• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
At Ruby Watchco near Queen and Broadview. I've read a lot about this place and it's quite close but this is the first time. Hope the reviews are right.

zroid

Banned
I should have checked out Nuit Blanche when I was living downtown and was an annoying teenager. There was a 2 year window. Now I'll never do it.

Most of them are high schoolers because during the rest of the year they have no real business of being in the city after 10PM except at the Scotiabank Theatre.

This happens every year, welcome to Toronto!

Excited to check out the event but the mass groups of high school kids are so annoying.

Mr. F

Banned
Never got the hype with Nuit Blanche, always ended up kind of underwhelming and a hassle to travel around through the crowds. Don't have the patience for it much anymore.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Nuit Blanche has always been terrible. There's like one good thing a year in a sea of garbage OCAD abortions and drunk teenagers.

First and last time going to Nuit Blanche

They need to close off Yonge street at least between Queen and Dundas, way way way way way too many people on the sidewalks

Things were also way too spread out

alienxx45

Nuit Blanche in Toronto is what you make of it. Usually has one or two cool giant exhibits displays. Walking around closed off streets in between bouts of eating and drinking and while trying to make sense of all the weirdos that come out can be good times.

Nuit Blanche Montreal on the other hand is pretty cool, more gathered and like a party.

Kraftwerk

Yeah, nearly everyone I know who went this time is saying how bad it was this year. Most of them went home early, compared to previous years.

Nuit Blanche in Toronto is what you make of it. Usually has one or two cool giant exhibits displays. Walking around closed off streets in between bouts of eating and drinking and while trying to make sense of all the weirdos that come out can be good times.

Nuit Blanche Montreal on the other hand is pretty cool, more gathered and like a party.

I went to the Montreal one a few years ago and I hated it but compared to this year in Toronto I guess it seemed better organized with more streets closed off

At least I enjoy walking around downtown with my gf, that was fun, went to Baton Rouge to get away from all the high schoolers around the Eaton Centre, was nice and quiet in there

Sober

Toronto is not really an artsy city, so it stands to reason the crowd is just boisterous teenagers looking for an excuse to be out on the streets late at night. Montreal on the other hand I've heard is probably a more suitable place anyway.

Toronto is not really an artsy city, so it stands to reason the crowd is just boisterous teenagers looking for an excuse to be out on the streets late at night. Montreal on the other hand I've heard is probably a more suitable place anyway.

Nah, Montreal had a ton of drunk kids as well

Willectro

Banned
Nuit Blanche was terrible. Crowds of people wandering around aimlessly to see projections of gifs. TTC running all night, but at a pretty low frequency.

jokkir

Some photos:
2014-10-05 06.20.52 1 by simulatron, on Flickr

2014-10-05 06.20.34 1 by simulatron, on Flickr

2014-10-05 06.20.18 1 by simulatron, on Flickr

Went to Nuit Blanche and yeah, it was really disappointing/terrible compared to previous years. The giant exhibit near City Hall was missing (it was some projection with a Yoko Ono wannabe, a D20 dice, and a pollution demonstration by the pond), the exhibits were too far apart and it looked like there was a lot less. The best one I went to was the Ubisoft one near TIFF. A charade type game where you had to use a Kinect and PSMove to draw an object you're given and the audience had to guess what it was.

Magnus

Any great pool hall or general pub/bar suggestions for my 30th bday? Anywhere downtown is great.

There are 80 invites, and historically, 40-50 will show throughout the evening.

Nuit Blanche has always been terrible. There's like one good thing a year in a sea of garbage OCAD abortions and drunk teenagers.

This is unfortunately the truth. It really is what you make of it. People say they love it if they landed a great group of people to go out with and could poke fun or laugh at the events and exhibits of the evening. And the whole night 'sucked' if they couldn't. It's the same every year. The 'art' is never really what makes or breaks the evening.

Oppo

Oh I don't think I'd agree with that. The art scene here is huge.

I assume they are trying to spread out Nuit Blanche to thin out the crowds a bit. Sounds like it didn't really work.

A couple of years ago I took my dog out to check out the exhibits and I think he was a bit freaked out by the crowds, heh.

Magnus

Oh I don't think I'd agree with that. The art scene here is huge.

I assume they are trying to spread out Nuit Blanche to thin out the crowds a bit. Sounds like it didn't really work.

A couple of years ago I took my dog out to check out the exhibits and I think he was a bit freaked out by the crowds, heh.

But the best part about Nuit Blanche this year was that it was consolidated around 2 or 3 major areas. Everyone I know was raving about it, because the worst shit in previous years was needing to wander for 20-30 minutes in the cold to find the next deplorably boring installation that you'd get tired of after 2 minutes, which prompted the next 20-30 minute walk. Nuit Blanche was really just a long fucking walk, which made who you're with the most important factor of all.

Last night, we loved being close to everything. I don't know. It seemed like so much more of a party than usual. People were dancing in the streets and smiling and having a great time, I thought.

I only audibly heard "where is the art?!" once last night. It was the running joke heard throughout the entire evening for the last 3 or 4 years, something you'd hear people yelling all the time, lol.

My experience is purely anecdotal. Maybe it really was shittier this year, I don't know. I dug it last night. Ping at TIFF was great.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I know it's not me...anybody else notice the increase in smaller goddamn bugs flying around this fall? Not mosquitoes or flies, but gnats? Or something???

dubq

Nuit Blanche was especially annoying this year. I don't know what the setup was, near my condo, but whatever the fuck it was it sounded like an airplane landing outside my window every 10 minutes on the dot, all night long.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I know it's not me...anybody else notice the increase in smaller goddamn bugs flying around this fall? Not mosquitoes or flies, but gnats? Or something???
I really don't remember it being this bad. Plenty of my friends have also brought it up. They're everywhere outside.

Glad to hear I didn't miss anything by skipping out on Nuit Blanche.

What the fuck are you talking about. Anyways, Nuit Blance is always terrible unless you're drunk. Way too many people to appreciate anything.

Oppo

I really don't remember it being this bad. Plenty of my friends have also brought it up. They're everywhere outside.

Glad to hear I didn't miss anything by skipping out on Nuit Blanche.

I've noticed the fruit flies too, they're everywhere in my back yard.

Dyno

I saw the Cirque de Soleil show 'Kurios' in the Portlands. I had front row seats for the very first time in my life! The show is completely amazing. I was awestruck at some of the acts. There is some truly death defying stunts going on. The whole thing was brilliant. It's the best show I've seen in years.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I saw the Cirque de Soleil show 'Kurios' in the Portlands. I had front row seats for the very first time in my life! The show is completely amazing. I was awestruck at some of the acts. There is some truly death defying stunts going on. The whole thing was brilliant. It's the best show I've seen in years.

I saw it too and I totally agree. The set design, the costumes and especially the music were all standouts.

Dyno

I saw it too and I totally agree. The set design, the costumes and especially the music were all standouts.

I could gush about certain acts but won't spoil anything for anyone. Often I was terrified for the performers. I was like "no... Cirque please... what are you doing?"

Top Bottom