• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roto13

EvilMario said:
I think it's just the effect of being the 'big city' in Canada. Toronto is in the news a lot, and it can grow tiresome to hear if you're from B.C.

Toronto doesn't ooze the arrogance of a NYC, or LA (which is why San Francisco hates LA), so I don't want to go as far as saying it's because of attitude. In general, I find the 'we're superior' attitude more in Vancouver and Montreal, who constantly have to point out why they're better.
God, I lived in Vancouver before I came here and it's disgusting how arrogant a lot of the people there are. Really, Vancouver isn't that great. It's a very pretty city, but that's about all it has going for it. [EDIT: Well, that and awesome restaurants. I miss you, White Spot.] People keep saying that the weather is so nice there but that's only true if you absolutely hate snow more than anything else in the world. I'll gladly take a couple of months of winter in Toronto over ten months of rain in Vancouver. The cost of living is absurd and the minimum wage is $8 per hour, which is the lowest in Canada. Vancouverites will insist that their warm and friendly and people in Toronto are cold and distant, but in fact Vancouver is incredibly cliquey. I've met more nice people in Toronto in six months than I did in Vancouver for a year and a half. And BC has the nerve to have "The Best Place On Earth" on their license plates.

I don't understand why people live in LA.

Roto13

I think I've seen way more people on the streets wearing Montreal Canadians logos than Toronto Maple Leafs. :p

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
DoctorWho said:
Ottawa hates us because if you ask some Americans, they'll tell you Toronto is the capital of Canada.
Which is ridiculous because we all know it's the center of the Universe.

Firestorm

People out west dislike Toronto for the amount of resources it gets. It's relative to population of course, but it doesn't make people any less resentful of the amount politicians fawn over the area at the expense of the areas they live in.

Also yer all jerkwads.
Roto13 said:
God, I lived in Vancouver before I came here and it's disgusting how arrogant a lot of the people there are. Really, Vancouver isn't that great. It's a very pretty city, but that's about all it has going for it. People keep saying that the weather is so nice there but that's only true if you absolutely hate snow more than anything else in the world. I'll gladly take a couple of months of winter in Toronto over ten months of rain in Vancouver. The cost of living is absurd and the minimum wage is $8 per hour, which is the lowest in Canada. Vancouverites will insist that their warm and friendly and people in Toronto are cold and distant, but in fact Vancouver is incredibly cliquey. I've met more nice people in Toronto in six months than I did in Vancouver for a year and a half. And BC has the nerve to have "The Best Place On Earth" on their license plates.

I don't understand why people live in LA.
haters-gonna-hate.gif

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Firestorm said:
People out west dislike Toronto for the amount of resources it gets. It's relative to population of course, but it doesn't make people any less resentful of the amount politicians fawn over the area at the expense of the areas they live in.

Also yer all jerkwads.
haters-gonna-hate.gif
Toronto pays out a LOT more than we get back. Believe me when I say we may get more than others, but relative to what we get compared to what we pay out? TO gets the old scroogie

grumble

Firestorm said:

Also yer all jerkwads.[IMG ]ht tp://www.henson.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/haters-gonna-hate.gif[/IMG]

Dude. Toronto is a huge piggy bank for the government. It gets screwed to the maximum.

Roto13

You know, I actually still like Vancouver and would spend my summers there if I could, but even now I'm having a hard time writing a post justifying why I want to be there since it really is a stupidly hard place to live and it doesn't even have that much going on. I'd like Vancouver a lot more if it wasn't full of Vancouverites. And hipsters and stoners.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Roto13 said:
You know, I actually still like Vancouver and would spend my summers there if I could, but even now I'm having a hard time writing a post justifying why I want to be there since it really is a stupidly hard place to live and it doesn't even have that much going on. I'd like Vancouver a lot more if it wasn't full of Vancouverites. And hipsters and stoners.

