• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT3| Going Off the Rails on a Gravy Train

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
That's why it's an advantage to have a badge. It can be a real attitude-changer in such situations, lol.
Years ago I found a police union newsletter and I proceeded to leave it on my dashboard and park illegally while never getting a ticket for almost two months. The saddest day was when I forgot to take it off my dash and it went flying out the window. :(

Can you hook me up with one of your old ones? :p

Liberty4all

Banned
Herr are two of my fav Toronto pics I took last year from my condo.

HajF2FN.jpg

Oppo

I'm a cyclist and I hate those folks who ride on the sidewalk and switch in/out of traffic too. They are screwing it up for everyone. I see lots of bad driver behaviour but sadly the cyclists seem worse, and that's the people around me on bikes.

At the same time I do not like getting yelled at because I am in the road. I usually pull up to left turn lanes or center lanes like a car would (to avoid blocking the right hand turn lane at lights). Doesn't matter that I can accelerate faster than a lot of these cars, they just hate seeing a bike in front of them even for an instant, some people.

Willectro

Banned
I'm a cyclist and I hate those folks who ride on the sidewalk and switch in/out of traffic too. They are screwing it up for everyone. I see lots of bad driver behaviour but sadly the cyclists seem worse, and that's the people around me on bikes.

At the same time I do not like getting yelled at because I am in the road. I usually pull up to left turn lanes or center lanes like a car would (to avoid blocking the right hand turn lane at lights). Doesn't matter that I can accelerate faster than a lot of these cars, they just hate seeing a bike in front of them even for an instant, some people.

Riding on the sidewalk is completely ignorant. Everything else, to be fair to cyclists, is really a reaction to their surroundings. This city was built without transit/cycling/walking in mind. One thing I do feel adamant about is banning/requiring licences for those fucking e-bikes. There seems to be an extremely high correlation between owning an e-bike and being a moron (riding on sidewalks, bike lanes (the few we have), and weaving in and out of traffic. I think the punishment fits the crime as people look like douches riding around on those things.

cbox

I've done that. And then it occurs to me, there is no situation in which yelling at someone because they're being a jackass will end with them saying "sorry, thanks for correcting my jackassery, I'll stop now."

And so I've given up. I am opting to leave such things to karma.

Yeah you're right, it's just more of a knee-jerk reaction for me now because it happens so much haha.

Oppo

One thing I do feel adamant about is banning/requiring licences for those fucking e-bikes. There seems to be an extremely high correlation between owning an e-bike and being a moron (riding on sidewalks, bike lanes (the few we have), and weaving in and out of traffic. I think the punishment fits the crime as people look like douches riding around on those things.

They already studied those for 3 years, though. They can't go above 32KPH. I do see idiots on those but I don't think it's any higher than what I see on normal bikes (or personal mobility devices for that matter).

Full disclosure: I have one of those fucking things. Two actually (one is a scooter style, one looks like a beefy mountain bike). I'm pretty cognizant of how they are perceived. But I use mine to get dog food and groceries, and I use bike lanes whenever possible.

The big problem with those scooter e-bikes is that I suspect there's a bunch of DUI-convicted people riding them around because their license was suspended, and you cannot actually do that – the law extended the banning to those as well with DUI convictions, but they won't get caught until a cop actually checks.

Willectro

Banned
They already studied those for 3 years, though. They can't go above 32KPH. I do see idiots on those but I don't think it's any higher than what I see on normal bikes (or personal mobility devices for that matter).

Full disclosure: I have one of those fucking things. Two actually (one is a scooter style, one looks like a beefy mountain bike). I'm pretty cognizant of how they are perceived. But I use mine to get dog food and groceries, and I use bike lanes whenever possible.

The big problem with those scooter e-bikes is that I suspect there's a bunch of DUI-convicted people riding them around because their license was suspended, and you cannot actually do that – the law extended the banning to those as well with DUI convictions, but they won't get caught until a cop actually checks.

Makes sense. There seems to be a grey around these, however. I think if you have a motor of any type (unless because of disability/wheelchair) and want to ride in on roads, you should fall under moped rules. It would be impossible for Police to verify that every e-bike operated under a certain speed or engine size.

When I was younger, the police had nothing better to do than give us shit for riding around (in rural/forested areas, around/east of Oshawa) on mini bikes. They seemed to have a lot of time to devote to pursuing us (unsuccessfully).

Oppo

Makes sense. There seems to be a grey around these, however. I think if you have a motor of any type (unless because of disability/wheelchair) and want to ride in on roads, you should fall under moped rules. It would be impossible for Police to verify that every e-bike operated under a certain speed or engine size.

There are 3 classes of this type of vehicle: motorcycles, LSMs (limited-speed motorcycles) and ebikes. LSMs are things like mopeds that can go over 32 KPH (but under, I think, 60 KPH). You need a license/reg for those. ebikes are under 32 KPH, only require age 16 and a helmet.

Scooter ebikes have these 500 watt motors (if they are lucky), and battery limits. They will struggle to get up a steep hill. They also have to have stickers in place and are inspected on import. So while you are right, there just aren't any "souped up" ebikes out there. The battery/motor/cost limits basically enforce that.

