• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

I got drenched today. I've never used am umbrella in my life. Fuck umbrellas.

Got my 649 ticket played as well. If I win I will make it rain nickels at the next GAF meet up.

Quick

Banned
If I win that lottery, I'll build a subway
from my home to T&T

ibmD54ULCElbTX.gif

Hey Toronto-GAF, I was wondering how comfortable can you live in Canada (particularly in Ontario and Alberta) with a salary of roughly 45-50k (a year)?

I'm obviously not including living in Toronto (super expensive I guess), but the surrounding areas or cities, or even places in Alberta like Calgary and Edmonton.

Speaking of Toronto and Video games, Toronto-developed Guacamelee is coming out on PSN today for PS3 and Vita. The reviews are really positive.

I was thinking about this post again today because I've been playing "Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP" and really like it. I guess that was developed in Toronto as well.

So besides that one and Guacamelee, are there any more awesome indie games by Toronto developers?

Hey Toronto-GAF, I was wondering how comfortable can you live in Canada (particularly in Ontario and Alberta) with a salary of roughly 45-50k (a year)?

I'm obviously not including living in Toronto (super expensive I guess), but the surrounding areas or cities, or even places in Alberta like Calgary and Edmonton.
You can live in Toronto on 45-50k a year. You can live anywhere on 45-50k a year. Especially true if single with no kids.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

You can live in Toronto making much less than that. Of course, I've worked with developers that struggle making $60k per year because they can't control their impulse buys, but still. Suburbs of the GTA can be cheaper, or more expensive depending on where you're at. If being downtown is an attractive option for you, you should be able to afford it.

If you live with a roommate with a similar income, you'll live decently in Toronto. If you go at it alone, I think you'll be okay, far from paycheque to paycheque living.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Canada&city=Toronto

It's 3.25 in York Region!

Ha! I wish! It's $3.75. :'(

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Alberta has fewer taxes and for the love of all that tis holy go to Calgary not Shitmonton. There are more jobs out west than Ontario, gas is cheaper I believe, and summers are nicer.

Winters really really suck over there though. Much as I hate winter here it is so much better than Alberta. (Winter still sucks)

Ha! I wish! It's $3.75. :'(
damn... lol, well I think that it's way too much because in my country a bus ticket is just 50 cents! (25 cents if you're a student).

Obviously the service quality is way worse, but at least there's no arrival schedules :p. Buses just pass by every 5 minutes!

Alberta has fewer taxes and for the love of all that tis holy go to Calgary not Shitmonton. There are more jobs out west than Ontario, gas is cheaper I believe, and summers are nicer.

Winters really really suck over there though. Much as I hate winter here it is so much better than Alberta. (Winter still sucks)
Deadmonton isn't THAT bad. I seriously don't understand the hate :p. Sure, the city is a little bit depressing, but it's a nice place to live!

Wtf you serious? Did York just raise fares like Peel recently? This is insane.

Presto is still the way to go. I'm not sure why is Presto cheaper than cash fare? Is there a reasoning behind it?

It was $3.00 in 2009, then $3.25 in 2011, $3.50 in 2012, $3.75 in 2013. The beauty of privatization >_<

But yeah, I agree with you, <3 Presto. It's cheaper because they want to encourage use and phase out tickets/tokens, I believe.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
This rate it'll be 5 dollars soon with inflation and with wages growing at cost of living instead of being an actual raise, I wonder if the poor will only get more fucked than they already are.

I don't buy the 'they get less funding' argument. With the way the union has acted in the past and the severe mismanagement of the higher ups, they'd probably blow it on something stupid or give themselves all raises to prevent a strike.

Wasn't there something passed? TO drivers must be paid the highest or some shit?

Roto13

I was thinking about this post again today because I've been playing "Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP" and really like it. I guess that was developed in Toronto as well.

So besides that one and Guacamelee, are there any more awesome indie games by Toronto developers?

DrinkBox's last game before Guacamelee, Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack is fantastic, and it's on Steam.

Yeah, Sound Shapes is really cool. Basically, Toronto rules the PSN Store.

Dyad's another PS3 exclusive, but it's apparently getting a PC release really soon.

They Bleed Pixels was developed in Toronto, and it's on Steam. It's really fun but also really hard.

My friend runs a blog that partially focuses on Canada-developed video games. Also a lot of Nintendo games. :p

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I think the median Toronto family income floats around 68k a year, so I think you'd be just fine with 50k as an individual.

Stet

Banned
DrinkBox's last game before Guacamelee, Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack is fantastic, and it's on Steam.

Yeah, Sound Shapes is really cool. Basically, Toronto rules the PSN Store.

Dyad's another PS3 exclusive, but it's apparently getting a PC release really soon.