eh...I hate to say there are probably more hipsters and stoners here in TO :p

Firestorm

Roto13 said:
You want to spend the summers there because Southern Ontario is stupid hot and humid :( Also it's nice just lying on the beach and then lighting up a fire to sit around at night by the water

Kinitari said:
Yes. We swallow our pride, and extend the olive branch to you, sir.
haha that is pretty good *salute*

Roto13

Firestorm said:
You want to spend the summers there because Southern Ontario is stupid hot and humid :( Also it's nice just lying on the beach and then lighting up a fire to sit around at night by the water
Also because the summer months are the only time it stops raining in Vancouver and is a pleasant place to be. :p

Firestorm

Roto13 said:
Also because the summer months are the only time it stops raining in Vancouver and is a pleasant place to be. :p
Ah, forest fire season!

And dude January does not a good first impression make in Waterloo. I can't wait 'til it gets more to my speed. I'm used to rain. I'm not used to -15 and then windchill :( I didn't own a winter coat until two months ago lol

dudeworld

Firestorm said:
Ah, forest fire season!

And dude January does not a good first impression make in Waterloo. I can't wait 'til it gets more to my speed. I'm used to rain. I'm not used to -15 and then windchill :( I didn't own a winter coat until two months ago lol

I'd kill for -15 and windchill right now. Here in edmonton it's like -35 with windchill

typo said:
Everyone, just watch this and let's get back to discussing this wonderful city.

Including Sushi D and its amazing Rock Shrimp.

During the 2006 NHL Stanley Cup Finals, he visits Edmonton where he risks his life by wearing a faux Wayne Gretzky Toronto Maple Leafs jersey during the Edmonton Oilers’ Stanley Cup run.[1]

I laughed my ass off when I read that!

I never heard about this Doc. I need to check it out now, thanks, sounds like a really cool Canadian experiment.

Kuro Madoushi said:
Toronto pays out a LOT more than we get back. Believe me when I say we may get more than others, but relative to what we get compared to what we pay out? TO gets the old scroogie

Sounds similar to how we get fucked over in London as we prop up the rest of the country.

FYI

Anyone who travels up past Davisville, keep a look out for the NEW SUBWAY! It looks awesome. This is the one that lets you walk from the beginning of the subway to the end. Should free up a lot of congestion in subway cars. Looks like it's ready to go but I think it might be for show right now. I might get off at Davisville on the way home and take a really good look inside (it's sitting right there but you can't go in it).

Kunohara

DoctorWho said:
FYI

Anyone who travels up past Davisville, keep a look out for the NEW SUBWAY! It looks awesome. This is the one that lets you walk from the beginning of the subway to the end. Should free up a lot of congestion in subway cars. Looks like it's ready to go but I think it might be for show right now. I might get off at Davisville on the way home and take a really good look inside (it's sitting right there but you can't go in it).

That's pretty cool. Does it look different at all? Were you able to see inside?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
DoctorWho said:
FYI

According to @TTCnotices, they're 'testing the new trains' and will update the public soon on when we can expect them to be on the YUS line. I guess they're moving the YUS trains to the BD line afterwards? I believe I heard that somewhere..

Picture of one of the trains from late last year at Wilson Station, via UrbanToronto for those interested:

5287312396_4e834d1d63_z.jpg

And the unveiling video of the trains last November for those that missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azU4f19-meE

No escaping those hobos asking for money, and noisy kids now. I'm definitely more excited for the new streetcars, but they could be quite a ways away.

Kunohara said:
That's pretty cool. Does it look different at all? Were you able to see inside?

I only took a quick glance as I was in a subway of my own. But it definitely looks different as you can see in the pic above.

