• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Sch1sm

Yeah. It's like they don't know they're just a generic fast food chain. I go there because it's the closest place to my apartment to get food.

Has anyone tried Fresh Burger? One opened up near my place on Church a little while ago. Going by their website, it seems to be the second store in a "chain." The other one is way out in Richmond Hill. I tried it today and it was all right. Much cheaper than Hero.

Did it have as many options as Hero?

zroid

Banned
Yeah. It's like they don't know they're just a generic fast food chain. I go there because it's the closest place to my apartment to get food.

Has anyone tried Fresh Burger? One opened up near my place on Church a little while ago. Going by their website, it seems to be the second store in a "chain." The other one is way out in Richmond Hill. I tried it today and it was all right. Much cheaper than Hero.

Hmmm it's right by the 404 so that's not too bad for me. Might check it out.

Windam

Scaley member
Back home in da Scarbz after an 8 hour marathon of the Hobbit trilogy at Scotiabank Theatre. My neck is now feeling the pain after sitting for 8 hours.

They have a few cute waitresses at the Korean places...that is when they're not old grannies with perms./QUOTE]

One of the waitresses was a granny. The other one was pretty (but according to Smelly, "like 30... way too old!"), but there was a random picture of a very pretty girl on one of the bottles of water we got.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
One of the waitresses was a granny. The other one was pretty (but according to Smelly, "like 30... way too old!"), but there was a random picture of a very pretty girl on one of the bottles of water we got.

So smelly really is clueless (tokens), racist (kave_mans), and ageist (30 too old)...probably Asianist as well, SMELLY, YOU BASTARD! I'M TELLING YOU OUR PEAMEAL BACON SANDWICHES ARE A LOCAL SPECIALTY!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Wtf is peameal

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peameal_bacon

Peameal bacon (also known as cornmeal bacon) is a type of bacon originating in Toronto, Canada. The name reflects the historic practice of rolling the cured and trimmed boneless loin in dried and ground yellow peas, originally for preservation reasons. Since the war years, it has been rolled in ground yellow cornmeal. It is low in fat, and slow cured.

http://www.seetorontonow.com/my-toronto/the-must-eats-of-torontos-historic-st-lawrence-market/

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peameal_bacon

Peameal bacon (also known as cornmeal bacon) is a type of bacon originating in Toronto, Canada. The name reflects the historic practice of rolling the cured and trimmed boneless loin in dried and ground yellow peas, originally for preservation reasons. Since the war years, it has been rolled in ground yellow cornmeal. It is low in fat, and slow cured.

http://www.seetorontonow.com/my-toronto/the-must-eats-of-torontos-historic-st-lawrence-market/

The fuck is that, do I have to try it, and if so, where

Willectro

Banned
The fuck is that, do I have to try it, and if so, where

Holy shit, dude. You gotta get on that. Peameal Bacon is one of my favourite meats. So tender and delicious. There is no better breakfast meat in my opinion.

RFHwF18.jpg

Any decent breakfast place in (at least in Ontario) will have eggs and peameal bacon. Peameal bacon sandwiches at the St. Lawrence Market are absolutely amazing. So simple, so delicious, and probably not great for you.

When I was in Montreal I had a Peameal Bacon Poutine. Life was good.

Smiley90

Yes. Check. Link. -_-

Definitely should go to St Lawrence Market

Ah I thought that was just a link to the explanation :lol

I actually walked by the St. Lawrence market but it looked empty/closed... turns out there's two buildings and I only walked by the farmer's market one? Whoops. :p

Yeah fresh burger is perfectly fine for a plain burger that's done well. It's doesn't have the variety of burger priest or holy chucks but its still a decent burger.

zroid

Banned
holy shit TTC to accept debit and credit

it's like we're in the 20th century! i'll give Tory credit he's not wasting time in getting the little (yet important) things done

Smiley90

holy shit TTC to accept debit and credit

it's like we're in the 20th century! i'll give Tory credit he's not wasting time in getting the little (yet important) things done

Only for fares above 10 dollars tho

mr.rager

So... getting in on this amiibo craze after talking to EM and Quad about ridiculous resell prices on certain figures. Shulk is EBGames exclusive and limited in stock. Got 3 on preorder lol

Roto13

So... getting in on this amiibo craze after talking to EM and Quad about ridiculous resell prices on certain figures. Shulk is EBGames exclusive and limited in stock. Got 3 on preorder lol

Pre-orders for that are finally up? Thanks for the heads up.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, dude. You gotta get on that. Peameal Bacon is one of my favourite meats. So tender and delicious. There is no better breakfast meat in my opinion.

RFHwF18.jpg

Any decent breakfast place in (at least in Ontario) will have eggs and peameal bacon. Peameal bacon sandwiches at the St. Lawrence Market are absolutely amazing. So simple, so delicious, and probably not great for you.

When I was in Montreal I had a Peameal Bacon Poutine. Life was good.