My pedelec ebike - i.e. the one that looks like a mountain bike (stromer.ca if you are curious) is frankly way, way more dangerous, and no one bats an eye at that. I will say that I sort of agree with not having these scooter type ones on bike paths as that is somewhat ridiculous, but at the same time you wouldn't ban someone in a motorized wheelchair from riding one...

Also i don't like that many ebike manufacturers get around the "sidewalk limit" by just using small wheels. Technically that is the legal definition of what can ride on the sidewalk (i.e. little kids, mobility scooters) but I think everyone would agree that it would be bullshit to drive something the size of a Vespa down the sidewalk.

I've read a lot about EVs, I'm fascinated by them, but there are some teething issues.

zroid

Banned
I just saw the Conservative attack ad against Trudeau. I'm laughing my ass off. :lol

I seriously had to do a double take. For a second, I thought I was watching This Hour has 22 Minutes.

Stet

Banned
I just saw the Conservative attack ad against Trudeau. I'm laughing my ass off. :lol

I seriously had to do a double take. For a second, I thought I was watching This Hour has 22 Minutes.

I love that they pulled a quote of his from 14 years ago. I wish we had footage of Harper at 27.

"Well I don't want to say anything definitive about that, but if you're asking whether or not I would devour the soul of my wife if she burned my dinner I'd have to say yes, definitely.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I love that they pulled a quote of his from 14 years ago. I wish we had footage of Harper at 27.

"Well I don't want to say anything definitive about that, but if you're asking whether or not I would devour the soul of my wife if she burned my dinner I'd have to say yes, definitely.
How does one devour one's wife's soul...?

Just asking... D:

Azih

Is this the Conservative equivalent of the god damn stupid Paul Martin HARPER WILL INVADE THE CITIES WITH JACK BOOTED THUGS. WE'RE NOT KIDDING! ad?

Willectro

Banned
There are 3 classes of this type of vehicle: motorcycles, LSMs (limited-speed motorcycles) and ebikes. LSMs are things like mopeds that can go over 32 KPH (but under, I think, 60 KPH). You need a license/reg for those. ebikes are under 32 KPH, only require age 16 and a helmet.

Scooter ebikes have these 500 watt motors (if they are lucky), and battery limits. They will struggle to get up a steep hill. They also have to have stickers in place and are inspected on import. So while you are right, there just aren't any "souped up" ebikes out there. The battery/motor/cost limits basically enforce that.

My pedelec ebike - i.e. the one that looks like a mountain bike (stromer.ca if you are curious) is frankly way, way more dangerous, and no one bats an eye at that. I will say that I sort of agree with not having these scooter type ones on bike paths as that is somewhat ridiculous, but at the same time you wouldn't ban someone in a motorized wheelchair from riding one...

Also i don't like that many ebike manufacturers get around the "sidewalk limit" by just using small wheels. Technically that is the legal definition of what can ride on the sidewalk (i.e. little kids, mobility scooters) but I think everyone would agree that it would be bullshit to drive something the size of a Vespa down the sidewalk.

I've read a lot about EVs, I'm fascinated by them, but there are some teething issues.

Interesting insights. Just out of curiosity, what would one of those Stromer bikes cost approximately?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Anyone else going to reserve theatre seats for Star Trek?

Is there no UltraAVX or IMAX screenings that aren't in 3D anywhere in Toronto?

What the fuck?

EDIT: Found one all the way at Queensway cinemas, too fucking far away

Kunohara

Anyone else going to reserve theatre seats for Star Trek?

Is there no UltraAVX or IMAX screenings that aren't in 3D anywhere in Toronto?

What the fuck?

EDIT: Found one all the way at Queensway cinemas, too fucking far away

The only IMAX 3D theatre that was near me (where I saw the Hobbit), was the Empress theatre on Yonge and Sheppard, which just closed. Really sucks as that was a nice theatre (and seeing that 9 min preview of Star Trek in IMAX 3D really made me want to see it even more).

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The only IMAX 3D theatre that was near me (where I saw the Hobbit), was the Empress theatre on Yonge and Sheppard, which just closed. Really sucks as that was a nice theatre (and seeing that 9 min preview of Star Trek in IMAX 3D really made me want to see it even more).

Oh shit, I didn't know that Empire closed :( it was so close to me

Man I'm really sick of every high quality theatre screens being relegated to showing only 3D versions.

Oppo

That's steep, but I know decent mountain bikes (without engines) have significantly increased in price over the last several years.

It's very steep. But a lot of the price is a high quality motor (zero maintenance on that thing, magnetic windings) and the battery tech, which is a fancy lithion ion bar as long as my forearm, that goes in the downtube.

There are these conversion kits you can get for any bike though, called BionX. MUCH cheaper. Battery goes where you'd have a carrier.

http://www.bionxinternational.com/na-en/products/

Maybe I should start an ebike thread. Actually I think I did before, and no one took notice. :/

Willectro

Banned
It's very steep. But a lot of the price is a high quality motor (zero maintenance on that thing, magnetic windings) and the battery tech, which is a fancy lithion ion bar as long as my forearm, that goes in the downtube.

There are these conversion kits you can get for any bike though, called BionX. MUCH cheaper. Battery goes where you'd have a carrier.

http://www.bionxinternational.com/na-en/products/

Maybe I should start an ebike thread. Actually I think I did before, and no one took notice. :/

The bikes are nice though, as far as e-bikes go anyway.

Top Bottom