The big difference about these subway cars is that you can walk from one end of the train to the other. No more "do not open" doors! That's revolutionary for Toronto Transit and should give riders more space.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Air Canada will start flying out of the island airport in May. I'm conflicted. I don't want Air Canada to run Porter out of business by offering cheaps flights, then jacking them up to regular fares once they take Porter's business. On the other hand, competition is good, and Porter's small selection of flights has always been disappointing to me considering I mostly fly to the west coast.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...fly-out-of-toronto-island-starting-may-1?bn=1

firehawk12

Subete no aware
EvilMario said:
Air Canada will start flying out of the island airport in May. I'm conflicted. I don't want Air Canada to run Porter out of business by offering cheaps flights, then jacking them up to regular fares once they take Porter's business. On the other hand, competition is good, and Porter's small selection of flights has always been disappointing to me considering I mostly fly to the west coast.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article...fly-out-of-toronto-island-starting-may-1?bn=1
Now if only there were a bridge to the islands.

Lawl, this city.

EvilMario said:
According to @TTCnotices, they're 'testing the new trains' and will update the public soon on when we can expect them to be on the YUS line. I guess they're moving the YUS trains to the BD line afterwards? I believe I heard that somewhere..

Picture of one of the trains from late last year at Wilson Station, via UrbanToronto for those interested:

5287312396_4e834d1d63_z.jpg

And the unveiling video of the trains last November for those that missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azU4f19-meE

No escaping those hobos asking for money, and noisy kids now. I'm definitely more excited for the new streetcars, but they could be quite a ways away.

that video contains adam. ewwwwww

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Club section most definitely is missing The Guvernment [DT]. Lots of great times at that place back in the day...

So, anyone know of any good social events, happenings, etc. going on in the city? I need to get out more. The long winter season has my girlfriend and I driving each other crazy, and unfortunately all I know what to do with myself anymore is go downtown and window shop.

lunarworks said:
So, anyone know of any good social events, happenings, etc. going on in the city? I need to get out more. The long winter season has my girlfriend and I driving each other crazy, and unfortunately all I know what to do with myself anymore is go downtown and window shop.

You like electronic music, right?

I think the Gold Panda/Dam Mantle show on the 30th at the Drake's gonna be awesome.

Magnus

Can I add my name as another recommendation for A&C Games? Love those guys.

And can I add my name as an anti-recommendation for the Three Brewers? I like their beer and atmosphere, but the service has been ass on numerous occasions, their bathroom is up two stories and then down another two flights on the other side of the restaurant (lousy layout), their in-house signature Flambee pizza things are overpriced and absolutely awful, and the last time I was there, I was served a mixed drink for $8 and the bartender forgot to put any alcohol into it. I was dumbfounded.

Firestorm

lunarworks said:
I think the Tim Burton exhibit is still on. And there's a bunch of stuff happening around the Juno Awards' 40th anniversary.

http://junoawards.ca/

Magnus said:
And can I add my name as an anti-recommendation for the Three Brewers?

I've never been to the Three Brewers but maybe I'll check it out soon since I don't care how food or service is.. I only care about fresh beer! :)

Anyways, to anyone else that likes good beer I have some recommendations for brew pubs in Toronto (a brew pub is a bar that brews their own beer inside the bar and serves it fresh to the customers)

So Duggan's Brewery at Queen & Victoria brews some good beer and quite a wide variety of them at that.
Also, near Mount Pleasant & Eglinton is "Granite Brewery".
Both are awesome brewers.. I prefer Granite's beers but it's also more narrow in scope as they serve mostly English style Ales.

*reminder: I'm only judging these places based on the beer.. I didn't try any food and I never notice if service is bad really.

**also a protip: these brew pubs sell beer to take home in 6 packs or growlers and will sell every day until 11pm. This means they are open on many holidays and late on Sunday nights when the LCBO and Beer Stores are closed.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I just wanted to mention that The Big Guy's Coffee Shop at Roncesvalles and Queens is a godsend. There are a number of organic/fair trade coffees up and down Roncesvalles, but none are as close to the streetcar stop.. and more importantly, none offer prices as reasonable ($1 Americano is the eye catcher, but drip coffee is decent too).