When I was young I used to call it Yummy Bacon, since I didn't know it was called peameal bacon.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Ah I thought that was just a link to the explanation :lol

I actually walked by the St. Lawrence market but it looked empty/closed... turns out there's two buildings and I only walked by the farmer's market one? Whoops. :p
It's open today for sure. You walked by the farmer's market and dun goofed.
I have lived here for 26 years and never been to the St. Lawrence Market ¯_(ツ)_/¯
You should go at least once for the food, it's awesome there.

you monster! >=[
When I was young I used to call it Yummy Bacon, since I didn't know it was called peameal bacon.
Well it is correct.
Count me on the side of peameal bacon being fucking disgusting. #TeamRealBacon
D:
You, sir are worse than...Justin Bieber
shameful.
Exactly!

Rinoa

Our transit system is truly in the dark age. I don't need a revisit to Tokyo to feel it.

I have lived here for 26 years and never been to the St. Lawrence Market ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I never went often as a kid because it's far as hell from the annex and we didn't have car to park/lug things from there. Now that I'm an adult my inner azn side hates the prices there and still don't go unless have to.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Our transit system is truly in the dark age. I don't need a revisit to Tokyo to feel it.

I never went often as a kid because it's far as hell from the annex and we didn't have car to park/lug things from there. Now that I'm an adult my inner azn side hates the prices there and still don't go unless have to.
Tokyo was spectacular and the transit system there is phenomenal, but I'd say Seoul has all that and it's a more modern and foreign friendly system. Too bad it stops at midnight and wherever you stop at midnight is your last stop.

I just go for lunch; I rarely go buy food there even if it is relative close to where I am.

Quick

Banned
http://t.co/u2M9hlt9Mv
As per that motherfucking lurker EM, here's a poll for the next thread title. He's gonna get on his knees and blo...er...beg Stump for his password.

I like the Buzzfeed clickbait one.

I've only been there once. This seems to be close to my reaction to the prices when I was there.

Rinoa

Tokyo was spectacular and the transit system there is phenomenal, but I'd say Seoul has all that and it's a more modern and foreign friendly system. Too bad it stops at midnight and wherever you stop at midnight is your last stop.

I just go for lunch; I rarely go buy food there even if it is relative close to where I am.

I thought Japan's was pretty foreign friendly, my little brother who doesn't know a lick of Japanese has been able to get around on his own each time he went. I'm thinking of trying Seoul in a few years but the weather seems like Toronto but more extreme, when is a good time..

I've only been there once. This seems to be close to my reaction to the prices when I was there.

I need my 29 cent bananas.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Japan's was pretty foreign friendly, my little brother who doesn't know a lick of Japanese has been able to get around on his own each time he went. I'm thinking of trying Seoul in a few years but the weather seems like Toronto but more extreme, when is a good time..
Oh I don't mean to imply Tokyo's isn't - Seoul's is just more friendly; stop announcements in Korean, English, Mandarin, and Japanese along with the interactive maps on the subway platforms. Tokyo has those rapid lines that o haven't gotten used to yet though so there are multiple ways to get to where you need. LOL TTC!

Weather there isn't generally cold though it can get a bit humid in the summer; it's like Toronto but not as cold and a more humid actually. Early winter, spring, fall, or early summers are good. Just a fair warning that if there's one thing I love about Tokyo over Seoul it's the insect population. Seoul has some mighty aggressive mosquitoes and Busan and Jeju Island have some annoying and aggressive mosquitoes.

Seoul is a female shopper's heaven though. You'll love it.

Rinoa

Oh I don't mean to imply Tokyo's isn't - Seoul's is just more friendly; stop announcements in Korean, English, Mandarin, and Japanese along with the interactive maps on the subway platforms. Tokyo has those rapid lines that o haven't gotten used to yet though so there are multiple ways to get to where you need. LOL TTC!

Weather there isn't generally cold though it can get a bit humid in the summer; it's like Toronto but not as cold and a more humid actually. Early winter, spring, fall, or early summers are good. Just a fair warning that if there's one thing I love about Tokyo over Seoul it's the insect population. Seoul has some mighty aggressive mosquitoes and Busan and Jeju Island have some annoying and aggressive mosquitoes.

Seoul is a female shopper's heaven though. You'll love it.

Friend just got me a SONOVI bag, we both were eyeing them in 2010 and I totally forgot. Koreans really know how to make the superior cute stuff, especially stationery and bag things. When I was in Tokyo I had to pay a premium for Korean brando.

Smiley90

I was in Toronto for 4 days and I hate the TTC. Stuck underground in a non-moving subway without service for an hour on the way to the airport, service broke down and now I'm cabbing -.-

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I was in Toronto for 4 days and I hate the TTC. Stuck underground in a non-moving subway without service for an hour on the way to the airport, service broke down and now I'm cabbing -.-

To be fair, the TTC is only shit on days that end with a Y

Magnus

Is the job market for full-time salaried jobs garbage in Toronto or is it just me/my field? (Communications/PR)

Lots of interviews but I constantly get told that they loved me but it went to an internal candidate. I'm so tired of this. Can't build a future on constantly hustling for freelance.

Top Bottom