They Bleed Pixels was developed in Toronto, and it's on Steam. It's really fun but also really hard.

My friend runs a blog that partially focuses on Canada-developed video games. Also a lot of Nintendo games. :p

If your friend gets me a writing job in the industry I'll come to the next Toronto-GAF meet.

This rate it'll be 5 dollars soon with inflation and with wages growing at cost of living instead of being an actual raise, I wonder if the poor will only get more fucked than they already are.

I don't buy the 'they get less funding' argument. With the way the union has acted in the past and the severe mismanagement of the higher ups, they'd probably blow it on something stupid or give themselves all raises to prevent a strike.

Wasn't there something passed? TO drivers must be paid the highest or some shit?

TTC definitely has a funding problem. TTC's farebox recovery is around 75%, the highest in North America by far. It is therefore by definition, the most efficiently run system in NA by cost. The other 25% is funded by the City of Toronto (the municipality). Compare this to New York which is 55% farebox, some 20% municipal, 15% state, and 10% federal.

And as a bonus, York Region is funded 35% farebox (despite the high fare!) and 65% municipal. YRT drivers are paid $23/hr while TTC drivers are paid $30-$35/hr. However, YRT is a suburban/rural system so you have to cut it some slack.

Anyway, enough about politics, let's talk about the beautiful weather we're having!

EUCqHxp.png

Not sure if Willie will be alive by next year...

If you're looking exclusively Console side:
Drinkbox - The previously mentioned Guacamelee, Tales From Space: Mutant Blob series
Metanet Software - N+
Capybara Games - Sword and Sorcery, Critter Crunch, their next game should be Super Time Force
Queasy Games - Everyday Shooter

Once you start reaching out to PC/mobile, then it just becomes too long to list.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
If you're looking exclusively Console side:
Drinkbox - The previously mentioned Guacamelee, Tales From Space: Mutant Blob series
Metanet Software - N+
Capybara Games - Sword and Sorcery, Critter Crunch, their next game should be Super Time Force
Queasy Games - Everyday Shooter

Once you start reaching out to PC/mobile, then it just becomes too long to list.

Why aren't you making a game for us yet? :(

Why aren't you making a game for us yet? :(
No money, shitty programmer. :( Once you step out of the midsize teams (likes of Capybara -IIRC, around 40+ or Drinkbox, IIRC around 10+), you're suddenly looking at the lead being a fairly strong programmer or strong art that can push a game through from start to finish. Shawn McGrath (Dyad) knows what's he's doing when he programmed the bulk of that game; and the indie games with strong artists often lend out their talents for contract gigs to keep funding their project. No one wants just a designer who can do neither... :(

But yeah, enough about me. There's a lot of really interesting stuff with the indie scene in Toronto. Which reminds me.

TO Game Jam (TOJam for short) is May 3-5, and registration is on the 15th. Not sure if anyone is interested here. Read about it here: http://www.tojam.ca/home/default.asp

Actually, I've started to mostly play games on the PC lately.. so if there are any real standout games other than the ones you mentioned, I would love to hear about them.
Seems like some real interesting stuff coming out of the city right now.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Catalyst Capital Group wants to merge WIND Mobile and Mobilicity

This private equity investment firm manages a portfolio of over $3 billion, owns a portion of Mobilicity&#8217;s outstanding bonds, and looks to be gunning for WIND Mobile. Apparently they specialize &#8220;in buying distressed assets such as debt&#8221; and the Globe and Mail is reporting that they have dreams of merging both WIND Mobile and Mobilicity, essentially creating a larger 4th national carrier.

Ok I guess

Apart from a partnership between Naguib Sawiris&#8217; Accelero Capital and Lacavera&#8217;s AAL Corp., Rogers and Telus are rumoured to be interested in picking up WIND Mobile.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
m4ZqzgC.gif

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

whitehawk

Banned
Catalyst Capital Group wants to merge WIND Mobile and Mobilicity

Ok I guess

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
m4ZqzgC.gif
Oh god dammit. Wind better not sell out.

Sober

I'm drunk too! We'll get the details of the monster hunter thing next TO meetup. Speaking of which, does Kraftwerk have a date/location set yet? I need WVRST in my veins.
Yeah just curious if the 19 is still going to be a thing or are we waiting for somewhat warmer weather for the meetup?

Brinbe

So the Leafs blow out the Habs, Jays win, Raps win (last night), and TFC manages to not lose... rare times for a sports fan in this city, let us enjoy it!

Kraftwerk

Yeah just curious if the 19 is still going to be a thing or are we waiting for somewhat warmer weather for the meetup?

Not this week. As I said before; based on people not being able to make this week and the weather being shit, it will be later.

Top Bottom