racism and sexism and only give raises to white men anyway).

---

Anyway, I just came in here because The Layover (Bourdain's show) did an episode in Toronto! I'm genuinely curious to see what kinds of foods he can come up with, let alone things to do, because I've always assumed that Toronto is the the most boring big city in Canada, if not North America.
Didn't save us, so shaddap.

How many cities have you even been to outside Ontario?

Edmonton is much much worse. Then there are the small towns, then there is Ottawa...

Toronto may not be the best, maybe Montreal?, but FAR from the worst.

Now go finish your goddamn PhD.

John Blade

A federal judge in Toronto has given internet provider TekSavvy more time to alert customers they may be drawn into a landmark copyright case over illegal downloading.

Judge John O’Keefe adjourned a motion on Monday by a California film studio that would force the Chatham, Ont., company to hand over customer information about people alleged to have illegally downloaded movies.

Voltage Pictures LLC is seeking the identities of people linked to about 2,000 IP addresses that it says were uncovered by a forensic software investigation, and involved the illegal copying and distributing of the studio’s works.

Tina Furlan, communications director for TekSavvy, confirmed to CBC News that the case has been adjourned until Jan. 14.

Furlan said the judge decided to delay the case due to two factors:

TekSavvy had been trying to alert customers associated with those IP addresses, and due to the short turnaround time – the company had been given a week to prepare for the case – 42 clients not involved in the case were accidentally informed, while about 90 connected to the downloading case have not been informed.
The Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic (CIPPIC) argued that it did not have time to officially apply for intervener status in the case.
“We’re very happy the court has decided to delay the case,” said Furlan on Tuesday. “It was something we wanted for our customers so they can have the time to prepare to take action against the allegations.”

The case marks a significant move in the arena of illegal downloading – coming just weeks after the Copyright Modernization Act came into effect in Canada. The act dramatically altered the landscape of Canadian copyright law.

TekSavvy said in a statement that it has a responsibility to protect customer information and ensure customer privacy. But it also said it would comply with any court order to hand over customer information..

Voltage took legal action last year against tens of thousands of U.S. web users. The studio alleged they illegally downloaded the company's Oscar-winning film The Hurt Locker.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/12/18/sci-teksavvy-downloading.html

Hieberrr

A federal judge in Toronto has given internet provider TekSavvy more time to alert customers they may be drawn into a landmark copyright case over illegal downloading.

Judge John O’Keefe adjourned a motion on Monday by a California film studio that would force the Chatham, Ont., company to hand over customer information about people alleged to have illegally downloaded movies.

Voltage Pictures LLC is seeking the identities of people linked to about 2,000 IP addresses that it says were uncovered by a forensic software investigation, and involved the illegal copying and distributing of the studio’s works.

Tina Furlan, communications director for TekSavvy, confirmed to CBC News that the case has been adjourned until Jan. 14.

Furlan said the judge decided to delay the case due to two factors:

TekSavvy had been trying to alert customers associated with those IP addresses, and due to the short turnaround time – the company had been given a week to prepare for the case – 42 clients not involved in the case were accidentally informed, while about 90 connected to the downloading case have not been informed.
The Canadian Internet Policy and Public Interest Clinic (CIPPIC) argued that it did not have time to officially apply for intervener status in the case.
“We’re very happy the court has decided to delay the case,” said Furlan on Tuesday. “It was something we wanted for our customers so they can have the time to prepare to take action against the allegations.”

The case marks a significant move in the arena of illegal downloading – coming just weeks after the Copyright Modernization Act came into effect in Canada. The act dramatically altered the landscape of Canadian copyright law.

TekSavvy said in a statement that it has a responsibility to protect customer information and ensure customer privacy. But it also said it would comply with any court order to hand over customer information..

Voltage took legal action last year against tens of thousands of U.S. web users. The studio alleged they illegally downloaded the company's Oscar-winning film The Hurt Locker.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/2012/12/18/sci-teksavvy-downloading.html

I'm pretty sure almost all customers have downloaded some sort of a movie before. Should they be worried? O___O;

These are the hurt locker people right? They're still on this thing lol. I remember reading a while ago how they were attacking consumers in america, looks like they want to do the same in canada.

I predict failure, regardless of new laws.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Going off the Rails on a Gravy Train indeed!

My wife just uses Netflix now, but for fuck's sake, make it EASIER to get these movies and people won't go torrenting them (as much :p )

It was probably the lamest episode of The Layover though. The most exciting thing he did was take bourbon shots from the giant bone.

Yeah, although "Fucked Up" is a great band, I'm not sure following them to their favourite local pubs for an evening was really a good idea for riveting tv.
The show would definitely give tourists a great list of restaurants to try though if nothing else.
That Black Hoof segment sold me on it so hard. I have to go.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, although "Fucked Up" is a great band, I'm not sure following them to their favourite local pubs for an evening was really a good idea for riveting tv.
The show would definitely give tourists a great list of restaurants to try though if nothing else.
I watched the vice video on the black hoof; I didn't see anything that made me want to go there

I watched the vice video on the black hoof; I didn't see anything that made me want to go there

I'm a huge fan of animal fat. When I eat pork chops, my favourite part is the fat on the side. So it looked like the type of restaurant for me!
(my friends get so mad when I talk like this since I only weigh 140 pounds and eat ANYTHING I want)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He usually finds local colour in terms of random people to hang out with. It's just that late night drinks and poutine isn't really all that interesting. lol

Then again, it's almost tradition for him to find the worst (in terms of just being unhealthy) 2am food in every city that he goes to anyway.

It was also kind of lame that while they had locals go on and on about the diversity, at best they showed like three "ethnic" places and he didn't personally go to any of them.

blah141

Just finished watching the episode, coincidentally was just at Tosho Knife earlier in the week (in mirvish village, must visit), and heading to WVRST on king west tomorrow. Didn't know about Porchetta (image earlier on) and California sandwiches is now on my list -- was always loyal to Bitondo's/San Francesco's veal sandwiches just steps away.

Very random question: You know those wooden sticks that doctors have that they put on your tongue when they make you say "aahhhhhh"?
Anyone know where to buy those? Shoppers Drug Mart didn't have it.

scogoth

Very random question: You know those wooden sticks that doctors have that they put on your tongue when they make you say "aahhhhhh"?
Anyone know where to buy those? Shoppers Drug Mart didn't have it.
They are called tongue depressors if that helps your search.

He also interviewed some of the most hipstery people I've seen in Toronto

Wow, you must really not get out much. I thought the people they interviewed were boring as fuck. It also pissed me off that they said the Black Hoof and Porchetta & Co were in Little Italy, and that they showed the Communists Daughter when talking about Kensington.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
woah. Sounds rough.. you got a flu or something?

Went to see the Hobbit on Sunday with my wife and a couple of friends. Out for dinner after, etc. By Monday night I was sick as a dog. One friend also came down with it. Wife never caught it. Back to normal now, but it's been a pretty miserable week. Better than being sick during Christmas at least.

Went to see the Hobbit on Sunday with my wife and a couple of friends. Out for dinner after, etc. By Monday night I was sick as a dog. One friend also came down with it. Wife never caught it. Back to normal now, but it's been a pretty miserable week. Better than being sick during Christmas at least.

I saw the Lord of the Rings movie and felt sick for a month after. So if the hobbit is similar then I totally understand!

Get well soon! :)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
There must be a really nasty bug going around. Both my gf and I were sick for a full week this month. Hide yo wife hide yo kids.

Top Bottom