Cozy little place, and I'll definitely start dropping by now when the damn streetcar short turns three times per week.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
A couple of 'events' coming up in Toronto in the next few weeks that may interest some of you;

3DS Launch Event - Saturday, March 26th, from 6:00pm to 12:00 am - Dundas Square: Nintendo is hosting a launch event for the 3DS system, and they'll be taking over Dundas Square offering demo units and winnable swag. Futureshop (and maybe others?) will be open at midnight for the 3DS launch. I will surely be attending this one (by the way, check out the newly relocated Salad King just north of Dundas/Yonge).

Toronto Comic Con - March 18th-20th - Direct Energy Centre
Another year, another Comic Con. It's $25 per person for a single day entry, or $45 for all three days (if you buy prior to the show this weekend). This is not a show I usually attend, but you're likely to see quite a few costumes if you're downtown this weekend. Anime North is coming up the end of May as well, if that's more your thing. Maybe some day we'll have a PAX Canada. ;_;

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
*cricket* *cricket*

Even though this thread is dying, here's something news worthy:

Mammoliti renews push for Toronto Island brothels

Source: http://www.thestar.com/news/article/958062--mammoliti-renews-push-for-toronto-island-brothels?bn=1

If Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti gets his way, ferries full of sex-seekers will steam across the harbour to a Toronto Islands red light district.

Mammoliti has for years said Toronto should regulate and tax brothels, and made the establishment of a distinct prostitution zone a central plank in his aborted run for mayor last year.

Now part of Mayor Rob Ford’s inner circle, Mammoliti (Ward 7, York West) is renewing the push, along with the leafy islands as his top choice for location.

“It’s the political issue that nobody wants to touch,” Mammoliti, chair of the community development and recreation committee, said in an interview Tuesday after making his case in a radio interview.

Mammoliti has for years argued Toronto should regulate and tax brothels, saying unregulated prostitution happens in “massage parlours” in residential communities across the city.

Now, after an Ontario Superior Court ruling last September that struck down prostitution laws — a ruling suspended pending appeal — and the city desperate for new sources of revenue, the time is ripe, he says.

“To put it in an area away from the city might make some sense, and the islands fit the bill,” he said. “The industry exists and we’re not making a penny from it . . . I haven’t raised it with the mayor and his people yet, but I will.”

Asked if a red light district would take away from the island’s wholesome family vibe, he responded: “I’m not sure how wholesome it is with the whole nude beach,” referring to clothing-optional Hanlan’s Point Beach. “If you look hard enough, you’ll find somebody without pants on.”

Marci Crist, who owns a bed and breakfast on the islands, predicted the proposal wouldn’t float with most islanders.

“There’s virtually no crime on the island and, with the kind of crowd that (red light district) would bring, that might not be possible,” said Crist, adding she’s in favour of legalizing and regulating prostitution.

“There’s also the police situation — if a woman got in trouble with a violent man, it would take forever to get somebody out here.”

She took exception to Mammoliti’s comparison with the nude beach, noting many families go there. “It hasn’t got anything to do with selling sex professionally.”

Island residents are already the biggest NIMBY's in the city. I sort of chuckle at the notion of this actually happening.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Imagine the revenue for the ferry/tunnel. Imagine how much of a city Councillor's budget would go in toward 'business meeting on the Island'.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Damn lazy Torontonians...

Last comic-con and Anime Norths I went to really blew. Nothing to really get, no deals, no point.

Anybody got a good cheesecake place? Wish we had cheesecake factory up here...

Answer damn you, mario! ;(

dantehemi

Five guys burgers and fries (hwy 7 & weston rd) really good burger..hand formed patty great bun..i recomend. not sure about any other locations...anybody?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Kuro Madoushi said:
Damn lazy Torontonians...

Last comic-con and Anime Norths I went to really blew. Nothing to really get, no deals, no point.

Anybody got a good cheesecake place? Wish we had cheesecake factory up here...

Answer damn you, mario! ;(

Reply sent. Almost nothing useful, but I rambled for a bit. Haha..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom