• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthrus

Even though it isn't about Toronto, this seems to be the place to ask.

I'm moving to Oshawa for a year for an internship, and am wondering what people can tell me about the area. I grew up in Calgary, but am at university in Kingston. I don't know anything about it, so any input is useful.

dantehemi said:
Five guys burgers and fries (hwy 7 & weston rd) really good burger..hand formed patty great bun..i recomend. not sure about any other locations...anybody?

Is Five Guys a US franchise?

Arthrus said:

I'm moving to Oshawa for a year for an internship, and am wondering what people can tell me about the area. I grew up in Calgary, but am at university in Kingston. I don't know anything about it, so any input is useful.

I don't know much about Oshawa other than it's an incredibly ugly and boring suburb of Toronto.

Arthrus said:

I heard its the Detroit of Ontario.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
crimzonflame said:
I meant its like Detroit in a bad way.
Hm, I was under the impression Windsor was pretty crap too just by being a border town and especially by bordering with Detroit.

denomes

added_time said:
Also, near Mount Pleasant & Eglinton is "Granite Brewery".
Both are awesome brewers.. I prefer Granite's beers but it's also more narrow in scope as they serve mostly English style Ales.

**also a protip: these brew pubs sell beer to take home in 6 packs or growlers and will sell every day until 11pm. This means they are open on many holidays and late on Sunday nights when the LCBO and Beer Stores are closed.

I live right round the corner from Granite! Cool to see it mentioned here. As you said, I go mostly when I've missed the LCBO. It's very convenient and the growler format inspires fun drunken times because you need to drink the whole thing within 12 hours of opening it or something like that.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Arthrus said:

South Oshawa = crack heads.
North Oshawa = not that bad.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Better to be dead in Toronto, than living in Windsor?

On a positive note for Toronto from that article

few hours down Highway 401 in Toronto, Canada's largest city saw its number of homicides decline for the fourth year in a row.

Not to mention homicide rates in Canada are more around European levels than anything we see in the States.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Man.. it's going to be cold for the 3DS midnight launch. I wonder if Salad King will let us hang out inside for 3 hours.

Firestorm

Just got confirmation that I'll be a seat filler volunteer at the Junos this Sunday =) Just gotta run from ACC to the bus terminal on Bay & Dundas to catch the 11:30 greyhound once it's over >.>;

ConvenientBox said:
Amazed at the amount of terrible drivers this city has... Really now, it's pathetic.

But expected. I just got my M1, so I'm looking forward to experiencing the drivers in a whole new way. Though I prefer Downtown drivers to the ones I've had to endure here in Mississauga.

cbox

TheNiX said:
But expected. I just got my M1, so I'm looking forward to experiencing the drivers in a whole new way. Though I prefer Downtown drivers to the ones I've had to endure here in Mississauga.

Yeah be careful in Mississauga, it's a nightmare driving here. Just stay the HELL away from Brampton on a bike, really it's the worst place to drive.

timnich

If you think Mississauga has bad drivers...well you're right. But stay the hell away from Oakville( west of mississauga). Noone uses turn signals, people just cut other people off, dumbasses drive through red lights ALL THE TIME. Everytime I drive through Oakville I want to kill someone.

Dyno

The Interrobanger said:
I don't know much about Oshawa other than it's an incredibly ugly and boring suburb of Toronto.

And you don't even know that because Oshawa is it's own city. You have to leave Toronto, travel through Ajax, through Pickering, and then you get to Oshawa.

You keep Toronto out of that shit.

Oppo

man I had dragged out all my patio stuff and everything.

anyone notice that the weather report has been seriously off all winter? Like, by 10º sometimes?

Dyno said:
And you don't even know that because Oshawa is it's own city. You have to leave Toronto, travel through Ajax, through Pickering, and then you get to Oshawa.

You keep Toronto out of that shit.
I know where it is. It's considered part of the GTA aka it's a fucking suburb.

Firestorm said:
Just got confirmation that I'll be a seat filler volunteer at the Junos this Sunday =) Just gotta run from ACC to the bus terminal on Bay & Dundas to catch the 11:30 greyhound once it's over >.>;
I'm sorry for all the bad music and non-celebrities you're going to have to endure. No one should ever have to be in the same room as Ben Mulroney.

timnich said:
If you think Mississauga has bad drivers...well you're right. But stay the hell away from Oakville( west of mississauga). Noone uses turn signals, people just cut other people off, dumbasses drive through red lights ALL THE TIME. Everytime I drive through Oakville I want to kill someone.
I'm originally from Oakville, but I'm a city driver. I scare my brother with the way I drive when I'm in Oakville, but I guess that's because Oakville drivers do indeed seem to be oblivious and living in a cloud.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Interrobanger said:

I always find it interesting that Oshawa is part of the Toronto CMA, but Hamilton, at roughly the same distance is not.

cbox

added_time said:
I was jumping around in it this morning! Love the stuff!

I love snow as much as the next winter-lover, but I haven't done that since I was 10 :(

I don't necessarily hate snow, but I hate what comes with it - such as salt ruining my car, slush and moron drivers who don't know how to handle it.

I just wish it was Fall all year, autumn ftw goddamit.

Roto13

I generally like snow but it's almost April and I am fucking OVER it. I took the lining out of my coat, turning it from a winter coat to a spring jacket, and it's not going back in. That's done. My winter is over. Snow can suck my dick.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ConvenientBox said:
I love snow as much as the next winter-lover, but I haven't done that since I was 10 :(

I don't necessarily hate snow, but I hate what comes with it - such as salt ruining my car, slush and moron drivers who don't know how to handle it.

I just wish it was Fall all year, autumn ftw goddamit.
WATUP

COME AT ME BRO

Dyno

The Interrobanger said:

Is it really? I don't understand that considering they don't vote for our mayor and they are not represented in our municiple council.

I work at City Hall. We have wall-sized maps of the GTA down to the smallest street. No part of Oshawa is displayed.

Dyno said:
Is it really? I don't understand that considering they don't vote for our mayor and they are not represented in our municiple council.

The GTA includes many areas and towns that don't vote for our mayor as you can see on this map:

643px-Greater_toronto_area_map.svg.png

The actual city of Toronto that votes for the mayor makes up only a small part of the GTA.

Dyno said:

I work at City Hall. We have wall-sized maps of the GTA down to the smallest street. No part of Oshawa is displayed.
What do you actually do at City Hall? The GTA =/= Toronto

The Interrobanger said:
Size and Geography
More specifically, there's a calculation based on the dependency of the city to it's neighbouring city, based on economical trades, population, and other similar factors.

If Kitchener was any smaller than it is now, Guelph would be lumped into the GTA, along with Cambridge.

Archer said:
:lol Toronto

Wow. This is your third troll post and the thread is only 6 pages long.

So your first two lame troll attempts weren't enough for you? You just had to come back for the ever impressive "LOL" troll?

You know what I do when I don't like something (for example a video game I don't like)?
I stay the hell out of the thread and leave the discussion to the people that like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom