• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Intermission at Book of Mormon -I'm crying, this is so funny.

Edit: about Teksavvy, DLs between 2-8am don't count towards the cap, so try and sched game DLs and other stuff for those hours. Steam has the option I know of.

Book of Mormon is one of the best things I have ever seen. Savor it!

Sober

Hmm, this Saturday is Nuite Blanche again.

Dunno if I feel like going or asking anyone to go either, just gonna be streets full of inebriated high schoolers at Dundas square again.

I had to quit playing video games a couple weeks ago due to chronic wrist problems. It's the first time since I was four years old that I haven't been playing games. The last few years or so I've really only played indie games or 3DS games since nothing else appealed to me. But obviously, those are still games.

Feels terrible. As someone that doesn't like watching tv, I find it very frustrating to not be able to play them anymore.

Holy fuck, $0.50/GB overages on Teksavvy are brutal. Anyone have any success getting them to waive the charges (even partially)?

Zap the Cap. On a normal month I usually use up around 200-250GB but October is going to be busy content-wise (game releases and the hockey season starting, mostly) so I'm giving it a shot. So far so good.

Hmm, this Saturday is Nuite Blanche again.

Dunno if I feel like going or asking anyone to go either, just gonna be streets full of inebriated high schoolers at Dundas square again.

After getting punched in the face by some drunk guy who wasn't happy with the fact that I wouldn't buy him a beer - never again!

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Zap the Cap. On a normal month I usually use up around 200-250GB but October is going to be busy content-wise (game releases and the hockey season starting, mostly) so I'm giving it a shot. So far so good.

How much slower is it? I was considering it, but that's my prime Dota hours.

zroid

Banned
I had to quit playing video games a couple weeks ago due to chronic wrist problems. It's the first time since I was four years old that I haven't been playing games. The last few years or so I've really only played indie games or 3DS games since nothing else appealed to me. But obviously, those are still games.

Feels terrible. As someone that doesn't like watching tv, I find it very frustrating to not be able to play them anymore.

That sucks :(

Have you tried playing anything controlled with the Wiimote/Nunchuk? I find them a lot more relaxed in general than traditional controllers. Doesn't cramp up my wrists so much.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Intermission at Book of Mormon -I'm crying, this is so funny.

Edit: about Teksavvy, DLs between 2-8am don't count towards the cap, so try and sched game DLs and other stuff for those hours. Steam has the option I know of.

Book of Mormon is one of the best things I have ever seen. Savor it!
Only been hearing and reading good things about this....

Did you get a moustpad with a rest on it? You can also get them for keyboards as well. Those on top of just some quick tiny stretches help though my shoulder does hurt when i use my mouse too much. I need to get a new desk to move my mouse position...

I thought it would be a problem, but I haven't had an issue with zap the cap yet.

After getting punched in the face by some drunk guy who wasn't happy with the fact that I wouldn't buy him a beer - never again!
I'd fucking kick that guy's ass if that happened.

How much slower is it? I was considering it, but that's my prime Dota hours.

It won't have any effect on your online gaming whatsoever. I don't think ANY game would use THAT much bandwidth.

My connection drops from 25Mbps to 9Mbps. Had no issues streaming HD stuff from Giant Bomb and YouTube and played some of the Bloodborne alpha just fine.

Where you might see some drops is if you have 'several' streams and downloads going at once. Sigh...when my wife is streaming netflix and I'm streaming a game and downloading something at the same time, I do notice some small issues, but not enough to affect much. Even if I have two people streaming and I'm playing TF2, I don't notice any problems. Though it would help if they had good servers in Toronto like the good old days... 10 ping was fucking GLORIOUS!

Zap the Cap sucks. Can't opt-out of it whenever you want if you turn it on for the month. You're basically throwing away money if you have to resort to it.

The current plan I have is currently grandfathered in so I'm stuck with it unless Teksavvy gets their shit together and make some more reasonable pricing structures. The closest cable internet plan they have that's priced the closest to my grandfathered plan is 15 mbps slower. Ridiculous.

Zap the Cap sucks. Can't opt-out of it whenever you want if you turn it on for the month. You're basically throwing away money if you have to resort to it.

How? I'm spending four hours of my day at 9Mbps in exchange for unlimited service. Beats waiting until 2am to download something large and leaving my computer on all night.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

The current plan I have is currently grandfathered in so I'm stuck with it unless Teksavvy gets their shit together and make some more reasonable pricing structures. The closest cable internet plan they have that's priced the closest to my grandfathered plan is 15 mbps slower. Ridiculous.

???

The option should be there. They basically want you on it for an entire month and not to turn it on or off whenever you feel like it.

9Mbps is ok...I can get an HD stream off netflix for about 4.5 or so. So, if you have several people sucking up a lot of bandwidth, it isn't that great, but they do offer unlimited for extra money.

Nothing will compare to what I had in Korea... :'(

mr.rager

They finally got me. Today, I had to surrender my OG Health Card for the new photo ones :( Sad day.

Nothing beat Korean/Japanese internet. To be honest tho, it's not so bad for me. We pay 80 bucks a month for Rogers internet which is about 10 bucks more than what my brother and I paid in Japan. Both are unlimited, the only difference was the speed. Even with the speed difference, I don't really notice it cause I don't download much.

I do miss the TV tho, everything in HD plus a bazillion channels.

zICgSZ0.png

Spl1nter

This was my favorite today:

@ddale8
Doug Ford also suggests, like Rob Ford did, that there are no road-lane closures when you're building underground transit.

Daniel Dale retweeted
@GraphicMatt
Like it's so obviously false. There are literally places you can go in Toronto right now where you'd be like, "Whoa, that's totally false."

???

The option should be there. They basically want you on it for an entire month and not to turn it on or off whenever you feel like it.

9Mbps is ok...I can get an HD stream off netflix for about 4.5 or so. So, if you have several people sucking up a lot of bandwidth, it isn't that great, but they do offer unlimited for extra money.

I'm sharing my cable internet amongst 2 netflix/youtube watching family members. We nearly go over the limit every month. Summer months are even worse because of all the free days.

Windam

Scaley member
I've had unlimited bandwidth (from Rogers) for like a year now. Feels good downloading anything and everything all day every day just because I can.

Magnus

Free to a good home in Toronto:

A 360 HD DVD Drive with AC adapter
8 movies: Batman Begins, Lost in Translation, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Transformers, Children of Men, Brokeback Mountain, V for Vendetta and Constantine.

Brokeback Mountain and Children of Men are both functional as DVDs as well. (Hybrid discs)

Talk to me and I'm happy to meet up somewhere downtown or a little further west on Queen.

They finally got me. Today, I had to surrender my OG Health Card for the new photo ones :( Sad day.

This sentiment is pervasive and always puzzled me. What was desirable about the old ones?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You never have to renew it.

I will keep my red and white card with my barely visible childish signature and no laminate any day over the new ones.

I know we've brought this up before...dating yourself there ;)

I was born in TO and moved back here after living in Shitmonton...I believe I came back just after they mandated that stupid photo card bullshit. Even though it's government issued, it's not government id...

jl4855

You never have to renew it.

I will keep my red and white card with my barely visible childish signature and no laminate any day over the new ones.

friend who worked at moh said hold out as long as you can even when they do ask you to trade yours in.. but yeah eventually they will get to everyone.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I know we've brought this up before...dating yourself there ;)

People younger than me still have theirs! :p

Is that....is that some kind of ordeal? It's like one form. I think you even just do it online now.

And you have to go in to take your picture, bring your health card, proof of citizenship, Ontario residency, and proof of identity.

I don't have to any of this now. Not much different from getting your license renewed but just a pain.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Kuro leave Kat alone!

My red and white card doesn't even have a signature on it. I printed my name out on the back.

Even better than a signature.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
People younger than me still have theirs! :p

And you have to go in to take your picture, bring your health card, proof of citizenship, Ontario residency, and proof of identity.

I don't have to any of this now. Not much different from getting your license renewed but just a pain.
Last time I went for a renewal, they said my LAST fucking card wasn't ID enough so I had to get a birth certificate. But since it was laminated, they didn't accept that either. Fuck renewal health cards. They're...worse than EM with a NINTENDO sale!

mr.rager

I dread the day this happens to me.

I got the notice before and ignored it but I received a letter yesterday saying it was the final notice or else they'd suspend my coverage.

This sentiment is pervasive and always puzzled me. What was desirable about the old ones?

To me, there's just something about having the original health card. Probably cause it's one of the things I still have since I was little. Dat sentimental value yo. And it looks a lot better than the new ones. Canada colors!!!

Fugu

Is Google Maps good enough for public transit directions here or should I get the Transit app?
It works alright but it doesn't seem to understand the TTC's "we don't believe in schedules" policy so it makes the routes it plans appear more concrete than they actually are. In other words, you should give yourself like an extra ten minutes or so if google expects you to transfer to/from a frequent service line.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
It works alright but it doesn't seem to understand the TTC's "we don't believe in schedules" policy so it makes the routes it plans appear more concrete than they actually are. In other words, you should give yourself like an extra ten minutes or so if google expects you to transfer to/from a frequent service line.
Yeah you can be 10 min early or 15 min late. Google maps for some reason didn't display a direct route to the subway for me and insisted I take a streetcar to Queen station to go North on the subway when I can get to Pape station much faster and ride the subway across and then up.

Blackhead

Redarse
weather sucks so much. I'm still wearing shorts. haven't even got a chance to show off the new sweater (I bought at beginning of summer sales lol). Or can I wear sweaters and shorts; is that in fashion?
Is Google Maps good enough for public transit directions here or should I get the Transit app?
Why not both? (By the way, iOS or Android)? Use Transit app for quickly checking when the next vehicle arrives and use the Google Maps for directions. Transit app partially uses Google Maps anyway...
TTC provides real-time vehicle location info now. An icon of where the bus/streetcar currently is should show up in the Transit app map view

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
weather sucks so much. I'm still wearing shorts. haven't even got a chance to show off the new sweater (I bought at beginning of summer sales lol). Or can I wear sweaters and shorts; is that in fashion?

Why not both? (By the way, iOS or Android)? Use Transit app for quickly checking when the next vehicle arrives and use the Google Maps for directions. Transit app partially uses Google Maps anyway...

TTC provides real-time vehicle location info now. An icon of where the bus/streetcar currently is should show up in the Transit app map view
#teamwarmrevengance

Top Bottom